Will.i.am-his producing talents enough for MJ?

smoothcriminal12

Proud Member
Ive got will.i.ams album Songs about Girls, and the beats etc are amazing on it, really different and fresh! All thats missing is the killer vocals (thats where MJ fits in)

Ive got will.i.ams album Songs about Girls, and the beats etc are amazing on it, really different and fresh! All thats missing is the killer vocals (thats where MJ fits in)

i agree, wills production skills r hot!

Last edited:
I personally think most will.i.am beats are empty and have wholes all over the place.. As a beat maker, I don't like it.. As a producer he's good..

NOW!! I know Mike has worked with him, and if you add a beat with will.i.am and you fill that will the full range of instramentals and sounds to fill in those holes.. It would sound amazing..

See I find will.i.am creating good basic beats..great 'forground' sounds.. but when you peal it layer by layer, it sucks.. But see Michael has a great ear and would fill in those wholes with subliminal sounds, adlibs, vocal over lays, and bring in some other instramentals (if needed)... Michaels ear and capabilities with what positive things will.i.am brings is GREAT..

yes.

will.i.am feat. Terry Dexter - Lay Me Down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLtjrJpeAa8

Earth, Wind & Fire feat. will.i.am - Lovely People
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAVIW8WLxHg

Sergio Mendes feat will.i.am, Erykah Badu - That Heat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grZTsF0JRQY

he's a very veratile producer and can bring the soul when appropriate. i think the tracks you chose to sum him up is really misleading to who he really is as a producer. the man's first love is soul, but his last two commercial albums flopped artistically imo.

but as a co-producer, Mike could use his talents really well.

Very much so. The stuff he produced for John Legend's last album is amazing.

Well, imo it's all about beats in his stuff. There's much other things that lack. Like a melody.

Are people posting his music to show that it's good??? Or just giving examples of what he's done?

I don't think too many people would argue that he can create good basic beats with rhythmic sounds.. But sadly that's where MOST OF HIS SONGS end.

Most of his songs sound like there is so much missing.. His beats have so much more potential if more sounds were layerd through his beats.. He gets that basic sound down well, but as a full composition, most of them are weak...

If will.i.am were to work more with Jazz musicians he would learn a great deal on layering music as a composition, instead of basic beats..

While I do enjoy some of his beats, you can find as good or better at any local beat maker at a school, small little recording studio, and/or friends that are into music.. Even musicians that buy music off of soundclick..

There is a BIG difference between a beat maker and a musician.. Different ears, different approach, different quality..

Last edited:
KOPV, i posted my first example from him to downplay this played out generalisation of him being all about fun rhythm and no complexities. tell me the flaw in that particular tune, Lay Me Down with Terry Dexter; i believe it's one of his most suitably melodic and soulful cuts.

The song is good.. Probably one of his bests as far as composition.. I would not consider it PERFECT, it can use a bit more work instremtally.. But I would not compain about it either.. it's good!!

But I said, MOST.. not ALL.. Most of his songs are not full compositions..

^ well good, but there's a lot more where that came from.

There is a BIG difference between a beat maker and a musician.. Different ears, different approach, different quality..
unlike many of his producer contemporaries, the man is actually a respected musician (keyboardist, drummer, bassist and guitarist) and detests many of the automated techniques that kill off this syncopated approach to good music that's lacking in today's urban Pop. and contrary to your suggestion, he's actually a big Jazz and Bossa Nova fan and knows a thing or two about working with some of the greats ;)

i saved an article i once posted on MJNO from a subscription magazine:

Sergio Mendes and Will.I.Am Team Up for "Timeless"

remixmag.com ~ 2006

Brazilian-born pianist/composer/arranger Sergio Mendes' name is synonymous with pop bossa nova. He became an international icon in the late 1960s, recording with numerous hit-making incarnations of the group Brasil '66. With the success of their light, jazz-flavored pop records, Mendes also developed as a high-caliber producer, working with the likes of Sarah Vaughan, Johnny Mathis, Gilberto Gil and others. Mendes settled in the United States permanently in 1964. He had always had an affinity for mainstream jazz, and he jumped at opportunities to work with legends such as saxophonists Cannonball Adderley and Stan Getz, trumpeter Dizzy Gillespie, and fellow countrymen Antonio Carlos Jobim and Joao Gilberto.

In strong contrast, William Adams, better known as will.i.am — rapper-singer/leader of the red-hot Black Eyed Peas — was born in 1975, years after Mendes' most successful period, and he comes from the hip hop world. But he's very versatile, playing keyboards, drums and bass, and his diverse musical tastes include bossa nova. In fact, the rapper/producer is one of Mendes' biggest fans.

This unlikely pair formed a relationship in 2002 when the Peas were recording their breakout CD, Elephunk. They decided to do a take on Jobim's “How Insensitive” and wanted Mendes to play piano on a song called “Sexy.” Mendes says he met with will.i.am mostly out of curiosity, but then was amazed when will.i.am came over to his house with a crate full of Mendes music on vinyl, dating back to his instrumental years at Atlantic and including albums that Mendes himself didn't have. After the session with the BEPs, where Mendes was exposed to Pro Tools for the first time, he and will.i.am talked about working together in the future.

“My last record was about ten years ago and I wasn't really thinking about doing another one,” Mendes recalls from his Woodland Hills, Calif., home. “But I enjoyed that experience [with the BEPs]. So I said to will.i.am, ‘Why don't we make a record? You love Brazilian music and we can re-introduce those great melodies to the kids of today, and you can bring the hip hop world. So it's like two generations, two different cultures, doing something very fresh and unique.”

In 2004, will.i.am and the Peas were in Sao Paulo, Brazil, performing; Mendes happened to be there as well, vacationing with his family. Because he had never seen the Peas perform, he came out for the show and was astonished by both the crowd and group's energy. Afterward, will.i.am invited Mendes to a late-night session. Without a record deal or clear concept, they recorded a hip hop version of the Brasil '66 hit “Mas Que Nada” and a few other songs over the course of several days at Mosh Studios. Mendes also cut a song with the Maogani Quartet, whom he brought in from Rio de Janeiro. Weeks later, back in Southern California, Mendes and will.i.am met again; this time they started formulating a coherent plan, which resulted in Mendes' most recent album, Timeless. For the album sessions, will.i.am brought in more Brazilian records, including albums by Jorge Ben, Joao Gilberto, Baden Powell and Joao Donato. “Whenever I dive into something, I do my homework,” will.i.am stresses from his home studio in Southern California's San Fernando Valley, “We picked ‘Berimbau/Consolacao,’ ‘Bananeira’ [Banana Tree], and ‘E Menina’ [Hey Girl] — they just spoke to us.”

Because of will.i.am's busy schedule touring with the Peas and producing other artists' CDs, he didn't get back in the studio with Mendes until Spring 2005. However, leading up to that meeting, Mendes and will.i.am worked on sessions with other contributing artists at Mega Studios in Paris, Chung King Studios in New York, Pacifique in North Hollywood and Wild West Studios in Malibu. Once they got together again in L.A. the work shifted to House of Blues Studio in Encino.

In the studio, will.i.am is highly energetic and quite adept at using Pro Tools — he's a triple-threat combination of artist, engineer and producer. “Engineers slow me down — those guys are like turtles,” he says with a laugh. “I'll request a mic be placed next to the Pro Tools screen while I do my vocals. I sequence, program, edit, submix and mix on it. A lot of people think of it as a tape machine, but I don't look at it like that — it's my palette that I draw on. But I need an engineer for the patchbay, especially on the older, vintage equipment. I never had the patience to learn it and I don't like reading manuals. Also, I hate MIDI, think it sounds terrible and prefer humans playing those parts.”

Jason Villaroman, who's been associated with the Peas and will.i.am for about five years, did the bulk of the recording. He also catalogued every session that could be potentially used for Timeless. “Just about everything I know [about Pro Tools] I've learned through [will.i.am],” he says. “We tailor sounds for the songs using Pro Tools when we work with an artist, miking stuff up and implementing gear outside of a computer — what he likes to have an engineer for.”

During sessions at House of Blues Studios, Mendes would usually roll in around noon, work into the evening and go out for dinner afterwards. Villaroman's and will.i.am's days were longer — they had usually worked on another project, such as Macy Gray's album, before Mendes arrived. “Sergio is different than the Black Eyed Peas because he's a lot more musical,” Villaroman says. “He's made, like, 70 records and my grandparents even know who he is. will.i.am tends to formulate as he goes and he just wanted the project to sound hot. No EQs and very dynamic unless you're tailoring a sound [such as bass, which was EQ'd heavily].

“It really was all about mic placement for me, and will.i.am doing his thing on Pro Tools. The rough mixes throughout the whole thing were amazing and texturally deep — I mean [mixer] Tony Maserati killed it! But if I played what we mixed you would still be saying, ‘Damn — those are cool.’” Villaroman used the House of Blues' vintage API console with 550A EQs, along with a Neve 1076. Most of the instruments were captured using Neumann U87s and 67s — the latter was the favored mic for Mendes' wife, Gracinha Leporace, who provided the vocal foundation for the project. Other microphones included an AKG 414 for piano and C 12 for guitars.

From the audience's standpoint, Timeless is laden with top-selling pop artists, who are certain to interest even listeners with little knowledge of bossa nova and samba. During the song selection process, Mendes asked will.i.am whom he envisioned on the record. The rapper/producer casually responded, “Justin Timberlake and Stevie Wonder.” “I was just dreaming,” will.i.am says. “When it came time to try to put it together and deliver, that's when I thought, ‘I'm in over my head with these promises I made.’ To expect Justin Timberlake to like samba as much as I do is hard. But when he heard India.Arie's song, ‘Timeless,’ I didn't have to ask him — he wanted to be part of the project. India.Arie and Jill Scott really set the tone for some of the people who traditionally wouldn't accept that kind of collaboration. I saw Stevie Wonder coming out of the Record Plant at four in the morning and told him who I was, that I was working on a project with Sergio and asked if he would play harmonica on a track. He said he loved my band and hadn't seen Sergio in 30 years, but wanted to hear the track and take it home so he could learn it. He came by the next day at three o'clock, did one take and left an hour later.”

Throughout the making of Timeless, the greatest challenge was maintaining a balance of bossa nova and hip hop. Sometimes will.i.am wanted to try a rap or rhythm that was slightly incongruous, and Mendes would complain that it didn't sound Brazilian. Singer John Legend's track was one where will.i.am had to make some creative adjustments to satisfy Mendes' views. Other times Mendes told will.i.am to add more rapping, so it went both ways. “When you're fusing genres like that you have to be careful,” will.i.am says. “Sergio has been doing bossa nova for over 40 years. I don't want to insult all of his other records, and I want to have some of the same colors of samba.”

When it came time to mix, will.i.am brought in Tony Maserati, who has worked extensively on projects by the BEPs and many other pop and hip hop acts. The two had been talking about working on a Mendes record almost since the mix of the Peas' “Sexy” three years earlier. Toward the end of the summer of 2005, Maserati, who has his own custom room at Chung King in Manhattan, got down to business on the Mendes record.

“It was an interesting project because everything is played live,” he says. “Sergio's band did most of the original tracks. Then will.i.am had several guests and members of his band play along with Sergio's hits to fill in. will.i.am was always on the road and did all the programming and editing before I got it. I mixed about ten songs and communicated [live in real time] through iChat with will.i.am. I'd send mixes and he would give me comments, while Sergio was here most of the time making his comments. Sometimes will.i.am would get inspired, add a guest and make a song longer, then I would clip it here and there to fit the format of having another singer or rapper. It ended up that all the songs were mixed about three times; basically the project grew as it developed and sometimes the songs changed form.

“Sergio and will.i.am worked together really well, with Sergio being the consummate musician and always had great comments about vibe and aesthetics,” Maserati continues. “will.i.am has great sensibility about that as well. It all worked out because we approached it as a whole project and we didn't have to worry as much about studio time because I had my own place.” Maserati affectionately called Mendes “the Brazilian police” because he made sure the Brazilian/jazz flavor was always present.

Mendes notes, “It was great and clear, with very good sounds. At the end of the process, I had my dear friend Bernie Grundman, where I've always ended my projects, master it. He brought the final magic to it, with the beautiful spices he adds, combined with will.i.am doing most of the Pro Tooling and Tony Maserati mixing.”

will.i.am sums up the project: “Sergio planted a seed and people picked the fruit, and now we replanted it for people to come and enjoy the same tree that was there, just in a different shape than in 1966. To me that's Timeless and I don't care if this record doesn't sell but ten copies. The fact that that it was made honestly — with no record company and nobody saying ‘You guys should…,’ with just two people that appreciate each other — hasn't been done before. Sergio is a producer, and the reason all his records sound a certain way is because of him. But for him to sit back and let me produce with the limitations of not knowing theory, but having lots of imagination and just being a hip hop producer — that's dope. He appreciated and found beauty in the whole thing.”

however, i don't fully blame people for viewing will.i.am as simply a fun beatmaker because his last two commercial albums were nothing of the sort he's capable of and i always blamed it on the current trends and marketing of songwriting these days. i've also never liked most BEP releases after Fergie was brought in purely for image reasons that unfortunately worked.

but of his 257 composition credits, if you check out many of the collaborations with established/respected AND with new artists (Damien posted the new Estelle tune above which i think is outstanding) plus the album he did on the ultra cool but small BBE label, you'd recognise a completely different face - a more honest interpretation of what he loves as opposed to what big labels love and demand from him. otherwise he wouldn't have this stuff on a label that demands nothing from him but his right to use all his creativity.

i truly believe Michael will use the best qualities he sees in Will if they do in fact collaborate on any final cut and i've always been glad of his choice to jam with someone like will.i.am.

Last edited:
NOPE!!!!!! I still ain't heard a Memorable track from dude yet. dime a dozen who while I dig some of his beats just reminds me of a up-dated broke version of Wyclef. these cats don't know what a Producer is suppose to do and be. take a lesson from Quincy Jones and get top notch songs and not stuff that is fast food. Will is a decent talent but dude ain't that deep.

MJ just pimps these cats and because MJ is a Steak of a Artist you then buy these turkeys and all you get is a Hamburger Helper results.

dime a dozen who while I dig some of his beats just reminds me of a up-dated broke version of Wyclef.
apart from fighting between them over which one's the lookalike, Wyclef has nothing on Will. all that time i was jamming to a Fugees track, turned out the best thing about it came from Lauryn's production ideas. you have to admit the bloke is already way above Wyclef in the game now.

Will is a decent talent but dude ain't that deep.
that's exactly what he is, out of a commercial cesspool of no significant talents. he's generic if you compare him to past greats and many present unknowns, but when has Mike ever been one to go beyond the fresh mainstream to look for showcasing talent? i think will.i.am's one of the best collabs there is. two words: Rodney Jerkins
f_doh.gif

Last edited:
No. But then again, I don't look at any of todays mainstream acts and see anyone worthy of actually stepping in to the studio with Michael. At the same time, I won't dare to question Michael's artistic judgements and direction, because who the hell am I to tell him he's wrong. I know Michael is looking to accomplish a certain thing here and he fully understand's what he's doing. He's a musical genius and he know's what he wants and how to get it. Of course I would prefer Michael to simply work by himself, in all honesty, he's all he needs. With that kind of talent, that's no lie. But that's not what he want's right now. Maybe someday in the future, and hopefully on that day, he'll show the world what he's truly capable of. Until then, I'm not stressed or worried about the direction Michael is taking. I know the music will be top notch as it always is. I WANT Michael to write his own songs in the least, but I'm not about to chastise him or tell him he's making some huge mistake simply because he's not doing what I want. Michael has never put out bull sh*t music, except for when he was maybe 10, and that wasn't his fault. So I'm not worried, at all. As long as Mike's in control, then the album will be great. And if he writes the majority of the songs himself, then it will be brilliant.

And one last thing people should remember is, Michael doesn't have to put out anything, if he doesn't want to. I think some gratitude towards him is in store for choosing to further share his unparalleled gifts with the world, in whatever form or capacity.

Last edited:
will.i.am is one of the most diverse producers out there.
He has his own style, using instruments in a unique/different way, than what a lot of these new producers are doing.

He has done excellent work with artists like Estelle, Mary J, Justin Timberlake, Fergie, Chris Brown, Sergio Mendes, John Legend, [Earth, Wind, & Fire], BEP, Terry Dexter, Usher, and the list could go on and on.

His whole style, could range from Silky Soul to Chart topping Pop.
His music is very unique, and when you usually hear them, sometimes you just know he produced it. I actually knew Will produced "American Boy", before I read it.

With him and MJ both sharing their artistic ideas, I think they can create some funky classic music. Just my opinion.

But MJ picked a good musician to help with his new project. ;)

Last edited:
Nope. Not really.
No disrespect to will.i.am, but dude hasn't done much to impress me. I don't think he stinks, but I definitely don't think he's good enough to be working with Michael Jackson.
And I'm an objective fan. I'm not one of those deranged fans walking around holding Michael's nuts, acting like he's the god of music. Personally, I think alot of people are worthy enough to have a shot at working with the King of Pop. I just think will.i.am's music production is mediocre. Nothing he's ever made has jumped out at me and made me say, "WOW!"
He may be a versatile producer and a gifted rapper (dude can freestyle his ass off), but as far as how he put's down beats in the studio: he's lame. I'm much more excited to here what the Akon/Ne-Yo collaboration's sound like. The "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin 2008" remix and "Hold My Hand" have me thinking maybe MJ was on to something when he decided to work with Akon.
I hope I'm wrong about will.i.am when Jackson's new album drops. Because with the exception of Rodney Jerkins, Michael's made pretty sound judgment when it comes to picking a producer to help him out. So maybe he knows something we don't.
Just my two cents.

Hollaback.

Last edited:
Depends when the album comes out. If he releases an album within the next few months, the sounds will be a hit in todays charts, because everyone is using the same sound. But if it doesn't come out until next year or like 2 years time, then they will be dated.

Last edited:
LOL I love Will. :D I even got his album when it came out. and the vids you posted, I love the Usher "What's Your Name", I like the beat of the Flo Rida song, Big Girls Don't Cry, Where Is The Love.. and much more! Haha I don't wanna list a lot, but I think some songs he works on are awesome. I think Will is a very good producer, and good at what he does. I like him lol. :) So.. yeah, abit. hehe that's what I think. :) I'm sure together MJ and Will.i.am can make awesome music. :)

Last edited:
My little input. Most people don't give a rats ass about beats and all that. They want good melody and catchy tunes, thats all. And that's what I think Michael is gonna give us. Just compare the recent months No 1s in the US&UK and tell me what beat is the right one and what is good and bad.

What about that track that Michael was jamming to on Access Hollywood? That was a tight peice wasn't it?.. I'm forever repeating it. What I like about Will is that he uses live instruments in his stuff. That doesn't happen alot with mainstream music. He also has this way of bringing out the 70s sound in his beats.
I think compared to all other commercial producers out there, Will is definetly the most decent choice Michael could have went for. I'd choose Will over Teddy Riley anytime.

We all just need to remember that Michael will have the final say on his new album, so evan if Will i am is producing the album it doesn't bother me cause Mike will tell him what sucks and what doesen't

He has his own style, using instruments in a unique/different way, than what a lot of these new producers are doing.

He has done excellent work with artists like Estelle, Mary J, Justin Timberlake, Fergie, Chris Brown, Sergio Mendes, John Legend, [Earth, Wind, & Fire], BEP, Terry Dexter, Usher, and the list could go on and on.

His music is very unique, and when you usually hear them, sometimes you just know he produced it. I actually knew Will produced "American Boy", before I read it.

With him and MJ both sharing their artistic ideas, I think they can create some funky classic music. Just my opinion.

real nicely summed up - that's exactly how it is.

Yes, come to think of it... they could do great together. I love what he did with "About You" with MJB, if I could find that track and post it here, it is my FAVORITE from The Breakthrough!

yep i agree with this.

Nope. Not really.
No disrespect to will.i.am, but dude hasn't done much to impress me. I don't think he stinks, but I definitely don't think he's good enough to be working with Michael Jackson.
And I'm an objective fan. I'm not one of those deranged fans walking around holding Michael's nuts, acting like he's the god of music. Personally, I think alot of people are worthy enough to have a shot at working with the King of Pop. I just think will.i.am's music production is mediocre. Nothing he's ever made has jumped out at me and made me say, "WOW!"
He may be a versatile producer and a gifted rapper (dude can freestyle his ass off), but as far as how he put's down beats in the studio: he's lame. I'm much more excited to here what the Akon/Ne-Yo collaboration's sound like. The "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin 2008" remix and "Hold My Hand" have me thinking maybe MJ was on to something when he decided to work with Akon.
I hope I'm wrong about will.i.am when Jackson's new album drops. Because with the exception of Rodney Jerkins, Michael's made pretty sound judgment when it comes to picking a producer to help him out. So maybe he knows something we don't.
Just my two cents.

Hollaback.
i disagree with what you have said about will.i.am

Depends when the album comes out. If he releases an album within the next few months, the sounds will be a hit in todays charts, because everyone is using the same sound. But if it doesn't come out until next year or like 2 years time, then they will be dated.
honestly, this is TOTALLY silly to even consider saying! here is why...

michael jackson will not be creating his new album to "fit in" or sound LIKE other music around right now.

people have NOT heard the music michael is making. therefore, it cannot "sound" dated because no one has HEARD it yet. the day we hear it, it will be BRAND NEW to us, because its the first time we heard it. We wont go "that is dated" when it comes out. How could we. We wont even know what year the song was thought of, written, recrded or produced because it will all be classified as NEW. He has been working on concepts for YEARS now.

will.i.am said it best when asked to describe the music. he said this, in these exact words...

"Melodies, it's all about the melodies. About the melodies and the kind of grooves you will play 10 years from now - Anticipate 10 years from now."

What about that track that Michael was jamming to on Access Hollywood? That was a tight peice wasn't it?.. I'm forever repeating it.
That's a piece of music from will.i.am's solo album. The song is called Fly Girl.

:)

Last edited:
Additionally, i'd like to include this quote from will.i.am.

Will.i.am speaks to Times Online in August 2007
[Jackson's] voice is still incredible. It’s not about crazy beats that are going be here today and gone tomorrow, but melodies that will stay for a lifetime.

So, although he may concentrate on "beats" for some artists, he is clearly taking MICHAEL JACKSON'S instructions seriously with this album. He knows the difference between artists who are here for the moment, and artists who strive for longevity. Michael Jackson is one of the very rare artists who has the ability for his music to live on forever. I guarantee will.i.am is and Michael together have made music to fit that category, otherwise Michael wouldn't have spent over a year working with him ;)

Last edited:
Will seems to have gone reaaaaaally quiet regarding MJ's new album lately. When was the last time we heard anything from him?

Will seems to have gone reaaaaaally quiet regarding MJ's new album lately. When was the last time we heard anything from him?

He said this in Nov 07...

Will.i.am speaking to reporters November 2007
(how is MJ album coming along?) The sh** is awesome.
(when will the album be released?) I dont know. Mike, Mike is ahh, he's real like.. "fine-tune king". Whenever he says 'go'.

And in January 2008 he was talking about how they had finished work on T25 and were back to work on the NEW album. I couldnt get the quote from that coz for some reason that video was taken off youtube and never got re-uploaded.... weird!

Last edited:
Basically we havent heard anything from Will.i.am in roughly 6 months...maybe MJ and Will finished up their work and now Mike is workin with Akon/RedONE/Ne-Yo for some other songs. Im sure Michael wants lots of options for this new album and will be taking the best from everyone.
Personally I can see the final album being a split between Michael produced work and Akon/RedONE produced work with maybe 1 Ne-Yo song and 1 Will.i.am song to jazz it up.

Back