46664 - Will Michael attend Mandela's 90th birthday?

Re: 46664

I just get the feeling that his presence overshadows every one elses, so to avoid that, he just doesn't attend, or he may go incognito.

I agree with you Dats.

IF Michael makes an appearance, it AUTOMATICALLY turns into the Michael Jackson Show. LOL! (Especially, since we haven't seen him out in public for awhile.)

I can certainly understand him not wanting to take the focus off of the person being honored.

I agree with you Dats.

IF Michael makes an appearance, it AUTOMATICALLY turns into the Michael Jackson Show. LOL! (Especially, since we haven't seen him out in public for awhile.)

I can certainly understand him not wanting to take the focus off of the person being honored.

michael didnt overshaddow james browns funeral. there was only a few clips of MJs speach, along with every elses. He wont overshaddow anything.

michael didnt overshaddow james browns funeral. there was only a few clips of MJs speach, along with every elses. He wont overshaddow anything.

LOL! In my opinion, he did overshadow Brown's going home celebration. I also feel that CNN would NOT have covered the entire ceremony, had Michael Jackson not been there.

There was also a portion of that ceremony, when the young girls were calling out Michael's name, so much so, that Al Sharpton had to tell them to be quiet. LOL! They were screaming out MJ's name because they thought he was leaving. They weren't screaming out anybody else's name.

LOL! In my opinion, he did overshadow Brown's going home celebration. I also feel that CNN would NOT have covered the entire ceremony, had Michael Jackson not been there.

There was also a portion of that ceremony, when the young girls were calling out Michael's name, so much so, that Al Sharpton had to tell them to be quiet. LOL! They were screaming out MJ's name because they thought he was leaving. They weren't screaming out anybody else's name.
That is very true and you could see that the people in charge were constantly hushing the crowd and telling them to be quiet. The camera was focused on MJ everytime he moved. MJ also refused to go on stage when he was asked to join MJ hammer. The story would have all been about MJ the next day.
also jessie jackson's birthday was all about MJ, but I guess jessie was happy with that cause he get some media attention whoch is what he wanted.

That is very true and you could see that the people in charge were constantly hushing the crowd and telling them to be quiet. The camera was focused on MJ everytime he moved. MJ also refused to go on stage when he was asked to join MJ hammer. The story would have all been about MJ the next day.
also jessie jackson's birthday was all about MJ, but I guess jessie was happy with that cause he get some media attention whoch is what he wanted.

was all about MJ to us, coz we are MJ fans. Truely, the news here (austraia) barely even bothered to mention that MJ was even there.

Right on!

And let me also add this little tidbit. A week or so ago, ASCAP had this huge award ceremony in New York City. They were honoring Quincy Jones. The next day there were NO pictures and basically NOBODY was talking about Qunicy's big night. (Nothing in the NY Daily News, Nothing in the NY Post, Nothing on the entertainment programs.)

Now had Michael Jackson been there, it would have made news around the WORLD!

I'm seeing Bon Jovi on the same day (at Twickenham) so will be giving this a miss, regardless of whether MJ attends or not.

I doubt he'll be there.

Last edited:

It sure didn't. Besides I was more mesmerized by MC Hammer's dancing, Al Sharpton's speech about James and just remembering the great James Brown. I smiled the day of the funeral because I knew, IN SPITE OF EVERYTHING SINCE, James was at least at peace.

Michael didn't overshadow James' funeral IMHO and he wouldn't overshadow Mandela. That's disrespectful to assume that just IMO, you know? And if it does, the stupid media will of course report about it negatively so I hardly call it "stealing the show", lol.

It sure didn't. Besides I was more mesmerized by MC Hammer's dancing, Al Sharpton's speech about James and just remembering the great James Brown. I smiled the day of the funeral because I knew, IN SPITE OF EVERYTHING SINCE, James was at least at peace.

Michael didn't overshadow James' funeral IMHO and he wouldn't overshadow Mandela. That's disrespectful to assume that just IMO, you know? And if it does, the stupid media will of course report about it negatively so I hardly call it "stealing the show", lol.
Michael did not overshadow James funeral. What we are saying is that things were kept under control. MJ deliberately refused to go on stage with MC even though the daughter begged him to. He was shielded and he made every effort to be in the background. It could have been different. There were people screaming for MJ in the crowd, and also people running outside to see him. Al had to shout at the crowd saying that MJ isn't gone. Also remember that MJ fans were not in that crowd cause they didn't expect mj to be there. Neither did the media.

Last edited:
LOL, you know some people steal the shows at MJ events too. Whitney's controversial appearance at the 2001 MSG show actually attracted MORE buzz than Michael's performances.

LOL, you know some people steal the shows at MJ events too. Whitney's controversial appearance at the 2001 MSG show actually attracted MORE buzz than Michael's performances.
Lawd, I am not surprised, but I do love me some whitney. Just been listening to her on youtube.:D

If he does show up it will be a huge suprise, i'm going regardless of knowing the full line up as lots of big acts are going to perform but have been kept secret as a suprise for mandela.

I doubt it, hes never ever done these kind of things. I think a video message would be cool.
Me personally would be glad, if Michael THIS TIME doesn't do a video message, oh no, please not. It would be too little, IMO :agree:

Last edited:
AW: Re: 46664

I agree!!!

guess who has tickets???? me!!!!

omg omg omg omg please turn up michael im gonig to get to see kanye west omg i might cry!! i love kanye jay z p diddy eminem omg it going to rule

well in regards to JB's funeral, MJ didn't overshadow it. Sure the media is going to cover his potion of anything that he attends BUT MJ tries to keep the 'spectacle' at a minimum, especially when it's about someone else. As far as the coverage of JB's funeral people were sure to mention MJ was there, but they also devoted a bulk of the coverage to James Brown's legacy.

Now, had MJ decided to go up there and perform like the band had asked him to, THEN he would have overshadowed the funeral lol. An example of how MJ knows to keep it to a minimum when appropriate.

Last edited:
This was on the Website where you could get ticket info...

The concert will feature numerous unexpected appearances, with several major artists keeping silent about their involvement in order to take both Mr Mandela and the audience by surprise.

Whenever I see something like that I immediately think of Michael :wub:

I think it would be nice for him to go, I know he admires and respects Mr. Mandela, why wouldn't he go?..if he is invited of course:)

he may go, but definatly not preform, if he preformed it wuld turn 2 a huge event 2 go c mj preform lol, hes sooo huge he wuld take ova da event lol but it wuld be good 2 c him pay respects...

i have not seeing anything on Michael attend Mandela's 90th birthday. I hope he does attend

Im going to the the concert with my friend and she said 'oh my god you will just stand there screaming the whole time if mj shows up', she knows me so well! LOL

Last edited:
This was on the Website where you could get ticket info...

The concert will feature numerous unexpected appearances, with several major artists keeping silent about their involvement in order to take both Mr Mandela and the audience by surprise.

Whenever I see something like that I immediately think of Michael :wub:

I think it would be nice for him to go, I know he admires and respects Mr. Mandela, why wouldn't he go?..if he is invited of course:)

They organisers probably have tried to get into contact with Michael at some point whether they were successful or not who knows. And although I hope he is one of the people expected to make and unexpected appearance. This is something i'm guessing is being used to attract people to buy tickets esspicially if people dont care for the current line up.
and they say several Major artists who else (If MJ was to appear) could make a bigger suprise after his appearance

I wish the concert would be televised/streamed live, I'm sure it'll be an enjoyable event with or without Michael's presence. Obviously, if Michael Jackson was slated to be one of the major surprise guests, then confirming it for anyone would completely ruin the "surprise". But since his involvement has been denied by the company, nobody should expect Michael to attend nor should they criticize him when and if he doesn't. It'll be interesting to see who these surprise guests are...

nelson_mandela_og_michael_jackson1_.jpg

Oh I cant wait to c him perform!! though I never had the chance to c him live but it feels like good old days!! I know Michael really loves and respect Mandela!

I have to tell you when I read this title for the first time I read somehow "Will Mandela attend Michael's 90th birthday".

No, I wasn't and have never been smoking anything. But when I realised what I read I felt it kinda funny. :lol:

Last edited:
somehow I wouldnt be surprised if the surprise performaers ended up being U2 and Maddona somehow...

Back