Michael Jackson Album Sales After Death: An In-Depth Look

yeah its sad how the world works at times and i think if michael was alive he would be so shocked and so happy to see how well his records are selling. prior to his death so many people wouldnt even mention his name dare admit they would buy a record of his and now hes dead and the records are all selling. irony!

It makes me so mad that when MJ was alive he got treated like utter crap and when he is dead he is loved more i mean WTF do people not have any respect for people when they are alive or is it only when there dead they get there attention, its sad

Michael Jackson has sold way more than 370 million units as an artist. That is a huge understatement. Sony in it's recent press release even backed up the 750 million units as accurate, and re-iterated Thrillers sales over 100 million. These figures are UNIT sales, not album. When you include actual records, cassettes, CD's, DVD's, VHS, singles, digital downloads, ringtones, and all other forms of music purchase...Michael Jackson has indeed shifted 750 million units since The Jackson 5. This is not unrealistic at all. As for The Beatles and Elvis, while I agree 1 billion is most likely an inflated record label number, from what I have calculated both acts have sold upwards of 500 million units as well, and are within 50 to 150 million units of MJ's sales. Somebody needs to change the Wikipedia facts as they undermine the success of Michael. His success deserves to shown right along The Beatles and Elvis. Period.

I wasn't talking about UNITS with the 370 million figure, I was talking purely about singles and albums sales combined I was not including ringtones and DVD and VHS sales etc. I was strictly talking about singles and album sales. If you count Michael's album and singles sales together he has sold 370 million at least, just like Elvis has sold 300 million and The Beatles have sold 450 million upwards. Now if you take into account ringtones and DVD's and VHS and other forms of music purchase and treat the sales as UNITS then yes all of those three artists figures would be much higher and it would be feasible to say that they all have sold over 500 million UNITS and I wouldn't object to Michael's 750 million figure as UNITS.

The thing is though is that the wikipedia list is supposed to be purely about album and single sales and not UNITS, so that's why I was saying how ludicrous that list is because Elvis and The Beatles have not sold 1 billion albums and singles and a lot of those artists on that list have not sold the amount it says they have either.

Last edited:
I wasn't talking about UNITS with the 370 million figure, I was talking purely about singles and albums sales combined I was not including ringtones and DVD and VHS sales etc. I was strictly talking about singles and album sales. If you count Michael's album and singles sales together he has sold 370 million at least, just like Elvis has sold 300 million and The Beatles have sold 450 million upwards. Now if you take into account ringtones and DVD's and VHS and other forms of music purchase and treat the sales as UNITS then yes all of those three artists figures would be much higher and it would be feasible to say that they all have sold over 500 million UNITS and I wouldn't object to Michael's 750 million figure as UNITS.

The thing is though is that the wikipedia list is supposed to be purely about album and single sales and not UNITS, so that's why I was saying how ludicrous that list is because Elvis and The Beatles have not sold 1 billion albums and singles and a lot of those artists on that list have not sold the amount it says they have either.

I absolutely agree, but..., why the hell wikipedia has its rules that only relevant external links are permitted to support the information?
Where the hell are the Elvis sales numbers? On a fan page?

A few weeks ago I posted one "article", and the journalist wrote that Elvis sold 1.3 billion records...

Its about the point!

If somebody claims that Michael has sold 750 mill. records, so Elvis over a billion, its like a media twisted stupid competition... that Elvis has to be Bigger than Michael, if its obviously clear that he has never been!

but, just try to uprage the wikipedia about Michael sales numbers! You Will see how they fob/fuck you off...., I tried it...

I absolutely agree, but..., why the hell wikipedia has its rules that only relevant external links are permitted to support the information?
Where the hell are the Elvis sales numbers? On a fan page?

A few weeks ago I posted one "article", and the journalist wrote that Elvis sold 1.3 billion records...

Its about the point!

If somebody claims that Michael has sold 750 mill. records, so Elvis over a billion, its like a media twisted stupid competition... that Elvis has to be Bigger than Michael, if its obviously clear that he has never been!

but, just try to uprage the wikipedia about Michael sales numbers! You Will see how they fob/fuck you off...., I tried it...

I completely understand where you are coming from, I do agree it is wrong that Michael's achievements are being underestimated and that some people just tend to look on wikipedia and take everything as fact. This Elvis, Beatles and Michael battle has been going on for years and a lot of outlets have done pretty much everything to try and keep Michael at the bottom and inflate and over-inflate The Beatles and Elvis' sales to try and back-up their 'argument' that they are 'better'. This is what has happened at wikipedia, the people who are editing topics to do with these three acts obviously have an agenda and information is being twisted and manipulated to try and rewrite people's achievements.

*This does not include single sales, digital downloads, dvd's, ringtones, illegally downloaded material, pirated albums, or countries that don't track album sales/refuse to reveal it. Just legally purchased ALBUMS.

If we include all those then the figures are surely going to reach 100 million.I am not joking but thats the truth.

So, if wikipedia insists on official sources to support the ungraded information, on of. web site, there are offcial "numbers", so somybody could add michael on the list of artists selling 500-1 billion records!!!

http://www.michaeljackson.com/us/bio
Five of Jackson's solo albums - "Off the Wall," "Thriller," "Bad," "Dangerous" and "HIStory," all with Epic Records - are among the top-sellers of all time and “Thriller” holds the distinction as the largest selling album worldwide in the history of the recording industry with more than 70 million units sold. Additionally, singles released from the Thriller album sold more than 100 million copies worldwide, another all time record.

During his extraordinary career, he sold an estimated 750 million records worldwide, released 13 No.1 singles and became one of a handful of artists to be inducted twice into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The Guinness Book of World Records recognized Jackson as the Most Successful Entertainer of All Time and "Thriller" as the Biggest Selling Album of All Time. Jackson won 13 Grammy Awards and received the American Music Award's Artist of the Century Award.

in 2007 guiness book of records listed michael jackson thriller has sold 65 million records. the 750 million records sold is just a myth. the top 2 selling artists are beatles and elvis.

in 2007 guiness book of records listed michael jackson thriller has sold 65 million records. the 750 million records sold is just a myth. the top 2 selling artists are beatles and elvis.

Why it is hard to believe! it was mentioned by reliable sources including guiness and he was awarded during the World Music Awards, I think Michael sold more than beetles and elvis, but no one wants a black man to be on top! :mad:

didn't Michael get an award in 2006 which cited that Thriller has sold 104 million copies? if so, then Guinness is a bit behind the times ;)

i dont think its got to do with race about elvis and beatles. theyve just been around more. if you ask most people who sold more elvis and beatles are always mentioned. beatles are credited as having sold 1 billion records. but mj fans say oh crap michael sold more. ive never understood peoples fascination with trying to make people bigger than they were. to be included among the top sellers in history is an honor period. and people will argue and disagree and thats fine. guiness books of records (which most agree is credible) said thriller sold 65 million records as of 2006. its probably around the 70 million mark now.

no, I distinctly remember him getting an award on stage where the person giving him the award said it was because Thriller had sold 104 million copies. and this was in 2006. so that 65-70 whatever million number is WRONG.

give me some time and I'll find that link.

Thriller if you include Thriller 25 has sold between 70-75 million. The top 2 selling artists are The Beatles and Michael Jackson. Like I said before the 750 million figure seemed to be referring to UNITS rather than purely just sales and that same thing applies to The Beatles and Elvis because no way on earth have they sold 1 billion because their albums and singles sales don't even add to anywhere near that. The Beatles are the biggest selling artists of all time while Michael is the biggest selling solo artist of all time.

The sales figures for the "big three": Elvis, Beatles, MJ, are ALL inaccurrate. Elvis did 150 million copies, the Beatles did about 400 mill and MJ around 350 mill (most of his Epic stuff and adding in compilations from the Motown/Epic years). I'm sure he's closing in on the Beatles though. Sony Music said "Thriller" did 70 million copies alone worldwide as an album and the singles pulled in 30 additional million units (their words).

Thriller if you include Thriller 25 has sold between 70-75 million. The top 2 selling artists are The Beatles and Michael Jackson. Like I said before the 750 million figure seemed to be referring to UNITS rather than purely just sales and that same thing applies to The Beatles and Elvis because no way on earth have they sold 1 billion because their albums and singles sales don't even add to anywhere near that. The Beatles are the biggest selling artists of all time while Michael is the biggest selling solo artist of all time.

Units is way different than copies. It can be possible he did 750 million if it was for gross of everything he did post-Motown (since he only sold probably 10 million units worldwide solo-wise during his Motown tenure).

Why don’t we add up Michael’s sales when he was with the Jackson 5/Jacksons?

It is amazing how Michael “on his own” can do that, but still I think he should get credit for the Jacksons sales records.

The same myth is that Elvis has sold more records/albums than Michael! :doh:

Elvis records sales is mostly estimated, Michaels most accurate....

Its very simple but also complex to understand...., why Evis has not sold more than 500 mil. records (the Beatles maybe), absolutely not a billion...

no, I distinctly remember him getting an award on stage where the person giving him the award said it was because Thriller had sold 104 million copies. and this was in 2006. so that 65-70 whatever million number is WRONG.

give me some time and I'll find that link.

Michael's people submitted this information to the Guiness Book of records but they never supplied any information to verify it. In fact, the guiness book of records says this in the issue that came out after the WMAs, which effectively distanced themselves from this claim - nobody has proben to them that 104million is correct.

No chart experts believe Thriller has sold 104million albums because there are NO statistics to back it up. Most experts seem to agree that Thriller has sold somwhere between 60 and 70million copies, so Sony's most recent figure of 70million sounds most reasonable.

i agree 100%. i think its around the 70 million mark

Michael's people submitted this information to the Guiness Book of records but they never supplied any information to verify it. In fact, the guiness book of records says this in the issue that came out after the WMAs, which effectively distanced themselves from this claim - nobody has proben to them that 104million is correct.

No chart experts believe Thriller has sold 104million albums because there are NO statistics to back it up. Most experts seem to agree that Thriller has sold somwhere between 60 and 70million copies, so Sony's most recent figure of 70million sounds most reasonable.

I would like to urge you guys to take the highest known figure as reference not the lowest. If those figures were announced on major award shows such as “The World Music Awards” then we must consider their calculations for reference, in Michael’s case I rather take the highest figure for reference and wont contest or try to prove it wrong because we know how large his fan base, the number of people attended his tours, etc… You know that Michael spent a lot of time focusing on markets outside the USA, so he had a lot of exposure internationally and he is well known in so many places in the world where people probably never heard of Elivs or the Beetles (with all due respect). I think Michael achieved even more but there are conspiracy theories and he obviously had enemies and for some reasons they wanted him to go down! I actually think that the 750 mil figure could be lower than what Michael could’ve achieved if it wasn’t for the allegations, he could’ve had more than one bestselling album of all times, he should’ve won more awards, radio and TV stations should have played more of his music, subsequently he should’ve sold more records if everything went without allegations or trouble since 1993. It is actually impressive that he survived because this could’ve cost someone an entire career. Anyway I just want to say that I will always follow the 2006 figures announced on the World Music Awards unless it was corrected by them.

But the World Music Awards are not the authority on sales. This was either from MJ's camp or Guinness. The WMAs were just messengers to what they heard.

But the World Music Awards are not the authority on sales. This was either from MJ's camp or Guinness. The WMAs were just messengers to what they heard.

No one knows that for sure. What we know that it was “officially” announced on a reputable awards show and backed up by Guinness World Records. That’s enough for me, and most probably enough for all of us MJ fans to support MJ. Even if they were wrong, they must be declared wrong not by referring to Wiki-fake-pedia or probably award shows held in US. I bet no one can even prove that beeltles and evils sales are wrong or right.

Elvis was during his lifetime never as big as MJ was. Elvis was huge but never caused madness like Thriller did. Elvis' career was short compared to MJ's. I really think that Elvis sold millions and millions after his death, thru all those shopping channel ads.

Back