YOUR OPINION: Gay Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnC

Proud Member
Ok, Im not interested in getting married right now, but I'd like to have that option. In most parts of the world Gay Marriage isn't allowed. Why?

Can anyone give me a logical reason (not relating to religious belifes) why gay people shouldn't be allowed to get married? Whats you opinion?

NO HOMOPHOBIC CONTENT ALLOWED

EDIT: No more posts please.

I said the rules of the thread. People ignored them. Thats enough.

Last edited:
Here in the USA it's a big divisive issue, but I'm strongly pro-gay marriage. I am a woman married to a man, and the benefits and sense of security it has given me is priceless, and I can't believe that is denied to some couples. I see it as an equality/civil rights issue, and a homosexual couple getting married does not undermine my heterosexual marriage in any way whatsoever. I feel terrible for my friends and neighbors who are not able to marry a consenting adult of their choice.

I think that people who are against gay marriage almost always have an underlying issue with homosexuality and think it is "sanctioning" homosexual activity. I actually think that many homophobic people are desperately afraid their children will "turn out gay" if society gives equal rights to gays.

I hope someday my country will follow in the steps of many European countries who have legalized gay marriage. :yes: All for love! :heart:

Ok, Im not interested in getting married right now, but I'd like to have that option. In most parts of the world Gay Marriage isn't allowed. Why?

Can anyone give me a logical reason (not relating to religious belifes) why gay people shouldn't be allowed to get married? Whats you opinion?

NO HOMOPHOBIC CONTENT ALLOWED

No, can't give you one because there IS no reason. It's as simple as that. :yes:
I can't come up with a single logical reason why you shouldn't, they are all excuses for thinly veiled homophobia.

Why do you ask for an opinion about gay marriage and do not expect a religious answer. Marriage is a religious thing it was insituted by god for a man and woman only. Genesis 2:18, 21 - 24.

Sadly the main reason is due to religion. In the UK, which is a fairly liberal country, gay marraige is not allowed. We have civil partnerships, but not marraige for gay people. Personally I cannot think of a single reason why gay marraige should not be allowed, love is love. I understand what it says in the bible but the bible says a lot of things not suitable for today's society.

People please don't start to insult. He was asking a question politely & with no homophobic posts, please respect.
I believe that everyone should do what they feel is the best for them, as long as they don't hurt others. :flowers:

Sadly the main reason is due to religion. In the UK, which is a fairly liberal country, gay marraige is not allowed. We have civil partnerships, but not marraige for gay people. Personally I cannot think of a single reason why gay marraige should not be allowed, love is love. I understand what it says in the bible but the bible says a lot of things not suitable for today's society.

No kidding...it's also fairly easy to hide behind religion and say, sorry, but you know religion says...

This has been wending its way around the net for about a week now and is sure to become a classic. Nobody is sure where it started, but I suspect by the time it is finished everybody will have several copies of their very own.

Dear Dr. Laura,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's law. I have learned a great deal from you, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them.

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. How should I deal with this?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as it suggests in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may buy slaves from the nations that are around us. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans but not Canadians. Can you clarify?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 10:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 20:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear prescription glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Last edited:
People please don't start to insult. He was asking a question politely & with no homophobic posts, please respect.
I believe that everyone should do what they feel is the best for them, as long as they don't hurt others. :flowers:

This. Please be mindful with posting. :flowers:

It's my opinion that homosexual people should have the same rights as heterosexuals. In my country, the Netherlands, this is the case and I'm happy for them. I hope for you that the laws will change in Australia so you can marry the love of your life, JohnC, when you want to and feel the time is right. It is more important to love our neighbors as ourselves and spread love than to be judgmental about others.( the saying about a splinter in an eye comes to mind).

No kidding...it's also fairly easy to hide behind religion and say, sorry, but you know religion says...

All these the person quote we are not under requirement to do that was for the person under the Mosiac law. When christ came the law ended that is why we do not sacrifice a bull anymore when we sin christ death covers that.

Thankyou all. Im enjoying your responses. But as I said 'no religious reasons'.

My main issue with this is that two men or two women loving each other has no affect on no one in world.
So why are there groups like 'No Gays No' or 'God Hates Fags'? Why do people make it their buisness to say 'you can love this type person, but not that one'. It really baffles me... Hopefully one day the whole world will learn acceptance. Despite religion, race or sexual orientation.

All these the person quote we are not under requirement to do that was for the person under the Mosiac law. When christ came the law ended that is why we do not sacrifice a bull anymore when we sin christ death covers that.

Really? I wasn't sure if I should follow Jewish Custom or Christian...
Just in case it needs to be spelled out, the person who wrote that didn't quite mean that seriously. Apparently that fact needs to be highlighted. :D

P.S.: I'm still Catholic, yet I wasn't required to give up humor upon Baptism. :dancin:
Next time someone attempts a reading from the Old Testament, I'll just kindly let 'em know to sit down...And then it gets even more confusing with all that Mosaic Law in the New Testament....geez, Jesus, nice mess!

And that is probably exactly why the thread opener didn't want people to hide behind religious explanations which really don't explain anything, just the political climate of a particular time.

Last edited:
Wow, That didn't take long. The definition of marriage has evolved greatly over the years. It wasn't always what you would call a holy sacrament, marriage used to be considered a property arrangement before it became what it is today. Or remember the time when polygamy used to be socially acceptable? But then again it was an act between a man and a woman (or should I say women) - the way god intended.
Sure let's pay two complete strangers to marry each other live on television...now that's what I call the sanctity of marriage.
Why people think two men or to women saying 'I do' would affect them is beyond me -The way I see it is if you're so protective of marriage - go and kiss your wife/husband goodnight, take care of your own life. Some are so willing to win this fight that they are ready to come up with most ridiculous arguments when in fact they don't actually remember why they're against it to begin with.

The fact that we still need to have those debates is a travesty that's all I'm going to say.

To end on a positive note - I do remember Michael Steele saying that gay marriage would be bad for small business so there you go. lol

Last edited:
I know you said nothing about religions but, just wanted to let you know about my thoughts.

I am half cast (my dad is Muslim & my mum a catholic) and I would say I am more a Muslim, than a Catholic. Now muslims condemn being gay, which is one thing I disagree with, I know gay people are born that way and we shouldn't try and make them something they are not. I have no problem with gay marriages, if two men or women are in love why not be able to cement that through the bonds of marriage...

What is so great about being married?
I think countries that do not provide gay marriage did all gay people a favour :p .

I seriously think that kind of marriage should be possible, legal... Though i think they should not then gain the right to adopt a baby...

I'm a Gay Person myself and I can't understand why people seem to be so upset I mean its not as if were all rapists or Satans Spawn I mean we wern't born with 666 on our heads lol!, Prejudice is ignorance, be smart and accept others as they are no questions asked thats what i say!

I'm a Gay Person myself and I can't understand why people seem to be so upset I mean its not as if were all rapists or Satans Spawn I mean we wern't born with 666 on our heads lol!, Prejudice is ignorance, be smart and accept others as they are no questions asked thats what i say!

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

:clapping::clapping:

I seriously think that kind of marriage should be possible, legal... Though i think they should not then gain the right to adopt a baby...

:bugeyed:bugeyed

Like gay people can't be good parents...
I know gay people who are married and have children and are very good with their children, It's not that they come from another planet and don't know how to raise a child...

Our Creator established rules governing marriage long before governments began regulating the institution. The opening book of the Bible tells us: “A man will leave his father and his mother and he must stick to his wife and they must become one flesh.” (Genesis 2:24) The Hebrew word “wife,” according to Vine’s Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words, “connotes one who is a female human being.” Jesus confirmed that those yoked together in marriage should be “male and female.”—Matthew 19:4.

Thus, God intended marriage to be a permanent and an intimate bond between a man and a woman. Men and women are designed to complement each other so they may be capable of satisfying each other’s emotional, spiritual, and sexual needs and desires.

The well-known Biblical account of Sodom and Gomorrah reveals God’s feelings about homosexuality. God declared: “The cry of complaint about Sodom and Gomorrah, yes, it is loud, and their sin, yes, it is very heavy.” (Genesis 18:20) The extent of their sinful depravity at that time was apparent when two guests visited the righteous man Lot. “The men of Sodom . . . surrounded the house, from boy to old man, all the people in one mob. And they kept calling out to Lot and saying to him: ‘Where are the men who came in to you tonight? Bring them out to us that we may have intercourse with them.’” (Genesis 19:4, 5) The Bible says: “The men of Sodom were bad and were gross sinners against Jehovah.”—Genesis 13:13.

The men became “violently inflamed in their lust toward one another, males with males.” (Romans 1:27) They had “gone out after flesh for unnatural use.” (Jude 7) In countries where homosexual rights campaigns are pervasive, some may object to using the word “unnatural” to describe homosexual behavior. However, is not God the final arbiter when it comes to nature? He commanded his ancient people: “You must not lie down with a male the same as you lie down with a woman. It is a detestable thing.”— Leviticus 18:22

The Bible is clear: God does not approve of or condone homosexual practices. He also disapproves of people who “consent with those practicing them.” (Romans 1:32) And “marriage” cannot give homosexuality a cloak of respectability. God’s direction that “marriage be honorable among all” precludes homosexual unions, which he considers detestable.—Hebrews 13:4.

Still, with God’s help, anyone can learn to “abstain from fornication,” which includes homosexual acts, and “get possession of his own vessel in sanctification and honor.”(1 Thessalonians 4:3, 4) Admittedly, this is not always easy. Nathan#, who formerly pursued a homosexual life-style, said: “I thought I could never stop.” But he did change with help from “the spirit of our God.”(1 Corinthians 6:11) As Nathan discovered, no problem is too big for Jehovah, who can provide the strength and help needed to meet His standards and receive His blessings.—Psalm 46:1.

Not because we were have wrong desire does it mean we have to carry it out. We can practice self control, just like you may try to control yourself from having sex with another mans wife or vice versa.

Is there something about 'no religious posts' that you don't understand?

And I think that there is more 'unnatural' stuff in the bible, than in my relationship.
I'd say that a man rising from the dead like a zombie is more unnatural than two blokes 'going at it'.

With all due respect, he asked about opinions, not quotes from the bible...

whoops you guys beat me to it, but it still applies...

:bugeyed:bugeyed

Like gay people can't be good parents...
I know gay people who are married and have children and are very good with their children, It's not that they come from another planet and don't know how to raise a child...

Ehh...that's not the reason. We live in homophobic world, that's why they shouldn't have children. Just try to imagine how kids from gay marriage would be treated in that kind of environment...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back