Katherine Jackson to Produce MJ Movies

Moulin Rouge

Proud Member
0630-katherine-jackson-movie-ex-getty-credit.jpg

20 minutes ago by TMZ Staff

TMZ has learned ... Katherine Jackson is knee-deep in a business deal to produce and distribute several movies on Michael Jackson's life, and she is on a collision course with the MJ estate.

Howard Mann, the guy who co-authored Katherine's coffee table book, "Never Can Say Goodbye," is also producing a movie that will feature video from Michael Jackson's childhood through the end of his life.

We're told Katherine has hundreds of hours of video, including the family's big move from Gary, Indiana to L.A. after The Jackson 5 signed with Motown.

We're told Mann just bought the rights to 26 hours of Michael Jackson video ... owned by Michael Jackson's former business partner/confidant Marc Schaffel. We're told Mann has paid Schaffel in the eight figures for the video.

Now here's the problem ... the Michael Jackson estate has the exclusive right to market Michael Jackson's name and image. We're told Mann and company are comfortable with their legal position, because the beneficiaries of the estate -- Katherine and Michael's kids -- are profiting participants in the movie. In fact, Mann tells TMZ he and Katherine plan on releasing a series of movies.

The estate would not comment.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/06/30/micha...-katherine-jackson-estate-copyright/#c3321622

I don't know about this...:unsure:

Doesn't Howard Mann have a shady past? I can't remember right now exactly what; but I know I heard it mentioned. These proposed movies sound more like documentaries if they are going to include home movies.​

they can't market MJ's image without estate's approval.

They dont care. They didnt care with the tribute and it still went ahead. Katherine has lawyers who are instructing her on what to do. You'd think the lawyers would know about the whole MJ image thing. After all I know and I deffo aint no lawyer!

they can't market MJ's image without estate's approval.

They may not be able to use some of his music, but unauthorized movies are as possible as all the unauthorized books out there.

My perspective on Katherine is changing a little, and I HATE IT!! I had somewhat of a halo on her. It's rusting.

this is not going to end well...maybe the material she has is very good,but with those ppl around it's never gonna be classy....now I don't want to pass for self righteous towards adult entertainment or what ever activity they are involved in,I couldn't care less,BUT having MJ associated with the same ppl he distanced himself from when he was alive seems like a smack in his face....and coming from his own mum makes me sick....
His name has been tarnished enough,time to protect him ffs

This won't happen. This guy may want to do a movie but the estate will not have it.

I hope the estate stops this mess. I want an MJ movie, but I want a legal one. (or more than one)

How can we be sure the children are participants? How can we be sure the money will go to the proper place?

Hence why it won't happen this guy wants to do a movie just like he wants to produce music but no I am sure it will not happen

They may not be able to use some of his music, but unauthorized movies are as possible as all the unauthorized books out there.

My perspective on Katherine is changing a little, and I HATE IT!! I had somewhat of a halo on her. It's rusting.

This^^^^

I don't understand Katherine. She should work with the estate not with some jerks who only want to use Michael to make money.

I don't believe anything the media puts out. Until momma Kat come out and say she is going to produce a movie, then I will believe it. From now own, I want to hear it come from the horses mouth, instead of the media.

I don't believe anything the media puts out. Until momma Kat come out and say she is going to produce a movie, then I will believe it. From now own, I want to hear it come from the horses mouth, instead of the media.

well she already published a book with the same ppl...and it was announced by the same media outlet...

The last thing I care is Branca and estate and ppl who control Branca. Kids never will have control over estate anyways cos "right" ppl will have control over it. This was the whole point to make Michael leave this world.
MJ will from 2002 is a very old will. Where is another one, God knows... .
Whatever Katherine does, she does it right. All my support for her.

I just don't understand why the Jackson family can't make money using Michael's name, but tons of other people can. Ian H. published a book and released a documentary, Shmuley published a book, etc. But, if the Jacksons want to make a book or movie using their own photos and video, TMZ implies that it isn't legal. Does anyone understand this?

Anyway, I think Joe is behind the scenes on these deals. Or maybe this Howard Mann guy is just really sleazy. He bought some of the Jackon's stuff from an abandoned warehouse, right? Maybe he has something that they want back, and this is how they're going to earn it.

It doesn't really make any sense for Katherine to be working with this guy. I'm sure that many large, reputable publishing houses would love to have worked with her on the book and distributed it all over the place. Instead, it gets published by an unknown guy and distributed on one website.

I just don't understand why the Jackson family can't make money using Michael's name, but tons of other people can. Ian H. published a book and released a documentary, Shmuley published a book, etc. But, if the Jacksons want to make a book or movie using their own photos and video, TMZ implies that it isn't legal. Does anyone understand this?

Anyway, I think Joe is behind the scenes on these deals. Or maybe this Howard Mann guy is just really sleazy. He bought some of the Jackon's stuff from an abandoned warehouse, right? Maybe he has something that they want back, and this is how they're going to earn it.

It doesn't really make any sense for Katherine to be working with this guy. I'm sure that many large, reputable publishing houses would love to have worked with her on the book and distributed it all over the place. Instead, it gets published by an unknown guy and distributed on one website.

Good points right here. The answer is: the Hollywood mafia conspirasy including the media . They get highly hystyerical when they cannot control anything. Money, greed and power .... .
There is a big fight going on between Katherine Jackson and estate as I see it...
Katherine should not give a damn what Branca says. Kids stay with Katherine, not with Branca.

I agree. It sounds like near-blackmail to me. Of course I would LOVE to see more home-movie documentaries, but I want it to be done right. Just like with the unreleased songs, they're sitting on gold with this stuff (and I don't mean money). I don't want them to screw up this opportunity to show the public Michael just being the sweet, funny, beautiful boy we all know. Just the prospect of a dynamite doc on him and his life almost makes me wet my pants from excitement! =P However, with the way it sounds, I'm so afraid that it's going to end up being some low-budget, unauthorized video that only fans will hear about or see. I don't want a rush job because someone's trying to make a fast buck. This needs to be top-notch presentation. I really think an amazing documentary could really really help turn things around. Once people see him and get to know him, their perception will shift. I hope they realize how important this project could be (if done well) to his legacy.

I agree. It sounds like near-blackmail to me. Of course I would LOVE to see more home-movie documentaries, but I want it to be done right. Just like with the unreleased songs, they're sitting on gold with this stuff (and I don't mean money). I don't want them to screw up this opportunity to show the public Michael just being the sweet, funny, beautiful boy we all know. Just the prospect of a dynamite doc on him and his life almost makes me wet my pants from excitement! =P However, with the way it sounds, I'm so afraid that it's going to end up being some low-budget, unauthorized video that only fans will hear about or see. I don't want a rush job because someone's trying to make a fast buck. This needs to be top-notch presentation. I really think an amazing documentary could really really help turn things around. Once people see him and get to know him, their perception will shift. I hope they realize how important this project could be (if done well) to his legacy.

I agree,but this is exactly what it's not going to happen with the folks kate or joe have started to make deals with.....if anything they should ask the estate to buy this stuff and produce something fine with it.....but the owners of course don't want to share any profit...and i'm afraid that no one will really benefit from this and everything will turn just like you described:a low-budget badly promoted mess..

I do want to see a MJ Movie and I'd love to see some more RARE footage.. But I don't want it to be against the estate and "unofficial" I don't think Katherine is changing she's a sweet woman who sounds like she gets talked into a lot of things really easily! She may have a hard time saying "NO"

Exactly.

if ppl around katheirne cared they would be stepping in on this. shes obviously being used and has no clue about those shes getting invovled with. (i hope she wouldnt be doing this knowing schaffel etcs history). they are dancing on mj by getting to his mother. shame other siblings dont seem to care. then again they will be getting some of the $ she makes

Ivy has explained this before in the thread about Mrs Jackson's estate:

Books (also tribute magazines, articles etc as well as documentaries) do not need approval from estate , they are okay under the freedom of speech (and falls under the informational category).

they just need to get okay from the photographers to use the photographs in the book. If the family are the ones that took the photos then they have the rights to them as well.

It really depends what they are using and how it is used.

TMZ likes to make broad brush statements. It is a little more complicated, I think.

Hey guys, I know we have strong feeling about this topic, but can we please keep all of the cospiracy talk relegated to the Conspiracy section? Please? :flowers:

Let's try to stay on topic here. Also thank you to everyone for stating your opinions in a respectful manner.

shes obviously being used and has no clue about those shes getting invovled with. (i hope she wouldnt be doing this knowing schaffel etcs history). they are dancing on mj by getting to his mother. shame other siblings dont seem to care. then again they will be getting some of the $ she makes

Katherine could easily say no. I know it's easy to say she's the victim in every thing, how she's being "taken advantage of" ,yet, she doesn't stop it. She continues to be involved in these things without any real resistance from her. She's not an idiot, she can make her own decisions. This is only an assumption that she knows nothing about the people she's working with. I'm pretty sure she has an idea of their history..

Perhaps Katherine, like Joe, is interested in making money as well?

I think Ivy has already explained this.

Books about Michael can be published without the permission of the estate.

So Mrs Jackson does not need the permission of the estate to publish "Never can say goodbye".

She cannot however sell products bearing Michael's image such as the belts without the approval of the estate.

Schaffel produced a documentary using footage of Michael from his own private archive however the estate was not too happy when the film was promoted as having their endorsement.

I think it just depends what is it she wants to sell/promote.

Back