8 grammys for swifty

:doh: Most overrated artist ever. That's ridiculous, but I don't really care because the Grammys have become a joke now. They've become totally meaningless.

It really shows just how the music business has gone, when Taylor Swift is being compared to Michael Jackson...

Agree.

I dont even know why people are comparing Michael's grammies won to Swifts??? I really dont know why people are even talking about the grammies. The grammies are not a credible valune anymore to music, they give out awards to artists, there not earned anymore... So whats up for discussion? nothing..

yeah. that's why i think the media reacted to it, like they did, and said they didn't like it, cus deep inside, they knew he helped her career, too.

And now in the world, not so much now compared to 2 months or so ago, its cool to hate Kanye West. Which kinda sucks from my point of view being a Kanye fan. Because it means his music will get overlooked. Which I think is a big shame.

Edit: 700 posts :)

The Grammys have officially lost it's credibility. It seems like it's a lot easier for artists to win Grammys now than it was back then. I am a Beyonce' fan, but I think 10 nominations is too much for her..her music wasn't that great. She's tied with Lauryn Hill with the most Grammy nods for a female artist. It's crazy because Lauryn had one of the greatest albums of all time!! Don't get me started with Taylor Swift because she's sooo OVERRATED!! She doesn't deserve those 8 Grammy nods either. If any of them match or beat MJ's record then the Grammys have officially went down!!

A bit of a misleading title, innit? If that country tween gets 8 grammys then I'll post pictures of myself dressed as Marilyn Monroe with the dress blowing and all. Panties included.

And I would dress as Marilyn Manson. Everything included :lol:

Re: Milli Vanilli

They did that when Robert & Fabrice won in 1990. :tease::party:
Who are they?

Edit: Oh Milli Vanilli, I can't believe that slipped out of my mind. And that Grammy was revoked was'nt it, when it was found out they were lip syncing?

And I'm not a fan of Taylor Swift music for the reason that It is teenybopper country. I like old school country music.

Last edited:
Re: Milli Vanilli

Who are they?

Edit: Oh Milli Vanilli, I can't believe that slipped out of my mind. And that Grammy was revoked was'nt it, when it was found out they were lip syncing?

And I'm not a fan of Taylor Swift music for the reason that It is teenybopper country. I like old school country music.
Regardless of that, I didn't think they should have won in the 1st place. They later made a record with them actually singing and they performed on the Arsenio Hall Show to promote it. Rob & Fab sounded better than the singers they were miming to, lol. I did like "Blame It On The Rain" a lot though.

I just got through listening to Taylor Swift. I honestly don't have any mean things to say about her or anything. I think she's a sweet heart and has done absolutely nothing wrong. She's just doing her thing and that's it. so far.
Is she overrated? In my opinion, when it comes to the Grammy Awards and what it once stood for, probably. I'm not so sure. But when it comes to comparing her to Michael as a side by side talent, then yes. Slightly. lol. The media got a little too crazy over her right after the Kanye incident.
She is very talented, don't get me wrong. And I'm happy for her.

I listened to 3 of her songs on YouTube a few minutes ago. And personally, it wasn't my cup of tea. I just couldn't go further than 3 songs. I was getting antsy during the second track called Love Story.

I'm a very eclectic listener. I love listening to all types of music, even SOME country. But I couldn't take in her music very well. I just wasn't vibin' with it. I felt like I was listening to Avril Lavigne or one of the other teen girl idol singers that show up on Nickelodeon or the Disney Channel. But it wasn't terrible music.

I tried to understand the sudden facination behind Swift without being biased. I know that just because I don't dig in it, doesn't mean everyone else wont either.
So.. though her music has no grasping effect on me, the only thing I can see and probably understand why she sold millions of records, was
1. because of our friend Kanye West lol. 2. Because now we have the internet which actually has changed the way an album sets records. And 3. because her music is possibly deemed a safe role model to listen to and also quite an attraction to generation MTV.

One could call it mother approved and styled for the target audience. There's no nasty puns or lyrics about drugs, shakin' it, poppin a cap up in someones behind, etc. I can appreciate that very much.

Since her music sold millions and IMO is a very teen (children) type of music, I'm willing to believe that millions of parents around the US bought and supported her album for their kids rather than just buying a favorite cd album for one's self, possibly doubling sales.
And you got one other thing to consider. It is known, and this took me by surprise, that country music is the most sold music in the US. That's right.
As much as many frown and make jokes about listening to country...it is one of the most marketable types of music out there. So that would help sales easy.

This Christmas, I discovered my 14 year old sister loves Taylor and has her album, to my surprise.

This fad strongly reminds me of this book called Twilight. Which many female teenagers and their moms fell in love with. Making the first low budget production film, rank higher than The Dark Knight movie, enabling it to come back even stronger with its second film, New Moon (production value wise).

These things happen.

So though Taylor is no where near Michael Jackson's level in any way and I find it completely ridiculous and disrespectful to even compare the two (I'm sure Taylor Swift herself would agree), we gotta keep in mind that we no longer have anyone like Michael Jackson today. All we have now, are the ones the media chooses to push in our ears. And no one, absolutely no one, on the radio today comes near Michael Jackson in any form.
Just quasi versions of him perhaps. But not the same magnitude.

There are many talented people out there who never get discovered by the mainstream media folks. There are many who do and get turned into a musical tool to aid a financial agenda and nothing more.
This is just what it is unfortunately. It's not as legitimate as it once was.

Well... at least Taylor isn't singing about breaking the world apart or promoting hate against males and what not.. She's a cute gal and has talent. I hope she finds her place and becomes a new hope for the world and not lost in all this media garbage.
She's going to have to watch her every step from here on out because the vultures (the same people who put her on a pedestal) will be there waiting to rip her limb from limb if she drops the ball throughout her career.

In conclusion... I feel that the Grammys, the AMAs and the MTV Awards are all one big ginormous inexcusable joke. :agree:

Last edited:
I'm gonna repeat myself : this breaks my heart.

I want music awards to have great value.

I just got through listening to Taylor Swift. I honestly don't have any mean things to say about her or anything. I think she's a sweet heart and has done absolutely nothing wrong. She's just doing her thing and that's it. so far.
Is she overrated? In my opinion, when it comes to the Grammy Awards and what it once stood for, probably. I'm not so sure. But when it comes to comparing her to Michael as a side by side talent, then yes. Slightly. lol. The media got a little too crazy over her right after the Kanye incident.

I listened to 3 of her songs on YouTube a few minutes ago. And personally, it wasn't my cup of tea. I just couldn't go further than 3 songs. I was getting antsy during the second track called Love Story.

I'm a very eclectic listener. I love listening to all types of music, even SOME country. But I couldn't take in her music very well. I just wasn't vibin' with it. I felt like I was listening to Avril Lavigne or one of the other teen girl idol singers that show up on Nickelodeon or the Disney Channel. But it wasn't terrible music.

I tried to understand the sudden facination behind Swift without being biased. I know that just because I don't dig in it, doesn't mean everyone else wont either.
So.. though her music has no grasping effect on me, the only thing I can see and probably understand why she sold millions of records, was
1. because of our friend Kanye West lol. 2. Because now we have the internet which actually has changed the way an album sets records. And 3. because her music is possibly deemed a safe role model to listen to and also quite an attraction to generation MTV.

One could call it mother approved and styled for the target audience. There's no nasty puns or lyrics about drugs, shakin' it, poppin a cap up in someones behind, etc. I can appreciate that very much.

Since her music sold millions and IMO is a very teen (children) type of music, I'm willing to believe that millions of parents around the US bought and supported her album for their kids rather than just buying a favorite cd album for one's self, possibly doubling sales.
And you got one other thing to consider. It is known, and this took me by surprise, that country music is the most sold music in the US. That's right.
As much as many frown and make jokes about listening to country...it is one of the most marketable types of music out there. So that would help sales easy.

This Christmas, I discovered my 14 year old sister loves Taylor and has her album, to my surprise.

This fad strongly reminds me of this book called Twilight. Which many female teenagers and their moms fell in love with. Making the first low budget production film, rank higher than The Dark Knight movie, enabling it to come back even stronger with its second film, New Moon (production value wise).

These things happen.

So though Taylor is no where near Michael Jackson's level in any way and I find it completely ridiculous and disrespectful to even compare the two (I'm sure Taylor Swift herself would agree), we gotta keep in mind that we no longer have anyone like Michael Jackson today. All we have now, are the ones the media chooses to push in our ears. And no one, absolutely no one, on the radio today comes near Michael Jackson in any form.

There are many talented people out there who never get discovered by the mainstream media folks. There are many who do and get turned into a musical tool to aid a financial agenda and nothing more.

Well... at least Taylor isn't singing about breaking the world apart or promoting hate against males and what not.. She's a cute gal and has talent. I hope she finds her place and becomes a new hope for the world and not lost in all this media garbage.
She's going to have to watch her every step from here on out because the vultures (the same people who put her on a pedestal) will be there waiting to rip her limb from limb if she drops the ball throughout her career.

In conclusion... I feel that the Grammys, the AMAs and the MTV Awards are all one big ginormous inexcusable joke. :agree:

:clapping:I 100% agree with you. :yes:

It is known, and this took me by surprise, that country music is the most sold music in the US. That's right.
She's not country, and neither is a lot of the other stuff that is called "country" today. It's pop. It has little or nothing to do with George Jones, Patsy Cline, George Strait, Alabama, Loretta Lynn, or even Kenny Rogers. It's like saying Ashanti is "R&B" like The Dramatics.

She's not country, and neither is a lot of the other stuff that is called "country" today. It's pop. It has little or nothing to do with George Jones, Patsy Cline, George Strait, Alabama, Loretta Lynn, or even Kenny Rogers. It's like saying Ashanti is "R&B" like The Dramatics.

Every mainstream thing today seems to be pop. Rap today seems to be that way too. I think the real version of said genre today is usually unsigned and stuff.

Santana did not deserve to tie "Thriller's" record
I'm not being bias but it's the truth, Thriller is a masterpiece while Santana's album was not.

If Swift ties I'm going to be upset....she's not even that incredible and not to mention she's a boring performer. I like the girl and I think she's talented but she does not deserve all of those grammy nods.

Every mainstream thing today seems to be pop. Rap today seems to be that way too. I think the real version of said genre today is usually unsigned and stuff.

Everything that is mainstream playing on the radio is popular music. Most non commericial artists stay true to the real genres for example: Jill Scott, Erykah badu, India Arie, lauryn hill is what r&b is suppose to sound like.

I'm gonna repeat myself : this breaks my heart.

I want music awards to have great value.

Well until mainstream artists exactly put out good material its forever going to be this way. I predict it will just get worse because the industry is way different then what it use to be. Anybody can be a hit artist nowadays because of image which is most important in this industry not real talent ot real music.

The Grammys have officially lost it's credibility. It seems like it's a lot easier for artists to win Grammys now than it was back then. I am a Beyonce' fan, but I think 10 nominations is too much for her..her music wasn't that great. She's tied with Lauryn Hill with the most Grammy nods for a female artist. It's crazy because Lauryn had one of the greatest albums of all time!! Don't get me started with Taylor Swift because she's sooo OVERRATED!! She doesn't deserve those 8 Grammy nods either. If any of them match or beat MJ's record then the Grammys have officially went down!!

Beyonce has the most nominations... no correction Beyonce always has the most nominations because she is a popular artist and the award shows need an artist to headline the show to draw public interest. I personally feel every award that she has received she has not deserved and I think her nominations are ridiculous but I feel that way with most mainstream artists. These shows dont mean anything. There only for sales and entertainment. Laurn Hill Miseducation album is a classic and is better than anything Beyonce has made or will ever make.

These things happen.

I love you.

Everything that is mainstream playing on the radio is popular music. Most non commericial artists stay true to the real genres for example: Jill Scott, Erykah badu, India Arie, lauryn hill is what r&b is suppose to sound like.

That is the complete reason why I don't listen radio these days. And the people who do get played are people who don't deserve it. And I agree those are real R&B artists that you named and not the build-an-star clone types.

Well until mainstream artists exactly put out good material its forever going to be this way. I predict it will just get worse because the industry is way different then what it use to be. Anybody can be a hit artist nowadays because of image which is most important in this industry not real talent ot real music.

Beyonce has the most nominations... no correction Beyonce always has the most nominations because she is a popular artist and the award shows need an artist to headline the show to draw public interest. I personally feel every award that she has received she has not deserved and I think her nominations are ridiculous but I feel that way with most mainstream artists. These shows dont mean anything. There only for sales and entertainment. Laurn Hill Miseducation album is a classic and is better than anything Beyonce has made or will ever make.

I meant to say that Beyonce is tied with Lauryn for the most grammy nods for a female artist in one year..which is really sad because Lauryn Hill's album was genius compared to I Am..Sasha Fierce. I also love artist that are not mainstream better than mainstream artist because I feel that the music is so much better..from the production to the lyrics..that why I love artists like Lauryn, Maxwell, D'Angelo, Erykah Badu, Jill Scott..They stay true to themselves and they are very consistent..well I admire a lot of Neo-Soul artists because of that..And yeah mainstream artists back then put out better music than mainstream artists now..I still can't believe that Beyonce, Alicia, and Kanye (even though he's talented) have more grammy's than Legends like Prince, Janet, and even Madonna..and they are about to pass MJ, Aretha, and maybe Stevie as well..but it's so much easier for artists to win awards now..I wish that the Grammy's were more about making great music instead of popularity..like this year, even though Maxwell got 6 nominations, he should've been the most nominated artist of this year..his album was the best of 2009..

Also, I honestly don't think Beyonce or Taylor Swift will touch MJ's record of 8 Grammys won in one night..

Last edited:
I meant to say that Beyonce is tied with Lauryn for the most grammy nods for a female artist in one year..which is really sad because Lauryn Hill's album was genius compared to I Am..Sasha Fierce. I also love artist that are not mainstream better than mainstream artist because I feel that the music is so much better..from the production to the lyrics..that why I love artists like Lauryn, Maxwell, D'Angelo, Erykah Badu, Jill Scott..They stay true to themselves and they are very consistent..well I admire a lot of Neo-Soul artists because of that..And yeah mainstream artists back then put out better music than mainstream artists now..I still can't believe that Beyonce, Alicia, and Kanye (even though he's talented) have more grammy's than Legends like Prince, Janet, and even Madonna..and they are about to pass MJ, Aretha, and maybe Stevie as well..but it's so much easier for artists to win awards now..I wish that the Grammy's were more about making great music instead of popularity..like this year, even though Maxwell got 6 nominations, he should've been the most nominated artist of this year..his album was the best of 2009..

Also, I honestly don't think Beyonce or Taylor Swift will touch MJ's record of 8 Grammys won in one night..

Your right on point. I also think its sad like u said they have more grammies then Prince and Marvin Gaye but this is why awards really dont mean anything. If there is no real substance behind the award. Its just a nice decorative piece of metal to put up on a shelf. Most awards nowadays are just given, they are never earned. Thats why I find it annoying that MJ fans and just people in general take the time to make threads about these awards shows and are interested in them when they really dont mean anything. Its only a popularity contest but u pretty much summed up my thoughts lol

I think I understand what you're saying.
But that's what the media has listed her as regardless. A country "pop" star. Just 3 nights ago, on VH1, they literally said "country pop singer, Taylor Swift, etc etc".
So perhaps a mix of both country and pop? :scratch:

The thing is, she sold an alarming rate of albums. And the country fan world definitely took her in. And they're nothing to sneeze at. Country fans come in huge numbers not to be underestimated. The genre is just not as overly exposed in the media stream as other music genres like R&B, rap, hip hop, pop rock, etc.

She probably knew this way before and strategically mixed it up? Maybe she knew it'd be smart to represent country and mainstream pop? Maybe not. Who knows. But whatever it was, it worked. :D

I wonder if any popular genre of music today is a pure representation of its category. :scratch:

Back