American Idol Top 13: Michael Jackson Week!

TSCM

Proud Member
http://mjjr.net/news-i391-6.html

Today, Ryan Seacrest confirmed on his radio show that next week's American Idol Top 13 special will be Michael Jackson themed (this was also reported by various Idol sources). Each contestant will have to perform a cover of one of Michael Jackson's hits. This is the first time that there has been an entire show dedicated to Michael Jackson music, although contestants have regularly done covers of his famous songs (usually to the dismay of judges, who consider Michael Jackson songs to be some of the most difficult to cover well). Americans are encouraged to tune in next Tuesday night for 13 unique covers of Michael Jackson favorites!

--------------

http://mjjr.net/news-i395-6.html

Jackson's Albums Soar High After American Idol Special!

20090311Essential.jpg

As predicted, Michael Jackson's albums have quickly soared in sales following the two-hour special Michael Jackson themed American Idol on Tuesday. The sales figures are expected to climb even higher during the next 24-48 hours as more details trickle in. On Amazon, a variety of Michael Jackson's albums have already jumped to the top movers and shakers list. Less than five hours after the broadcast, "The Essential Michael Jackson" has increased its sales by 2,377% and went from rank 8,001 to 323 of all music sold on Amazon. "Thriller 25" has seen an increase of 411% (ranked 171), "Number Ones" increased by 384%, and "Off the Wall" by 260%. Each of the previously mentioned albums are already within the top 25 largest increased music sales on Amazon. Since Amazon's figures are calculated based on 24-hour trends, the total impact of sales may not be realized for another day or so. Sales on iTunes are also increasing, with "The Essential Michael Jackson" showcased at the top of the home page, on a special sale in connection to American Idol. Other Jackson albums are climbing the iTunes Pop charts as well.

All 13 of the Michael Jackson covers performed on American Idol, in their extended studio versions, can be purchased and downloaded from iTunes by clicking HERE.

"The Essential Michael Jackson" can be purchased and downloaded from iTunes by clicking HERE.

Source: MJJR.net

Last edited:
dun dun dunnn!!! lol Let the speculation about whether MJ will turn up on the show or not begin. LOL!!!

Thanks for the news, TSCM! Now I have a reason to start watching it again. :fear:

I was listening to Ryan's show this morning and kept hearing Michael's name but not knowing why cuz I wasn't paying too close attention. So this is what Ryan was talking about, AWESOME! I cant wait for Tuesday nite, although I'm not looking forward to hearing a bunch of amateurs butcher MJ's songs, but I'm still, it's about damn time AI got did this!!

well..yeah i read that the show ran long and people tuned out. but now i have a reason to watch, too. top 13 instead of 12, MJ tickets go on sale on the 13th..a theme i guess..lol

i'm betting seacrest and simon and company will attend the concerts too. lol

When they had Stevie Wonder week, Stevie did the show (like many others) and they showed a clip of the contestant practicing with Stevie before coming out and doing the cover. Then, the next night, Stevie performed live.

Too bad they can't do this with MJ... having him talk about singing and giving some views on some young singers is what he sorely needs. I would love to hear him talk about some music. Every time he does an interview, it's always about his personal life and the hype and glamour. Never about the music. Which is probably why he's always so reluctant to do interviews. It's important to remember why he's famous in the first place, but everybody that interviews him overlooks that.

i havent wathed american idol since jsparks lol. guess ill tune it for a cackle of these pple slaughtering mj hits

When they had Stevie Wonder week, Stevie did the show (like many others) and they showed a clip of the contestant practicing with Stevie before coming out and doing the cover. Then, the next night, Stevie performed live.

Too bad they can't do this with MJ... having him talk about singing and giving some views on some young singers is what he sorely needs. I would love to hear him talk about some music. Every time he does an interview, it's always about his personal life and the hype and glamour. Never about the music. Which is probably why he's always so reluctant to do interviews. It's important to remember why he's famous in the first place, but everybody that interviews him overlooks that.

I'd like to second that :)

I said it would be a good idea for Michael to do a performance on this show this year. That will set the pace for the O2. It would be great.

I doubt he will make an appearance in person, but I could see him sending in a video clip or satellite broadcast to wish them luck…

I'm calling it right now: Off The Wall, Rock With You, DSTYGE, WBSS, Billie Jean, Human Nature, Beat It, Thriller, Baby Be Mine, Bad, and Smooth Criminal

Cause nothing after Bad exists.

omgosh I can't believe this is happiness! (jumps for joy!) oh man oh man oh man.. I love American Idol, I know a lot of you don't like it...

BUT I DO!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

SO EXCITED, I can't believe this! Muahahahahaha

i havent wathed american idol since jsparks lol. guess ill tune it for a cackle of these pple slaughtering mj hits

:lol:
so true!!

and GOD...they BETTER cover Dangerous and HIStory as well!!
And if someone does a cover of Invincible I'll pray they will :p

lol... but honestly it's so funny to hear people sing Michael songs because they always S-U-C-K... no matter how good a singer they are.
You just can't surpass perfection.

omg...and does anyone else think this a stint for AI to get more people watching because of the BIG COMEBACK and all ?

Naw, i think they just need the ratings...who else better to bring 'em up than Mike...?

Dang, I got rugby practice on tuesday..........but it should be on the net, right?

YES! I'll totally watch it! I haven't been watching this season at all really, but I'll definitely watch.
I was flipping through a week or so ago, and someone on there was singing "Man In The Mirror"... not very well, I might add!

Oh, so many great songs will be ruined this Tuesday! Haha.

YES! I'll totally watch it! I haven't been watching this season at all really, but I'll definitely watch.
I was flipping through a week or so ago, and someone on there was singing "Man In The Mirror"... not very well, I might add!

Oh, so many great songs will be ruined this Tuesday! Haha.

I disagree, I loved the Man in the Mirror performance.

They had an MJ night on Australian idol last year and most of them messed up. I would like to see how the American contenstants do. It's very rare, that any artist/singer/performer, can pull off Michael Jackson, no matter how talented they are.

Sounds like the wishes, speculations & rumors of the past couple of years are being realized :)

Last edited:
I will be watching. Thanks for posting.

AI is one of the best shows on tv. I am happy that they are finally doing an MJ theme. It is about time.

Man, this week is awesome. :)

I can't wait to watch it! :woohoo:

Awesooome, Michael Jackson night. :D

Cool! I'll definitely be watching next week!

They had an MJ night on Australian idol last year and most of them messed up. I would like to see how the American contenstants do. It's very rare, that any artist/singer/performer, can pull off Michael Jackson, no matter how talented they are.

Very true. I've only heard a handful of artists who have been able to do Michael's songs justice. His songs are difficult to pull off and can almost sound comical when attempted by anyone else. This just goes to show how talented Michael really is.

Agree- I would love to watch that!:yes:

Back