'American Idol' Must Find A Michael Jackson

Thank you! I don't watch the show but I was going to ask if they sang any MJ songs. I thought it was great and the audience loved it.

I watched it too.. I happened to remember it was on tonight and I was happy to see them do the Michael Jackson meldley. :)

:wub:
souldreamer7

Thanks for posting the video. It was a nice surprise when I realized it was a medley of MJ's songs they were doing. Started out a little pitchy as Randy often says, lol. But it progressed nicely.

I love American Idol and was pleasantly surprised when they opened the show with a medley of his songs. And I loved their choice of the songs.

Although I don't understand why Randy keeps comparing Thia to Michael. I mean you can look at Ashton and see a bit of Diana Ross in her, so the comparison is understandable, but Thia and Michael..... I don't know.

They need to stop with this. It'll never happen. The world so desperately keeps trying to fix what they messed up and they can't take it back. Is this why they've lowered the age a little bit on American Idol? So they can find some young kid to blow the world away like Michael did? Well it'll NEVER happen. Well, perhaps it might, but that kid won't be Michael Jackson and won't have the same influence he did. Why doesn't anybody want any originality? That's why Michael is so fabulous. Because of his uniqueness. And that's why there will never be another. There's only one.

This, too...

Plus, American Idol winners never last too long. They have a song or two but they fade in short time. The last season I intensely watched was when Kris Allen won. I rarely hear anything about him.

My point: We can't go searching for a unique talent, that talent has to come to us. That's exactly how I feel about Michael. He came to us. We didn't desperately go searching for him.

The bolded line is so true! You totally hit the nail on the head.

Although I don't understand why Randy keeps comparing Thia to Michael. I mean you can look at Ashton and see a bit of Diana Ross in her, so the comparison is understandable, but Thia and Michael..... I don't know.

I've noticed him saying that too and I don't get it either.

Last edited:
I love American Idol and was pleasantly surprised when they opened the show with a medley of his songs.
And I loved their choice of the songs.

Although I don't understand why Randy keeps comparing Thia to Michael.

I mean you can look at Ashton and see a bit of Diana Ross in her,
so the comparison is understandable, but Thia and Michael..... I don't know.
Even when he said it, I didnt hear it. (the comparison)
What he said was that Thia's "tone" reminds him of the
"late great Michael Jackson."

A friend of mine agreed with Randy. Yeah right! *rolls eyes*
She (my friend) couldnt carry a tune with a handle. Lol!

I know if somebody told me that my singing tone
reminded them of MJ, I'd be gushing all over the place.
Thia barely reacted at all.
She does have a very nice voice tho. :yes:

They had the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame week this week and Jacob sang Man In The Mirror and his back-up singer was Siedah Garrett!

I watched it last night. Honestly, I'm not impressed by Jacob's performance at all. To give him credit and be fair, MITM is an incredibly difficult song to cover. It's too iconic. It takes a vocalist's vocalist to convey the emotions and move people and make people stand up.

Jacob didn't butcher the song. But, I found his performance quite flat.

I always have conflicted feeling when contestants pick Michael's songs. On one hand, I want Michael's songs to be picked. On the other hand, it just reminds me Michael's absence even more. I have yet to hear anybody who can do a Michael Jackson song justice.

I hope more people pick Michael's songs. Before it felt like nobody wanted to pick his songs or I just never heard about it. I don't watch the show regularly. I understand that feeling of his absence when others sing his songs. I would rather see Michael sing his songs. I think some people forget all the great songs Michael did and it's a good way for people to remember and keep his spirit alive.

They had the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame week this week and Jacob sang Man In The Mirror and his back-up singer was Siedah Garrett!

It was nice to see Siedah on Idol last night. I didn't realize who that woman was until Steven Tyler introduced her. She deserves recognition for writing such a great song...made even greater by Michael Jackson's vocals.

I don't know about AI finding another one like Michael, but can I just say I was kinda pissed that Pia got the axe tonight? Tells me that America ain't got no CLUE what they want in their musical performers.

I don't know about AI finding another one like Michael, but can I just say I was kinda pissed that Pia got the axe tonight? Tells me that America ain't got no CLUE what they want in their musical performers.

Please, I am still fuming over the results tonight don't remind me, lol. I was rooting for Pia and voting for her. She really is very talented. I was sure she would go all the way. Now she is gone and lesser "talents" remain. I don't get what happened. I am so angry!

oh my god!!! I tried to avoid spoilers, cause I am only going to watch it tonight and the one place I didn't expect to read a spoiler is this forum!!!!! *cries and runs away*

oh my god!!! I tried to avoid spoilers, cause I am only going to watch it tonight and the one place I didn't expect to read a spoiler is this forum!!!!! *cries and runs away*

Same here!! :( If you're going to discuss who was eliminated, could you please post **SPOILER ALERT** or something similar at the beginning of your message? I would appreciate it.

Sorry bout that guys. I"ll do that from now on. I'm not one to care at all about spoilers and didn't think how anyone else might react to it. And to Suzy, by "lesser" talents I do hope you mean Stefano. Pretty voice and good looks, but that's it. He doesn't know how to use his talent and would rather just sing pretty notes into the mic. Dude needs knocked off pronto.

Sorry bout that guys. I"ll do that from now on.

And I have to agree with you about Stefano. I don't think he's got the "it" factor, there's no charisma in him. Pretty boy with pretty voice, that's about it. It's time for him to go.

And to Suzy, by "lesser" talents I do hope you mean Stefano. Pretty voice and good looks, but that's it. He doesn't know how to use his talent and would rather just sing pretty notes into the mic. Dude needs knocked off pronto.

The lesser talents in my opinion are everyone remaining except for Lauren. Lauren is the last promising talent left on this show. If she leaves I don't think I can keep watching this train wreck.

Please, I am still fuming over the results tonight don't remind me, lol. I was rooting for Pia and voting for her. She really is very talented. I was sure she would go all the way. Now she is gone and lesser "talents" remain. I don't get what happened. I am so angry!

I'm stunned. :no: And yet, Jacob, Stefano, and Paul get to stay.

I actually thought that Jacob's rendition of Man in the Mirror wasn't bad at all.

Sorry bout that guys. I"ll do that from now on. I'm not one to care at all about spoilers and didn't think how anyone else might react to it. And to Suzy, by "lesser" talents I do hope you mean Stefano. Pretty voice and good looks, but that's it. He doesn't know how to use his talent and would rather just sing pretty notes into the mic. Dude needs knocked off pronto.

He needed to be knocked off weeks ago! :coffee:

The lesser talents in my opinion are everyone remaining except for Lauren. Lauren is the last promising talent left on this show. If she leaves I don't think I can keep watching this train wreck.

My thoughts exactly. Pia, Lauren, and Casey were my top 3.

I agree with you that Stefano should have been sent home... I think Pia is a bit boring onstage but she is a great vocalist. Well, I don't think she will disappear from the face of the music world, I am sure producers will be all over her.

About spoilers, of course it's not like when you are watching a thriller and someone suddenly tells you who the killer is and completely ruins it for you lol But still it's more fun to be surprised and Pia's elimination was a HUGE surprise!

I always have conflicted feeling when contestants pick Michael's songs. On one hand, I want Michael's songs to be picked. On the other hand, it just reminds me Michael's absence even more. I have yet to hear anybody who can do a Michael Jackson song justice.

Same here. Jacob's performance was alright but you really have to give a phenomenal performance if you want to make it with a Michael Jackson song. Randy always tells the girls that you have to be careful with singers like Whitney Houston and Celine Dion, and I think that from male singers the one to be wary of is Mike. In 2009 they had a Michael Jackson week on AI and pretty much all the performances felt really mediocre because the original versions are so incredible that it's almost impossible to do anything with them that doesn't sound sub-par.

It was nice to see Siedah on stage though, even if it reminded me of Michael's absence. :( Siedah may have written the song, but Michael made that song as iconic as it is.

Back