Why is michael jackson the king of pop?

Because he is simply the BEST!!!

I remember being at the taping of Michael's performance for the Soul Train awards in 95 with my Mother and my friend who werent even fans and as soon as Mike hit the stage I look to my sides and see my mom and friend screaming and crying and I was left in shock. Michael's talent is so enormous that no matter who you are if you experience it you are overcome with emotion and hooked for life. No one comes close to matching this man's talent and the energy he puts out specially during live performances. He is simply the BEST!!!

A, that's a great article you did. I learned alot of stuff from reading it, thank you for posting. Man, I loved that thing so much Imma copy/paste it into a word doc and save it for future reference:D Nice work.

King Of Pop, baby!!!!

It always reminds me of what Katherine Hepburn said about him on "The Legend Continues"...

"What makes him a star is he can do it, and you can't help looking at him."

UPDATE: After some new found info. I have changed some of the attendance figures for MJ's tours. Also I added some new info on some TV viewership and other stuff.

I also added and entire new section ot the article:

12.This Is It 2009-2010, would see Michael Jackson return to the music scene after a 7 year hiatus(due to various reasons in his personal life). From July 13, 2009 to March 6, 2010, Jackson is scheduled to perform 50 concerts to nearly one million people, at London's O2 arena. The shows, his first significant concert events since the HIStory World Tour in 1997, have been cited as one of the year's most important musical events. When the shows were first announced, there were only 10 planned. But due to the massive demand, concert promoters AEG had to add 40 more shows to the run, to mae a grand total of 50 shows at the O2. Jackson's official website allowed fans to register early for a "pre-sale" draw. The website could not deal with the large number of registrations—reportedly up to 16,000 applications a second. In the space of 24 hours, nearly a million people registered for pre-sale tickets, enough to fill the venue 50 times over. Fans from over 200 countries registered for the pre-sale draw. The two day pre-sale began on March 11, five of these dates were reserved in their entirety for the public sale. More than 1.5  million fans caused two sites offering pre-sale tickets to crash within minutes of going online. In the space of two hours, 190,000 tickets were sold. Two million people tried to buy pre-sale tickets in the space of 18 hours. Michael Jackson has floored his critics, and organizer's proclaimed it was a "cultural phenomenon". Jackson broke the previous record, for the number of shows performed by an artist at a single venue, which was set by Prince, who hosted a 21-date residency at the same arena. On March 13, the other 50% of seats for dates 1-45 and all the seats for dates 46-50 went on sale to the general public. Within a few hours, all 50 dates had sold out. Three records were broken in the process: "The biggest audience ever to see an artist in one city", "The most amount of people to attend a series of arena shows", "The fastest ticket sales in history".

well, the only reason he was the king of pop was cos Chris Brown hadnt graced the stage yet...

MJ use to be a genius, all respect to him. but his latest work is not something to go down in history:)
but I look forward to his consert anyway. moowalk!!!

How can you "used to to be a genius"? he was born with it. Even though record sales haven't surpassed thriller, his other records sales, on a bad day, make the newest, most popular entertainers sales pale in comparison.

Michael's record sales and accomplishments are very impressive obviously, but that's not the only thing that makes him "The King of Pop". I'm not a fan because he has the biggest selling album of all time and whatever else he's accomplished.

For me, Michael is KOP because he's simply the greatest . Not only is he an outstanding vocalist, but he's also a world class dancer and performer overall. He has proven himself to be a good songwriter as well. The thing is that some people are just good singers or just good dancers, but Michael has it ALL. His music is timeless, as is his image which i've always found interesting. How many other performers can be identified just by a dance move like the moonwalk or by a piece of clothing like the fedora or sparkly glove? You don't even have to see his face or hear his voice to know it's him, but as soon as you see those things, you know it's Michael. Michael has a very disctinctive voice, dance moves and overall look. There has NEVER been anyone like him and there will NEVER be. Watching him is like watching magic. Really fascinating and intruging performer and person as well. I've always found it fascinating as well to see how many people he has touched with his music and performances. Just look at lets say the video for "Man In The Mirror" and see people's reaction to him. People are crying and fainting left and right. It's not only women who are doing this either. He is the only one that can make grown men cry! lol. He just has that effect on people. It's incredible really how his music and how he as a performer has connected with people of all ages, races and backgrounds and for him to have been able to do that on such a global scale is really astounding.

Michael is just the TOTAL package. He is one of a kind. So many imitators, but there's only one Michael Jackson. I don't believe we'll see another star of his magnitude and talent for many years to come.

Last edited:
Michael is the King of Pop because of his contribution to the world of music ushered in a new era on how to promote an artist and their music.

1. Michael Jackson's "Thriller" singled handely save the record industy at the time. Thriller brought the foot traffic into the stores. When somebody purchased Thriller, they also purchased music from other artist.

2. He revolutionized the MUSIC VIDEO format from a creative standpoint. When you look at music videos, from Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, Brittney Spears, Usher, Chris Brown, Janet Jackson, Ciara, and many more, YOU ARE LOOKING AT A MICHAEL JACKSON VIDEO. Every last one of these artist has copied Michael Jackson. There is nothing that these people do that he hasn't done already.

3. Because of Michael's contributions to the music video, record companies had a more effective tool on how to promote record albums. Before Michael contributions, artist had to go on small junkets to promote an album. Or they would do small concert tours.

4. Michael was the first artist to have more than 3 singles released from one album. Before him, an artist would release 2 singles and the album was considered a major hit. Not anymore. Now it's considered a flop. And Michael is held to his own standard as well.

5. Michael made it possible for artist to crossover to other audiences. Before "Thriller", Michael Jackson was an R&B artist. He was not POP.

So he deserves the title of the King of Pop.

There's just noone deserving this title more... one could also say there's noone as much a genius in pop music actually.
Some discuss Mozart has been the king of pop in his time.
But I personally do think also there's noone out there at the moment who's close to being as much a genius in Pop music for now.

I just updated TONS of sections on the article.

Really worth the read.

KB50MJ, its cool that you posted the lists of achievements!

But show me a single person (who is not a MJ fan) who does know that and consider Michael as KOP by such achievements?
Show me a single news web site that informs about these achievements!

Who except the MJ fans does know what Michael has achieved and why he is (or should be KOP)???

Almost nobody, or the generation of the 80s and those who experienced Dangerous and HIStory tours!

Thats all! and thats SAD! we can set up many lists and be happy how Michael is successful, and... that he is better and more successful than the Beatles and ELVIS, but it means almost nothing for non MJfans, for ordinary people who see Michael as ... (you know what I mean)

KB50MJ, its cool that you posted the lists of achievements!

But show me a single person (who is not a MJ fan) who does know that and consider Michael as KOP by such achievements?
Show me a single news web site that informs about these achievements!

Who except the MJ fans does know what Michael has achieved and why he is (or should be KOP)???

Almost nobody, or the generation of the 80s and those who experienced Dangerous and HIStory tours!

Thats all! and thats SAD! we can set up many lists and be happy how Michael is successful, and... that he is better and more successful than the Beatles and ELVIS, but it means almost nothing for non MJfans, for ordinary people who see Michael as ... (you know what I mean)

Well there are some articles that do a good job at listing his achievements.

Like this one: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15529981/

thats quite fair, but it doesnt change the point!

Many have named Mj the #1 entrtainer of all time.

Liek Guinness, World Music Awards, the American Music Awards, the Bambi Awards, The BRIT awards even at one time said he was the biggest selling artist ever.

Many have named Mj the #1 entrtainer of all time.

Liek Guinness, World Music Awards, the American Music Awards, the Bambi Awards, The BRIT awards even at one time said he was the biggest selling artist ever.

Guinnes book is almost irrelevant!
World Music Awards - Artist of Millenium..., well... I dont know what it means!
AMA is quite right - Artist of the century, but such awards were presented to several other stars! for example Annie Lenox!!

Bambi A. means only German market! (its a media award)
Brit Awads presented a Generation Awards to Michael... in 1996!

Guinnes book is almost irrelevant!
World Music Awards - Artist of Millenium..., well... I dont know what it means!
AMA is quite right - Artist of the century, but such awards were presented to several other stars! for example Annie Lenox!!

Bambi A. means only German market! (its a media award)
Brit Awads presented a Generation Awards to Michael... in 1996!

How is Guinness irrelevant? They are a highly respected and trusted record publication. So why would they be irrelevant?

And the award from the World Music Awards was him being the biggest selling male artist of the millennium.

And the only Artist of the Century Award I've seen the American music awards give out were for MJ.

The only award for Annie that I saw was an Award of Merit for her work and her humanitarian efforts in 2008.

And as far as the BRIT Awards, yes it was jsut the Artist of the Generation award, but the presenter claimed MJ was the biggest selling artist ever.

Last edited:
Back