Will.I.Am Criticizes Sony for Releasing New Album

A. Sizzle

Proud Member
While the Net is buzzing about Michael Jackson’s posthumous Michael album hitting stores next month, one of the King of Pop’s biggest fans, producer and Black Eyed Peas front man Will.i.am, hasn’t even heard the much-talked-about new song “Breaking News.” He’s not really interested in it, either. “Whoever put it out and is profiting off of it, I want to see how cold they are,” he says, “to say that what [Michael] contributed during his life wasn’t enough. He just wasn’t any ordinary artist. He was a hands-on person. To me it’s disrespectful. There’s no honoring.”

The producer collaborated with Jackson in 2006 on what would have been Jackson’s comeback album, following 2001′s Invincible. He can’t understand how Sony, Epic’s parent company, could release fragmentary works from a man who was so meticulous. “Michael Jackson songs are finished when Michael says they’re finished,” Will says. “Maybe if I never worked with him I wouldn’t have this perspective. He was very particular about how he wanted his vocals, the reverb he used…he was that hands-on.”

Earlier this year, Will talked to Access Hollywood about some of the songs he recorded with Michael, mentioning “Dreaming,” “Still the King,” and a James Brown tribute called “I Will Miss You.” But he still maintains that none of them will ever be released, because Jackson didn’t give them a final okay. “He kept his vocals and I kept the music,” he says. “We had that understanding.”

Link

i get what he's saying.. but at the same time.. I REALLY WANNA HEAR THOSE WILL.I.AM TRACKS!!!!!! haha...

-Dal

A. Sizzle;3073500 said:
While the Net is buzzing about Michael Jackson’s posthumous Michael album hitting stores next month, one of the King of Pop’s biggest fans, producer and Black Eyed Peas front man Will.i.am, hasn’t even heard the much-talked-about new song “Breaking News.” He’s not really interested in it, either. “Whoever put it out and is profiting off of it, I want to see how cold they are,” he says, “to say that what [Michael] contributed during his life wasn’t enough. He just wasn’t any ordinary artist. He was a hands-on person. To me it’s disrespectful. There’s no honoring.”

The producer collaborated with Jackson in 2006 on what would have been Jackson’s comeback album, following 2001′s Invincible. He can’t understand how Sony, Epic’s parent company, could release fragmentary works from a man who was so meticulous. “Michael Jackson songs are finished when Michael says they’re finished,” Will says. “Maybe if I never worked with him I wouldn’t have this perspective. He was very particular about how he wanted his vocals, the reverb he used…he was that hands-on.”

Earlier this year, Will talked to Access Hollywood about some of the songs he recorded with Michael, mentioning “Dreaming,” “Still the King,” and a James Brown tribute called “I Will Miss You.” But he still maintains that none of them will ever be released, because Jackson didn’t give them a final okay. “He kept his vocals and I kept the music,” he says. “We had that understanding.”

Link

i don't care what anybody says. i always respected this dude. he has a rare insight that agrees with the spirit in all of us...

it's just a matter of not thinking you gotta have everything, when there's plenty out there for you, still.

it's like abc.....u gotta have Michael. period.
Will I Am maintained this stance from the beginning, and got slaughtered for it. He's looking really good, right now.

Last edited:
So the truth has finally come out.

Sorry to say it, but I think Will and Michael never completed any full tracks. What type of understanding do you have where one partner has the vocals only, and one only has the music.

I love Will, but integrity or not he's being a baby. No matter how much of a perfectionist Michael, I know he loves his fans and bringing joy to us. He would want his music released, if he didn't he wouldn't have left his Estate with the power to renegotiate distributional rights for his music.

Last edited:
I would respect what he is saying if he had never mentioned using some of these Vocal's for a Black Eyed Peas Album.

Sorry to say it, but I think Will and Michael never completed any full tracks. What type of understanding do you have where one partner has the vocals only, and one only has the music.

I love Will, but integrity or now he's being a baby. No matter how much of a perfectionist Michael, I know he loves his fans and bringing joy to us. He would want his music released, if he didn't he wouldn't have left his Estate with the power to renegotiate distributional rights for his music.

I don't think they completed tracks either, but I don't doubt that they worked on tracks.

I also don't doubt that they split the vocals and the music. That way, neither could leak the song.

I also think Mike liked bringing Joy to fans. But there was a reason why damn near everything we saw while he was alive was the final product as opposed to parts of the process.

I love Will, but integrity or now he's being a baby. No matter how much of a perfectionist Michael, I know he loves his fans and bringing joy to us. He would want his music released, if he didn't he wouldn't have left his Estate with the power to renegotiate distributional rights for his music.

two plus two doesn't always equal four. maybe he left it for his kids, and eventually, they might be inclined to put it all to a stop.

why is it that if MJ doesn't do something the way we want, he automatically doesn't love his fans?

A. Sizzle;3073500 said:
... “He kept his vocals and I kept the music,” he says. “We had that understanding.”

Link

Sounds like some kind of break-up. "You take the cat and I the chinchillas." I'm not into Will bashing, either. Just sounds like the actual "music" didn't happen, I mean, what else does it mean, if Michael Jackson "doesn't wanna leave his vocals with your music." I remember the interview, Michael said, they are just trying out stuff, experimenting. Guess that's what happened in the end, or you wouldn't "keep your music" and the other one "keeps his vocals".

I simply hope that in the end he rethinks that a few years down the road when he finally might understand that MJ plays a huge part in music history, maybe that'll change the slightly near sighted approach to this. Right now some people are so caught up in these day-to-day dealings that they lose the slightly bigger picture. Once they get older, or right before they pass themselves, they suddenly decide that the world maybe should add this to their history books, happens all the time.
It's understandable from a personal level, but often time helps when they realize what historic value they are holding in their hand, that this "knowledge" is something the world treasures.

All musical greats have someone in their history who's sitting on stuff, doesn't want to release it, even tries to destroy it when no such instructions were given. This stuff happened along the way of all the Great ones.
The Mozart purists still bash each others skulls on the everlasting question of the "authenticity" of the Requiem and Bach purists debate over 200 years later if "allegro assai" means something else today than what it meant then. Michael is in excellent company in all of these things.

Michael could have left some very specific instructions like other writers, authors and composers have left- as in "destroy all unpublished, unreleased and/or unfinished work upon my death". He could have made that wish known also while alive- we do know that from a few other artists.

He didn't. quite the contrary.

Last edited:
two plus two doesn't always equal four. maybe he left it for his kids, and eventually, they might be inclined to put it all to a stop.

why is it that if MJ doesn't do something the way we want, he automatically doesn't love his fans?

No offence, but what are you getting this from?

When did I say Michael didn't or doesn't love his fans? I have no doubt that Michael loved his fans, he literally gave his life trying to please us and for that I will never stop doing my part to keep his legacy alive.

My argument here is if Will and Michael completed any tracks together, Will should really think about what was important to Michael while he was here. Michael loved his fans, he's authorized the release of demos before (The Anniversary Special Editions, The Ultimate Collection).

"In The Back" barely has lyrics, but Michael didn't have a problem with his fans being able to enjoy it. I think Will has gotten part of what Michael is about completely wrong. I personally have at least a hundred unreleased Michael song and demos, of those there is only 1 that Michael has ever expressed an issue publicly about.

Michael knew fans craved new music, and he equally craved to give it to us. His intentions just were that if he was going to release it, he would do it properly and when he was ready.

My point is if Michael was here to oversee and perfect every track to make it studio album worthy I could see why Will wouldn't assist Sony with putting the album out without Michael's cooperation.

Michael's music was his gift to the world, and like any gift regardless of the quality, price, or time spent wrapping it the thought is what really counts. Michael spent time perfecting his gift wrapping skills while he was here because he could and didn't want to give the same gift that everyone else was, but he's not here to finish wrapping those gifts anymore but at least they've been bought are still in the closet just needing to be wrapped, is it really Will's place to say Michael would rather not give a gift if it can;t have perfect wrapping?

2 + 2 will always = 4. Unless of course one of those integers is a negative, but we won't go there.

No offence, but what are you getting this from?

When did I say Michael didn't or doesn't love his fans? I have no doubt that Michael loved his fans, he literally gave his life trying to please us and for that I will never stop doing my part to keep his legacy alive.

My argument here is if Will and Michael completed any tracks together, Will should really think about what was important to Michael while he was here. Michael loved his fans, he's authorized the release of demos before (The Anniversary Special Editions, The Ultimate Collection).

"In The Back" barely has lyrics, but Michael didn't have a problem with his fans being able to enjoy it. I think Will has gotten part of what Michael is about completely wrong. I personally have at least a hundred unreleased Michael song and demos, of those there is only 1 that Michael has ever expressed an issue publicly about.

Michael knew fans craved new music, and he equally craved to give it to us. His intentions just were that if he was going to release it, he would do it properly and when he was ready.

My point is if Michael was here to oversee and perfect every track to make it studio album worthy I could see why Will wouldn't assist Sony with putting the album out without Michael's cooperation.

Michael's music was his gift to the world, and like any gift regardless of the quality, price, or time spent wrapping it the thought is what really counts. Michael spent time perfecting his gift wrapping skills while he was here because he could and didn't want to give the same gift that everyone else was, but he's not here to finish wrapping those gifts anymore but at least they've been bought are still in the closet just needing to be wrapped, is it really Will's place to say Michael would rather not give a gift if it can;t have perfect wrapping?

2 + 2 will always = 4. Unless of course one of those integers is a negative, but we won't go there.

yes, it's Will's place. he's a very succesful producer. he knows something i would think.

as far as the perfect wrapping comment. Michael was the most criticized person in history. now..all of a sudden..sunshine lollipops and flowers..let's have it all..not wrapped perfectly? ok.

it's not up to us to determine the definition of Michael's love, and how he should give gifts.

one line i agree with you on...MJ has given enough.

we don't have to have EVERYTHING.

greed is never good. and rationalizing it as MJ lovvvved giving, doesn't pass the smell test.

MJ was a genius. but that doesn't mean we are meant to hear everything he has. that shouldn't need much more explanation.

no...we can't have everything we want. that's a tride and true statement.

i have yet to see a granite explanation for the attacks on Will I Am.

i submit to you, the statement you gave to me. you're going to pick and choose when a person of reknown, who has expertise in his field is worthy of your respect. Will I Am is worthy of respect. if he and MJ had an understanding...they had an understanding.

what impresses me about Will I Am is his humility. he ADMITS he doesn't have everything. these others, the cascios, etc. don't want to take that into consideration, and they don't seem to care about decorum...among other things...

Last edited:

I agree with what you said above.

yes, it's Will's place. he's a very succesful producer. he knows something i would think.

as far as the perfect wrapping comment. Michael was the most criticized person in history. now..all of a sudden..sunshine lollipops and flowers..let's have it all..not wrapped perfectly? ok.

it's not up to us to determine the definition of Michael's love, and how he should give gifts.

one line i agree with you on...MJ has given enough.

we don't have to have EVERYTHING.

greed is never good. and rationalizing it as MJ lovvvved giving, doesn't pass the smell test.

MJ was a genius. but that doesn't mean we are meant to hear everything he has. that shouldn't need much more explanation.

no...we can't have everything we want. that's a tride and true statement.

i have yet to see a granite explanation for the attacks on Will I Am.

i submit to you, the statement you gave to me. you're going to pick and choose when a person of reknown, who has expertise in his field is worthy of your respect. Will I Am is worthy of respect. if he and MJ had an understanding...they had an understanding.

what impresses me about Will I Am is his humility. he ADMITS he doesn't have everything. these others, the cascios, etc. don't want to take that into consideration, and they don't seem to care about decorum...among other things...

So it's Will's place to decide when and how Michael Jackson's estate releases future unheard tunes?
That's the most twisted logic I've heard all year. Personally, I'm tired of will.i.am's whinning. The tracks he worked on with MJ won't be on this album and will likely never see the light of day. So someone should tell him to have a Coke and a smile, and to shut the f#ck up. Seriously.

Michael Jackson -vocals are the true music, the most important ingredient in a song.
Will I Am music' is that filling that all these producers are kinda struggles to make, the same with others. Get in line buddy!

Maybe Mike wanted all the music to be his, clearly was not satysfied with the instrumental composition.

I know now who was the TRUE FORCE - even in producing , mixing, eve3rything!!

I think Will has a good point. I know that as fans we all would like to hear all the unreleased material and stuff, but on the other hand, after hearing all these copy and past songs that we have heard from the album in the last couple of days, I have to say I too doubt that Michael would have wanted these to be released in this form.

I am perfectly aware that this album is not Michael's vision and I accept it.
I really look forward to listen to all the unreleased material because I'm a fan of his and I want to hear anything comin' out of his mouth. I'll try to understand what he had in mind and separate it from the 2010 production.

Dear Will.I.Am, I don't care what you say. You probably already have a ton of CDs of Michael unreleased tracks and vocals.. of course you don't care having 10 more :)

I DO

I also agree with will.i.am. Michael would've never wanted these tracks to be released in their current form. What I've said from the start is this: If MJ wanted to produce and polish these tracks & vocals, he would've done so, and they would've been released. But he didn't, and this is why I will not be buying the album.

I wonder if Michael thought about what would happen with his music after he was no longer on earth? You know I do respect Will for his dedication and what not however everyone must continue to live life to the fullest and move on. If Will doesn't want to share his music he made with Mike then I can respect that however these negative interviews and tweets and what not is not very positive when this album needs to have all of the positivity directed to it and not take away from it. Michael I am sure would have wanted us to enjoy what is left of his recordings for years to come but Will isn't seeing the other side of the box, He is only hurting the album and it's success that it can potentially have.

Will's view is negative, What about the positive view?

i get what he's saying.. but at the same time.. I REALLY WANNA HEAR THOSE WILL.I.AM TRACKS!!!!!! haha...

-Dal

You aint lying...hes one of my favorite producers of this era....and would have loved to see what him and MJ cooked up together:yes:

I think we can all have an opinion about the release of any new material, whether they are unfinished demos or tracks completed by others. The problem is, none of us can know for sure what Michael would have said about that. From my point of view, all arguments are valid. Did he ever think about all this music he would leave behind? He didnt know he was going to leave so soon.
When I think about it, it makes me sad, all these amazing stillborn songs that we might never know about, that will be lost forever. How many did he still have in his head? On the other hand, is having them edited by other people honest to Michael's vision? I have no idea.
And that is when I feel the empty space he left, even more than usual.

How is it with other artists?

I know they released album(s) after Freddie Mercury's death as well. I saw all those videos on which Freddie sang mixed with a techno beat:

Songs like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22QCGBE6oLo&playnext=1&list=PLC66AF105B1EA7B45&index=47

And this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZTQhhGTSE8

Techno was very much in when these were released, but I doubt this was Freddie's vision about these songs. And especially "You don't fool me" is a pretty lame song, maybe he would have never released that.

So Michael won't be the first artist to be raped posthumusly, but it's sad.

“Michael Jackson songs are finished when Michael says they’re finished,”

This is definitely why the songs they are sending to our ears are NOT Michael Jackson songs.

I think its a tad hypocritical when allegedly will.i.am is using Michael's vocals for the new BEP album.

There is a big difference between using some of his vocals on your track and releasing a full album under his name.

I think that Sony should give him "an offer that he can not refuse". I think that around 10 mil will be enough for him, and if they gave Cascios 5 mil for these songs that we are hearing on MICHAEL 10 mil for will's songs are nothing!

I think he would sing different tune if he would got at least 1 song on the album. The same for the rest.

For real, among those people is a war, a battle field. I think it might went like this for months.... who's gonna get a piece on the first album of Mike after his demise.

This big thing, and for this apparently all those folks are fighting like crazy with each other, then propagating the conflict unto fans.

Back