Wikipedia describes which songs are live and which one are dubbed in This Is It.

Condor9333

Proud Member
Hey everyone i was surfing around web and i found that wikipedia describes which song is live and which one is dubbed in TII movie,is that what they write true?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jackson's_This_Is_It

Songs performed in the film[edit]

"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'"

Performed without the third verse.
The first verse was rehearsed.
Contains an a cappella snippet of "Speechless". Live vocals. Key transposed.

"Jam"

The second verse has been cut in the film, but was rehearsed as a complete song. The rap has also been cut down significantly in the film.
Contains a sample of "Another Part Of Me". Dubbed vocals.

"The Drill"

A military dance sequence which features samples of "Bad", "Dangerous", and "Mind Is The Magic". Instrumental dance performance.

"They Don't Care About Us"

Contains samples of "HISTORY", "She Drives Me Wild" and "Why You Wanna Trip On Me".
Part of this song was released during the days after Jackson's death; in this version the sample of "HISTORY" is the original with the Great Gate Of Kiev; in the final film version this was changed to a similar piece of music composed by Michael Bearden, the show's musical director. This alteration is due to orchestra copyright issues, but the Great Gate Of Kiev was supposed to have been used. Dubbed vocals.

"Human Nature"

Also played during an alternate video clip shown after the end credits.
Was rehearsed as a complete song, but first lines not recorded. Live vocals.

"Smooth Criminal"

Features a clip from Gilda where Jackson is digitally inserted into the video.
Includes the song "Put The Blame On Mame" from the film.
Includes scenes from Jackson's past films Moonwalker and the "HIStory Teaser"
The anti-gravity lean sequence is cut from the film, but was rehearsed. First verse, dubbed vocals. Rest of song, live vocals.

"The Way You Make Me Feel"

Performed with the slowed-down intro from the 30th Grammy Awards ceremony.
The first verse is performed after the intro, but this was not shown. It was only shown being performed in the intro.
Performed without second verse. Dubbed vocals (pitch lowered) with live ad libs.

"I Want You Back"

Part of The Jackson 5 Medley. Live vocals. Key transposed.

"The Love You Save"

Part of The Jackson 5 Medley. Live vocals. Key transposed.

"I'll Be There"

Part of The Jackson 5 Medley.
Performed with backing vocalist Daryll Phinnessee. Live vocals. Key transposed.

"Shake Your Body (Down To the Ground)"

Contains a sample of "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough."
Performed as an instrumental dance sequence with the chorus sung by the backing vocalists.
Jackson only appears at the end of the number; backing dancers show off their moves.

"I Just Can't Stop Loving You"

Contains an a cappella snippet of its Spanish version "Todo Mi Amor Eres Tu."
Duet with backing vocalist Judith Hill. Live vocals. Key transposed.

"Thriller"

Featured a new 3D video.
Contains samples from "Ghosts - Underscore" and "Threatened."
Was rehearsed as a complete song, but the intro was not featured in the film.
Contains the second rap verse by Vincent Price. Dubbed vocals.

"Beat It"

An instrumental version of "Who Is It" is played before the song showing the aerialists rehearsing.
The second verse, along with other parts of the song, were cut from the film, but was rehearsed as a complete song. Live vocals.

"Black Or White"

Performed without the second verse.
Features a new hard rock ending performed by Orianthi Panagaris and Tommy Organ. Live vocals.

"Earth Song"

Featured a new 3D video which was due to be shown on the LED backing screen at the live shows. Live vocals, then dubbed vocals from "What About Us" (Earth Song Demo).

"Billie Jean"

Features a few dubbed vocals from one of the songs original demos. Most of the song, live vocals.

"Man In The Mirror"

Performed as a sound check; the full song is not shown.
Was rehearsed as a complete song. Dubbed vocals with live ad-libs.

"This Is It"

Audio played during the end credits.
Featured The Jacksons as backing vocalists.

"Heal The World"

Remix with live instrumentation played during the end credits.
Was rehearsed as a complete song. Dubbed vocals (pitch lowered). Key transposed.

I seriously hate how they cut so many thing's out & dubbed so much of it too :/ very annoying.

I seriously hate how they cut so many thing's out & dubbed so much of it too :/ very annoying.

me too,i would rather have not perfect,whatever voice MJ have at the moment then those dubbed songs.
And the best thing is they say "For the fans",yeah right fans want dubbed song from album version they ve heard 1000 times,they dont want never heard last rehearsals,duh!

Some vocals were dubbed in because a lot of times during rehearsals Michael doesn't really sing that much. Just look at some of the Dangerous Tour rehearsals. A lot of times during that MJ sort of mumbles the words to himself and doesn't really sing.

Also if they did leave This Is It unedited the media would have had a field day with it. I can just see the headlines now ''W**o J*** too drugged up to sing at rehearsals''

Some vocals were dubbed in because a lot of times during rehearsals Michael doesn't really sing that much. Just look at some of the Dangerous Tour rehearsals. A lot of times during that MJ sort of mumbles the words to himself and doesn't really sing.

Also if they did leave This Is It unedited the media would have had a field day with it. I can just see the headlines now ''W**o J*** too drugged up to sing at rehearsals''

Well yeah,your right.
Dont get me wrong,TII movie had good vocals for average person who is not hardcore fan as we,so its good for mainstream they dont know if its live or not.
I just say what i would like to hear :)
But ttas normal,no one sings 100% in rehearsals,he said that multiple times in TII movie like "Im saving my voice..".
In Bad rehearsal of Smooth Criminal he mumbles also,and Dangerous rehearsals too.
''W**o J***-what that means?

The Wikipedia article is accurate.

As it's been stated, there are many moments in the original footage where Michael doesn't sing at all. They had to overdub it so it felt at least partially complete.

This is why we got a greatest hits album over a live album.

I don't think the article is completely accurate. Beat it vocals are from a Victory tour performance or something like that. It has some live ad-libs though. I'm pretty sure the verses and choruses of Earth Song were dubbed.

I suppose it doesn't really matter. I still can't watch This Is It after what we learned from the AEG trial about Michael's medical condition at the time.

I don't think the article is completely accurate. Beat it vocals are from a Victory tour performance or something like that. It has some live ad-libs though. I'm pretty sure the verses and choruses of Earth Song were dubbed.

I suppose it doesn't really matter. I still can't watch This Is It after what we learned from the AEG trial about Michael's medical condition at the time.

Beat It vocals are live. Not dubbed, not from Victory or any other tour.

Some errors in this wikipedia thing, not going to bother correct them right now

Beat It vocals are live. Not dubbed, not from Victory or any other tour.

I am not so sure. The This Is It version of Beat It sounds exactly like Michael in his 80's. For example:

I am not saying it's the vocals from this particular concert, or that Beat It was dubbed in its entirety in TII. Parts of Beat it are obviously live, when his voice sounds darker and rawer. The ad-libs during the dance break seem to be live and they sound great. I just think there's evidence pointing towards most of Beat It being dubbed in the film.

Already during the Bad Tour, Michael sang Beat It differently from how de did it during the Victory Tour. The sound is tougher, raspier and darker. The difference in style continued to evolve in the 90's. Listen to how he sang it in 1992 and 1996, and even the ad-libs from MSG 2001. I think it is very unlikely that his voice suddenly changed at the age of 50 right in time for his comeback shows.

Interesting article. Thanks!

Though I haven't watched this film in a long time. I saw it on premiere night and I watched it once after getting a copy on DVD. It makes me kind of sad to watch though.

What does "key transposed" mean? That they lowered/upped the key to make the make the song slower/faster?

Well yeah,your right.
Dont get me wrong,TII movie had good vocals for average person who is not hardcore fan as we,so its good for mainstream they dont know if its live or not.
I just say what i would like to hear :)
But ttas normal,no one sings 100% in rehearsals,he said that multiple times in TII movie like "Im saving my voice..".
In Bad rehearsal of Smooth Criminal he mumbles also,and Dangerous rehearsals too.
''W**o J***-what that means?
W**o J*** is/was the media nickname for Michael,which was W.a.c.k.o. J.a.c.k.o. The word is censored on this forum,and rightly so.He himself said the name was disrespectful in the Barbara Walters interview.

The Wikipedia article is accurate.

As it's been stated, there are many moments in the original footage where Michael doesn't sing at all. They had to overdub it so it felt at least partially complete.

This is why we got a greatest hits album over a live album.

Yea i was wondering whey they released new album that has all great hits and only 2 new songs and 4 demos

I am not so sure. The This Is It version of Beat It sounds exactly like Michael in his 80's. For example:

I am not saying it's the vocals from this particular concert, or that Beat It was dubbed in its entirety in TII. Parts of Beat it are obviously live, when his voice sounds darker and rawer. The ad-libs during the dance break seem to be live and they sound great. I just think there's evidence pointing towards most of Beat It being dubbed in the film.

Already during the Bad Tour, Michael sang Beat It differently from how de did it during the Victory Tour. The sound is tougher, raspier and darker. The difference in style continued to evolve in the 90's. Listen to how he sang it in 1992 and 1996, and even the ad-libs from MSG 2001. I think it is very unlikely that his voice suddenly changed at the age of 50 right in time for his comeback shows.

I think the same ,that most of Beat it is dubbed.
p.s. do we have that video on 2000 watts forum?

Wow. It was was only recently that I discovered that most of it was dubbed, not that I'm complaining. I feel they did a pretty good job on dubbing the vocals to be honest and if they had Michael barely singing, the tabloids would've ripped him apart, as others have said. I would've preferred This Is It to be a 'live' album using the vocals they used in the film though :)

The AEG Trials haven't affected how I watch the film in the slightest. I still love and enjoy the film! :heart:

still wanting to see complete unedited rehearsals though, including the unseen Song's! 'YANA, Will you be there, stranger in Moscow, heal the world, dangerous, dirty diana' etc.

still wanting to see complete unedited rehearsals though, including the unseen Song's! 'YANA, Will you be there, stranger in Moscow, heal the world, dangerous, dirty diana' etc.

yeah,me too

Beat it is way too clear to be from 80s concert.

100% live IMO. Listen to how he sings "just beat it.. just beat it!" before the guitar solo.

I don't know if this fits the topic of the thread, but there's one thing I've always wondered about since we know the final TTI setlist. I mean, does anyone else think with this high amount of songs and material, the show would have been way too long, probably way over 2 hours?

I mean, Michael's past tours usually contained between 15 and 18 songs and already pushed 2 hours and with TII, we have over 20 songs, some of them with long interludes (e.g. Smooth Criminal or Thriller) and long performances (e.g. Beat It). I can't imagine Michael would have wanted to perform more than 2 hours, but I can't see how it would have been possible to make the show any shorter without cutting songs from the list.

Beat it is way too clear to be from 80s concert.

100% live IMO. Listen to how he sings "just beat it.. just beat it!" before the guitar solo.

I agree and Michael's voice was in really good shape during This Is It. So it's understandable why some people would think that Beat It was dubbed from Victory Tour

I don't know if this fits the topic of the thread, but there's one thing I've always wondered about since we know the final TTI setlist. I mean, does anyone else think with this high amount of songs and material, the show would have been way too long, probably way over 2 hours?

I mean, Michael's past tours usually contained between 15 and 18 songs and already pushed 2 hours and with TII, we have over 20 songs, some of them with long interludes (e.g. Smooth Criminal or Thriller) and long performances (e.g. Beat It). I can't imagine Michael would have wanted to perform more than 2 hours, but I can't see how it would have been possible to make the show any shorter without cutting songs from the list.

I think many of the songs were supposed to be shortned in the TII show. Some songs put together as medleys etc. More entertaining this way.

I think many of the songs were supposed to be shortned in the TII show. Some songs put together as medleys etc. More entertaining this way.

i.e Black or White where they took the second verse(?) out.

^^Yep. It seems he was going to have a balance actually. Many songs were shortened (ie Jam and Heal The World were only 3-3.5 minutes), whereas other songs - TDCAU/HIStory/She Drives Me Wild - were put together to form medleys.

Then for his bigger, more renowned/elaborate pieces, he would allow them to run for the full length (if not longer). Songs such as Smooth Criminal, Thriller/Ghosts/Threatened, Earth Song and Billie Jean all ran over 6 minutes. Black or White was also over 6 minutes if you include that outro. Of course I'm not sure about the pieces we didn't see in the final cut of TII, such as Dirty Diana and Dangerous.

It's possible they would've changed the length of some songs as the tour went on, incase it was too much for Michael or something.

I wonder how much of Billie Jean is dubbed? Some parts do sound very much like this demo version:

It is also interesting that the part when Michael usually does the moonwalk is longer just like in the movie.

What does "key transposed" mean? That they lowered/upped the key to make the make the song slower/faster?

It means that they lowered the pitch so it would not be as high as the original, probably because MJ's voice had changed over the years and it was more difficult for him to sing in the original key.

The fact about the vocals from the TII movie:

We all know wich songs Michael performed live and wich not. For example, TDCAU was never even rehearsed live. They used the original recording vocals as a playback. Billie Jean also was meant to be lipsynched. The vocals from the rehearsals were probably none (he didn't even sing) or the original ones. Earth Song's vocals on the rehearsals were the original ones too, from the History album. Knowing that...

When the sound designer got the footage, he probably thought it would be a good idea (or maybe it was asked by Ortega) to edit the vocals on all tracks so it would look live. The TDCAU vocals are from the original recording, but are equalized so it looks live. You can note that from the original phootage that was released before the film. On that phootage the vocals are not trying to look live at all.

The Billie Jean vocals are the originals too, but they edited it so it would match Michael's lips, wich makes me believe he wasn't even lip-syncing in the rehearsals. Again, it was equalized so it looks live.

The Earth Song vocals were completly removed and replaced by the demo ones, again for it to look live.

I don't know why they did that. The fans are not idiots, we know. We can hear everything. I have listened MJ like a million times. We know what we hear. Maybe it wasn't for the fans after all.

Back