August 1-3, 2008;Michael Jackson at the 40-40 Club (Palazzo) on Saturday night

mariemarie

Guests
New month. New possibilities. We're counting down to Michael Jackson's 50th birthday. I'm sure the news and mentionings threads will be packed with that topic in the upcoming weeks. Stay tuned =)

News

There are many articles supprting the Akon interview today. Check this thread for info http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53995

Mentionings

iJobs program teaches kids about careers

Cat paws and tiger tails abounded Thursday at Northwest Arkansas Community College when a very special visitor by the name of B. B. King surprised students enrolled in the college's annual program titled Kids' College.
King, a 9-week-old Bengal tiger from the Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge in Eureka Springs, entered a classroom in Burns Hall to oohs, aahs and rapid -ire shutter clicks from cell-phone cameras galore. King was the star of the show for children of all ages (even the grownup kind ) who were on hand to learn about choosing a career.

The baby tiger's appearance was a surprise for a group of fifth- to ninth-graders who are enrolled for NWACC's Kids' College program, aptly titled iJobs. The annual program is designed to help teach children about a group of careers. The four career groups focused on at this year's program were veterinary medicine, law enforcement, music and nursing.

Children who chose to participate in the music program were able to meet with music producers for Judas Priest and Michael Jackson while they learned what they kind of education they would need for a profession in music. They will present their final project, an original music composition, today.

Full story http://nwanews.com/bcdr/News/64318/

Making movies is her goal beyond 50

IT SEEMS to be happening to everyone at the moment: Prince, Michael Jackson, Sharon Stone and Paddington Bear are all turning 50 this year, with Madonna also blowing out her birthday cake candles next month.

Indeed, the Material Girl appears to be making the most of breaching that not so fashionable threshold of 50 by kicking off a world tour.
But then, the birthday celebrations already appear to have been under way for the Michigan-born Queen of Pop, who started out life as Louise Veronica Ciccone with early ambitions to be a dancer and to find the fastest exit out of smalltown America.

Full story on the soon to be 50 year old http://www.dispatch.co.za/article.aspx?id=231056

Guest appearances by big-name stars can revive series and careers

When the Emmy nominations were announced recently, the names of Steve Buscemi, Polly Bergen, Robin Williams and Cynthia Nixon were not called out.

Yet they all received Emmy nominations for spectacular performances. And we probably won't hear any of their names announced during the telecast awards show on Sept. 21.

Why the lack of hype for these major stars? Because their categories of competition are ”guest actor“ and ”guest actress.“ For nearly two decades, the Television Academy of Arts and Sciences has been bestowing Emmys to guest stars. The nominees tend to be big-name stars, and their brief appearances on ongoing series generate heightened interest.

Some of this is stunt casting, done less for dramatic or even comedic effect than for hype. Brad Pitt set off screams in the studio audience when he guest-starred with Jennifer Aniston on Friends. Elizabeth Taylor provided baby Maggie with her first and only word (”daddy“) on The Simpsons, which also has featured guest voices by Michael Jackson and at least a hundred others.

Full article http://www.kentucky.com/702/story/476682.html

Tectonic movements

We're not quite ready to predict a Seismic Series matching the Dodgers against the Los Angeles Angels of Disneyland in the World Series.
But all of the moving and shaking as Thursday's trading deadline approached sure has put LA at the epicenter of baseball.
As you know by now, the Dodgers snuck in while the Florida Marlins were counting pennies to steal Manny Ramirez from the Red Sox in a last-second, three-team deal that included Pittsburgh.

A while back, a photo surfaced on the Internet showing Steve Nash in nerdish attire, riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle with Baron Davis up front.
We figured it had to be Nash's latest production, like one of his Nike commercials.
Close. It was from a spoof of a "trailer" for Step Brothers, the new Will Ferrell movie, posted at www.ibeatyou.com as part of a spoof movie trailer competition.
You'll want to check it out just to see Nash doing a little Michael Jackson "robot" dance. Classic.
It proves again that Nash is just as creative off the court as he is on it.

Full story http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/2008/07/31/20080731p2main.html

Uganda: Here Comes the Preacher's Son

Wyclef Jean will be performing at Lugogo Cricket Oval this weekend. Rafsanjan Abbey Tatya takes you through his dramatic life since he first came on the world scene with the Fugees.

In 2002, Jean then continued his eclectic stylings on Masquerade, which featured re-workings of Bob Dylan's Knockin On Heaven's Door and Frankie Valli's What A Night, as well as Daddy, a tribute to Jean's father, who died in 2001.
For the next few years, Wyclef worked as a producer, songwriter, and re-mixer for a wide range of artistes. His collaborators included Destiny's Child, Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Mya, Santana, Kimberly Scott, Sinad O'Connor, Mick Jagger, and Canibus.

Full story http://allafrica.com/stories/200808010051.html

Peanut Butter Wolf’s 8 crazy nights

Back in the early ’80s, the Buggles proclaimed, “Video Killed the Radio Star.” In 2008, DJ Peanut Butter Wolf flips the script and kills crowds by spinning—wait for it—videos.

PBW, whose day job is overseeing the expansive hip-hop label Stones Throw, utilizes video-DJ technology and digs as deep into the endless archive of filmed musical performances as he would inside dusty crates of records. The end result is a mind-blowing spectacle.

Opening for electro revivalists Chromeo at a recent El Rey show, Wolf (aka Chris Manak) dazzled the crowd by mixing an incredibly wide range of music clips from the likes of Kriss Kross, Prince and A Tribe Called Quest into a visual pastiche that looked even cooler than it sounds. Incorporating unexpected sources such as Michael Jackson’s legendary debut of the moonwalk at the Motown 25th anniversary show and bits from shows like “Sesame Street,” the results feel like the logical evolution of DJ culture. PBW isn't content to simply press play on this multimedia assault—he “scratches” the visuals as readily as he would a record. He won over the Chromeo crowd with a routine in which he manipulated a clip of Dennis Edwards (of the Temptations) into a hilarious dance by scratching the video for “Don’t Look Any Further.”

http://losangeles.metromix.com/music/article/peanut-butter-wolf-s/522420/content

Little has watched her dream unfold

Singer/songwriter Sharon Little always knew music was going to be her career choice.
"I just knew that's what I wanted to do," Little said during a phone call from her home in Ardmore, Penn. "I dropped out of high school and waited tables to pursue that dream. In fact, I would sing for my customers."

Little grew up listening to a lot of urban music but said her first and favorite album was Michael Jackson's "Thriller." "That is still a great album," she said with a laugh. "And in my teens I got into the grunge bands like Nirvana. But I also got into a lot of jazz — Billie Holiday, Etta James, Nina Simone and Eva Cassidy. Oh, I and I really like Karin Bergquist, who sings for Over the Rhine."

Entire article http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700247155,00.html

Bleu works it out at fair

The Weber County Fair's featured performer, Corbin Bleu, has caused quite a stir as part of the cast of the Emmy-winning "High School Musical" and its sequel.
In recent years, headline fair entertainment has ranged wide, including a concert by country legend Willie Nelson and a controversial cage-fighting competition.

As a singer and dancer, Bleu brings to mind a youthful, charismatic Michael Jackson, with his masterful dance moves and pleasant, funk-flavored tenor vocals.

Entire article http://www.standard.net/live/features/139459/

Today is Friday, August 1, 2008​

[SIZE=+2]Today in[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=+2]Michael Jackson History[/SIZE]​

1981 - The album "Best of Michael Jackson" hit #11 in the U.K.

1981 - The Michael Jackson album "One Day In Your Life" hit #29 in the U.K.

1992 - Michael Jackson's single "Who Is It" hit #10 in the U.K.

1994 - Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley announced that they had been married May 26th in the Dominican Republic.

%5B06%5D+Michael+Jackson+-+One+Day+In+Your+Life.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 01 - 03 of August News & Mentionings

As a singer and dancer, Bleu brings to mind a youthful, charismatic Michael Jackson, with his masterful dance moves and pleasant, funk-flavored tenor vocals.

You know, I REALLY wish they would stop comparing these people to Michael. Bleu can't sing. His voice is lame. It just shows a total lack of understanding and respect for Michael's talent when these people make this absurd and stupid comparisons.

Corbin Blue from High school Muscical... :mello: ... I understand, his singing is :giggle: horrible.

Thanks for the news!

Last edited:

You know, I REALLY wish they would stop comparing these people to Michael. Bleu can't sing. His voice is lame. It just shows a total lack of understanding and respect for Michael's talent when these people make this absurd and stupid comparisons.

I haven't really heard him sing at all. But I can agree that sometimes too many people are compared to Michael's voice.

thanks for news and mentionings :)

i agree Bleu isnt a great singer lol, he really shouldnt be compared to Michael

Bleu can't sing. His voice is lame

Yes, the boy cannot sing like Michael but what was stated is not as bad as people calling MJ names and insulting him. I think that fans need to focus on things that aren't an issue like the kid from HSM. There is one thing to have an opinion, but to trash someone is not an opinion but an insult. You can make a point without lowering yourself to belittle others. That is what adults do. Well, real adults anyway. And it is in no way insulting MJ or his legacy in anyway. It is just stating what the journalist who wrote the piece thought. Go after the journalist, not the subject in questions.

Thanks for the news, Marie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry but the media is always going to do that to Michael. This has been going on since Michael hit the scene from Donny Osmond to Chris Brown.

cool news guys

Last edited:

img_MichaelJackson_150.jpg

Michael Jackson Tickets :wild: :pray:

Michael Jackson tickets will be available soon as the King of Pop heads to London to perform live at the iconic O2 Arena. Although details are yet to be released, it’s rumoured that an announcement will be made any moment now, confirming that Jackson will be taking to the O2 stage sometime in early 2009. And when he does, you’ll be able to pick up your Michael Jackson tickets right here.

This will be a very rare opportunity to see probably the most famous name in pop music, right here in London, and all you need to do so is to pick up some Michael Jackson tickets. But obviously, Michael Jackson tickets are likely to be in seriously steep demand so keep your eyes peeled and as soon as they’re released be quick, they’re bound to sell out in super quick time.

The concerts at the O2 Arena will coincide with Jackson’s forthcoming 50th birthday in August, and the recent release of Thriller 25, a special 25th anniversary edition of the legendary album Thriller. Consequently you can expect to see a celebratory show, full of the legendary showmanship that made Jackson such a huge star throughout the world.

Although Jackson’s public appearances are rare these days, the concerts at the O2 Arena offer the perfect opportunity to see one of the finest live acts the world has ever seen, up on stage, performing live. Michael Jackson concerts are legendary for their extravagance and scale, and when that’s coupled with one of the very best singers and dancers in the business, Michael Jackson tickets look like some of the best of 2009.

The Michael Jackson concerts will be taking place at what’s now one of London’s premier music venues, the O2 Arena. The O2 has firmly established itself as one of the most widely respected venues in the world, with artists such as Robert Plant hailing its harmonics and suitability for a concert venue. The Michael Jackson gig looks set to put that to the ultimate test, bringing one of the finest talents the world has seen to the stage.

Michael Jackson is set to play at the O2 Arena in early 2009. Details of the Michael Jackson gig are yet to be released so please check back soon for more information. Michael Jackson tickets will be available nearer the date, and when details are confirmed.

Source: http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/whatson/michael-jackson-tickets-article-7095.html

Last edited:

Michael Jackson tickets.
omg.png

thanks for everything again.... :)

^^ This is not a news article. It is just coming from a website that sales tickets to entertainment functions. We don't really know if Michael has agreed to play the 02 as of yet since the last time I know it stated that Michael was still in talks, but who knows.

I know Dorthy...... but the search in itslef is good enough for me to say Thanks about.. :) I know it's time consuming etc..

I do enough research myself to know how much of a pain in the @$$ it can be to find something other MJ fans have not heard yet... lol!

Sorry but the media is always going to do that to Michael. This has been going on since Michael hit the scene from Donny Osmond to Chris Brown.

Yeah, I know. But it doesn't make it any less annoying or ignorant.

From a recent interview between Robin Thicke and DJ Booth:
DJ Booth: Well, lucky for you, the planets align quite often. The writing and production credits are solely yours on this new album, so what went into your decision to not collaborate with other artists and producers?
Robin Thicke: My co-producer is a guy named Pro Jay, who’s incredibly talented; he plays every instrument, and we’ve been working together for eleven years. And besides that, after being on the road for two years with my amazing band, we went right into the studio to recapture that magic, which is why almost all of the album is live music. Then, we called up the old horn players and string arrangers from the Thriller and Off the Wall records, and had the old Michael Jackson cats on there, puttin’ horns on. So we really just tried to include as many people as possible, without doin’ it the way everybody else does it, you know?

From a recent interview between Robin Thicke and DJ Booth:
DJ Booth: Well, lucky for you, the planets align quite often. The writing and production credits are solely yours on this new album, so what went into your decision to not collaborate with other artists and producers?
Robin Thicke: My co-producer is a guy named Pro Jay, who’s incredibly talented; he plays every instrument, and we’ve been working together for eleven years. And besides that, after being on the road for two years with my amazing band, we went right into the studio to recapture that magic, which is why almost all of the album is live music. Then, we called up the old horn players and string arrangers from the Thriller and Off the Wall records, and had the old Michael Jackson cats on there, puttin’ horns on. So we really just tried to include as many people as possible, without doin’ it the way everybody else does it, you know?
thanks for this, i always thought that was Robin Thicke behind his credited productions. this Pro Jay cat has done a great job, the sounds are always fresh.

Michael Jackson Mentionings for August 2, 2008:

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24116737-7642,00.html

Listening to records by Bob Marley, Marvin Gaye and fellow Nigerian Fela Kuti was a respite, and so was singing. Sometimes she would dress up in her mother's wig and sing Michael Jackson songs, a tube of cream substituting for a microphone.

http://www.buffalonews.com/entertainment/story/405240.html

On the next song, “I Need More Love,” the group unleashed a chorus that was straight out of the Sly playbook, singing the line, “We’re gonna have a good time” in unison over a monstrous slap bass line. When they followed that by effortlessly slipping into the hook from Michael Jackson’s “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’,” it was blissful.

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald....html?id=dbbb3520-e155-480b-b978-2f7ca4cdf878

You ain't fat! You ain't nothin'!"
The crowd of young men shouts along to the words as the infamous music video parody of Michael Jackson's Bad plays on a big screen. "Weird Al" Yankovic, comedy's best-selling act, hits the stage, badly aping the king of pop's moves as his fat suit comically balloons. And Fat, a parody single now 20 years old, still gets laughs.

http://www.canada.com/burnabynow/news/story.html?id=7a830569-9a48-47e1-9992-8cd5b13d1b75

But it wasn't blues that first sparked Lang's musical imagination.
"Actually, when I was little, I wanted to be like Michael Jackson," says Lang, who now counts B.B. King, Stevie Wonder and James Taylor among his influences.

http://www.knaresboroughpost.co.uk/knaresborough/Endofterm-thriller-at-St-Johns.4345456.jp

THERE were monsters galore at Knaresborough St John's CE Primary School, at the end of term when Year 6 performed the Rocky Monster Show.
The show, a parody of lots of different horror stories, included Frankenstein, Dracula and The Munsters.

The children had great fun performing it, watched by their parents and friends, and rounded off the show with Michael Jackson’s Thriller dance. (GS1507083

http://www.pr.com/press-release/98306

Travis has been dancing since he was nine years old. He has been making a mark on the entertainment industry for years now with his remarkable routines, visionary styling and impeccable sense of movement. He is the youngest inductee into the Gallery of Greats, and the recipient of numerous nominations and awards. Travis is a four-time recipient of the MTV Award for Best Choreography, , first in 1992 for Enough’s My Lovin, in 1993 for EnVogue’s Free Your Mind, and a recipient yet again in 1994 for EnVogue and Salt n Pepa’s duet, Whatta Man and yet again in 1995 for Michael Jackson and Janet Jackson’s ground breaking Scream video. He has achieved three American Choreography Awards including one for best choreography in the Music Video category for his work on Michael and Janet Jackson’s 1995 video for Scream as well as for Michael Jackson’s Ghosts. Also in 1995 Travis was nominated for an Emmy Award for his outstanding work with Michael Jackson for the MTV Music Awards.

http://www.post-trib.com/entertainment/kostanczuk/1084307,skinny.article

It's up to Joe & Co.
Yep, there should be a Gary museum recognizing Michael Jackson and his family -- it's long overdue. Joe Jackson, Michael's dad, endorsed the idea last week, but past proposals for Jackson-family museums/centers in the area have come and gone.
Remember when the "King of Pop" signed on to the concept of a Michael J. Jackson Performing Arts Center during his June 2003 visit to Gary?
The city's still waiting for that one. Seems to me that if the mighty Jackson family -- or even just Michael -- truly wanted something along the lines of a Jackson Museum and Cultural Center, it would have become reality a long time ago for their ol' hometown.

Re: August 1-3, 2008 (Updated for August 2, 2008 on post # 22)

Nice guy? The scoop on Jackson patriarch

BY MOLLY WOULFE
Chicago Scene | Friday, August 01, 2008 | 1 comment(s)

Veteran restaurateur Stanley Wozniak -- long used to hosting VIPs from Rat Packers to Harrison Ford to Jon Bon Jovi -- hit it off last week with an unlikely patron at The Joynt nightclub.

The former owner of Jilly's expected Jackson 5 sire Joseph Jackson to "be demanding" during his 80th birthday party at the new River North hot spot. Au contraire.

"I was thrown for a loop," said Wozniak, Frank Sinatra's one-time road manager. "He's the complete opposite of what I've read about him. I expected him to be a pompous ass. He couldn't have been nicer to my staff and everybody." The birthday boy lingered after the bash ended at 11 p.m., moving from a private room to chat with regulars until 1 a.m. at the main bar.

Michael Jackson's pop -- surrounded by relatives, recording execs and hip-hop artists -- held court at the club July 24 under the glare of TV cameras.A crew taped the private bash for the reality show "Meet Joe Jackson," which follows the ex-Gary resident's efforts to reunite (and re-manage) his sons' band.

The series also will chart Jackson's efforts to launch new talents with partner Rick Neville with Chicago-based Chi-Coast Entertainment.

Due to producers' mandates, TV viewers will have to wait until the show airs this fall to learn which Jackson kids joined Dad to sip champagne and nibble Mediterranean tapas at the red-carpet event. According to Wozniak, they also will learn the ex-steelworker -- who, according to some reports, is a mere 79 -- is far from the overbearing taskmaster portrayed by the media.

Jackson won him over by confiding he's never "taken a dime" of his children's earnings, much less pilfered their accounts, Wozniak said. He also displayed his cell phone, with his nine children on speed dial. Michael, Janet, La Toya and so forth each have an assigned ring tone. "He talks to all of his kids on a regular basis, and they have their holidays together at the Encino compound," the club owner said.

The well-connected Wozniak, who grew up in the Pilsen neighborhood, is first to admit he has a soft spot for guests with blue-collar roots. Among his favorites: Harrison Ford. "He's a carpenter from Chicago, and he remembers he's a carpenter from Chicago," he praised.

http://www.thetimesonline.com/artic...oulfe/doc116e1dd6a5692247862574960077b445.txt

thanks Dorthy...

Man I hope something is announced soon.. I FEEL IT IN THE AIR!!!!

July 29, 2008

The Streetperformers started a little rumor that Michael Jackson was having dinner on the rooftop of Stingaree in Downtown San Diego/CA.

They had no idea they would double the size of their group with this little fib. Their 85 peeps turned into 150-200 screaming, chanting, and singing - Michael Jackson fans.

They tell their story in a US TV morning show, here`s the video:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=27gIpri7wOs

Last edited:

Thank you Pasta. so them pretty gals he was posing with were his relatives afterall. So much for lstening to the media and judging before knowing the facts.

I posted this on my site yesterday, don't know if it was posted here yet... But check out the new music video / song "Dance Like Michael Jackson"

http://www.vimeo.com/1446324

They also sell the t-shirts featured in the video.

20080801DanceLikeMJ.jpg

I posted this on my site yesterday, don't know if it was posted here yet... But check out the new music video / song "Dance Like Michael Jackson"

http://www.vimeo.com/1446324

They also sell the t-shirts featured in the video.

20080801DanceLikeMJ.jpg
Oh. My. Gosh.

I WANT THAT SHIRT. :bugeyed

Thank you so much for posting. :D

ahh they're jacking (very poorly) Calvin Harris and The Mitchell Brothers' Michael Jackson

"i wish i could move like Michael Jacksonnnnnnnnn"
f_laugh.gif

that was a banger, much more original.

thanks for posting.

Back