You are no alone-the worst plagiat ever

I'm unsure what Michael would think...my guess is that he was aware of the lawsuit.

I doubt R. Kelly was like 'Hey Mike, I stole parts of this song! Wanna work with me again?' He probably denied it to the fullest. Mike probably never heard the song posted b/f R. Kelly gave him YANA (but mabye during the lawsuit he did).

Shocking :( I wonder what Michael would have thought if he knew. Shame on you R. Kelly!

i doubt kelly stole it. most of his songs sound the same so he stole all of his songs?

You can almost sing You Are Not Alone to I Believe I Can Fly! Almost

alot his songs are like that espeically from the mid 90's era

fakeeeeeeer
go pee on a underage girl, r. kelly

apparently mj helped with the composition of the song? what does that exactly mean...

in aphroditite jones - conspiracy book - there is a excerpt of martin bashir asking mj about 'you are not alone' being a great song...and mj goes he cant take credit - r kelly wrote it but i helped with the compsition...etc

dont remember whats exactly written

Stuff like this happens all the time. Maybe, just maybe both were inspired by the song and indeed got the inspiration from there.

But of course lets say Michael didn't know anything about it and put all blame on R.Kelly.:smilerolleyes:

You can almost sing You Are Not Alone to I Believe I Can Fly! Almost

Dude, are you OK? :)
yana and IBICF were written by the same artist in the same period. Of course they have much in common, but saying that they have similar melody is absurd.

alot his songs are like that espeically from the mid 90's era

Yes, a lot of songs are in written in that style.
This song is however one of the most obvious plagiats ever.

Stuff like this happens all the time. Maybe, just maybe both were inspired by the song and indeed got the inspiration from there.
But of course lets say Michael didn't know anything about it and put all blame on R.Kelly.:smilerolleyes:

It doesn't. It's impossible to wrote almost excatly the same song as someone else. BTW, You are not alone is officialy plagiat and it is banned in Belgium.

I wonder if that drum arrangement in the YouTube video is from the original song also?
I mean, I can imagine Kelly making a similar melody, but if it's the melody and that drum arrangement then it's too obvious to be a coincidence.

All I know is that Michael got a hit record that is 100 times better than the "original" and the "van passel brothers" can ride this train for a while. They're not shy with promoting that it's "their" song:
http://www.myspace.com/vanpasselbrothers

EDIT: you can stream Diana Ross' cover of YANA in their myspace player.

Dude, are you OK? :)
yana and IBICF were written by the same artist in the same period. Of course they have much in common, but saying that they have similar melody is absurd.

Yes, a lot of songs are in written in that style.
This song is however one of the most obvious plagiats ever.

It doesn't. It's impossible to wrote almost excatly the same song as someone else. BTW, You are not alone is officialy plagiat and it is banned in Belgium.

it is not impossible at all, this is a common myth that many believe, but its perfectly possible to come up with the exact same melody as someone else, there are millions and millions of melodys out there, im sorry, but there are only so many combinations those 13 notes and the rhythms can make that sounds good, melodically speaking, of course yes, this could be plagiat, and may well be, but im saying its not impossible that this could have pure chance, especially as the melody is incredibly simple and a natural progression of notes for the brain to come up with anyway, i have studied composition heavily

it is not impossible at all, this is a common myth that many believe, but its perfectly possible to come up with the exact same melody as someone else, there are millions and millions of melodys out there, im sorry, but there are only so many combinations those 13 notes and the rhythms can make that sounds good, melodically speaking, of course yes, this could be plagiat, and may well be, but im saying its not impossible that this could have pure chance, especially as the melody is incredibly simple and a natural progression of notes for the brain to come up with anyway, i have studied composition heavily

You are making a perfect sense. My musical education is very limited. As an average late intermediate pianist i do know only some basic things.
Yes, there are only 13 notes, but the combinations are without limits.
I'm sure you are familiar with Beethoven's pathetique sonata, 1st mvt.
It opens with 2 simples chords. There are a hundrends of different chords available, and if we go into atonal music, there are no limits. Of course we can't say that someone is copying beethoven because he opens his piece with 2 chords. But if those 2 chords would be exactly the same as those in that sonata mvt, we could argue a lot.
As you said, YANA is very simple song, like most of stuff that r. pedophile wrote. But those 2 songs (first is actually a piece) are so incredibly similar, that the chances that YANA is plagiat are very high. We will never know the truth though... :)
But you are right when you are trying to say that most of the plagiats are simple songs. I have never heard that someone would plagiarise Pink Floyds or Beatles... :)
Again... Some "plagiat cases" are absurd... I read once that one band sued another band because they closed their song with the same scale. It was stupid of course, because scale is a scale and there is nothing new to invent when playing scale. But there are always suspicious cases like the one I posted when similarity is incredible.

You are making a perfect sense. My musical education is very limited. As an average late intermediate pianist i do know only some basic things.
Yes, there are only 13 notes, but the combinations are without limits.
I'm sure you are familiar with Beethoven's pathetique sonata, 1st mvt.
It opens with 2 simples chords. There are a hundrends of different chords available, and if we go into atonal music, there are no limits. Of course we can't say that someone is copying beethoven because he opens his piece with 2 chords. But if those 2 chords would be exactly the same as those in that sonata mvt, we could argue a lot.
As you said, YANA is very simple song, like most of stuff that r. pedophile wrote. But those 2 songs (first is actually a piece) are so incredibly similar, that the chances that YANA is plagiat are very high. We will never know the truth though... :)
But you are right when you are trying to say that most of the plagiats are simple songs. I have never heard that someone would plagiarise Pink Floyds or Beatles... :)
Again... Some "plagiat cases" are absurd... I read once that one band sued another band because they closed their song with the same scale. It was stupid of course, because scale is a scale and there is nothing new to invent when playing scale. But there are always suspicious cases like the one I posted when similarity is incredible.

yes, i agree, its unlikely you will find something by chance that sounds like say beethoven ect. but in pop melody terms there is always a chance, you are not alone, was just a melody waiting to be discovered, but yes, it could easily have been plagerized.

Um, even if it DID feature samples from an old demo, it was nothing without Michael's voice and special touch. So yeah, it's a MICHAEL JACKSON song no matter what people try and say.

Um, even if it DID feature samples from an old demo, it was nothing without Michael's voice and special touch. So yeah, it's a MICHAEL JACKSON song no matter what people try and say.

This has nothing to do with the fact that song was stolen or not.

This has nothing to do with the fact that song was stolen or not.

Yes it does. The SONG belongs to Michael. The MELODY may have been "stolen" but the song as we know it is Michael's and Michael's alone. Sorry.

Yes it does. The SONG belongs to Michael. The MELODY may have been "stolen" but the song as we know it is Michael's and Michael's alone. Sorry.

Lol there is no logic in your thinking. If this song was truly stolen (which we will never know), it doesn't belong to MJ or R. Kelly.

So if I broke into your house and steal some things, i can say that your house is more beautiful now and everything will be alright, haha... That's your "logic".:doh::clapping:

It is the most obvious plagiat I ever heard... What i wonder is if MJ ever found out that R.Kelly was stealing music?

For newer fans that don't know what i'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PrJ7jf8cbI
R.Kelly should just have added his name as lyricist to those of the Belgian composers after asking for their permission and I'm sure there wouldn't have been a problem.

Lol there is no logic in your thinking. If this song was truly stolen (which we will never know), it doesn't belong to MJ or R. Kelly.

So if I broke into your house and steal some things, i can say that your house is more beautiful now and everything will be alright, haha... That's your "logic".:doh::clapping:

Um, no, because breaking into someone's house and borrowing someone's melody are two totally different things. If you break into my house and steal something, then I no longer have that 'thing'. When you borrow bits and pieces of a song, you still have that original song. Someone has only chosen to interpret it differently. Totally different :rolleyes2: Second of all, why are you speaking to me in such a harsh tone? Geez, relax! We're just having a discussion.

Um, no, because breaking into someone's house and borrowing someone's melody are two totally different things. If you break into my house and steal something, then I no longer have that 'thing'. When you borrow bits and pieces of a song, you still have that original song. Someone has only chosen to interpret it differently. Totally different :rolleyes2: Second of all, why are you speaking to me in such a harsh tone? Geez, relax! We're just having a discussion.

They may be quite different, I agree, but still-both are considered as a stealing.

If you think that stealing a song is no big deal, then you're wrong. And let's not forget something - there is nothing wrong with sampling a song, but in that case you have to state who wrote that song beside you. In our case, only R. Kelly has credits for song.

If I would be a singer and someone would steal my song, it would be a big deal to me.

Yes, I may be speaking in harsh tone, but it's because i have been shocked by your answer. Sorry.

Well don't be shocked.

It's not Michael's problem that the song was 'stolen'. Michael still made the song what it is without knowing its background. And no one would know of the song without MJ's influence. So to me, it's still considered a Michael Jackson song. Only the melody isnt original.

They may be quite different, I agree, but still-both are considered as a stealing.

If you think that stealing a song is no big deal, then you're wrong. And let's not forget something - there is nothing wrong with sampling a song, but in that case you have to state who wrote that song beside you. In our case, only R. Kelly has credits for song.

If I would be a singer and someone would steal my song, it would be a big deal to me.

Yes, I may be speaking in harsh tone, but it's because i have been shocked by your answer. Sorry.
Michael took the chant on "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' " from Manu DiBango's "Soul Moukassa", and was sued about it and lost. But Manu's name has never been added to the songwriting credits to this day. Manu sued again when Rhianna used "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' " on her song "Don't Stop The Music". Since Mike never added Manu to the credits, Rhianna or whoever wrote "Don't Stop The Music" had no idea about the earlier case.

Michael took the chant on "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' " from Manu DiBango's "Soul Moukassa", and was sued about it and lost. But Manu's name has never been added to the songwriting credits to this day. Manu sued again when Rhianna used "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' " on her song "Don't Stop The Music". Since Mike never added Manu to the credits, Rhianna or whoever wrote "Don't Stop The Music" had no idea about the earlier case.

Rihanna sampled MJ's song, so she gave credits to him, which is logical.
I don't beleive that WBSS is plagiat. Those 2 songs are not similar except for a part of lyrics spoken in foreign language.

But now listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvBhHwp84Xk&feature=fvw

Coincidence? I'm quite sure... But for YANA i'm pretty sure it isn't.

Back