Bravado files infringement suits for unauthorized MJ stuff. / Update: New lawsuit filed

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date
Re: Bravado files infringement suits for unauthorized MJ stuff.

I see that at justice4mj.com, they said this:

DUE TO THREATS ON OUR FAMILIES AND AN ORDER TO CEASE AND DECIST,
WE HAVE REMOVED THE JUSTICE4MJ T-SHIRTS.
Unknown to us, the "MJ" is supposedly not allowed to be used.

I really liked the tshirts & was just about to order one, so makes me sad. I don't know how they can claim the letters MJ though - it's lots of people's initials.

Also Muzikfactory2 had to change the music to one of her videos, but its back up, with changed music.

The Justice4MJ had a ustream last week..apparently Karen Faye & her pawns ratted them out to Bravado.

There is a major war brewing between the different MJ fans VS Karen Faye fans. The later are the ones threatening the J4MJ , their family & kids.

People already called the police & FBI on Karen Faye & co for these threats.

CRAZY!!!

Last edited:

@ Rockin - I believe those big stores probably have agreements/authorization with Bravado and paying trademark fees etc. For example in USA, Hot Topic and Walmart have been selling quite Michael related stuff and they are all authorized.

I don't mean they sell authorised Bravado shirts. I'm talking about them selling tshirts where the designer has used an image of Michael. For example Topshop sells a concession called Tee and Cake they had a tshirt with Michael's image on [It was such a cool design, I wanted one but it's impossible to find now :( I can't even find a trace of it's existence on the net anymore] Lots of designers with a large or small following have used Michael's image.. like they use the image of other icons. Is that not going to be allowed anymore?

This makes me curious...what about Michael Jackson artwork? Like real paintings and stuff that people make and sell? Are they going to stop people from doing that too? 'Cause currently it seems to be allowed....I haven't heard anything about them cracking down on those people. I don't see the difference between creating your own MJ art and selling it on a t-shirt vs. selling it as a print.

Interesting question.. surely artists will still be able to paint Michael and sell the painting? .... or not?

likeness of ppl image are copyrighted so yes i guess they can stop it. top shop selling an unoffical top is no different to the man on the street doing it.

re the justice 4 mj. only just scanned the thread but seems about OTT that they are being gone after. i presume they can contact the estate and make a request to use his likeness etc. i hardly doubt they want fans to be treated the same as some boot legger

I don't mean they sell authorised Bravado shirts. I'm talking about them selling tshirts where the designer has used an image of Michael. For example Topshop sells a concession called Tee and Cake they had a tshirt with Michael's image on [It was such a cool design, I wanted one but it's impossible to find now :( I can't even find a trace of it's existence on the net anymore] Lots of designers with a large or small following have used Michael's image.. like they use the image of other icons. Is that not going to be allowed anymore?

Interesting question.. surely artists will still be able to paint Michael and sell the painting? .... or not?

The examples that I gave were not selling authorized Bravado shirts. They have their own MJ products which they do and sell with the approval of the estate/Bravado and paying them trademark fees/ part of profits etc. I'd think that companies such as Top Shop would have similar agreements.

Up to this time they are only going after trademark infringement, not image and likeliness.

Wow. So am I right in thinking that anyone who sells a tshirt with Michael's photograph on, or his name will be prosecuted? Like all those on Ebay or even actual stores like Topshop, Next, River Island, Amplified...etc. etc.? Those from actual stores, especially ones I have from Topshop and Amplified are waaay better quality than the ones I have from Bravado.

Nah, not just 'anyone' who sells MJ shirts will be sent a c&d. Only those that are not officially licensed/approved need to worry. The New Look and Topman shirts from a year or two ago were. So are the Amplified shirts. They weren't made BY Bravado but they were officially licensed. The people like J4MJ and the bootleggers on eBay that are selling shirts with his photo, name (which is trademarked), likeness, or any trademarked logos - for WHATEVER purpose - are essentially making profit from copyrighted material, which is ILLEGAL. Bravado have every right to sue. The unlicensed merchandise is only benefiting people who are making this stuff for a quick profit, the estate will be losing money because of people buying cheap knock-offs online instead of the real thing. It's also encouraging others to join in and illegally sell this stuff. I've seen countless eBay profiles with dozens and dozens of bootleg items like magnets, keyrings, shirts and prints. There was a report last year about the vast amount of fake merch that was being churned out and how the estate was losing money and trying to clamp down on this stuff. This is the first real step they've taken though, it seems.

So they file a law suit against MJ fans?

What the heck?

I won't buy Bravado stuff anymore. The T-shirts are too expensive but with low quality.

Shame on them!

someone told me that thome thome is somehow connected to bravado, a group was asked to cease any shirts created and it was somehow connected to him

Bravado is a UK based firm owned by Universal Music Group.

Hello everyone,

This is Erin from Justice4mj.com. I just wanted to thank you guys for your support. We were informed that we we in copyright violation for using "MJ". It was never our intention to use something that was copyrighted we figured "MJ" would be fine, since it is just initials. We were wrong. It is important to get our message out so we came up with a new design where we are in complete compliance. Hope you guys like.
http://www.words4lifetees.com/
Erin
Justice4mj.com

Thank you for the new info on the T-shirts! I love them and just ordered 4 for my friends as gifts!!
They are amazing way for MJ's fans to be UNITED for him!!
Thanks for your caring of his legacy!

changed views

Last edited:

it's a registered trademark. they can claim trademark infringement when it's obviously being used for Michael Jackson.

http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=77806913

edit:
Triumph International, Inc holds the trademarks for MJ, Michael Jackson, King of Pop, Thriller, Neverland Ranch, Neverland Valley Ranch, Thriller 25, Neverland logo and MJJ Feet logo.

The Michael Jackson Company holds the trademarks for This is it.

Is it not true that this only applies if you charge? ... If everything is free as a text that says Justice 4 Michael there won’t be any problems right? It may well be someone else. If I make a T-shirt for myself, they can’t say something if it is just a text. My father's name could be Michael. I think that you just can’t sell it. They had no problem with the flags can it be that it is because they are not sold? People could make their own flag with the free text at their site. If we don’t use a picture or the word King of Pop or Michael Jackson together they can’t say anything. What if my initials are MJ and I want a T-shirt for myself that says MJ on should I pay them for it? :doh: I relly hope not.

So the estate has a contract with Bravado International Group. Do we have any link to this deal?
I wonder if they are going to sue me for printing my own MJ tees. I've got two of them LOL

Re: All TMZ stories about Investigation Information

I have also read at Facebook that at least one group that does and sells t-shirts got a letter from Bravado Intl. Group Merchandising Services asking them to cease and desist of anything that uses "MJ" .

Before anyone jumps to conclusions let me add this legal tidbit: As you know the estate has a lawsuit against Heal the World Foundation and one of things is they are trying to do is stop them from selling products with "MJ" on them. In accordance to this it's expected for them to do cease and desist letters for any product that has "MJ" on them. Otherwise they would give HTWF a valid legal argument.

So you're saying Bravado is after the group on behalf of the estate so that there is no precedent case of trademark abuse that can be used by HTWF?
Seems a little complicated but it does make sense.
And where exactly does Triumph fit in? Were they assigned these trademarks by Bravado?

Thanks for bearing with my questions LOL

so all this simply means, that ANY ONE no matter who they are or for what purpose it is, who SELLS something with Michaels name or image will be issued with a cease and desist. If you print an image off the internet and use it for a tshirt or banner , thats ok, but once you start MAKING MONEY from a copywright image or text then Bravado will come after you. Thats why the JUSTICE4MJ group were issued with a cease and desist, cos they were SELLING tshirts which used a copyright image, which in the eyes of Bravado, is the same as ANY bootlegger.

Is it not true that this only applies if you charge? ... What if my initials are MJ and I want a T-shirt for myself that says MJ on should I pay them for it? :doh: I relly hope not.

I wonder if they are going to sue me for printing my own MJ tees. I've got two of them LOL

You can make t shirts for your own use. You just can't sell them. So no worries there.

And where exactly does Triumph fit in? Were they assigned these trademarks by Bravado?

Triumph is a company that is wholly owned by Michael (and now his estate). Triumph is the company that applies for and holds all these Michael Jackson related trademarks.

Bravado is a merchandise company that is owned by Universal Music Group. MJ's estate has an agreement with them allowing them to produce official merchandise that uses MJ's trademarks. And estate is getting a share from the profits.

So you're saying Bravado is after the group on behalf of the estate so that there is no precedent case of trademark abuse that can be used by HTWF? Seems a little complicated but it does make sense.

Let me try to give an example. Let's assume that my name "ivy" is trademarked and you start posting on this forum using "ivy". and I see and know this but don't ask you to stop for some time. Later I ask you to stop and then you can argue that I gave you my approval to use it just because not taking any action.

In their defense HTWF was arguing a similar thing so the estate needs to show that they are not allowing anyone to use the trademarks and asking people to stop using them (and if necessary suing them) as soon as they find out. hope it's clearer now.

Thanks Ivy, it's much clearer now.
So HTWF claim they were allowed to use MJ trademarks at a time? Would the estate allow that to happen?
Sorry if it's getting off topic,one question brings another LOL

I can't quote for some reason, but thanks to who replied to my questions.

Interesting that they can trademark MJ, they're just initials. There is a garage near where I live called MJ Car Sales.. nothing to do with Michael Jackson. The owner's name is Michael Johnson. There are several 'MJ Car Sales' around the country, and a website. Wonder if they'll get contacted LoL.

@Justice4MJ people - Couldn't you have used 'Justice for Michael'? Or did they tell you that wasn't allowed either?

Thanks Ivy, it's much clearer now.
So HTWF claim they were allowed to use MJ trademarks at a time? Would the estate allow that to happen?
Sorry if it's getting off topic,one question brings another LOL

one of their claims is that they have started the charity with MJ's name sometime 2008 and no one asked them stop during this time period and therefore it means that they were given kinda an indirect approval.

however
- they might started it 2008 but that doesn't mean that Michael was aware of it and
- statue of limitations is 4 years in trademark infringement.

so HTWF does not really have any validity in their claim.

Interesting that they can trademark MJ, they're just initials. There is a garage near where I live called MJ Car Sales.. nothing to do with Michael Jackson. The owner's name is Michael Johnson. There are several 'MJ Car Sales' around the country, and a website. Wonder if they'll get contacted LoL.

no they won't as they have nothing to do with Michael

see: MJ is trademarked mainly for entertainment, music, performance, TV, Film, radio, recording, songs, dance etc and you cannot use it to symbolize Michael Jackson (when MJ obviously means Michael Jackson)

so if your initials are MJ and have your initials on anything you are fine, if you are not doing anything related to entertainment you are fine as well..

So MJ Car Sales is completely okay to use - unless the owner uses a Michael Jackson photo and/or claims/hints/says that MJ stands for Michael Jackson

Michael gave most of his rights for merchandise to AEG and Bravado (both companies are tied, each AEG act has its merchandise produced and distributed by Bravado) when he signed for the TII shows.

Now they try to control all aspects of the merchandise stuff.
But at the same time if fans pay attention to the itrems sold by Bravado, they will realize they are the same range developped for other AEG-signed artiosts.

And somebody tell me what a class bar set and a corkscrew have to do with Michael's image and legacy ?

These are just products geared not taking into account the publc's wishes.

Triumph is a company that is wholly owned by Michael (and now his estate). Triumph is the company that applies for and holds all these Michael Jackson related trademarks.

Wrong.......Triumph is NOT owned by Michael or the Estate, its owned by AL MALNIK!

31633563.jpg

Owner address is Malniks. Why does Malnik have anything to do with Michael period 7 years later and why is it all hush hush?
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91511

Wrong.......Triumph is NOT owned by Michael or the Estate, its owned by AL MALNIK!

Please do not bring wrong information and conspiracy to the News and Happenings.

For everyone see below

go to http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/cbs.aspx - official business search page of California

put TRIUMPH INTERNATIONAL, INC. as corporation name and do a search

click on the active registration

on the top you'll see "Data is updated weekly and is current as of Friday, May 07, 2010"

Entity Name: TRIUMPH INTERNATIONAL, INC.
Entity Number: C1301282
Date Filed: 03/09/1984
Jurisdiction: CALIFORNIA
Entity Address: ZIFFREN BRITTENHAM LLP, C/O JOHN BRANCA, 1801 CENTURY PARK WEST
Entity City, State, Zip: LOS ANGELES CA 90067-6406
Agent for Service of Process: VINCENT CHIEFFO
Agent Address: C/O GREENBERG TRAURIG, 2450 COLORADO AVE., SUITE 400E
Agent City, State, Zip: PASADENA CA 90404

As you can see it's controlled by Michael's estate and currently Al Malnik has nothing to do with it.

I have a Bravado MJ t-shirt I sure hope they don't come after me with it. It is a picture of Michael from the Thriller era. Or any of my many other MJ t-shirts that I have. Plus my first 2 initials is MJ only reverse. But I prefer my middle name more than my first name. I was going to make my own justice 4 Michael t-shirt. But knowing this now I am not going to. At least I can still hopefully wear my everyday MJ t-shirts 24/7. It is really the only kind of shirts I would wear now.

Please do not bring wrong information and conspiracy to the News and Happenings.

As you can see it's controlled by Michael's estate and currently Al Malnik has nothing to do with it.
Thank you!

I have a Bravado MJ t-shirt I sure hope they don't come after me with it. It is a picture of Michael from the Thriller era. Or any of my many other MJ t-shirts that I have. Plus my first 2 initials is MJ only reverse. But I prefer my middle name more than my first name. I was going to make my own justice 4 Michael t-shirt. But knowing this now I am not going to. At least I can still hopefully wear my everyday MJ t-shirts 24/7. It is really the only kind of shirts I would wear now.

Don't worry, you wouldn't be in any trouble if you did. They are only going after people who make these shirts and then sell them to the public. It doesn't matter if you make one just for yourself.

For everyone see below

go to http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/cbs.aspx - official business search page of California

put TRIUMPH INTERNATIONAL, INC. as corporation name and do a search

click on the active registration

on the top you'll see "Data is updated weekly and is current as of Friday, May 07, 2010"

Entity Name: TRIUMPH INTERNATIONAL, INC.
Entity Number: C1301282
Date Filed: 03/09/1984
Entity Address: ZIFFREN BRITTENHAM LLP, C/O JOHN BRANCA, 1801 CENTURY PARK WEST
Entity City, State, Zip: LOS ANGELES CA 90067-6406
Agent for Service of Process: VINCENT CHIEFFO
Agent Address: C/O GREENBERG TRAURIG, 2450 COLORADO AVE., SUITE 400E
Agent City, State, Zip: PASADENA CA 90404

Thank you Ivy...you are the resident legal counsel for MJJC.
:clapping:

Just noticed there is a new Michael Jackson Foundation. Wonder if it was created by the estate to distribute the 20% as directed by the will.

Data is updated weekly and is current as of Friday, May 14, 2010. It is not a complete or certified record of the entity.

Entity Name: MICHAEL JACKSON INTERNATIONAL FOUNDATION
Entity Number: C3281958
Date Filed: 01/29/2010
Entity Address: 12 SO FIRST ST STE 501
Entity City, State, Zip: SAN JOSE CA 95113
Agent for Service of Process: MARTIN LAZO CUEVAS
Agent Address: 12 SO FIRST ST STE 501
Agent City, State, Zip: SAN JOSE CA 95113

It made me sick when he died to see leeches profiting off him with worthless knockoff crap. I don't regard so called fans who buy it very highly.

MJ Memorabilia Company -- Majorly T'd Off

MJ Memorabilia Company -- Majorly T'd Off

Originally posted Jun 17th 2010 1:01 AM PDT by TMZ Staff
Michael Jackson's likeness is at the center of a serious turf war -- and now an official MJ merchandising company is trying to squash a website for getting all up in their t-shirt bidness.

0617-mj-shirts-ex-credit-1.jpg

Bravado International -- which was empowered by the MJ estate to be the exclusive merchandising company of MJ memorabilia -- filed papers in L.A. federal court yesterday, claiming Emoda.com has selling MJ t-shirts without permission.

Now Bravado is on the rampage and wants to clean out their tiny competition -- demanding three times the site's profits from the t-shirts, plus hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages.

Back