3-hour Interview with Joe Vogel

http://twitter.com/JoeVogel1

I read the AV Club article on MJ's Bad. Hyden starts out with a compelling question: Why the insanely vitriolic response to this album?

But then proceeds to offer most of the same reductive, petty, predictable nonsense that's been written about MJ for decades.

As usual, most of this is mythology, speculation, and pseudo-pscyhoanalysis. I actually interviewed people who worked on this album

They speak of an artist and person who is multi-dimensional: passionate, kind, funny, shy and HUMAN, not a caricature or corporation.

Did MJ want to sell 100 million copies? Yes. But why? That's the question critics never really consider.

The assumption is that he was this vain, calculating, materialistic "entertainer" targeting demographics.

The truth is that since he was young, he was told black artists couldn't be the best. He wanted to prove them wrong.

He wanted to be the best: commercially AND artistically.

He believed in his music and wanted it to reach as many people as possible.

I address all this in my book. Bottom line: the MJ media
caricature is nothing like the artist who worked tirelessly on Bad for 3 years

http://twitter.com/JoeVogel1

I read the AV Club article on MJ's Bad. Hyden starts out with a compelling question: Why the insanely vitriolic response to this album?

But then proceeds to offer most of the same reductive, petty, predictable nonsense that's been written about MJ for decades.

As usual, most of this is mythology, speculation, and pseudo-pscyhoanalysis. I actually interviewed people who worked on this album

They speak of an artist and person who is multi-dimensional: passionate, kind, funny, shy and HUMAN, not a caricature or corporation.

Did MJ want to sell 100 million copies? Yes. But why? That's the question critics never really consider.

The assumption is that he was this vain, calculating, materialistic "entertainer" targeting demographics.

The truth is that since he was young, he was told black artists couldn't be the best. He wanted to prove them wrong.

He wanted to be the best: commercially AND artistically.

He believed in his music and wanted it to reach as many people as possible.

I address all this in my book. Bottom line: the MJ media
caricature is nothing like the artist who worked tirelessly on Bad for 3 years

:wild: :punk:

Thanks for posting! I did not know he has twitter. :doh:

This dude has got a brilliant mind. I really hope I won't be proven wrong in the end and that he won't change this approach and doesn't just do that for attention, because I'm always wary about almost anyone these days in the Jackson world. But so far, I'll just say he's brilliant and you can't fake brilliance.

Last edited:
This dude has got a brilliant mind. I really hope I won't be proven wrong in the end and that he won't change this approach and doesn't just do that for attention, because I'm always wary about almost anyone these days in the Jackson world. But so far, I'll just say he's brilliant and you can't fake brilliance.

I feel you in this. I also hope that we won't be disappointed in the end and that all this is based on real and genuine interest .* Fingers crossed*

Back