Wikipedia describes which songs are live and which one are dubbed in This Is It.

Beat it is way too clear to be from 80s concert.

100% live IMO. Listen to how he sings "just beat it.. just beat it!" before the guitar solo.

I think that part was live, too. That does not mean that Michael's live vocals were used in the entire song.

Audio too clear to be from the 80's? That makes no sense. Professional live recordings from even the 70's sound amazing.

The fact about the vocals from the TII movie:

We all know wich songs Michael performed live and wich not. For example, TDCAU was never even rehearsed live. They used the original recording vocals as a playback. Billie Jean also was meant to be lipsynched. The vocals from the rehearsals were probably none (he didn't even sing) or the original ones. Earth Song's vocals on the rehearsals were the original ones too, from the History album. Knowing that...

When the sound designer got the footage, he probably thought it would be a good idea (or maybe it was asked by Ortega) to edit the vocals on all tracks so it would look live. The TDCAU vocals are from the original recording, but are equalized so it looks live. You can note that from the original phootage that was released before the film. On that phootage the vocals are not trying to look live at all.

The Billie Jean vocals are the originals too, but they edited it so it would match Michael's lips, wich makes me believe he wasn't even lip-syncing in the rehearsals. Again, it was equalized so it looks live.

The Earth Song vocals were completly removed and replaced by the demo ones, again for it to look live.

I don't know why they did that. The fans are not idiots, we know. We can hear everything. I have listened MJ like a million times. We know what we hear. Maybe it wasn't for the fans after all.

Most songs were live in the actual rehearsals and they were just dubbed for the movie. The songs I could think were playback originally are TDCAU like you said and Dangerous.

The whole movie This Is It is a lie. They only show the ''good'' parts. I watched an interview with Karen Faye where she said that the King wasn't able to do a whole song and that's why they've put 3 rehearsal together to make 1 whole song. Karen said that Michael only did 2 ballads in it's whole. I'm pretty sure that they won't let us see the other footage of the rehearsal. As far as I know is that Sony has more than 100 hours of footage of the rehearsals

The whole movie This Is It is a lie. They only show the ''good'' parts. I watched an interview with Karen Faye where she said that the King wasn't able to do a whole song and that's why they've put 3 rehearsal together to make 1 whole song. Karen said that Michael only did 2 ballads in it's whole. I'm pretty sure that they won't let us see the other footage of the rehearsal. As far as I know is that Sony has more than 100 hours of footage of the rehearsals
He was able to do full songs. Just watch IJCSLY, Beat It and Billie Jean. Also he seemed to be very good on June 23th.

Last edited:

Karen Faye is not reliable at all. And if she did say this then shame on her for spreading false info about Michael. He did do full songs even in the movie TII like pointed out in the above post, so it's obviously a lie.

Besides, remember that during the Murray trial Murray's lawyers asked for all footage from TII to go through. They wanted to find something to point to about what an extremely bad shape Michael was in etc. but they conceded they could not find any so they did not use TII footage at the end.

I think Beat It was live because there was an amateur recording from outside the Staples Center of the song, and MJ's voice was very similar to TII. In the same amateur recording source, Billie Jean was playback from studio.

Alternatively, it could be possible just the dancers were rehearsing and they were playing back a record during that recording.

Billie Jean was playback from studio.

Alternatively, it could be possible just the dancers were rehearsing and they were playing back a record during that recording.

But there are no back up dancers for Billie Jean.

I knew Human Nature was live and for Earth Song it was just dubbed the cherry picker scene. Anyhow, the live songs were superb, Michael was in better shape than on HIStory tour.

Back