Michael Jackson Album Sales After Death: An In-Depth Look

So, the point of Wiki is that if any registered member can change the "numbers", why not some of MJJC?

There are many threads and several members here specialized in selling and the "numbers"..., so why dont they upgrade MJs wikipedia site, and the lists of best selling artists... like the so-called haters??

The word is that the 'author' of the article is an MJ hater and has locked the article so that no one can change it. There is a forum where people have gone in and tried to get the author to change the numbers.

Say what?

Ive never heard anything as a locked article on wikipedia. Hows that possible? What if new official information is released.. you cant add/edit it?

I thought that anyone with an account could edit an article there.

Say what?

Ive never heard anything as a locked article on wikipedia. Hows that possible? What if new official information is released.. you cant add/edit it?

I thought that anyone with an account could edit an article there.

Yeah, I went to the article site and there is a little gold lock on the upper right hand corner. Someone had locked it. I don't know if it was the original author of the article or just someone with a lot of clout at wikipedia (like someon who has written a lot of articles). But people have been trying to convince this guy, fredastaire, to fix Michael's numbers to the rightful one on the discussion page of the article.

The lock means that it is 'protected' and has 'full protection' and can only be edited by administrators. Here is all the info on what the lock means and how we can get info changed. It seems like a long, arduous process that still needs to be approved by administrators and apparently there is an administrator that is hating on Michael.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Protection_policy#full

Here it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

HERE IS THE TALK PAGE:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Li..._music_artists

I'm telling you. There is something fishy going on. I think it's the 'system' or something like that!

Last edited:
Hi , I'm new to this forum. I'm a huge fan from Canada. Soo happy to hear that his sales are enormous. I hope he breaks all kinds of records. Love knowing that the world is hearing his music and message. This is his legacy and what he wanted. He always spoke of wanting his creative works to be remembers and to last forever. Just wish he could be here to see this. Being a Christian , I know he is in Heaven watching all of this happening and is smiling for sure. I've bought Jackson #1 (Yellow CD cover), OffThe Wall, Thriller 25 Anniv. , Dangerous and Bad CDs. Also, bought Dangerous and Bad concert DVD's and one called Michael Jackson Triumph and Trial (about the second trial) . Next will buy Blood...Dance, and Invicible. Can anyone tell me if I'll be missing any songs. Love ALL HIS MUSIC.

Thankyou for keeping track of these numbers. Would like to see the wikipedia sites updated with these numbers so the world can see just how amazing Michael's music is. Whereabouts are you from in Canada, eh? I'm from Vernon, BC.

thanks for all your tabulation.
My hopes are HIGH to see mj's Thriller album to become the truly no1 album, to beat EAGLES spot....after that, there are really nothing else he can do to prove he is really on TOP.

Notwithstanding all the digital downloads. He may even be the best seller there for this year!

I am so excited. Hope everyone will want a Thriller album for their Christmas stocking!

MJ is soooo much better than The Eagles!

I bought Thriller 25 here recently!

Just curious, how many albums did Elvis have?
How many did the Beatles have?

MJ only had 6 studio albums with Sony and 4 with Motown. Not counting Jacksons / Jackson 5 stuff. So he only had 10 studio albums. I think if you averaged out sales per album, MJ would be well up on Elvis and the Beatles.

As will happen in time with MJ, Elvis has had many posthumous releases. When these happen for MJ with all the unreleased material, just watch his sales skyrocket further!

Also consider that The Beatles (Lennon) and Elvis have been dead a long time now. We can see from MJ's huge increase in sales that this definitely has a baring. MJ has only been dead for 2 months and he is already at comparable sales figures to these. Given time, he will surely fly past them.

Further consider that piracy is big nowadays and many people will just burn a copy from their friend's CD rather than fork out money to buy it!

To me, even if MJ is behind the others, if you pro-rata it for time deceased and number of albums, MJ would slaughter the others.

Last edited:
BTW - I like to think I have done my own little part in MJ's posthumous sales. I bought family members the whole set of MJ albums and DVD's! lol

Updated the US figures based on recent data. Jackson has sold 4.63 million albums in the US since his death! He shifted another 190,000 albums this week alone including almost 70,000 copies of Number Ones. Number Ones was the #2 biggest selling album in the country this week. The Essential remained in the Top 10 at #9. Thriller dropped to #16.

I expect a small pick up in sales this week due to the increased media coverage and MJ's birthday this weekend. Lot's of shows/radio stations are holding tributes this weekend for him, plus there will be many parties as well. I imagine this will minimally impact his sales for next weeks numbers.

I bought my niece 14 yrs old in July Off The Wall - Invincible (including Blood On The Dance Floor) So she could have a MJ collection. I remember the music store that day i bought all the albums... ppl was flocking around to grab the CDs

Last edited:
Just curious, how many albums did Elvis have?
How many did the Beatles have?

MJ only had 6 studio albums with Sony and 4 with Motown. Not counting Jacksons / Jackson 5 stuff. So he only had 10 studio albums. I think if you averaged out sales per album, MJ would be well up on Elvis and the Beatles.

As will happen in time with MJ, Elvis has had many posthumous releases. When these happen for MJ with all the unreleased material, just watch his sales skyrocket further!

Also consider that The Beatles (Lennon) and Elvis have been dead a long time now. We can see from MJ's huge increase in sales that this definitely has a baring. MJ has only been dead for 2 months and he is already at comparable sales figures to these. Given time, he will surely fly past them.

Further consider that piracy is big nowadays and many people will just burn a copy from their friend's CD rather than fork out money to buy it!

To me, even if MJ is behind the others, if you pro-rata it for time deceased and number of albums, MJ would slaughter the others.
The Beatles had 13 albums from 1963 to 1970, not including compilations. Elvis had countless albums - regular studio albums, soundtracks from his movies, live albums, gospel albums, compilations and so on. On a sales per album basis MJ is definitely ahead of the Beatles and Elvis. Keep in mind though that if you release a new album every couple of months like Elvis or two per year like the Beatles did that sales per album automatically suffer. If MJ had released a new album every six months or so in the 80's I doubt if any of them would have sold as many as Thriller or Bad. His total of albums sold would have been even higher than it is today, but it would be divided over all those albums.

I will only buy MJ albums and DVD's as presents to friends from now on.

We should keep buying his music as gifts for friends and family.

I updated the sales figures with new global numbers that came in tonight. Jackson sold over 700,000 albums this week around the world. Some important milestones were achieved this week including:

*All figures below are from June 25th to now and are global numbers.
--

-OFF THE WALL HAS NOW SOLD OVER 1 MILLION COPIES

-DANGEROUS HAS NOW SOLD OVER 1 MILLION COPIES

-THRILLER HAS OFFICIALLY PASSED THE 2.5 MILLION MARK IN SALES

-INVINCIBLE HAS PASSED 500,000 IN SALES

-OVER 500,000 JACKSON 5 ALBUMS HAVE BEEN SOLD

-MICHAEL JACKSON HAS NOW SOLD 13 MILLION ALBUMS

Also,

-HISTORY is approaching 500,000 in sales. Should cross this landmark next week or the week after.

-THRILLER will break 3 million by end of September.

-ESSENTIAL will pass the 2 million mark by next week.

Go Michael!

Thanks for always being on top of things smooth_criminal05!

Great news! What about #1s? It's been doing great here in the US. How about in the rest of the world?

Michael selling 13 million albums in two months is phenomenal! I can't wait till it is officially announced that THRILLER has surpassed the Eagles Greatest Hits as all time best selling album in the USA. I can't wait for that day. Stupid journalists have been writing that Thriller has been surpassed by the Eagles in the 1990s, but fail to mention that it's only in the US and not world sales. Thriller's world sales are UNBREAKABLE! :)

ETA: I just checked the OP and Number 1s is right on the heels of the Thriller global sales. I think only a few hundred thousand copies make the difference.

Number Ones has sold over 2.3 million albums globally this summer, about 200,000 behind Thriller. The US has accounted for the majority of those sales for Number Ones as the album has been huge. In fact, Number Ones is now the biggest selling album of the year in the US (It surpassed Taylor Swift's Fearless last week). It has been either #1 or #2 on the album charts for 9 weeks in a row!

Last edited:
US Numbers For Last Week Of August Are Now Included. Some New Interesting Stats:

-Jackson maintained 2 top 10 hits this week, coming in at #2 (Number Ones)%

Last edited:
Last edited:
I agree with buying Michael's music this Christmas. The prices are good and the music is BETTER than the new crap coming out.

Number Ones has sold over 2.3 million albums globally this summer, about 200,000 behind Thriller. The US has accounted for the majority of those sales for Number Ones as the album has been huge. In fact, Number Ones is now the biggest selling album of the year in the US (It surpassed Taylor Swift's Fearless last week). It has been either #1 or #2 on the album charts for 9 weeks in a row!

Thank you smooth_criminal05. That is the news I have been waiting to hear. Nothing against Taylor who is respectable artist in her own right but I want Michael to have the best selling of the year, this year of all years.

Yes he is talking about the double album :).

Are you sure, cuz Ive only seen History the single disk charting, havent seent the double album on the charts.
If you ask me they should just stop printing the History greatest hits disk and put out Disk 2

Are you sure, cuz Ive only seen History the single disk charting, havent seent the double album on the charts.
If you ask me they should just stop printing the History greatest hits disk and put out Disk 2
Agree, we already have other "Greatest Hits" albums. They should release the disc with all the great "new" songs seperately so more people are likely to buy it...

Back