Will the Bad Wembley concert surpass the popularity of Dangerous in Bucharest?

rsggamer123

Proud Member
Just about everyone and their mum has seen the Dangerous Bucharest concert or atleast clips of it, but with the release of Bad tour Wembley do you think in time this will overtake Bucharest as the 'most watched' and popular/famous MJ concert? Obviously the picture quality won't be as good as Bucharest so im hoping this won't put people off from watching or enjoying it but still I think this has a good chance of surpassing Bucharest in terms of popularity. What do you think??

It has a great chance, as I've stated before I don't mind if the quality isn't as good as Dangerous Bucharest or any other already released concert, I've been waiting for it as a lot of people have, so yes I think it holds a good chance at surpassing Dangerous IMO.

Well, the venue is a much well known one and the Bad Tour showcases Michael Jackson during, what many consider, his peak as a live performer. It will be an officially licensed product which means they have the rights to use clips of the concert in promos and video packages along with Bucharest '92 and Munich '97.

Sales wise, I'm not sure it will outsell Bucharest but popularity wise, it has a big chance of surpassing Bucharest.

No!
Bucharest and Munich are so popolar because were broadcasted around the world and that for many years. Even if we dont know the final quality of wembley, i dont think it going to be shown on tv, at least not in that extend like the other two in the begining. Very unlikely to be shown at all. And salles wont make it popular, just like bucharest dvd didnt add much popularity, cause it reached already legendary status years before the dvd, just like munich 97.
For the fans this dvd release means alot,cause we were begging for it almost 10 years. For the casual custumer its just a concert.

No!
Bucharest and Munich are so popolar because were broadcasted around the world and that for many years. Even if we dont know the final quality of wembley, i dont think it going to be shown on tv, at least not in that extend like the other two in the begining. Very unlikely to be shown at all. And salles wont make it popular, just like bucharest dvd didnt add much popularity, cause it reached already legendary status years before the dvd, just like munich 97.
For the fans this dvd release means alot,cause we were begging for it almost 10 years. For the casual custumer its just a concert.

Of course the hardcore MJ fans will be happy to buy the Wembley concert but the causal buyers will be put off by the low video quality. I don't think the Wembley concert can surpass the Dangerous concert DVD sales in its current form. If they find a film reel and release it in higher quality then maybe it could, but Dangerous was massively boosted by MJ's death 3 years ago and that already gives it a massive sales advantage over BAD.
Also, the promo so far has sucked IMO. The BAD25/pepsi promo was almost invisible in the US, has not been much better in other countries, and is not happening at all in the UK. It seems the Spike Lee documentary might be the best promo this concert is gonna get, but it's being shown very late in the USA, well after BAD25 and the wembley concert will have disappeared from the charts. German TV is showing it in October, which is better. No air date for the UK yet.

If the quality is bad, then you can forget it as far as the general public is concerned. In the Fan Community maybe, but in general no.

If the video quality was good enough to be shown on TV for example, then it might happen in the general public as well.

I think the popularity of Bucharest has a lot to do with the fact TV channels aired that concert in many countries. I remember watching it on TV and taping it 1992 or 93 and how big of a deal it was.

If Wembley '88 has a good enough quality to be shown on TV and if they will show it on TV then maybe, but if not, then probably only hard core fans will be interested.

People seem to forget that this concert will contain pristine audio quality. 5.1 surround. And many consumers own a DVD or Bluray player which will upscale the quality.

So yes, I think that BAD LIVE will stand a chance.

Also, the promo so far has sucked IMO. The BAD25/pepsi promo was almost invisible in the US, has not been much better in other countries, and is not happening at all in the UK. It seems the Spike Lee documentary might be the best promo this concert is gonna get, but it's being shown very late in the USA, well after BAD25 and the wembley concert will have disappeared from the charts. German TV is showing it in October, which is better. No air date for the UK yet.

Couldn't have said it better.

For the "hardcore" fan, it's possible. For the casual, I would say no.

As someone already stated, the Dangerous tour (at least in years past) has been on television multiple times throughout the years and it is the one that most people are familiar with whether they are a "die hard" or not. Even those that aren't really fans, they have seen the footage at least at some point in their lifetime. The History tour...not so much. At least here in the states...I can't tell you the last time I saw anything not named MSG 30 on tv. That along with "This Is It" are the only ones I've seen for quite some time now.

Don't even get me started on the lack of promotion here in the states. The only reason I know about any of this is through the forums and through facebook, but I have seen ZERO ads for any of this BAD 25 stuff. Most people in the states that don't follow MJ like most of us, have no idea about any of this and certainly don't know anything about a DVD. I remember when the Dangerous tour came out on DVD here and no one had a clue.

I don't think the quality will be an issue, and without much promo going on, its not going to matter how good or bad it is if no one knows about it. The BIG thing I think this concert has going for it is that it is unedited. And I hope that the crowd shots are limited, because that was the biggest complaint I've always heard from causal, hardcore, and everything in between fans alike. If these two things hold up, then for me, it will become my number concert to watch.

Couldn't have said it better.

For the "hardcore" fan, it's possible. For the casual, I would say no.

As someone already stated, the Dangerous tour (at least in years past) has been on television multiple times throughout the years and it is the one that most people are familiar with whether they are a "die hard" or not. Even those that aren't really fans, they have seen the footage at least at some point in their lifetime. The History tour...not so much. At least here in the states...I can't tell you the last time I saw anything not named MSG 30 on tv. That along with "This Is It" are the only ones I've seen for quite some time now.

Don't even get me started on the lack of promotion here in the states. The only reason I know about any of this is through the forums and through facebook, but I have seen ZERO ads for any of this BAD 25 stuff. Most people in the states that don't follow MJ like most of us, have no idea about any of this and certainly don't know anything about a DVD. I remember when the Dangerous tour came out on DVD here and no one had a clue.

I don't think the quality will be an issue, and without much promo going on, its not going to matter how good or bad it is if no one knows about it. The BIG thing I think this concert has going for it is that it is unedited. And I hope that the crowd shots are limited, because that was the biggest complaint I've always heard from causal, hardcore, and everything in between fans alike. If these two things hold up, then for me, it will become my number concert to watch.

I agree!

I hope so... I know a lot of people who think that the Bucharest concert is the only concert Michael did... WTF...

Wembley will never pass Bucharest. Bucharest was first broadcast as a TV event. Who knows if Wembley will ever be shown on TV.

IMO the only concert that has a chance to surpass bucharest (In the general publics eye) is LA 89, that is if it is ever to be released.

The quality is superb, it was his last concert from the Bad Tour and his last concert in the States.

Now if the wembley concert has a chance to surpass the popularity of bucharest is yet to be seen...

I'm pretty sure Wembley 88' will dominate Bucharest 92', I still believe when the DVD is out, it will be a biggest concert DVD to hit.

Well you said 'almost' invisible. Well in my country such promos are totally completely invisible and I mean it. MJ's presence simply lacks here. Even TII hasn't been broadcasted on TV. I was actually suprised that I saw Moonwalker 2 years ago on June 25 on my local TV, also last year. This year it wasn't. Moonwalker was only MJ related thing ever I've seen on TV here, as far as I'm aware. Not a lot of people are MJ fans here. MJ has never toured here also. So no big cash to get here from MJ. But from other side how they suppose to get new fans with 0 promotions?

People seem to forget that this concert will contain pristine audio quality. 5.1 surround. And many consumers own a DVD or Bluray player which will upscale the quality.

So yes, I think that BAD LIVE will stand a chance.
And you seem to forget that Cd of the concerts is to be released too. So that dvd is just for the fans. for regular people it won't apply.
And your second sentence makes me think that you have no idea what you talking about. Or you're way to positive about the video quality.

When/if blu-ray is coming, then we can talk about surpassing or at least to be noticed by others then just the fans.

Regarding promotion, that thing isn't out yet. Lets wait and see and then start whine about over-expected not present promotion.
Also, the Spike Lee docu, the news articles about Bad 25, Pepsi cans, thats more promotion T25 had.
Promotion isn't only tv commercials.
And you should not forget, it is very importand from which coutry you are.
Promotion is only made in countries that are profitable, where really is market that exist. If you are from country that no one knows where it lies on the map, of course you can't expect to see anything. USa is exception when it comes to Michael.
I've said it many times, till now every cd/dvd release that have been made in the last 10 years had tv ads in major tv channels on prime time in the country where i live. and those channels are feeded on satellite, so the audience is big. So don't judge by the country you're from about promotion.

Last edited:
Being more popular than Bucharest? Nah, I don't think so. Also it comes down to video quality. If this was released on Blu-Ray I'm sure it would have very very good chances. But I don't think regular people will appreciate and recognise Wembley more than Bucharest. Majority wouldn't be looking so much forward to it due to quality issue.

I can't speak for other countries but the Bucharest concert was a very popular release in the UK. Although it's not currently in the Top40 music video chart, it charted for a very long time.
(Moonwalker and TII still are in the chart after 131 and 166 weeks respectively).

On MJJLatvia's point, Sony's MJ promotion for the last decade seems to be push out a product, buy one prime time promo spot on ITV, a few promo spots at 3am on a barely watched digital channel and leave it at that. (Putting a massive poster in a field near Heathrow airport for 'Michael' was a waste of time. Just about every printed media outlet ignored it and so it was a failure). When I see multiple billboard and TV adverts for other artist albums and 'cheap' compilations I wonder why Sony don't try harder. If they have the budget for those albums, and if they see it as worthwhile, why not do it for MJ?
Yes lom kit, the Pepsi promotion was a great idea, but the execution was poor. What's the point of running a promotion when the fans who are already know about the cans and are actively hunting for them can't find them anywhere? How is that promoting or widening the reach of the BAD25 project?

I don't remember how was the T25 promotion.

The Pepsi thing is limited and i'll say its Pepsi fault if they didn't manage to distribute their product. the estate made the deal, great. Just pepsi failed to execute it properly. I won't blame the estate or sony and the promotion of Bad25, because of Pepsi's failure.

IMO the only concert that has a chance to surpass bucharest (In the general publics eye) is LA 89, that is if it is ever to be released.

The quality is superb, it was his last concert from the Bad Tour and his last concert in the States.

Now if the wembley concert has a chance to surpass the popularity of bucharest is yet to be seen...

But then again even if the LA 89 show ever is released it won't be the same because by then there will already have been a Bad Tour release, it won't be anything new and thus it won't have quite the same effect as if it was the first release of the tour.
For reference, if they decided to release another Dangerous concert now it wouldn't get anywhere near the same exposure as the Bucarest one.

No!

Unfortunately I have to agree, I have already told to some people about this release and even being something from Michael Jackson, no one are a little anxious, they think it's just another concert.

And Pepsi and Estate also don't help, almost nothing of information have been transmitted to divulge BAD25 as it should.

So, this concert maybe will be more famous than other concerts to hardcore MJ fans.

What do you mean by popularity?

In the fan base the Bucharest concert definitely isn't popular it is frowned upon for it's crappy editing. Still this concert appeals to casual people.

It will undoubtedly surpass popularity in our fan community.... And then it might be frowned upon again if fans want Rome or LA...

What do you mean by popularity?

I guess what i meant by popularity is 'most watched'. In time to come will more people have watched the Bad Wembley concert then the Dangerous in Bucharest concert i guess is what im asking.

I guess what i meant by popularity is 'most watched'. In time to come will more people have watched the Bad Wembley concert then the Dangerous in Bucharest concert i guess is what im asking.

So I guess a lot of people missed the point. But either way, my answer remains the same.

Back