Will.i.am-his producing talents enough for MJ?

Basically we havent heard anything from Will.i.am in roughly 6 months...maybe MJ and Will finished up their work and now Mike is workin with Akon/RedONE/Ne-Yo for some other songs. Im sure Michael wants lots of options for this new album and will be taking the best from everyone.
Personally I can see the final album being a split between Michael produced work and Akon/RedONE produced work with maybe 1 Ne-Yo song and 1 Will.i.am song to jazz it up.

Im hoping for an even spread.

will.i.am was in Ireland for a month consecutive working on songs with MJ. They drafted 8 and started MAKING 3. Up until September 07 they had still only COMPLETED 3 song together:
Will.i.am at Pepsi/BEP press conference 2007
I've done 3 songs with Michael Jackson now, and maybe it will come out next year (2008) - we dont know - but ima continue to work with Michael Jackson.. yep.
(asked about the sound of the tracks) I heard it (laughs). Yeah, its pretty amazing, yep. But i cant, you know its Michael Jackson, I cant talk about it.

Remember that most of the in depth work began in January of 2007 when MJ moved from his Ireland recording studio to the Las Vegas one. He was working with Rodney Jerkins there, so THEY will have made songs that will be considered for this album as well....

Around November is when Akon started talking about actual WORK with MJ.

will.i.am stopped working with Michael around Feb 2008 because he had to go off and promote his solo work, which he put on hold for almost 6 months in order to do alot of studio time with MJ. will.i.am literally RELEASED his solo album (Songs About Girls) then did NOTHING to promote it (apart from I Got It From My Mamma, which was filmed in Brazil, and while he was there he worked on Thriller 25 mixes) because all his time was consumed with MJ and studio work. Since Feb 08 will.i.am is doing politics stuff, plus has had music videos, performances and interviews for his solo album finally.

Akon has been touring recently, and on his breaks from touring has been working with Michael. RedOne also has been with him. Michael has done alot of solo studio time also. We know Sean Garrett is in studio working with MJ now as well. So there are a few things all going on. Ne-yo writting songs from a distance. He has had no studio time due to tour, performance, video and promotions commitments, but being a songwriter that doesnt matter too much anyways.

Wow, i didnt mean to go on and on, all i meant to do what talk about why we aint heard much from will.i.am lately LOL!

Will I Am's producing skills are definitely up to par if you ask me. His beats are sick, and he's good with melodies too.

And like someone else here said, he's versatile.

Basically we havent heard anything from Will.i.am in roughly 6 months...maybe MJ and Will finished up their work and now Mike is workin with Akon/RedONE/Ne-Yo for some other songs. Im sure Michael wants lots of options for this new album and will be taking the best from everyone.
Personally I can see the final album being a split between Michael produced work and Akon/RedONE produced work with maybe 1 Ne-Yo song and 1 Will.i.am song to jazz it up.

Nah, I don't think it's going down like that.
I could be wrong, but I think there's gonna be more will.i.am stuff on the album than we think. I mean, MJ and Will spent WAY too much time in the studio together for there to only be 1 song. I really think Michael and will.i.am will be responsible for 50-60% of the new album's material. Akon, RedOne, Ne-Yo, Sean Garrett, Swizz Beatz, and whoever else has been rumored to be involved will fill in the rest.

Hollaback.

Last edited:
Nah, I don't think it's going down like that.
I could be wrong, but I think there's gonna be more will.i.am stuff on the album than we think. I mean, MJ and Will spent WAY too much time in the studio together for there to only be 1 song. I really think Michael and will.i.am will be responsible for 50-60% of the new album's material. Akon, RedOne, Ne-Yo, Sean Garrett, Swizz Beatz, and whoever else has been rumored to be involved will fill in the rest.

Hollaback.

Nah I think there will be limitted will.i.am tunes on there.. think of it this way..

MJ and will.i.am started working together in Octobr 06.

In November 06 Mike told reporters at WMA "im mainly writing it myself"

In September 07 will.i.am "i have done 3 song with Michael Jackson"..
..thats 11 months to complete 3 songs. not many!

In the meantime of Oct 06 - Sept 07 MJ was also working with Rodney Jerkins (more songs to consider)

September 07 is when Ne-yo started saying he is writing for MJ, so he has had 11months worth of input as well!

Akon talked about MJ in April, met him in July and started talking about actual work in November. So Nov - now has given Akon 9/10 months of time to work with MJ and we have already HEARD something they made together.

I reckon there will be a couple of will.i.am songs in there, a few at the max.
I reckon there will be some Rodney Jerkins songs in there as well.
Akon/RedOne stuff I think will have a few tunes also.
And stuff Michael has done on his own I reckon will fill the remainder.

Remember, Michael Jackson can always rely on himself to be in the studio and to be thinking creatively. Akon, will.i.am, Ne-yo, RedOne, Rodney Jerkins.. ALL these people are creating for a LONG LIST OF OTHER ARTISTS AS WELL! Plus tours, interviews, promotions, performances, videos, all for the OWN work! Remember that! The common denomiator here is obvious, because through all the different collaborations, MICHAEL JACKSON is the one who is always there, always working on it and afterall it is HIS album.

Nah I think there will be limitted will.i.am tunes on there.. think of it this way..

MJ and will.i.am started working together in Octobr 06.

In November 06 Mike told reporters at WMA "im mainly writing it myself"

In September 07 will.i.am "i have done 3 song with Michael Jackson"..
..thats 11 months to complete 3 songs. not many!

In the meantime of Oct 06 - Sept 07 MJ was also working with Rodney Jerkins (more songs to consider)

September 07 is when Ne-yo started saying he is writing for MJ, so he has had 11months worth of input as well!

Akon talked about MJ in April, met him in July and started talking about actual work in November. So Nov - now has given Akon 9/10 months of time to work with MJ and we have already HEARD something they made together.

I reckon there will be a couple of will.i.am songs in there, a few at the max.
I reckon there will be some Rodney Jerkins songs in there as well.
Akon/RedOne stuff I think will have a few tunes also.
And stuff Michael has done on his own I reckon will fill the remainder.

Remember, Michael Jackson can always rely on himself to be in the studio and to be thinking creatively. Akon, will.i.am, Ne-yo, RedOne, Rodney Jerkins.. ALL these people are creating for a LONG LIST OF OTHER ARTISTS AS WELL! Plus tours, interviews, promotions, performances, videos, all for the OWN work! Remember that! The common denomiator here is obvious, because through all the different collaborations, MICHAEL JACKSON is the one who is always there, always working on it and afterall it is HIS album.

Okay Damien, with the exception of HIStory, Michael has always featured only ONE producer more prominently than another. Quincy Jones (Off The Wall/Thriller/Bad), Teddy Riley (Dangerous), and Rodney Jerkins (Invincible) come to mind. This time around, he'll do more of the same. Trust me.
I really don't think MJ's gonna sprinkle his new album with tracks from will.i.am, Akon, RedOne, Ne-Yo, Sean Garrett, Kanye West, Rodney Jerkins, Swizz Beatz, Neff-U, John Legend, and Teddy Riley. That'd be way too much crap on one cd, lol.
Remember, Jackson spent a shit load of time, energy, and money working with lots of different super-producers for Dangerous and Invincible, and still ultimately settled on Riley and Jerkins. MJ's found his man with either will.i.am or Akon. One of the two will have 4-5 tracks produced for the new project, bet on it. I'd put my money on Will.
Those two were jiving a little too well together during that "Access Hollywood" interview. We're also overlooking the fact that Will played a much bigger role in remixing Thriller25 than Akon ever did. Like I keep saying, I could be wrong.
But I think I'm right, lol.

Hollaback.

Okay Damien, with the exception of HIStory, Michael has always featured only ONE producer more prominently than another. Quincy Jones (Off The Wall/Thriller/Bad), Teddy Riley (Dangerous), and Rodney Jerkins (Invincible) come to mind. This time around, he'll do more of the same. Trust me.
I really don't think MJ's gonna sprinkle his new album with tracks from will.i.am, Akon, RedOne, Ne-Yo, Sean Garrett, Kanye West, Rodney Jerkins, Swizz Beatz, Neff-U, John Legend, and Teddy Riley. That'd be way too much crap on one cd, lol.
Remember, Jackson spent a shit load of time, energy, and money working with lots of different super-producers for Dangerous and Invincible, and still ultimately settled on Riley and Jerkins. MJ's found his man with either will.i.am or Akon. One of the two will have 4-5 tracks produced for the new project, bet on it. I'd put my money on Will.
Those two were jiving a little too well together during that "Access Hollywood" interview. We're also overlooking the fact that Will played a much bigger role in remixing Thriller25 than Akon ever did. Like I keep saying, I could be wrong.
But I think I'm right, lol.

Hollaback.

I definately see where you are coming from, but I dont totally agree...

We could go back and forward about it for days but in the end, neither of us know. I just cant picture the album being packed with will.i.am songs when he admitted that over a year, oct06 - sept07 they completed only 3 songs. I just think the reason behind that is that in that period Michael was working with people who werent made so public.. and we get the illusion that will.i.am is the main man because the media targeted will.i.am with all the questions about it, therefore he was the main man talking about working with MJ.. while the others slid under the radar.

Last edited:
I definately see where you are coming from, but I dont totally agree...

We could go back and forward about it for days but in the end, neither of us know. I just cant picture the album being packed with will.i.am songs when he admitted that over a year, oct06 - sept07 they completed only 3 songs. I just think the reason behind that is that in that period Michael was working with people who werent made so public.. and we get the illusion that will.i.am is the main man because the media targeted will.i.am with all the questions about it, therefore he was the main man talking about working with MJ.. while the others slid under the radar.

Yeah, I get what you're saying Damien.
But with the exception of will.i.am & Akon, I don't think there's another producer MJ's been working with exclusively. He's Michael Jackson. Not Michael Bolton, lol.
Everybody and their mama's gonna know who he's working with. That's why the "slid under the radar" scenario seems unlikely. It could've happened, but I have my doubts. The way word travels these days, we'll probably find out who MJ's gonna collaborate with next...before it even happens, lol!
Ah well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Hollaback.

Last edited:
Yeah, I get what you're saying Damien.
But with the exception of will.i.am & Akon, I don't think there's another producer MJ's been working with exclusively. He's Michael Jackson. Not Michael Bolton, lol.
Everybody and their mama's gonna know who he's working with. That's why the "slid under the radar" scenario seems unlikely. It could've happened, but I have my doubts. The way word travels these days, we'll probably find out who MJ's gonna collaborate with next...before it even happens, lol!
Ah well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Hollaback.

what you have written here i DO agree with, lol.
i definately agree that all we know is that will.i.am and Akon are the only two he has exclusively worked with.

Back