[Campaign] Let's Make BAD25 #1 on Billboard 200!

Sunwalker7;3707553 said:
Where did you get that information? (I'm not questioning the validity of it, just genuinely curious because I've heard people say different things, and I don't think Billboard has been very clear on this.)

It's a bit of a shame if the sales don't count towards Bad's sales. Bad25 could have given Bad a nice boost on the all-time best selling albums list.

Every country has different chart and sale number rules regarding special editions and re-releases. That part I'm sure. I was wrong about US. Apparently both Thriller SE & Thriller 25 were counted as Thriller in US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jackson_albums_discography

Look at Other albums (remix, soundtracks, etc.) part.

For Special Editions and Thriller 25 in some countries there is "a" – In these countries, the re-issues were counted with the original album.

OnirMJ;3707556 said:
Every country has different chart and sale number rules regarding special editions and re-releases. That part I'm sure. I was wrong about US. Apparently both Thriller SE & Thriller 25 were counted as Thriller in US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jackson_albums_discography

Look at Other albums (remix, soundtracks, etc.) part.

For Special Editions and Thriller 25 in some countries there is "a" – In these countries, the re-issues were counted with the original album.

Ok, thank you for the information.

I just wish Billboard would make their policy regarding re-releases clearer. A while ago I found a Billboard Q&A where they answered a question about album re-releases. According to their answer, they count a re-release's sales towards the original if the re-release doesn't have more than 1 CD of new material. But I don't know what that means for Bad25, because it's sold in different packages. It wouldn't make much sense if the standard 2CD edition counts towards the original's sales, but the 3CD edition doesn't.

So, I have no idea how they're going to count the sales.

But it seems clear that at least in some countries the sales will be included in the original's sales, like you said.

RIAA the company that certifies record sales as Gold, Platinum etc counts unit sales. Whereas Billboard counts only album sales otherwise HIStory would have been #1 for a few more weeks.

If 1M people buy the Deluxe package, it will be counted as 1M albums and that is what matters on the charts, but it is actually 3M units.

Depending on country. Every country has different chart and sale number rules regarding special editions and re-releases. In US it will not be added to the sales of Bad.

Those numbers by John Branca were official numbers, but probably physical sales (which in 2010 were at 36M) + digital sales of original album and special edition.

104M number for Thriller is number of units sold, meaning physical sales (which in 2010 were at 69M) + digital sales + all singles and music videos released from Thriller.

afaik, Billboard counts units, so, if the boxset sells 150k. it will/should be 450k units for Billboard chart.
The same was with HIStory, it had 7xplatinum but it was 3,5 mill. sets in the 90s, now its around 5 mill. sets=10 mill. units=2 CDs

Back