August 8-10, 2008 (Update for August 10, 2008 on post #178)

Re: August 08 - 10 News and Mentionings

He said: "He was the most coolest, humblest dude I've ever seen. It was a trip."

Don't you love how the media left this quote from Akon out and decided to focus on him saying he went to the movies in his P.J.s?

Thanks for the Akon clip. So that's where the story came from.

http://www.chorleycitizen.co.uk/leisure/3582554.Interview__Rick_Guard/

But his most impressive achievements came when he performed with Lionel Richie, Shirley Bassey and Ronan Keating. His experience with Lionel, Rick says, was a highlight of his career. Rick was complimented by the star who told him: “I love your writing style. It reminds me of some work I did with Michael (Jackson).” In shock, Rick dropped his glass of wine down the front of Lionel’s trousers!
Rick said: “I’ll never forget Lionel Richie. What more of a compliment can you get, and what more can I hope to achieve in my career than a comment like that? I remember thinking to myself when he said it, ‘Michael? Who does he mean?’ And when I realised who he meant, I couldn’t believe he was comparing my work to that of his and Michael Jackson’s. I nearly wet myself. I remember not even being that nervous though when we performed. I’m more scared of small crowds where you can see everyone’s expressions.”

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080809/ENT03/808090397

Q: I remember a TV show in the early 1980s about a group of cowboys in the old West who somehow wound up in modern times in a big city.
A: That was "Outlaws," which ran on CBS in 1986-87. The hombres zapped from 1886 to 1986 were John Grail (Rod Taylor), Harland Pike (William Lucking), Ice McAdams (Richard Roundtree), Wolf Lucas (Charles Napier) and Billy Pike (Patrick Houser). Once they arrived in the 1980s and got used to things like indoor plumbing and Michael Jackson, they became, of course, private detectives

http://www.oxfordmail.net/display.var.2421564.0.chart_singer_left_penniless.php

But when Whole Lotta Love took off it was beyond her wildest dreams and filled dancefloors across Europe.
The singer, who lives in Sandy Lane and names soul singer Janis Joplin as a key influence, saw the song chart at number three - ahead of Michael Jackson's Earth Song, released at the same time.

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080809/ENCORE01/686880092/-1/OPINION02

But the tide was turning against them. The variety show format was dying. They could no longer find a foothold with their live-action morning children’s programming; Saturday mornings by that point belonged to animated cartoons. More than that, the business of television had changed. The Kroffts were true independent producers; they had made their shows on their own (usually small) budgets and then brought the finished product to the networks. By the ’90s, that model was outdated.

Plenty of people approached the Kroffts about buying their library, usually at fire-sale prices. They said no to every offer, even the one from pop superstar Michael Jackson.

http://www.songwriteruniverse.com/contestwinner61-123.htm

Palmer, who is 21, grew up in Atlanta, GA, where he was inspired early on by listening to Michael Jackson, Mariah Carey and other artists. When he was seven he started to play piano, and when he was 14, he began writing songs. “During high school, I would write my own material, and record demos,” recalled Palmer. “Then (in 2005) when I was a senior, I released a CD (14 songs) called Getaway.

http://blog.zap2it.com/korbitv/2008/08/sytycd-winner-j.html

But Josh doesn't plan to sit around for long. "I really want to be a recording artist," the aspiring singer told reporters, saying he hopes to catch the eye of a record company, and would love to work with Omarion, Chris Brown, Usher, Neo, Missy Elliott or Justin Timberlake.
At the top of the list, however, is Michael Jackson, a longtime inspiration. "I know it's kind of a big [request], but I really want to meet and talk to him," Josh said

http://top40-charts.com/news/RnB/Sitting-In-The-Park/42178.html

With the help of heavy hitters like Leanard Jackson and David Williams the possibilities for this next venture are endless. Leanard Jackson has mixed anything that was a hit for two decades, such as George Clinton and Rose Royce.David Williams the guitar player for Michael Jackson, Madonna and many others, comes with over 300 platinum works under his belt. Make way for Ajibade, the next international sensation, artist/writer /producer.

Re: August 8-10, 2008 (Update for August 9. 2008 on post #160)

here is some saturday news i found :yes:

Court: No Higher Standard for Service on Michael Jackson

By STEVEN M. ELLIS, Staff Writer

A Los Angeles Superior Court judge improperly focused on the defendant’s celebrity status to impose a higher standard on a woman’s request to serve by publication her complaint accusing pop star Michael Jackson of harassment, this district’s Court of Appeal ruled yesterday.

Reversing Judge Jacqueline Connor’s order dismissing the action with prejudice, Div. Two ruled in an unpublished opinion that Helen Harris-Scott’s previous unsuccessful attempts to serve Jackson personally and by mail—and the fact that his current country of residence is unknown—supported the request.

Acting in pro per, Harris-Scott filed suit in April 2006 accusing Jackson of stalking, surveillance and harassment at her California home.

Over the following months, she attempted to serve Jackson personally and by mail at his Neverland ranch in Los Olivos in Santa Barbara County, at another residence Jackson co-owns and at his mother’s residence.

After she hired a process server to locate Jackson in Las Vegas to no avail, and after her attorney discovered that Jackson’s California corporation had been dissolved, she asked Jackson’s attorney to divulge his client’s location or accept service on his behalf, but was rebuffed and informed that Jackson had left the country.

Harris-Scott made a number of other attempts at service, including leaving the summons and complaint at the gates of the Neverland ranch because it was impossible to actually reach the residence, but requested that Connor authorize service by publication after all were unsuccessful.

However, Connor, remarking that “the case law would work if it was a normal human being like you or I...[but this] is Michael Jackson,” concluded Harris-Scott had not been sufficiently diligent in her efforts. Denying the request, Connor granted a motion by Jackson’s counsel to quash service and dismissed the action with prejudice.

Writing for the Court of Appeal, Presiding Justice Roger W. Boren initially commented that Connor’s dismissal order—which cited Code of Civil Procedure Secs. 572 and 581—was “reversible on its face” because the former section was inapplicable, and the latter only permits dismissals without prejudice.

Turning to Harris-Scott’s request to publish service, he also noted that Sec. 415.5 allows service by publication on defendants whose whereabouts cannot be determined with reasonable diligence and who have no known fixed location where service can otherwise be effected, and concluded that Harris-Scott had been sufficiently diligent.

“Standards of diligence do not require appellant to conduct a country-by-country search for an elusive defendant,” Boren wrote.

“It appears that the trial court was cognizant that appellant has made diligent efforts to locate and serve Jackson. But the court held appellant to a different—and higher—standard because the defendant is a celebrity.

“Contrary to the court’s belief, the law applies equally to celebrities and noncelebrities. It was an abuse of discretion to require appellant to surmount a higher standard of diligence simply because she is suing someone famous.”

Boren similarly rejected counsel’s argument that Harris-Scott had failed to demonstrate a “cause of action” as required under Sec. 415.5, opining that her declaration under penalty of perjury attached to the complaint giving details based on personal knowledge of her claim that Jackson allegedly committed wrongful acts of stalking gave rise both to a cause of action and to personal jurisdiction.

Justices Kathryn Doi Todd and Victoria M. Chavez joined Boren in his opinion.

here is website:http://www.metnews.com/articles/2008/jack080808.htm

here is another news for saturday news

Rapper Akon on Michael Jackson
Updated 12.07 Sat Aug 09 2008

Rapper Akon has spoken of his first meeting with King of Pop Michael Jackson.

He said: "He was the most coolest, humblest dude I've ever seen. It was a trip."

Rapper Akon said there is professional chemistry between himself and Michael Jackson: "When we met each other it was almost like we had known each other for years. Because musically we're on the same exact page. Like he would say it before I'd say it, or he may have an idea and I'd come out and say if before he said it. It was like chemistry, energy like."

Akon has also revealed the details of a spontaneous trip to the movies:

"He's in his pyjamas and I'm waiting to see if he is going to change. He puts on his shoes, grabs a scarf, puts it around his head. Grabs the kids, grabs a scarf, puts it around their head. So I grab a scarf and put it around my head."

here is the website: http://itn.co.uk/news/7d2790d774ed916860e1fb5e06c51836.html his video inside this website o.k :yes:

Akon Stunned After Michael Jackson Takes Him To Cinema In Pyjamas
Along with his children...

* by Jason Gregory
* 07 August 2008

Akon Stunned After Michael Jackson Takes Him To Cinema In Pyjamas

US rapper Akon has admitted he was left stunned when Micahel Jackson took him to the cinema in pyjamas.

The rapper, who collaborated with Jackson on his new single 'Hold My Hand', also revealed that Jackson's children joined them on the outing.

"He actually took me to the movies with him, that was an experience,” Akon said.

“I was like, 'Are you going out like that?' He was in his pyjamas and I was waiting to see if he was going to change. He grabs a scarf and puts it around his head.

“Then, he grabs the kids and puts a scarf around their heads. So I grab a scarf and put it around my head, and off we go."

http://www.gigwise.com/news/45195/akon-stunned-after-michael-jackson-takes-him-to-cinema-in-pyjamas

R 'n B singer-rapper Akon tells us about the first time he met Michael Jackson and reveals all about their trip to the IMAX.

there are only 135 posts, how is there an update in post 160 ??

Update for August 9. 2008 on post #160

Wow, so there's confirmation on this, lol. And yeah Akon, that's how he's able to get around. See, there are people who understand Mike's position. The scarf may be goofy to some, but it works most of the time. Glad that Akon was able to have that experience :happy:

there are only 135 posts, how is there an update in post 160 ??

:doh: What!? I put 160? LOL sorry Chichi . If no one would have noticed it would still bere there. I already corrected the number.

Re: August 8-10, 2008 (Update for August 9. 2008 on post #130)

He said nobody bothered them because they thought they were moslems.

Last edited:
Last edited:

I was typing quick so I made an error.

here is some news

AKON STUNNED AFTER JACKSON TAKES HIM TO CINEMA IN PYJAMAS

US rapper Akon has admitted he was left stunned when Michael Jackson took him to the cinema in pyjamas.

The rapper, who collaborated with the King of Pop on his new single ‘Hold My Hand’, also revealed that Jackson’s children joined them on the outing.

“He actually took me to the movies with him, that was an experience. I was like, ‘Are you going out like that?’ He was in his pyjamas and I was waiting to see if he was going to change. He grabs a scarf and puts it around his head.

“Then, he grabs the kids and puts a scarf around their heads. So I grab a scarf and put it around my head, and off we go.”

Jackson and Akon’s collaboration, which will appear on the rapper’s new album, leaked onto the internet last month.

---------------------------------------
TRACKLIST OK KOP PHILIPPINE EDITION

IN CELEBRATION OF HIS MAJESTY’S 50TH BIRTHDAY
SONY BMG MUSIC RELEASES THE ESSENTIAL COMPILATION OF HIS GREATEST HITS AS UNIQUELY VOTED BY FILIPINO FANS!

Michael Jackson has been a dominant figure in music and to this day, his music remains to be relevant and vital as fans continue to show high interest in his current releases in particularly with his 2008 release - THRILLER25.

Named the "Most Successful Entertainer of All Time" by the Guinness World Records, Michael Jackson is among the most highly acclaimed and influential artists in pop culture. And what better way to celebrate Michael's amazing career than with a new “King Of Pop” greatest hits package that is uniquely voted for by his Pinoy fans.

“King Of Pop: The Philippine Edition” is the first fan-driven album of its kind and a guaranteed must-have for all Filipino fans and music lovers.

Tracklist

Disc 1
Blame It On The Boogie
Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
Rock With You
Off The Wall
She's Out Of My Life
The Girl Is Mine
Thriller (single w/ Vincent Price)
Beat It
Billie Jean
Human Nature
P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)
Bad (single)
The Way You Make Me Feel
Man In The Mirror
I Just Can't Stop Loving You
Smooth Criminal
In The Closet

Disc 2
Remember The Time
Heal The World
Black Or White
Gone Too Soon
Dangerous
Scream
They Don't Care About Us
Earth Song
You Are Not Alone
Childhood (Theme From Free Willy 2)
Blood On The Dance Floor
Invincible
We Are The World (demo!)
Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' 2008 (Feat Akon)
Say Say Say (with Paul McCartney)
Got The Hots (demo recorded)
Thriller Megamix (radio edit)

--------------------------------------------
REDONE: MJ IS “THE BEST THAT MUSIC HAS EVER KNOWN”

There are a lot of speculations in the media when Michael Jackson will be coming out with a new album.

Moroccan-Swedish musician RedOne (Nadir Khayat), who has been working on songs for the album, said in an interview:

"It's not like it's a secret, it's just that nobody knows.
When it comes to Michael, I'm not allowed to talk about the recording.

But I can say he's unbelievable, honestly the best that music has ever known, the ultimate star, artist, musician. Every other star I work with, I tell them I'm working with Michael Jackson, and they're like 'Oh, my God!' And when I tell him, he's so humble and polite, he's like, 'Oh, thank you.'"

Other stars RedOne is currently working with include Shakira, Brandy, Lionel Richie, Enrique Iglesias, NKOTB, and Toni Braxton and more.

----------------------------------------
MICKY YOOCHUN’S JACKSON/WONDER INFLUENCES

Micky Yoochun, 1/5 of one of the biggest groups in Asia (DBSK), mentioned his admiration for Michael Jackson as he was growing up in the United States.

Yoochun, a member of the Korean group DBSK (known as Tohoshinki in Japan), was interviewed along with his fellow members by Hanako West magazine with translation of the article coming from one of DBSK's many fansites. From the translated summary:

Yoochun said, "ever since I was little, I really admired Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder. No matter if I sold a lot of albums, or sold nothing, I truly wanted to become an entertainer. If it was for the sake of being an artist, I'd endure any hardship."

The 22 year old Yoochun lived in Virginia for a number of years and is also a songwriter; writing and co-writting tracks for some of DBSK's albums.

DBSK (short for Dong Bang Shin Ki) recently scored their 3rd number one song (Why Have I Fallen in Love with You?) on the coveted Oricon Weekly charts in Japan; an accomplishment nearly impossible for non-Japanese artists.

As for Yoochun, what can I say? The man's got good taste!

This is a slightly longer version of the Akon interview.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kNWO0JsXKFo

LOL!! Thanks, Dats for sharing this! Cute story. Loved it! :flowers:

Sounds like MJ's one of those people who gets up in the morning, takes a shower and instead of putting on other clothes he just puts on more jammies. I surely ain't mad at him. :innocent:

^^ Shoot, it's not like you gota take a shower everyday heh he-- err... nevermind :trish:

This is a slightly longer version of the Akon interview.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kNWO0JsXKFo

I never really noticed before but... he got some muscle on him... this may just change my whole outlook on dude. I wanna feel them, badly :blink:

http://www.svherald.com/articles/2008/08/09/news/vertical_top_story/doc489d4c2c088e8000402713.txt

Thriller’ for heroes: Army Soldier Show aims to entertain troops and their families

By Laura Ory
Herald/Review
Published on Saturday, August 09, 2008
SIERRA VISTA — These Army men and women know how to sing, dance and play “Guitar Hero.”

Along with gospel, pop, R & B and rock performances, the 25th Anniversary Army Show will be bringing some of the guitar-based video game talent to the stage.

Sgt. 1st Class Joseph Madison, the operations non-commissioned officer in charge, watched over the sound board before the show as clips of guitar riffs blasted through the Buena Performing Arts Center before the Friday night show. Acting as an executive producer for the show, he’s there to help make it “look good and sound good.”

And he has the help of 21 other servicemen and women, including the 15 performers.

It’s a demanding schedule and show they produce, Madison said. After auditioning, the performers are put to a physical test to make sure they are up to the task. Some of the performers are recording artists, gospel singers, rappers and dancers, but they are all soldiers.

Since April, they’ve performed in Europe and the United States for the seven-month tour. Fort Huachuca is the group’s only stop in Arizona.

For the 25th anniversary of the show, the group will be performing to one of the same songs they performed to in 1983 — Michael Jackson’s monster pop song “Thriller.”

“They like doing it. There’s costumes and masks,” he said.

It was fun in 1983, and it still is today.

The theme for the show is “For the Soldier, by the Soldier.” It’s also the reason they are there to do the show, said Sgt. Stacey Chapman, who is with the Massachusetts National Guard.

And it’s for the families of soldiers who are deployed so they can have a time to enjoy themselves, Chapman said. Last year Chapman got her first stage-performing experience as a cast member. This year she works behind the scenes, troubleshooting the show’s technical aspects.

“It’s a lot of work and it’s tiring, but it feels good to do,” she said.

And the show’s group numbers won’t disappoint attendees.

“It really lights up the stage, ” Chapman said.

The 90-minute musical review show appeals to the young and old, active duty and civilians, Madison said.

“Have some fun. We’re here for you,” he said.

MICKY YOOCHUN’S JACKSON/WONDER INFLUENCES

Micky Yoochun, 1/5 of one of the biggest groups in Asia (DBSK), mentioned his admiration for Michael Jackson as he was growing up in the United States.

Yoochun, a member of the Korean group DBSK (known as Tohoshinki in Japan), was interviewed along with his fellow members by Hanako West magazine with translation of the article coming from one of DBSK's many fansites. From the translated summary:

Yoochun said, "ever since I was little, I really admired Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder. No matter if I sold a lot of albums, or sold nothing, I truly wanted to become an entertainer. If it was for the sake of being an artist, I'd endure any hardship."

The 22 year old Yoochun lived in Virginia for a number of years and is also a songwriter; writing and co-writting tracks for some of DBSK's albums.

DBSK (short for Dong Bang Shin Ki) recently scored their 3rd number one song (Why Have I Fallen in Love with You?) on the coveted Oricon Weekly charts in Japan; an accomplishment nearly impossible for non-Japanese artists.

As for Yoochun, what can I say? The man's got good taste!

Wow, DBSK is the hottest boyband in Asia right now (and the most overrated band ever in the history of Asian music IMO :lol: :lol:). It's nice to hear :punk: I'd have to see who's he though :lol: They all look alike to me :ph34r:

Motown High School Band: OFF TO CHINA

After year of fund-raising, King High band Beijing-bound today

If the 80 Detroit teens leaving today to perform during the Olympics in China are feeling the pressure to positively represent the United States and their embattled city, they're not letting on.

We'll do fine," Rio Cain, 17, a senior and trombone player in the King High School band, said after one of the grueling 5-hour practices in the weeks leading up to the trip. "We're doing Michael Jackson. They love Michael Jackson."

The confidence belies the hard work that went into more than a year's worth of preparations -- starting with the raising of more than $470,000 to get the students and 20 chaperones to China for performances in Beijing, at the Great Wall and at a high school in the city of Shijiazhuang.

Full article with another video >>>

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080810/NEWS01/808100377/1003/NEWS01

Last edited:

i found some sunday news :yes:

Gary native Chester Gregory shines on stage and CD

Broadway star Chester Gregory is extremely busy these days. But he doesn't mind. Call it an entertainment high point in his life, if you will.

The actor/singer/songwriter recently released his debut album "In Search of High Love," and he's deep in rehearsals for the upcoming Broadway show "Shrek the Musical!"

"The album has been in the works for three years," said Gregory, speaking by phone last week from Seattle, where he was rehearsing his role as Donkey in "Shrek."

The production will have its preBroadway run Aug. 14 to Sept. 21 in Seattle before its December opening at the Broadway Theatre in New York City.

Gregory, a Gary native, said he's finally satisfied with his debut release after changing the course of the CD several times.

"The album is just an expression of myself through music about the journey I went through with the ups and downs of love," Gregory said. The thematic album, he said, definitely tells a story.

"People are used to seeing me portray a role as someone else. But this album is personal, and it's a sharing of my thoughts, feelings and ideas," he said.

Included on the album are tunes he's penned as well as standards such as "I Only Have Eyes for You," and Jackie Wilson's "Higher and Higher." Gregory, a singer with a vocal range of five octaves, gives his own interpretation to the standards, making them shine.

Gregory said record company executives originally wanted him to "take the Usher route" with the album, but he refrained from imitating the popular R&B singer.

He's also looking forward to stamping his own personality onto the character of Donkey in "Shrek" and not merely making himself an exact copy of Eddie Murphy's Donkey from the hit 2001 animated film.

"Dreamworks Theatricals decided they didn't want someone to imitate Eddie Murphy. They wanted an actor to bring the essence of the character to the stage and then give something else to it. Eddie Murphy has his own unique way of speaking and it's unmistakable. I use a natural speaking voice for Donkey," Gregory said. He added he's eager to "dive" into the role of the smart-aleck sidekick to ogre Shrek.

Gregory has garnered attention over the last several years while starring in a number of Broadway shows, including "Hairspray," "Cry Baby" and "Tarzan." He wowed theater fans as the star of "The Jackie Wilson Story," a musical written by Chicago's Black Ensemble Theatre's Jackie Taylor and Jimmy Tillman, which had its debut in 1999 in Chicago. It later toured successfully.

For Gregory, the entertainment field has long been a big draw. He said watching legendary entertainers such as Sammy Davis Jr., Gregory Hines and his all-time favorite Michael Jackson were major influences on his career decision.

"They inspired me to become a performer. And just seeing Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' video kind of did for me," he said.

Though Gregory has never seen Jackson perform live, he said it was an honor to be in his presence when Jackson returned home to Gary in 2003 to receive the key to the city and participate in other events. Gregory was one of the performers who sang during a special tribute to Jackson during his trip to Northwest Indiana.

"He gave me a standing ovation," Gregory said, adding he was happy to be a part of the event.

Gregory said his mother also has been a big inspiration in his pursuit of show business. She took him to see many of the big musical theater productions in Chicago as he was growing up.

"She's always been so supportive, and she's a lot of the reason I'm a performer. She knew how important it was to expose me to theater and music," Gregory said.

His mother, who recently retired from teaching at East Chicago Public Schools, had a great love of the arts.

"She coached me (in singing) or provided me with the coaching I needed," he said, adding his mother was honest with him and let him know when he needed to strengthen his skills.

"She didn't lie to me," he said.

In addition to performing in "Shrek," Gregory hopes to schedule some concerts of his own in the future.

To learn more about his new CD, visit www.chestergregory.com or myspace.com/chester gregory.

here is the website: http://nwitimes.com/articles/2008/0...nment/docaded2eedc74fe4468625749d001bfcd2.txt

After year of fund-raising, King High band Beijing-bound today

If the 80 Detroit teens leaving today to perform during the Olympics in China are feeling the pressure to positively represent the United States and their embattled city, they're not letting on.

We'll do fine," Rio Cain, 17, a senior and trombone player in the King High School band, said after one of the grueling 5-hour practices in the weeks leading up to the trip. "We're doing Michael Jackson. They love Michael Jackson."

The confidence belies the hard work that went into more than a year's worth of preparations -- starting with the raising of more than $470,000 to get the students and 20 chaperones to China for performances in Beijing, at the Great Wall and at a high school in the city of Shijiazhuang.

But now that area residents, businesses and community organizations have helped raise the money, and parents and volunteers have put on the finishing touches for today's departure, the realities -- and the new pressures -- facing the band are sinking in.

The Crusaders band is believed to be the only urban American student group performing during the Summer Olympics, which formally opened Friday in Beijing. They will represent Detroit at a time when Detroit Public Schools has been cast in the national spotlight for having the lowest graduation rate in the United States, and Michigan is leading the country in unemployment and home foreclosure rates.

And their trip comes as more music teachers are being laid off this year and fewer than half of the district's high schools have a band.

The students know what the trip means but try not to let on that pressure is mounting.

"We'll both have a chance to learn from each other," band assistant Darin Smith, 19, said, referring to the band and the Beijing audiences.

The usually soft-spoken band leader Victoria Miller singled out individual trumpets, percussions and tubas that were throwing off the harmony of "Abrams Pursuit" in one of the final practices.

"It has to be perfect!" she said, raising her eyebrows at a trumpeter who struggled through a squeaky solo. "We have to look good."

here is website: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080810/NEWS01/808100377/1003/NEWS01

I know, it is amazing the lengths the media will go to twist things around. I mean, Akon should nothing but respect and admiration for Michael in that video clip. You can tell he really likes Michael too. Dude sees this opportunity to work with the KOP as a huge plus.

The media are stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

:scratch:Where is everyone at? Did the board go off line? Well anyway here are some mentionings for today. Sorry so late having to get things ready for my vacation , 3 more days! :punk:

I don't know if this was mentioned anywhere else, but I think it's worth a mention. I was reading the August edition of Ebony and in the bookshelf section (pp54-55) a new book is mentioned that might be an interesting read: Mixing It Up: Taking on the Media Bullies and Other Reflections by Ishmael Reed. According to the paragraph, the author criticizes mainstream media for misrepresenting African-Americans. The book contains criticism of the media's coverage of Hurricane Katrina, and how it has treated such people as Michael Jackson and Barack Obama.

Last edited:

Michael Jackson Mentionings for August 10, 2008:

http://www.columbiatribune.com/2008/Aug/20080810Puls017.asp

Why send chain letters to break world records when you can dance? Thrill The World is an annual worldwide dance party in which people perform Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” dance simultaneously, and this might be the year “Thriller” surpasses the Hokey Pokey as the world’s largest simultaneous dance.

The project began in Toronto in 2006, when Guinness World Records Ltd. approved Ines Markeljevic’s record application for “Largest Thriller Dance.” Sixty-two people participated, setting the current record. Last year, 1,722 people in 52 cities danced at the same time, setting two world records with the World Records Academy and the Record Holders Republic.
The current Guinness World Record for “World’s Largest Simultaneous Dance” was set in 2002, when 197,569 elementary school students did the Hokey Pokey in 681 locations across Canada.
Markeljevic said she isn’t getting her hopes up but she’d like to beat that record. “ ‘Thriller’ is a little harder but way cooler,” she said in an e-mail.
Thriller” is easy to learn in small segments. Markeljevic has created videos of each segment in four speeds to help you get the moves down.
Thrill The World will take place at 1 p.m. Oct. 25. Register online at least a day before the event. For more information and to learn the dance, visit www.thrilltheworld.com. — Caroline Dohack

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/reviews/id.989/title.lloyd-lessons-in-love

I once compared Lloyd to Michael Jackson (when he was Lloyd’s age), noting their similarities in looks, voice tone and sweet likeability, and was told I was crazy. After hearing Lessons, the argument is given new life. Lloyd, as Michael did, possesses the power to make the ladies melt with his songs; his uniqueness among his peers will continue to set him apart from the crowd for years to come. Even though his short but sweet (47 minutes to be exact) LP borders on being too sexy for his young fan base, there is a saving grace that lies within. Lloyd sings of sexuality within the confines of true love, a concept his counterparts have all but forgotten. And that within itself, takes Lessons In Love to the top of its class.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080810/NEWS01/808100377/1003/NEWS01

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/pacificnw/2008094127_pacificpchina10.html
That year I met a remarkable family in Beijing. A teacher and engineer with a son in middle school, they had never really known a foreign person before. When a mutual friend introduced me, it was like getting their very own American. They took me everywhere, and we talked freely about all kinds of things. I rode across town nearly every weekend to visit them, eating incredible home-cooked meals, practicing Chinese and tutoring the boy, Jay, in English. He hoped to pass the entrance exam to get into a Chinese university, the ticket to a viable future in China. Michael Jordan and Michael Jackson were his heroes, and he constantly badgered me for lyrics to pop songs.

Michael Jackson HIStory for August 10, 2008:

http://www.411mania.com/music/news/82419/411-Music-Presents:-This-Day-In-Music-History.htm

411 Music Presents: This Day In Music History
Posted by Dan Haggerty on 08.10.2008

Michael Jackson gets business advice from Paul McCartney, then double crosses him with it...

On August 10, 1985 Michael Jackson buys ATV Music (every Beatle song) for $47.5 Million. He also gained rights to some Elvis songs in the deal. Amongst the people he outbid was Paul McCartney and Yoko Ono.

Ironically, the idea came to Jackson while working with McCartney on two hit singles: "The Girl Is Mine" and "Say Say Say" a few years prior. The pair became friendly, occasionally visiting one another. and talking business. Once, McCartney told Jackson about the millions of dollars he had made from music catalogs; he was earning approximately $40 million a year from other peoples songs. When the Beatles catalog was put up for sale, despite the high price and McCartney's interest, Jackson went for the catalog at all cost. McCartney sought help briefly from Yoko Ono, but the price tag became to high and she bailed on the deal. After 10 months, no one would beat Jackson's bid and the deal was done.

While Paul McCartney has vocally objected to Jackson double crossing him, it has also been pointed out that he had the resources to outbid Jackson if he really wanted to get full rights to the Beatles catalog.

Michael Jackson Mentionings for August 10, 2008:

http://www.columbiatribune.com/2008/Aug/20080810Puls017.asp

411 Music Presents: This Day In Music History
Posted by Dan Haggerty on 08.10.2008

Michael Jackson gets business advice from Paul McCartney, then double crosses him with it...

On August 10, 1985 Michael Jackson buys ATV Music (every Beatle song) for $47.5 Million. He also gained rights to some Elvis songs in the deal. Amongst the people he outbid was Paul McCartney and Yoko Ono.

Ironically, the idea came to Jackson while working with McCartney on two hit singles: "The Girl Is Mine" and "Say Say Say" a few years prior. The pair became friendly, occasionally visiting one another. and talking business. Once, McCartney told Jackson about the millions of dollars he had made from music catalogs; he was earning approximately $40 million a year from other peoples songs. When the Beatles catalog was put up for sale, despite the high price and McCartney's interest, Jackson went for the catalog at all cost. McCartney sought help briefly from Yoko Ono, but the price tag became to high and she bailed on the deal. After 10 months, no one would beat Jackson's bid and the deal was done.

While Paul McCartney has vocally objected to Jackson double crossing him, it has also been pointed out that he had the resources to outbid Jackson if he really wanted to get full rights to the Beatles catalog.

What a load of Misinformation.:no:

Back