American Idol - Haley Reinhart performs EARTH SONG!

Hmm.. well since I don't live in the US and that I don't follow the show I have an objective opinion (except for the fact that Steven Tyler is just too cool to be true lol)

I didn't like the beginning of her performance, it was like I strangled a cat thing... I admit I got chills when she started screaming the what about us thing, but it faded at the half of it... so.. thanks for the tribute, glad you love MJ :) But I wouldn't keep her in the show, or maybe it was just not the right song for her voice.. well it was obviously not the right song for her voice, but well I give her 45% :)

I agree. How many people watch American Idol? Maybe they want to hear how Michael sang it. I think as someone said here that it was a song post Thriller and Bad. People need to remember all the great work he did. Even though Michael would sing his songs the best, I think I would be sad if no one ever picked a song of his to sing. If the judges don't think it was a hit song then they need to be educated about that. Does it matter if they pick a hit song? There are plenty of times songs don't get the attention it deserves.

Exactly! The songs from History album and onwards were amazing songs too. These judges need to take some lessons on music history especially MJ's in the 90's. They really sound foolish with their ignorant remarks.

It is a great thing that the new generation is acknowledging these amazing songs and exposing it to the U.S. It is high time the States understand what amazing work Michael did in the 90's, especially History and beyond.

I think she did perform it good.

The 'problem' is, Michael had always performed his songs impressive.

I'd never even have the idea to compare those.

However she's not competing to Michael Jackson just to those other young guys and in comparison to that the judges should judge and give her advices. J.Lo. didn't do badly... if that girl listened she can learn from that for that very competition she's in. She didn't get critic for her voice or handling that tool (technique) because she did really good.
What Steve Tyler (and I really do love his music) and Randy Jackson (why is he even sitting there??!!) gave however was to me some subjective bs but no critic... they're both just in love with themselves a tiny bit too much.

Eh - It wasn't bad, but I wasn't impressed. In general, MJ just shouldn't be touched unless you take a *completely* different approach, stylizing it yourself 100%. Anyone trying to reproduce MJ and the level of emotions he put out is just going to fall flat. But we all know that, so moving on to how sexy Steven Tyler is... heh. I agree with everyone on the first page. I watch the show just for him. Love him. Would get with him in a heartbeat. :cheeky:

I watched it last night on ITV2 and unfortunately I have to say that she wasn't good, Earth Song was simply too difficult for her. Nevertheless, I actually appreciate that she chose an MJ song, it was just the wrong one for her (always love it when ppl say how MJ inspires them). On a more positive note, I hope this has sparked the American public's interest in the History album, so this was - in a way - some promotion for Michael. If Steven thought her performance was good, wait until he hears the original version by MJ. :D

Back