August 7, 2008:$300,000 more sought in Michael Jackson videotaping case

Momma Shannon

Proud Member
Well, looks like we need a news thread today so let me go see what I can find :yes:

First glance didn't find much but this made me laugh :lol:

http://www.nme.com/news/michael-jackson/38731

Pyjama-wearing Michael Jackson takes Akon to the cinema
071026_133735_akonPAPHOTOS_L61007.jpg
Akon Pic: PA Photos

Rapper was left 'stunned' on bizarre outing

Michael Jackson recently visited a cinema wearing his pyjamas, according to US rapper Akon.

The hip-hop star, who collaborated with Jackson on his new single 'Hold My Hand', said he was left "stunned" by the King Of Pop's behaviour, reports the Daily Star.

"I was like, 'Are you going out like that?' He was in his pyjamas and I was waiting to see if he was going to change. He grabs a scarf and puts it around his head," he said.

He added: "Then, he grabs the kids and puts a scarf around their heads. So I grab a scarf and put it around my head, and off we go."

The pair's collaboration will appear on Akon's new album 'Acquitted'.

Today in
Michael Jackson History
1997 - The Jackson Five single (1969) "I Want You Back" was certified gold and platinum by the RIAA.

[SIZE=+2]Michael Jackson Quote​
[/SIZE]

I Like The Feelin' You're
Givin' Me
Just Hold Me Baby And I'm
In Ecstasy
- Michael Jackson, The Way You Make Me Feel

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: MJ News and Mentionings for August 7, 2008

LOL :lol:
Thanks for the 'news' Shannon :D

A little more...

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hqdnU2rNsNvymN23_9sXARuBytkAD92D789G6
That Was the Week That Was
By The Associated Press – 13 hours ago
Entertainment highlights during the week of Aug. 10-16:
1939: "The Wizard of Oz" premiered in Hollywood.
1942: Walt Disney's animated feature "Bambi" premiered at Radio City Music Hall in New York.
1948: Allen Funt's "Candid Camera" made its television debut on ABC with the title "Candid Microphone," which was also the name of a radio program produced by Funt.
1956: Actor Bela Lugosi died at the age of 73. He's best known for playing Dracula in the movies.
1974: "(You're) Having My Baby" by Paul Anka was awarded a gold record. Feminists objected to the word "my," saying it should have been "our."
1982: Actor Henry Fonda died at the age of 77.
1985: Michael Jackson outbid Paul McCartney for the ATV music publishing catalog, which included many Beatles songs. Jackson paid $47.5 million dollars.
1988: The controversial movie "The Last Temptation of Christ" opened in nine cities, despite objections by some Christians that the film was sacrilegious in its treatment of Jesus.
1997: "South Park" made its debut on Comedy Central.
1999: Singer Carnie Wilson had gastric bypass surgery and broadcast it on the Internet.
2001: Martie Seidel of the Dixie Chicks married college professor Gareth Maguire in Kailua, Hawaii.
2006: Talk-show host Mike Douglas died on his 81st birthday in West Palm Beach, Fla.

There's a few articles about the Jackson's being honored but they look like the same articles already posted here.

Hmm, not even any good mentionings so far today. I'll go searching some more :yes:

:hysterical: I love how Akon just went along with it.. "ah well.. Imma put on a scarf too" :lol:
Really cool he got to be hanging out with Mike @ the movies. :D

"I was like, 'Are you going out like that?' He was in his pyjamas and I was waiting to see if he was going to change. He grabs a scarf and puts it around his head," he said.

He added: "Then, he grabs the kids and puts a scarf around their heads. So I grab a scarf and put it around my head, and off we go."

:lol: cute....

http://www.contracostatimes.com/california/ci_10127707

$300,000 more sought in Michael Jackson videotaping case

Daily News Wire Services
Article Launched: 08/07/2008 10:31:20 AM PDT

var requestedWidth = 0;
if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; }
Having been awarded more than $20 million in a lawsuit against a defunct charter jet company that secretly videotaped pop singer Michael Jackson and his lawyer, the attorney and an associate are now seeking more than $300,000 in attorney fees.
Mark Geragos and fellow lawyer Pat Harris are seeking $312,670 from XtraJet former owner Jeffrey Borer and travel agent Cynthia Montgomery, according to court papers filed by their attorney, Brian Kabateck.
"The amount of fees is reasonable given the novelty and difficulty of the questions involved, the skill displayed in presenting the issues, the results obtained, and the experience, reputation and ability of the attorneys employed," Kabateck states in his filing.
He wants $690 per hour for the 240 hours he claims he spent on the case, or $165,600 for his work alone.
A hearing on the issue is scheduled for Sept. 11.
In May, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Soussan G. Brugera denied a motion by a lawyer for XtraJet and Borer for a new trial on grounds she made errors in reaching her March 3 decision in favor of Geragos and Harris.
Borer has appealed.
In her 21-page ruling in March, Brugera awarded both compensatory and punitive damages.
Along with Borer and XtraJet, Montgomery, who set up the flight, was found liable for some of the compensatory damages. Brugera called the secret videotaping "highly offensive to a reasonable person." Borer's lawyer,
Lloyd Kirschbaum, said the judge ignored crucial evidence in favor of his client and made the wrong conclusion that the tape included sound. Without any audio, Geragos and Harris could not claim a breach of the attorney-client privilege, Kirschbaum argued.

The taping occurred on Nov. 20, 2003, as an aircraft owned by XtraJet took Jackson, Geragos and Harris from Las Vegas to Santa Barbara so the singer could surrender in a child molestation case.
Geragos was representing Jackson at the time, but the entertainer later replaced him with Tom Mesereau, who helped get the entertainer acquitted of the criminal charges in 2005.
Geragos, Harris and Jackson filed an invasion of privacy suit against Borer and XtraJet in November 2003. Jackson, who turns 50 on Aug. 29, dropped out as a plaintiff in April 2005.
Borer and Arvel Jett Reeves, an aircraft mechanic who admitted installing the cameras at Borer's direction, pleaded guilty in March 2006 in U.S. District Court to a federal conspiracy charge. Reeves, the owner of Chino- based Executive Aviation, which serviced the XtraJet fleet, was sentenced that July to eight months in prison and six months in a halfway house.
Borer was sentenced in October 2006 to home detention and fined $10,000.

A nice article from the People Magazine archives about the Jacksons Victory Tour:

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20088286,00.html

The Jackson Fireworks

By William Plummer
The Heartland Turned Out All Dressed Up for a Church Social, and Michael Put On a Supernatural Display

From PEOPLE Magazine Click to enlarge

Four hours before show time on Friday, the six musicians in the Jacksons' tour band were pacing their rooms on the fifth floor of Kansas City's Alameda Plaza Hotel. Studio and live-show veterans all, they had rehearsed the 110-minute multimedia extravaganza for more than three months (most recently during a sound check that had lasted until 4 that morning), but all the preparation couldn't quiet their opening-night jitters. While they waited to board the unmarked vans that would transport them and the Jackson brothers to jam-packed Arrowhead Stadium, they smoked too much, consulted their watches and horsed around. "My stomach's got a butterfly in it the size of [sci-fi monster] Rodan," laughed keyboardist Pat Leonard, 28.

The Jacksons' sixth-floor enclave—where "Do Not Disturb" signs hung on the doorknobs—was absolutely still. Inside Michael's suite the Man himself was running through vocal exercises. In a room nearby, brothers Randy, Tito, Jermaine and Marlon—minus Jackie, sidelined by a knee operation—were rehearsing harmonies and bracing themselves for the start of the $50 million, 13-plus city tour that could mark the farewell of the family act that debuted in 1965. Little brother Randy was psyching himself up, trying to sear away the pain in his left leg caused by an auto accident in 1980. "You know how a boxer feels before a fight?" he asked. "That's how I feel. I want to knock them out."

"Pain pills," added Marlon. "We tell the audience to bring pain pills when they come to see us. We want to be so good, so strong, it makes 'em hurt."

Gluttons for the sort of punishment Marlon had in mind found it—and then some. The Jacksons packed Arrowhead Stadium for three nights running, and the chief complaints among the 135,000 who witnessed their spectacle was that the brothers hadn't given them enough licks. "I'd like to see twice as much," said 19-year-old Donna Slonaker, from Lydon, Kans., "but I'd pay $30 to see it again."

After months of controversy, suspense and confusion, the Jackson Victory tour—named in honor of the newly released album that has already sold nearly two and a half million copies—was finally on the road, bound next for Dallas, Jacksonville, New York and points beyond. All told the five Jacksons expected to play 47 dates in 16 weeks to the tune of $50-$60 million in ticket sales—and a possible $8 million profit.

When they weren't fielding criticism about the tour's exorbitant mail-order ticket policy (which has been changed) and promoter Chuck Sullivan's demands for reduced hotel rates and free newspaper ad space, the close-knit clan had spent its pre-V-Days polishing the act. There was none of the ambitious partying that once characterized rock tours: Meals prepared by the Jacksons' two cooks were taken in the privacy of the brothers' rooms. Idle moments were devoted to playing riffs and (in Michael's case) autographing photos. The Gloved One slipped out of the hotel (via an elevator leading to the garage) to see Ghostbusters and to announce publicly that he would donate his share of the concert proceeds to charity. On Friday afternoon he accompanied Tito to a local hotel to accept an NAACP award. After that outing, the Jacksons remained en famine until Friday evening, when dressers came to help them into the opening-number costumes. At 9 p.m. the five hopped into a van for the 30-minute ride to the stadium, where the frenzy was cresting.

The audience that awaited them was a Whitman's sampler of Middle America. They arrived in muddy pickups and customized vans and sporty coupes—not just squealing adolescents in T-shirts emblazoned with Michael's likeness, but old people as well, and mothers with toddlers, and a rainbow coalition that only these Jacksons could bring together: young people with their parents. Said Andrea Gilliand of Stanley, Kans., speaking from the promontory of 30, "You're never too old to see Michael Jackson. It's the best concert I've ever been to, and I've seen the Stones and the Beatles. But why didn't he play Thriller?"

Well probably because he wanted to make his fans privy to the movie that screens daily behind his eyes. The script, for which the androgynous idol did the storyboards, is Arthurian legend as if spruced up by Star Wars creator George Lucas, with an assist from Muppeteer Jim Henson. At the show's opening, towering animated monsters thunder onstage, to be challenged by Randy (Michael's creative heir apparent), done up in glittering armor. Randy pulls a laser-lit sword out of a prop rock, slays one of the creatures and commands, "Behold the Kingdom." Belching smoke shot with green and blue and purple, the set elevates and out come the brothers, who make a dramatic descent down a set of newly revealed stairs into a deafening wave of screams.

Although Jermaine sings lead on three of his own songs and the other Jacksons have their moments, Michael seizes center stage and holds it. Resplendent in a silver sequined jacket with a red-and-white sash (one of his four costumes), he leaps into the air, freezes, whips about, drops to one knee and curls into a fetal position. He's arrogant on Beat It, tender on She's Out of My Life, triumphant on Billie Jean. His Heartbreak Hotel is so full of pops, stops, bangs and breaks that by the time he's done the crowd is inspecting its arms for imaginary bruises.

The Jackson tour is a spectacular production, and it comes with a spectacular price tag: in the neighborhood, says promoter Sullivan, of $15 million. The 375-ton stage, itself a costly proposition, is five stories high, 160 feet wide and 90 feet deep. It has seven computers and five elevators that require 22 men to operate. What with the 120 speakers, 2,200 lights, and the trestles and cables, the Jacksons' baggage adds up to some 65,000 pounds. The crew numbers 1,500, including those recruited locally to stage the finale—a sky-splitting fireworks show.

At Arrowhead more than 170 officers from area police departments kept the peace. They were abetted by 375 security guards hired by the stadium management, nine paramedics, two doctors and six nurses. A helicopter and four ambulances idled at the ready, and the crowd was frisked at the entrances by nearly 70 hand-held metal detectors. In fact security was so tight that Sullivan himself was denied backstage access on opening night when he forgot his pass.

Happily, the Jackson tour brain trust—which had prepared for a disaster on the order of the Stones' 1969 concert at Altamont—was confronted instead with the docility of a church social, a decorous reflection of Michael Jackson himself. Only nine arrests were made at Arrowhead, says a stadium spokesman, most for disorderly conduct. The only real high jinks came from Don King, the fright-wigged boxing czar and erstwhile tour promoter. Supplanted by Sullivan in June he nevertheless continued to hold forth as if he were running the show. "We're traveling virgin territory," he announced as he held court in the Alameda Plaza lobby. "There are no boundaries. If Michael had time to work as hard as Wayne Newton, 150 dates a year, he could make $200 million. But who wants to work that hard?"

The Jacksons worked hard enough as it was. But the threat of exhaustion seemed irrelevant to Randy, who elatedly hopped about on hotel chairs Saturday as he relived the electrifying opener. "It was great to be back up there," he said. "My leg was killing me, but I know it was the best opening show we've ever done. Afterward I couldn't sleep. My mother called just to say 'I love you and thought you were good.' My mother's all about love."

Meanwhile, down in Jacksonville, Mayor Jake Godbold was also falling in love. "It's time we reached for the stars," he said. Godbold had calculated that the Jacksons' three-day stint in his fair city would cost the local government $445,000 in salaries and promotions—a piddling sum compared to what visitors would spend for lodgings, meals, gas and Michael Jackson geegaws. "Seventy million dollars," he told the City Council, lingering over the last word. "Seventy million dollars."

Thanks Shannon for doing the news thread for today. :) I would find some more things to report but I have to go back to work. :(

Quote Akon:

I can imagine: This is Mike > :shuriken: with his three kids :shuriken::shuriken::shuriken: and finally Akon> :shuriken: to go off. :crackingup:

Quote Akon:

I can imagine: This is Mike > :shuriken: with his three kids :shuriken::shuriken::shuriken: and finally Akon> :shuriken: to go off. :crackingup:
LOL!! :hysterical:
Those smilies kinna look like they are on a mission. :mello::lol:

Last edited:
It is funny that back in the day, many people thought $30 for a concert ticket too much. NOW look, $30 is a steal for concert nowadays.

Quote Akon:

OMFG that was so :lmao: 'n cute :wub:

Thank you for the news :flowers:

lol..no wonder Akon and MJ are buddies..lol...

Akon almost reminds me of Chris Tucker, the way he acted, there..lol

lol, you guys are crazy!
and thanks for all the news!~!

Remember where this information is coming from.

Think about it....why would all the other news outlets quote Akon as talking only about his music endeavors with MJ and this mag come up with something totally different...a story about pajamas? Think about it.

My guess is that these people made this all up. It is totally fabricated.

lmao!! I can just imagine how that would look. Michael convinces all the celebrities to go along with his eccentric behaviours its funny. If only Akon's fans could see their idol side by side with Michael Jackson, both watching a movie with scarves over their heads. Hahaha that one was great

Think about it....why would all the other news outlets quote Akon as talking only about his music endeavors with MJ and this mag come up with something totally different...a story about pajamas? Think about it.

I agree. It sounds a bit too over the top for Akon to be talking to a tabloid in the first place knowing they just want to talk trash. After the wheelchair thing last month, they decide to try something else and drag Akon into it just to make it sound more legit since it's become obvious that he's friends with Michael. Pathetic.

Last edited:
I question the validity of the article about Akon & MJ not only because it comes directly from a tabloid, but also because Michael hasn't required his children to wear masks or scarves for a long time. So either Akon was talking about an incident that occurred long ago, or the tabloid took random quotes from here and there and made a story about it.

that may be possible..after all, some mags tend to wait till they see mj do something that is original, as far as the spotlight goes, and then they make up another incident where the act is 'repeated'.

LOL I think it's true.. it's just Akon talking about his one of his times with MJ hanging out (which possibly may have been somewhat long ago,like TSCM says) .. lol :lol: Like Ne-Yo talkin about hanging up on the phone on MJ.. talkin about experiences.. :)

If its not true then..? lol Oh well.. :) True or not, the article was kinna funny. :lol: all of them in scarves. :lmao:

Last edited:
I question the validity of the article about Akon & MJ not only because it comes directly from a tabloid, but also because Michael hasn't required his children to wear masks or scarves for a long time. So either Akon was talking about an incident that occurred long ago, or the tabloid took random quotes from here and there and made a story about it.

I agree here too.

Back