Coming Soon: A Wave of Michael Jackson Merchandise (AEG Involved)

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
Some 300 Michael Jackson-designed items, from sunglasses to board games, will be available in stores starting next week.

A new wave of Michael Jackson retail offerings is set to hit next week. Three weeks after the iconic singer's death, concert promoter AEG and giant Universal Music Group (VIV.PA) are expected to begin selling as many as 300 items designed by the 50-year-old singer, including knapsacks, wallets, belt buckles, sunglasses, china tea service sets, and a wide array of board and other games.

The quick turnaround was hardly intentional. Sources with knowledge of the deal say Jackson's manager, John Branca, approached Universal Music's Bravado merchandising group in June while the singer was preparing for his London comeback tour. Jackson's team and AEG, the tour's concert promoter, were eager to thwart the expected crush of pirated T-shirts and other merchandise that were already beginning to flood the market. Bravado Chief Executive Tom Bennett signed the deal and met in Los Angeles with Jackson in June, according to sources with knowledge of the deal, and reviewed designs that Jackson had created for many of the products.

Bravado is a small but growing part of Universal Music's $6.4 billion empire; last year it generated nearly $240 million in sales, nearly a threefold increase over 2007. The unit sells merchandise related to UMG stars such as Kanye West, Elton John, and Guns N' Roses. At the time of his death, Jackson did not have a record label, although his most recent albums had been distributed by UMG rival Sony Music (SNE). Universal's Motown label controls the rights to some of Jackson's earlier music, as well as music by the Jackson Five.

Huge Market Potential

The new line of Michael Jackson merchandise will be sold through a wide array of retailers, including Target (TGT), JC Penney (JCP), Hot Topic (HOTT), and other store chains that often work with UMG's music distribution network. The market could be huge. Sales of Jackson's music skyrocketed after his death, and the July 7 memorial was seen by huge audiences on TV and on the Web. The market for deceased icons has always been huge. Elvis Presley merchandise is estimated to generate more than $40 million in revenue a year three decades after his death.

The Jackson merchandise could also pick up steam with the widely expected release sometime in the coming months of new songs that Jackson recorded but had kept under wraps and was expected to release soon after his London tour began.

Grover is Los Angeles bureau chief for BusinessWeek.

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/jul2009/db2009078_795286.htm

god i HATE people that are cashing in on mJ's death.

I never felt so SICK to see MJ T shirts on display in the front of stores now.

I CAN NOT stand it.

The only solace is that it'll go to his family.

But AEG milking it for all its worth...i can't stand it. sorry.

I CAN NOT stand it.

I totally agree. It's such a shame that all they're thinking about is money :(

the only thing i can say to this is that it was already planned!!! MICHAEL would not of wanted for the world to stop and to keep making everybody happy with his work, this is all signed off and authorised by Michael so i think it is definetly safe to say he would of wanted you to buy and wear this with pride!!

the only thing i can say to this is that it was already planned!!! MICHAEL would not of wanted for the world to stop and to keep making everybody happy with his work, this is all signed off and authorised by Michael so i think it is definetly safe to say he would of wanted you to buy and wear this with pride!!

I can see both sides of the argument here. Maybe they should of waited a few weeks before the launch of all the merch though? With Michael's passing though, i don't, as i have said before (with no pun intended) for this to be it. I want to wear new t shirts to show i am a proud fan & want to carry on collecting stuff as i did before his passing.I want to hear his voice again in new recordings. I do have problems with the sudden influx of unofficial stuff made by people cashing in who couldn't give a damn about Michael before though. At least some portion of official merch goes towards his estate & it was given the approval by Michael before he passed.

Not interested.

Until we get to the bottom of what happened to Michael, Im not parting with any money that might line pockets of AEG.

i agree is so mean to do that :yes: :mat: i understand that is so mean

but some fans think o.k to buy his stuff before it's gone :yes: sorry like me :yes: :giggle:
sorry to say that i love Michael very music i repect his life and love and rest in peace but i never never evdr in my whole life ever get his stuff i try for years and years and know MJ is gone there is so much stuff coming out i just have to get them before it's gone :yes: sorry to say that but is true

I can see both sides of the argument here. Maybe they should of waited a few weeks before the launch of all the merch though? With Michael's passing though, i don't, as i have said before (with no pun intended) for this to be it. I want to wear new t shirts to show i am a proud fan & want to carry on collecting stuff as i did before his passing.I want to hear his voice again in new recordings. I do have problems with the sudden influx of unofficial stuff made by people cashing in who couldn't give a damn about Michael before though. At least some portion of official merch goes towards his estate & it was given the approval by Michael before he passed.

I agree. It's awful that they are cashing in on all of this stuff now, it sickens me that only AFTER his death do all these shops care, and put his stuff in their window.

However, I am slightly obsessed with Michael Jackson memoribilia and have been for 7 years. The good thing is, it seems like Michael wanted this, and he would want to know I'm sure that the stuff is selling, and hopefully some of this money goes to his kids.

Unfortunately.. Whatever it is, I'm going to get it!! I feel bad, but I LOVE it, I love buying his merchandise :(

Well if they were going to go through with this before, I don't see why people find it wrong that they're going through with it now? I mean of course fans are still sensitive and grieving, but from a business perspective, they had all this stuff already made and ordered.. what do you want them to do with it?

I CAN NOT stand it.

I agree :(

I CAN NOT stand it.

Cashing in on his death? These products were in the works before Michael died. He helped design them. They were going to come out now even if he hadn't died.

I CAN NOT stand it.

I somewhat agree with you.. but i dont think it's fair to blame AEG.. cause first of all these were products accepted by the king of pop himself.. Ofcourse not to be selled when he dies, but to be sold during the concerts..
Also for AEG the death of MJ is a huge economic crash for them.. I heard that apart from 50 bookings of the o2 arena(that will now be empty) they have lost around 300 million pounds..

Now please dont get me wrong.. ofcourse MJs death is the tragic part here, not that AEG has lost lots of money..
But still i wouldn't call it fair to accuse them for trying to sell merchandise that had already been produced and had planned to be sold..

I think that if Mike had signed a deal with AEG to sell these items and the Jackson family are ok with them being sold (hopefully they are), then we should just be happy with that.

AEG are a company and have lost so much money because of the cancellation of these concerts and it's not fair to have a go at them for selling MJ stuff.

I just wonder whether this stuff will make it into UK shops. After all, the concerts were going to be held here, not in the US. So far, we have had non-AEG posters.

im disgusted but i guess it'll be kewl to wear a michael shirt again. i'll stick w/ my old ones but willbe venturing to hot topic to see what they have. z has some bob marley and run dmc shirts so if target starts to carry some for kids, im all for it

Yeah, I saw those plates. They are fugly. :lol: And LOL @ people saying AEG are cashing in. This stuff was due to be sold at the concerts anyway, I suppose you would've been queueing up at the merchandise stalls at the O2 and saying 'OMG AEG are cashing in!' whilst handing your money over? :smilerolleyes:

shame how they never treated the man with this
much respect when he was alive, the man has died and they think it is ok
to go ahead and sell t shirts. i my eyes there all thinking
money money moey
and seeing pound signs in their eyes.
shame they could have thought to do this when he was alive.
but i spouse its just a matter ill have to get used to.

in my eyes its just an other way of making money.

Cashing in on his death? These products were in the works before Michael died. He helped design them. They were going to come out now even if he hadn't died.

Yup. There's no pleasing some people. And then if AEG didn't release it, there'd be threads/posts saying how dare AEG for withholding official merchandise that Michael designed where some of the profits would go to Jackson's estate, that the fans deserve to see/buy official products, and there'd be statements like F AEG for allowing bootleg vendors to profit from Michael's death while Michael's children/the estate would lose out.

People used to complain that the public doesn't want anything to do w/ Michael and doesn't respect him, and now people complain that the public wants to celebrate and respect Michael. . . . Wow, make up your minds.

MJ designed those items himself?
hahahahah...don't bullshit.

If it was already planned to sell stuff before Michael died, there's nothing wrong with it IMO.

However I do think they are jumping the gun a bit.

They are a business, they are out there to make money. Fair play to them

Michael is dead, they have all this merchandise.............makes sense to sell it now

Its good for us fans because we can buy it

(sigh)

Ok first of all im just venting some frustrations.

Second of all, I know these products were MICHAEL'S...I know his family will benefit...thats why i said "the only solace is in the fact that his family will benefit"...

Im mad about the fact that it has to take MJ's death in order for people to 'celebrate' him. Yes yes yes and YES, I'm mad about that. So if that means I "can't make up my mind" so be it.

And people around the world, not just AEG are cashing in and jumping the bandwagon. Stores down town have MJ shirts on their FIRST display...be it 2 weeks ago, I wouldn't be able to find a MJ shirt no where...except for teh ones that imply he molested kids and had too much surgery.

So YES, I'm mad and frustrated about that. AEG...I dunno about what their intentions are, whatever..but in general i am pissed that MJ's death is cash money to people that could've cared less about WHERE he ended up, dead or in jail, 2-3 weeks ago.

MJ designed those items himself?
hahahahah...don't bullshit.

When they say designed we know they actually means designs were submitted & Michael gave the nod to what he liked. If they think that the fans believe Michael actually sat down & started drawing designs for this stuff they must be living in cloud cuckoo land.

Is true, AEG is just concerned on how not to lose their investment, but this products where designed and or approved by Michael himself.

Some of this items will be limited editions. For instance:
This Is IT! First Concert Shirt --> only available 'till July 13 at midnight.

BGCTMJ49.JPG

So I left you the link to this merchandise. And you'll make your final decision :)

http://michaeljacksonmerch.sparkart.net/

even if it was plkanned it would have nbeen some what decent to wait a bit longer i mean he s not even found a final restingplace yet
but then again it has always been all about money and never about michael all it take to figure that out is turn on every tv station in the world and open every magazine

even if it was plkanned it would have nbeen some what decent to wait a bit longer i mean he s not even found a final restingplace yet
but then again it has always been all about money and never about michael all it take to figure that out is turn on every tv station in the world and open every magazine

I agree, they could of at least waited for a couple of more weeks.

(sigh)

Ok first of all im just venting some frustrations.

Second of all, I know these products were MICHAEL'S...I know his family will benefit...thats why i said "the only solace is in the fact that his family will benefit"...

Im mad about the fact that it has to take MJ's death in order for people to 'celebrate' him. Yes yes yes and YES, I'm mad about that. So if that means I "can't make up my mind" so be it.

And people around the world, not just AEG are cashing in and jumping the bandwagon. Stores down town have MJ shirts on their FIRST display...be it 2 weeks ago, I wouldn't be able to find a MJ shirt no where...except for teh ones that imply he molested kids and had too much surgery.

So YES, I'm mad and frustrated about that. AEG...I dunno about what their intentions are, whatever..but in general i am pissed that MJ's death is cash money to people that could've cared less about WHERE he ended up, dead or in jail, 2-3 weeks ago.

I agree with you with respect to everyone jumping on the bandwagon. It's INCREDIBLY frustrating. Beforehand you couldn't find MJ on the cover of a magazine, you couldn't find a single t-shirt...now that he's dead, he's EVERYWHERE. THAT frustrates me.

But not AEG trying to sell what they already inked a deal on.

Back