Will.I.Am Criticizes Sony for Releasing New Album

I respect his decision, but isn't that denying the fans the chance to hear what he was working on? I mean, look at TII, michael never released footage of his rehersals but it was a great insight of what should have been.

A. Sizzle;3073500 said:
While the Net is buzzing about Michael Jackson’s posthumous Michael album hitting stores next month, one of the King of Pop’s biggest fans, producer and Black Eyed Peas front man Will.i.am, hasn’t even heard the much-talked-about new song “Breaking News.” He’s not really interested in it, either. “Whoever put it out and is profiting off of it, I want to see how cold they are,” he says, “to say that what [Michael] contributed during his life wasn’t enough. He just wasn’t any ordinary artist. He was a hands-on person. To me it’s disrespectful. There’s no honoring.”

The producer collaborated with Jackson in 2006 on what would have been Jackson’s comeback album, following 2001′s Invincible. He can’t understand how Sony, Epic’s parent company, could release fragmentary works from a man who was so meticulous. “Michael Jackson songs are finished when Michael says they’re finished,” Will says. “Maybe if I never worked with him I wouldn’t have this perspective. He was very particular about how he wanted his vocals, the reverb he used…he was that hands-on.”

Earlier this year, Will talked to Access Hollywood about some of the songs he recorded with Michael, mentioning “Dreaming,” “Still the King,” and a James Brown tribute called “I Will Miss You.” But he still maintains that none of them will ever be released, because Jackson didn’t give them a final okay. “He kept his vocals and I kept the music,” he says. “We had that understanding.”

Link

I understand Will I am....but it's easy for him to say as he's been in the studio with Michael and witnessed the magic. He has HEARD new tracks, so it's not really fair to say "what he's given us already is enough". It's not really fair, IMO.

He's a true fans of MJ, i understand him, MJ (will) be proud of him...

Nothing new in him saying that, I can respect his opinion, but I do not agree with him at all...

I thought I read that MJ left some songs on a hard drive for his children to live off of if he died. obviously, these were the ones saanctioned by him. So why are they going elsewhere to get other songs that he might not agree with?

Maybe that story was false. :( I am just so torn about this album.

yes, it's Will's place. he's a very succesful producer. he knows something i would think.

Key word being producer. As the post I quote below states, Michael's voice is the real music. Will's music makes the complete track, but just like with "Breaking News" Michael's vocals from those sessions could be put over another production and make an amazing track.

I'm going to cut the bull for one second, I think Will might be less than truthful here. We've heard from everyone else who worked with Michael during that period, they either confirmed their involvement with this project, or stated they were working on a different project (Jerkins). From the inception even Friedman hasn't mentioned Will, which leads me to believe it was just brainstorming sessions.

As for respect for Michael, I'm pretty sure some of the music him and Michael worked on has already been released. We heard the instrumental for "Fly Girl" during the Billy Bush interview, Michael worked on that track, we hear a vocal sample during the interview but nowhere on the album credits is Michael listed as a composer, or producer of that track.

Who's to say the music they worked on hasn't been used on these BEP albums? Don't want to start yet another consipracy theory, I just find it funny Will has gone from "You might see those vocals or songs on our next record" to "It's a disgrace, blah blah blah"

as far as the perfect wrapping comment. Michael was the most criticized person in history. now..all of a sudden..sunshine lollipops and flowers..let's have it all..not wrapped perfectly? ok.

it's not up to us to determine the definition of Michael's love, and how he should give gifts.

I agree with you, I already stated that. Michael's love is already proven, my point is that I think it's fair to assume that Michael was prepared to give us all he had one last time. This Is It was about to begin, and I'm sure an album was right around the corner.

I think we all know Michael would have wanted his vision completed, if not by him at least the ones who knew and loved him.

i have yet to see a granite explanation for the attacks on Will I Am.

i submit to you, the statement you gave to me. you're going to pick and choose when a person of reknown, who has expertise in his field is worthy of your respect. Will I Am is worthy of respect. if he and MJ had an understanding...they had an understanding.

I haven't attacked Will, I questioned his stance. So they had an understanding to not release or leak the music until Michael was happy with the tracks, but did Will and Michael have an understanding that if Michael wasn't hear to finish the tracks that they should go unheard?

Michael didn't even know Will rapped, maybe he was expecting something different out of Will that never materialized. Will did an incredible job on TGIM Club Mix, I know he's a worthy producer but that doesn't mean he worthy of deciding what is acceptable for Michael's fans.

so all he has is the beats...and michael kept his vocal recordings....? lol

:fortuneteller: Yea...strange eh? I have my own opinions.

Will working on the James Brown song? That might be a mess

Will and James Brown had worked on a track previously, it's actually pretty funky. He could have produced a great album for James before he passed.

Google "They Don't Want Music", it's not a masterpiece but it's a decent track.

Michael Jackson -vocals are the true music, the most important ingredient in a song.
Will I Am music' is that filling that all these producers are kinda struggles to make, the same with others. Get in line buddy!

Maybe Mike wanted all the music to be his, clearly was not satysfied with the instrumental composition.

I know now who was the TRUE FORCE - even in producing , mixing, eve3rything!!

:clapping:

If MJ wanted to produce and polish these tracks & vocals, he would've done so, and they would've been released. But he didn't, and this is why I will not be buying the album.
That's what I don't understand. Nobody knows what he was thinking of doing, I'm sure before 6/25 he had so many plans for the future. His time was cut short and he wasn't able to :( You don't know, I don't know, maybe he did want to release these.

WillIAm is getting on my nerves. He should be quiet. So, basicly he doesn't have any finished songs as we all thought. If he does, he is selfish.
I guess the songs aren't anything special. everything that he had produced, sounds like "the black eyed peace". Just listened to Rihannas 2009 album (song "Photographs").
He was making big fuzz back then. now he is backing up and acting like he is compassionate. If you feel bad by releasing them on cd, give them for free online for everyone.

Keep those songs for yourself, willie.

Last edited:
I admire the integrity he is showing here. There must be completed songs that Michael left behind that can be used for albums. I rather see that than music that have copy and paste in them to trick me into believing that there is a new song. There should be more artists like William out there. In my opinion he captures the essence of Michael, and made a judgment based on thinking what would Michael want in this situation based on my working knowledge with him.

When people make statements that sound something like this: Michael would have wanted us to hear his music, it makes it seem as though all Michael was about was his Michael-fan relationship as though Michael's whole purpose in life was to satisfy fan's insatiable wants and needs for his music. There was much more to Michael just as there is more to us than simply wanting Michael's music. Simply because we want a song it does not mean that we should have it just because Michael Jackson loved his fans and wanted to please them. By this thinking, every thing he sang before he died, he would publish it; he would publish radio friendly songs as Sony wanted him to do and throw them at us in a disrespectful manner.

We need to understand that Michael respected himself and other people including fans. Therefore, he published music in a specific quality that showed respect to himself and to others including fans. This does not mean that I think that all his unpublished works should be hidden, but that snippets and fragments should not be published, because they need too much input from others for their completion to be true Michal Jackson songs.

I really dislike other people writing music for MJ. The main focus should be to get as many of HIS OWN tracks released.

These two bit contemporary producers ruin his legacy with some of the shit they create

There is a big difference between using some of his vocals on your track and releasing a full album under his name.

I think that using his vocals on a BEP song is as bad, if not worse, than using them in "Michael Jackson" song.

Will.I.Am says that he doesn't think that Michael's songs should be released because Michael was very particular about how he wanted the vocals to sound, and that he was a hands-on artist. Using Michael's vocals in a BEP song doesn't change the fact that Michael won't have an opportunity to make the final decision on how his vocals sound. So, it's hypocritical of Will.I.Am to say that he might use Michael's vocals on a future BEP song. BTW - I thought he didn't even have MJ's vocals?

Personally, I think that it's even worse to use Michael's vocals on a BEP song. My understanding is that Michael recorded those vocals with an intention to produce his own songs. He wasn't recording vocals to be used on a BEP song. The BEPs won't even be trying to produce the song in a way Michael would have liked. They would just produce their own song, in their own style, and use Michael's vocals. What do you think is worse?

Doesn't the estate have the tracks in complete form? John Branca mentioned to be on the album

I think that using his vocals on a BEP song is as bad, if not worse, than using them in "Michael Jackson" song.

Will.I.Am says that he doesn't think that Michael's songs should be released because Michael was very particular about how he wanted the vocals to sound, and that he was a hands-on artist. Using Michael's vocals in a BEP song doesn't change the fact that Michael won't have an opportunity to make the final decision on how his vocals sound. So, it's hypocritical of Will.I.Am to say that he might use Michael's vocals on a future BEP song. BTW - I thought he didn't even have MJ's vocals?

Personally, I think that it's even worse to use Michael's vocals on a BEP song. My understanding is that Michael recorded those vocals with an intention to produce his own songs. He wasn't recording vocals to be used on a BEP song. The BEPs won't even be trying to produce the song in a way Michael would have liked. They would just produce their own song, in their own style, and use Michael's vocals. What do you think is worse?

From what I understand, Michael wanted to be on a BEP song and recorded vocals specifically for that use, as well as his own songs.

I have a lot of respect for Will.I.Am's decision to keep the songs to himself. Fans want everything. I'm sure he respects us and is aware that we would love to hear these tracks. The truth of it is, he was in there with Michael and he knows the songs were not done to Michael's liking. He is respecting Michael's wishes because, as he said, the songs are done when HE says they're done. If Michael was ready to release them, they would've been released.

Will.I.Am is also a musician in his own right.He understands that hearing something that was being worked on can be drastically different than what the final outcome would be. It seems like most people here judge Will.I.Am's work by his work with BEP. I'll be the first to tell you I don't like a lot of BEP's music. The truth is, his catalog is deep as far as working with other artists, and he's created some incredible material for with artists. There's no doubt in my mind that the tracks he and Mike were working on would be (and probably are) incredible.

I'd urge you all to dig deeper into his catalog to see what I mean.

After hearing BN and understanding Teddy Riley's notion that Michael rarely demoed full songs, but only sang the first verse and chorus, I have changed my view on the Will.I.Am songs. I used to think he had his own agenda, but he seems to be a true friend and respecter of the arts.

The only way I want to get these songs now are as they are; unfinished. I don't want them produced any further than their current state. I hope he holds onto them and then releases them when his children take over the Estate either as free downloads or on a demo album. I am willing to wait for pure MJ…

Back