R&B music

Chanté Moore & Keith Washington ~ Candlelight And You

Shame R&B died in the 90s
Crazy, isn't it?

Ngl, there's lots of R&B that doesn't do it for me. The Luther Vandross kind of, really smooth (to my ears) r&b doesn't seem to go anywhere. There needs to be more going on, especially with the voice. Not saying his voice was rubbish. He was good but he just wasn't able to grab and hold my attention.

Barbara Lynn / You'll Lose A Good Thing / 1962

2m 46s

Her voice is divine, imo. She plays guitar. I need to check but I think she also wrote this song.

Crazy, isn't it?

Ngl, there's lots of R&B that doesn't do it for me. The Luther Vandross kind of, really smooth (to my ears) r&b doesn't seem to go anywhere. There needs to be more going on, especially with the voice. Not saying his voice was rubbish. He was good but he just wasn't able to grab and hold my attention.
I like Luther and thought he was fantastic but he was a little too 1 dimensional, same subject matter and the same melody he kept doing

I like Luther and thought he was fantastic but he was a little too 1 dimensional, same subject matter and the same melody he kept doing
That's a fair assessment. He had a good voice and his material was fine except ... there just wasn't enough going on for me. I'm not talking about histrionics. Don't like it when singers do that. But his type of R&B, it's just a bit too bland, imo. His type of r&b is the type that always makes me think I don't like the genre but it's so wide-ranging, I can always find something that blows me away.

That's a fair assessment. He had a good voice and his material was fine except ... there just wasn't enough going on for me. I'm not talking about histrionics. Don't like it when singers do that. But his type of R&B, it's just a bit too bland, imo. His type of r&b is the type that always makes me think I don't like the genre but it's so wide-ranging, I can always find something that blows me away.
This is a common take about Luther, I know what you mean.

My dad loved this man. I was born in 1959 so I was a bit too young for his peak from 1968-1971. But I got into him in the latter part of the 70s

97e3e2280dfaef9dcd1ff6f0a0c48cf83abfd6d0.jpg
2b9afdf6326dc12c58a138e027c810f0355de113.jpg

Chuck Brown & The Soul Searchers ~ Ashley's Roachclip / Bustin' Loose
This group is under a R&B sub-genre called Go-Go, which was primarily popular in Washington DC. The first song Ashley's Roachclip has been sampled a lot of times, the drum solo especially. Bustin' Loose is their biggest hit though, and there's an interpolation in the popular Nelly song Hot In Herre.

Back