Dance Hall of Fame to induct Michael Jackson

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
By JOSEPH DALTON, Special to the Times Union
First published in print: Sunday, May 2, 2010

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=927172&category=REGION

SARATOGA SPRINGS -- The late Michael Jackson will be inducted into the Dance Hall of Fame during events Aug. 14 and 15 at the National Museum of Dance in Saratoga Springs. The posthumous honor to the King of Pop is the first time a figure from rock and roll is so honored.

Since the Hall of Fame was established in 1987, 43 dancers and choreographers have been inducted, primarily from the fields of ballet and modern dance. The ranks include George Balanchine, Martha Graham and Bronislava Nijinska as well as Fred Astaire and tap dancer Bill "Bojangles" Robinson. The most recent honorees are Broadway star Tommy Tune and New York City Ballet chief Peter Martins.

The Jackson tribute comes on the heels of a controversial effort two years ago to induct John Travolta. Disagreement and strife arose among the museum's board, advisers and management about whether Travolta, primarily a film actor, deserved such an honor. But there were also complaints about the manner in which the nomination was handled.

Everyone is on board for Michael Jackson, says Michele Riggi, board chairman for the last five years. That includes the nominating committee, which is led by Denise Limoli, a retired dancer with the American Ballet Theatre currently on the faculty of Skidmore College.

"We want to include dance greats like those already inducted but also up-to-date dancers known by the broader public," says Riggi. "That will help get people into the museum where they can be educated on the greats that aren't so popular or well-known. We want a museum that's more exciting and popular."

The August celebrations will begin with the annual gala to be followed the next day by the induction ceremony. According to Riggi, the museum has reached out to the Michael Jackson estate, but no word has come as to whether any family members will attend. Scheduled to perform an homage to Jackson at the gala are the Lombard Twins, a young Argentine duo who Riggi says danced for the pop star in the years before his death.

Beyond the past difficulties with the Travolta nomination, the Dance Museum has been considered an unstable institution for many years, primarily due to a revolving door of administrators. At the helm of day-to-day management for the last two years has been Donna Skiff. She began there 10 years ago, first helping out with booking rentals for weddings and other special events.

"I worked for four different directors," says Skiff, referring to past managers who came primarily from the world of dance. "I'm a businesswoman, and that's what I think the museum has lacked in the past."

Skiff leads a staff of two other full-timers and three part-timers. During the summer's peak tourist season, about 40 volunteers are also on hand. According to Skiff, the museum's annual budget of about $450,000 comes from grants, rentals and tuition for its school of dance.

Currently on view is a redesigned display for the Hall of Fame, and exhibits on the Ballet Russes, the Japanese modern style known as Butoh, and dancers on postage stamps from around the world. The children's wing is undergoing a renovation, funded by a new grant, and Riggi says plans are under way to add a 50-seat theater.

"The museum has never looked so beautiful," says Riggi, a Saratoga Springs resident and full-time philanthropist. She adds that Travolta's induction is still in the works. And she has some other ideas.

"Perhaps 'Dancing with the Stars' will be inducted into our Hall of Fame," she says, referring to the TV series that showcases B-list celebrities on the ballroom dance floor. "It's the most popular show on television right now," says Riggi.

The National Museum of Dance is open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday through Sunday. Starting May 18, the hours will be 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday. For information on the August gala, call 584-2225.

A regular contributor to the Times Union, Joseph Dalton is the author of "Artists & Activists: Making Culture in New York's Capital Region."

Last edited:
Great news. It's appropriate for Michael to be the first ever "rock and roll" star to be inducted!

Congrads he should have been inducted but thats how people do...

grr. They make out that just because he's popular he's not good and that they are just using him for publicity. Well he can dance just as well or better than most people in that hall of fame. Still it's good he's in there finally.

He should have been inducted ages ago but never mind, better late than never. Michael did so much for dance he deserves this so much.

SARATOGA SPRINGS -- The late Michael Jackson will be inducted into the Dance Hall of Fame during events Aug. 14 and 15 at the National Museum of Dance in Saratoga Springs. The posthumous honor to the King of Pop is the first time a figure from rock and roll is so honored.
:clapping:THIS IS WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!:clapping:

Good news to hear but he should've been in it a long time ago. Still happy to hear about this though. Congrats Michael!!

grr. They make out that just because he's popular he's not good and that they are just using him for publicity. Well he can dance just as well or better than most people in that hall of fame. Still it's good he's in there finally.

you got it right.in the end its all for good.

THIS IS WONDERFUL NEWS!!

Yes. This is really great news.

MJ is in the:
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (twice)
- Song Writers Hall of Fame
- Dance Hall of Fame

I don't think we will see that done by anyone else

duh. but it's appreciated. dancing with the stars, though? i don't think so. it should be still reserved for the greats.

MJ is in the:
- Dance Hall of Fame

Nope, no one else has done that. Elvis fans cite that Elvis is better because he's in three seperate hall of fames but not anymore! Just wish Michael were here to give the speech himself :(

Great news. I've never seen anybody dance like Michael.
Should have been a lot sooner than this but it's better than nothing.

Congrats Michael. :heart:

I can understand Michael being inducted perfectly. I don't understand John Travolta, though. Perhaps I am just not old enough to understand his contribution to dance history.

Michael Jackson truly deserves this award; because he has inspired so many young people to dance.
Have some fun, click on the links below and watch the performances of some of the many young dance students Michael Jackson has inspired: :clapping:

Moon Walk on Point
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfrnau2QRjU&NR=1

Michael Jackson "Smile:" Ballet
Mayfair Academy 2009 Recital
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BlK1q-7ncQ&feature=related

Jazz Dance-Michael Jackson Black or White
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88BZiYTM_xk

Mayfair Academy Tap Dance
"Ease On Down the Road"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCexVljRtm0&feature=related

Just One More/ Human Nature
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsHwbfSv-n4[/font]

Last edited:

MJ is in the:
- Dance Hall of Fame

So true so true. This is one of the many reasons Michael is the greatest entertainer/performer/musician that ever lived!

I can understand Michael being inducted perfectly. I don't understand John Travolta, though. Perhaps I am just not old enough to understand his contribution to dance history.

No I'm old enough and Travolta is no dancer IMO. He had two films, Grease and Sat Night Fever where he danced, but other than that he has been notoriously an actor. That is why there was much controversy about his induction. His contribution to dance has been pretty much non-existent. Just look at Michael and see the enormous contributions Michael has had to the world of dance around the world. Well, I don't have to elaborate here since we all know Michael's prowess in this realm of entertainment.

I am happy for Michael. I love to watch him dance. When he danced he and the music became one. He worked so hard and gave his all each time he performed.

What a great honor for an incredible and inspirational dancer. I do Irish dance and use Michael's music all the time to warm up and play with rythm and timing.

Wahoooo! He deserves this SOOOOOOO much!

Go Mike! :dancin:

Congrats to the KING!! This award is long overdue..he should've been the first inductee..

Definitely well deserved.

There were many famous choreographers who grew up watching him dance and was inspired to continue career in that.

Seriously, everyone tried to do the moonwalk before... :p

Once, I tried dancing the robot and failed miserably.... xD LMAO!!!

By JOSEPH DALTON, Special to the Times Union
First published in print: Sunday, May 2, 2010

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=927172&category=REGION

Since the Hall of Fame was established in 1987, 43 dancers and choreographers have been inducted, primarily from the fields of ballet and modern dance. The ranks include George Balanchine, Martha Graham and Bronislava Nijinska as well as Fred Astaire and tap dancer Bill "Bojangles" Robinson. The most recent honorees are Broadway star Tommy Tune and New York City Ballet chief Peter Martins.

The August celebrations will begin with the annual gala to be followed the next day by the induction ceremony. According to Riggi, the museum has reached out to the Michael Jackson estate, but no word has come as to whether any family members will attend. Scheduled to perform an homage to Jackson at the gala are the Lombard Twins, a young Argentine duo who Riggi says danced for the pop star in the years before his death.
EXCELLENT :clapping: , Michael looooved Fred Astaire, he adooored the guy....we know Michael would be PROUD. Also Bojangles!!!! man its AWESOME! , i mean this is wonderful news... :wild:

Proud about my Argetinian people :D :yes:

by the way, IT WAS ABOUT TIME. :smilerolleyes: but its ok :yes:

MICHAEL LIVES ON :bow:

Nope, no one else has done that. Elvis fans cite that Elvis is better because he's in three seperate hall of fames but not anymore! Just wish Michael were here to give the speech himself :(

What are elvis's hall of fame inductions?

I think Michaels backupdancers from all his concerts are better than Travolta.At least they are dancers but Travolta hasn´t really been a dancer.
Someone said you can see the music in Michaels body.Michael was the dance.

Someone said you can see the music in Michaels body.Michael was the dance.

I think Diddy said something like 'Michael made me SEE the beat. He made the music come to life'. Sounds like he's talking about dancing..

Back