Bravado files infringement suits for unauthorized MJ stuff. / Update: New lawsuit filed

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date
Re: MJ Memorabilia Company -- Majorly T'd Off

MJ Memorabilia Company -- Majorly T'd Off

Originally posted Jun 17th 2010 1:01 AM PDT by TMZ Staff
Michael Jackson's likeness is at the center of a serious turf war -- and now an official MJ merchandising company is trying to squash a website for getting all up in their t-shirt bidness.

0617-mj-shirts-ex-credit-1.jpg

Bravado International -- which was empowered by the MJ estate to be the exclusive merchandising company of MJ memorabilia -- filed papers in L.A. federal court yesterday, claiming Emoda.com has selling MJ t-shirts without permission.

Now Bravado is on the rampage and wants to clean out their tiny competition -- demanding three times the site's profits from the t-shirts, plus hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages.
:bugeyed

It seems that this is a frequent problem > selling MJ T-shirts without permission.

I bet it must be happening in various places around the world (selling MJ products without permission) and has not yet been discovered. :unsure: It is a kind of thing I think you can not have 100% control. :mello:

if they can scare people with all these news about the lawsuits, people will think twice before making and selling items.

WWE still has this problem with many people making unauthorised T-shirts. You cant get them all.

Ivy: Hi, I was wondering as an artist I love to paint Michael, problem is I only have so much wall space so some will have to be sold :( the older ones, on the likes of ebay, can I get into trouble for selling my oil paintings?
Thanks in advance, u have a good head on your shoulders :)

Ivy: Hi, I was wondering as an artist I love to paint Michael, problem is I only have so much wall space so some will have to be sold :( the older ones, on the likes of ebay, can I get into trouble for selling my oil paintings?
Thanks in advance, u have a good head on your shoulders :)

Janart - as long as it's not an exact replica, you don't mass produce and use trademarks on it (such as MJ, King of Pop etc), you'll be fine

Art and artists are protected by first amendment and it will be classified as art if it's unique and has your interpretation / expression..

For example the painting I see in your signature has Michael through out the years so it's a unique idea and composition and has a message even though it uses known pictures.

So in short you'll be fine selling a few paintings.

Janart - as long as it's not an exact replica, you don't mass produce and use trademarks on it (such as MJ, King of Pop etc), you'll be fine

Art and artists are protected by first amendment and it will be classified as art if it's unique and has your interpretation / expression..

For example the painting I see in your signature has Michael through out the years so it's a unique idea and composition and has a message even though it uses known pictures.

So in short you'll be fine selling a few paintings.

Thank u sooo much ivy u r a wonder :)

Now Bravado is on the rampage and wants to clean out their tiny competition -- demanding three times the site's profits from the t-shirts, plus hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages.
:bugeyed:bugeyed:bugeyed:bugeyed
how much damaged received Bravado for this???

Thanks Ivy for the explanations, as usual, your comments and info are priceless.

no shirts
no belts
no thing

:bugeyed:bugeyed:bugeyed:bugeyed
how much damaged received Bravado for this???

I personally do not think it's about damages or money. It looks like a scare tactic to me.

They do not want MJ's name,trademarks and likeliness being used without authorization. They actually start with cease and desist requests - which these company didn't listen to. Then they are just showing that they are serious. It's like saying "okay so you won't stop selling MJ products? Then I'll hit you with a lawsuit claiming large amounts of money".

They'll make an example of a few companies/bootleggers etc and then all the other companies/ people etc around the world would think twice before they infringe copyrights and trademarks.

I personally do not think it's about damages or money. It looks like a scare tactic to me.

They do not want MJ's name,trademarks and likeliness being used without authorization. They actually start with cease and desist requests - which these company didn't listen to. Then they are just showing that they are serious. It's like saying "okay so you won't stop selling MJ products? Then I'll hit you with a lawsuit claiming large amounts of money".

They'll make an example of a few companies/bootleggers etc and then all the other companies/ people etc around the world would think twice before they infringe copyrights and trademarks.

yes, I got that from your previous comment and I think that is really fair. They have the rights, they can use them. And if they warn these people and they will not stop... then they are asking for being sued, imo :doh:

Back