Why is michael jackson the king of pop?

KB50MJ

Proud Member
I have th ansewer to that question right here. This is an essay I have been working on for a while now. It is supposed to explain why Michael is the undisputed King Of Pop. I'm doing this because I've read a lot of articles and books on MJ's career, but none of them tells the whole staory and all of his accomplishments, and thats always bugged me. But now I get to do something about it.

I my honest opinion, this is the most compressive and most thorough article on Michael's accomplishments.

And more than likely you will learn A LOT of new stuff on what MJ has achieved. And it my dream to turn this article into a documentary.

I've used info from hundreds of sources. So its not possible to list them all, but I'd like to say thanks to all MJ boards and sites out there.

Its pretty long, but its worth the read.

Let me know if I missed anything or got something wrong. Or if there is something you don't agree with, just let me know.

Tell me what you think.

Its too long to post here, so here is a link to Maximum Jackson where I posted it: http://www.maximum-jackson.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=5138

Last edited:
All the books in all the world can't describe Michael. Michael is one of those people where words fail to describe properly. Michael is the King Of Pop simply because hes the best and no one no matter how hard they try will come close. Just like there will never be another Elvis, There will never be another King Of Pop.

No book, no word, not a thousand words, not a single person, not a million people can descrpie MJ. One can try of course!

But Michael Jackson is The one and only!

I have tha answer to that question right here. This is an essay I have been working on for a while now. It is supossed to explain why Michael is the undisputed King Of Pop. I'm doing this because I've read a lot of articles and books on MJ's career, but none of them tells the whole staory and all of his achomplishments, and thats always bugged me. But now I get to do something about it.

I my honest opinion, this is the mosy comprensive and most thourough article on Michael's achomplishments.

And more than likley you will learn A LOT of new stuff on what MJ has achived.

I've used info from hundreds of sources. So its not possible to list them all, but I'd like to say thanks t oall MJ boards and sites out there.

Its pretty long, but its worth the read.

Let me know if I missed anything or got something wrong. Or if there is something you don't agree with, just let me know.

Tell me what you think.

Its too long to post here, so here is a link to Maximum Jackson where I posted it: http://www.maximum-jackson.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=5138

Good job, this would be a great read for casual fans.

Just want to mention that the title itself began as "King of Records" in the press (early 1980s) and the MEDIA crowned him the "King of Pop" (and also the "King of Rock and Soul") in early 1984 after the GRAMMYs. This was years before Elizabeth Taylor crowned him the "King of Pop, Rock and Soul."

Just want to mention that the title itself began as "King of Records" in the press (early 1980s) and the MEDIA crowned him the "King of Pop" (and also the "King of Rock and Soul") in early 1984 after the GRAMMYs. This was years before Elizabeth Taylor crowned him the "King of Pop, Rock and Soul."

Thanks for the comments guys.

And TSCM, wow I didn't know he was called that before Liz Taylor did.

Any way this is a GREAT article for any new fans out there who want to know why MJ is #1.

And it my dream to turn this article into a documentary.

Thank you KB50MJ. That was a good and highly informative read. Well done. :)

In much simpler terms, I think Michael Jackson is the King of Pop because he has dancing moves, lyrics, vocals, and ideas that are so unique and awe-inspiring. He's been an inspiration to millions of people over his long career and will never be topped by another single recording artist, well, ever. And the most exciting part? He's still as brilliant today as he ever was and he fully intends to release new music and perform!

Thank you KB50MJ. That was a good and highly informative read. Well done. :)

In much simpler terms, I think Michael Jackson is the King of Pop because he has dancing moves, lyrics, vocals, and ideas that are so unique and awe-inspiring. He's been an inspiration to millions of people over his long career and will never be topped by another single recording artist, well, ever. And the most exciting part? He's still as brilliant today as he ever was and he fully intends to release new music and perform!

Thanks. But The problem with that is that his dancing, singing, and other stuff is all based on personal opinion.

I mean some people thing Hillary Duff is the greatest artist ever.

The only way we can call MJ the King Of Pop and back it up is by knowing his achievements.

You're quite right. Your facts-driven analysis on Michael's career is impressive to say the least and proves, objectively and beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Michael Jackson is the king of pop. I've thought about writing something similar before but I never got around to it. Thanks again for your essay. It's good to have all of Michael's various accomplishments in one place. Saved for future reference.

MJ use to be a genius, all respect to him. but his latest work is not something to go down in history:)
but I look forward to his consert anyway. moowalk!!!

because.

and also, because naysayers attend his concerts.

because there are people who accuse him of 'casting a spell on them'. and those people aren't ashamed to come across as haters.

and because his success rate is so great, there are some who don't believe that there are others who would go to any length to bring him down, although people like that have tried.

and because the media has been furiously trying to crown others to replace him.

and they have been unsuccessful.

because all his 'old' stuff, and later songs sound newer than anything on the radio, today. when one of his songs is played on or off the radio, it sounds like the speakers just breathed a sigh of relief, along with listeners, such as myself.

Last edited:
Wow... really hard to answer. Well, Michael is incredible throughout the whole work: magic, talent, charisma, creativity, intelligence, beautiful voice, professionalism, the unconditional love for their fans, their enigmatic dance and many other qualities make it a complete artist. Only the name "Michael Jackson" already shows a great potential of this great artist and man. I'm sure there is never another artist like him. Michael is single and inrreplaceable and definement the "King of Pop" and that there is no question about it! The world will never know another artist like Michael. :)

Because he is the greatest, the biggest star this planet have ever seen and will ever see.

He is a pure genius, and to the one saying he used to be. That may be your opinion, but others disagree. And I am one of them. I think that the best work Michael has done came after Thriller. Thriller is not as good as the sales tell. Don`t get me wrong its a brilliant album, but MJ has done better with Bad and Dangerous. And on History he had what is in my opinion his best song yet, Earth Song. Invincible is a production masterpiece. It is what it was ment to be. Michael does more then create hits for us to enjoy. He invents music and takes it to levels never done before. Just remember that the sound on Invincible can only be fully experienced with proper speakers. No other artist had done that before Invincible. It is not enough to simply have power, you need technology of sound to listen to it. I know, because I have done so. And believe you me that there is a vast difference listening to the album on ordinary systems and listening to it on high tech systems that cost a monthly salary.

And now he wants to make more hits with a new album. This time the music itself has the focus. These are all different stages of his artistic development. Michael does not record music for albums or radiostations, he creates music because that is what he does. If he wants to make money out of it, he releases it. But he never creates a song just to make money. That is the mark of a true artist.

What Michael has done, and still do is something that is pure and natural. It is unique and lives on its own, without the need for anything else.

To understand music, dance and true magic like MJ does, is why he is the King Of Pop in my opinion. What he has given everyone, and still thrives to give, is a gift from life itself, for us to experience.

Remember him always, because your grand kids will ask who he was, just like some of you asked who Elvis was to your parents. Because you witnessed the human race second Mozart, Michael Jackson. You will probably never see anything like it in your lifetime, but someday another prodigy child will be born and the world will see magic again. But it only happens a few times during human history.

Make no mistake, the very reason why Michael has suffered so much these past years is because of who he is, what he does and what he owns. Alot of people can`t handle that and will try to sabotage it.

The haters who trash his good name, does so because he is what they will never be, larger then life.

It is human nature to belittle those of our kind who is better then ourselves.

Michael is a human being like you and me, but still not like you and me.

He is the King Of Popular Music And Culture

Last edited:
Because he is the greatest, the biggest star this planet have ever seen and will ever see.

He is a pure genius, and to the one saying he used to be. That may be your opinion, but others disagree. And I am one of them. I think that the best work Michael has done came after Thriller. Thriller is not as good as the sales tell. Don`t get me wrong its a brilliant album, but MJ has done better with Bad and Dangerous. And on History he had what is in my opinion his best song yet, Earth Song. Invincible is a production masterpiece. It is what it was ment to be. Michael does more then create hits for us to enjoy. He invents music and takes it to levels never done before. Just remember that the sound on Invincible can only be fully experienced with proper speakers. No other artist had done that before Invincible. It is not enough to simply have power, you need technology of sound to listen to it. I know, because I have done so. And believe you me that there is a vast difference listening to the album on ordinary systems and listening to it on high tech systems that cost a monthly salary.

And now he wants to make more hits with a new album. This time the music itself has the focus. These are all different stages of his artistic development. Michael does not record music for albums or radiostations, he creates music because that is what he does. If he wants to make money out of it, he releases it. But he never creates a song just to make money. That is the mark of a true artist.

What Michael has done, and still do is something that is pure and natural. It is unique and lives on its own, without the need for anything else.

To understand music, dance and true magic like MJ does, is why he is the King Of Pop in my opinion. What he has given everyone, and still thrives to give, is a gift from life itself, for us to experience.

Remember him always, because your grand kids will ask who he was, just like some of you asked who Elvis was to your parents. Because you witnessed the human race second Mozart, Michael Jackson. You will probably never see anything like it in your lifetime, but someday another prodigy child will be born and the world will see magic again. But it only happens a few times during human history.

Make no mistake, the very reason why Michael has suffered so much these past years is because of who he is, what he does and what he owns. Alot of people can`t handle that and will try to sabotage it.

The haters who trash his good name, does so because he is what they will never be, larger then life.

It is human nature to belittle those of our kind who is better then ourselves.

Michael is a human being like you and me, but still not like you and me.

He is the King Of Popular Music And Culture

that's a terrific post. especially what you say about Invincible and speakers and technology and the full use of speical sound systems and how Invincible sets the precedent in exploiting those systems. i used a good system and heard stuff that i didn't know existed in music, thanks to Michael, and that Invincible album.

it was a thorough and new and enjoyable listening experience that prompted me to buy thirteen copies...partly cus i mysteriously lost some, and partly cus i couldn't do without that sound.

Well to put it mildly, Invincible is an album for sound geeks, like myself.

Yeah its a shame for those who can`t afford expensive systems and I sympathise.

But Michael knew that and did it anyway. It is what an artist does. Takes risks and leaps others would not dare to do. Michael is so into being a pioneer, doing things for the first time.

And he had done videos, dancing, singing, all the different music styles, themes. He has done it all, so what is left to do but to do what has not been done yet, right? Well a new age of music saw daylight during the late 1990`s

The digital age. And music follows where technology leads. And Michael Jackson will be the first person to try it out. After Invincible, all albums made by high profile artists and bands, followed what MJ did.

I remember MJ even hiring a Norwegian company who used to make sound systems, to create a new type of system capable of playing his new music to the fullest. He used their high tech systems to develope the music. I have listened to music on some systems these guys made, and I can tell you that music never sounded the same after that.

If you only knew how much you can manipulate sound, you would have a new hobby right away. And Michael knows this and has the dough to do it. Off course he would make a geek album at one point, lol.

Invincible is music for geeks. Gotta love it, lol!

All good artists make an experimental album at one point.

Especially The King Of Pop.

Michael Jackson is the greatest, most accomplished, successful, popular, awarded artist the world has ever known! He has been at the top since he started his career decades ago and continues to rule the hearts of his ever-growing fan base!!! His records actually set world records! His popularity is unmatched, his creative genius is unparalleled and the beauty of his heart and soul is unquestionable! The world has been in the grip of Michael mania and continues to be fascinated, awed, mesmerized by the absolute brilliance, glory, light of Michael Jackson! he is a true inspiration to the world in numerous ways! Michael Jackson is a blessing from God to the world!
He truly is the KING of POP forever!!! So proud to be a Michael Jackson fan:)!

Michael Jackson is featured many, many times in the Guiness book of World Records!

Guinness Book Of World Records states this regarding Michael Jackson:
Lifetime Achievement Award for most world records in the world of entertainment!
That alone says it all!

Add to that the fact that he is also the only artist to be associated with the max no. of charities too!

We love you Michael! May God bless you always!
Thankyou for being the Light that you are and for inspiring us to do good, be good, make this world a better place!
You are and will always be my spiritual guru! Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou...

Last edited:
HISTORY OF RECORDS CONCERNED TO MICHAEL JOSEPH JACKSON

2000:
- the most quantity of records concerned to a person listed ever in Guinness Book of Worldwide Records:
10 - Guinness Book of Worldwide Records 2000/Millenium Edition;
- the biggest selling international (outside USA) album of 90s/decade:
"Dangerous" - 20 million international retail sales;
- the second biggest selling international album of all time:
"Dangerous" - 20 million international retail sales, after "Thriller" 27 million copies internationally sold at retail;
- the biggest selling international artist/group of 90s/decade:
Michael Jackson - more than 70 million albums internationally sold;
- the biggest selling artist/group of decade:
Michael Jackson - 123 million records, including 95 million albums were sold at retail this decade;
- the biggest selling male solo album of 90s/decade:
"Dangerous" - 26 million copies sold at retail with total shipments about 30 million copies worldwide;
- the biggest selling rock song of 90s/decade:
"Black Or White" - 5 million copies worldwide;
- the most copied song of 90s/decade:
"Black Or White" - 53 million copies worldwide (30 million shipt with "Dangerous" album, 18 million shipt with "HIStory - Past,Present and Future - Book I" and 5 million singles were sold at retail);
- the most copied rock song of 90s/decade:
"Black Or White" - 53 million copies worldwide;
- the second most copied rock song ever:
"Black Or White" - 53 million copies worldwide. It is second result to "Beat It" - 76 million copies (56 million shipt with Thriller", 18 million shipt with "HIStory - Past, Present and Future - Book I" and about 2 million singles sold at retail)
- the third biggest selling male solo album of 90s/decade: "HIStory - Past, Present and Future - Book I" - 15 million copies at retail (18 million wholesale shipt);
- the biggest selling boxed set/double album of 90s/decade:
"HIStory - Past, Present and Future - Book I" - 15 million copies at retail (18 million wholesale shipt);

1999:
- the biggest price ever paid for award on auction:
$1,542,500 - paid by Michael Jackson for the best picture Oscar for "Gone With The Wind".
- the most hits for a single online broadcast:
10 million; "Michael Jackson and Friends"
Munich charity concert; expired;
- largest number of charity organizations supported by a singer:
39 - Michael Jackson supported 39 charity organizations, either by donations to support their projects or by participating in their anonymous auctions. Amongst these organizations are: AIDS
Project L.A., American Cancer Society, BMI Foundation, Inc., Childhelp USA, United Negro College Fund (UNCF), YMCA - 28th Street/Crenshaw, The Sickle Cell Research Foundation and
Volunteers of America;

1998:
- the biggest selling remix album of all time:
"Blood On The Dance Floor/HIStory In The Mix", 4.6 million copies;
- the most quantity of artist/group's records sold
during album promotion campaign ever:
"HIStory - Past, Present and Future - Book I" has brought up to 65 million records: 54 million albums and 11 million singles;
- the biggest music industry project ever:
"HIStory - Past, Present and Future - Book I" has brought about $1.1 billion to music industry;
- the biggest music industry artist/group project ever:
Michael Jackson - more than $5 billion total industry income;
- the biggest investment contract by artist/group ever:
$1.5 billion investments in 50% of Jackson-Barden Enterprises Worldwide;

1997:
- the most international artist ever:
100 million albums outside USA - the first and the only achievement;
- the biggest attendance on Wembley Stadium:
1 million for 15 shows from 1988 to 1997. UK;
- the biggest artist/group tour in Germany ever:
"HIStory World Tour", attendance - 650 thousand. Germany;
- the biggest artist/group tour ever:
"HIStory World Tour", attendance - 4.5 million;
- the biggest selling remix album in UK:
"Blood On The Dance Floor/HIStory In The Mix", more than 500 thousand copies. UK;
- the second biggest entertainment-concerned charity act ever:
"Diana Tribute" two disc boxed set - $84 million. Michael Jackson contributed "Gone Too Soon" song for the boxed set;

1996:
- the biggest award show TV-audience in UK ever:
16 million viewers - "Brit Awards". Michael Jackson was present at the awards ceremony and performed. UK;
- the biggest selling box set/double album of all time:
"HIStory - Past, Present and Future - Book I", 11 million copies sold to early 1996;
- the biggest selling box set/double album of all time in UK:
"HIStory - Past, Present and Future - Book I", 1.1 million copies sold to early 1996. UK;
- 5 categories - "Best Selling Record of All Time" (Thriller),
"Best Selling Male Artist of 1995", "Best Selling American Artist", "Best Selling R&B Artist", and "Best Selling Artist ever";
- the biggest stage and best characteristics ever to
provide tour performances:
"HIStory World Tour"; partially expired;
- the most expensive concert outfit:
"HIStory World Tour" - undisclosed figure;

1995:
- most expensive album promotion campaign in history:
"HIStory - Past, Present and Future - Book I" - Jackson's record
company Sony reportedly spend US$ 40 million on the release of the album in the USA, Great Britain, Italy, Australia, Japan, South Africa and the Netherlands. Amongst the promotional campaigns was a 9.1 m high, inflatable statue of the star on the
Tower Records building in Hollywood (USA), a huge sign at the Times Square, New York City (USA), and another statue which was floating down the Themse in London (GB) on a barge;
- the most expensive album cover image ever:
"HIStory - Past, Present and Future - Book I" - $1 million;
- the most expensive video of all time:
"Scream" - around $7 million; expired in 1996 with "Ghosts" video;
- highest debut of a song on the US Billboard Hot 100 Singles Charts:
#5 - "Scream". Michael Jackson thus broke a 25-year old record set by The Beatles, whose single "Let It Be" debuted at #6 in 1970; expired only weeks later by Michael Jackson's own single "You Are Not Alone" which debuted at #1. USA;
- the fastest selling box set/double album ever:
"HIStory - Past, Present and Future - Book I" - 7.5 million copies were sold within the first 37 days;
- highest debut of a song on the US Billboard Hot 100 Singles Charts ever:
"You Are Not Alone" - #1. USA;
- longest period between first and last #1 hit in the career of a solo artist on the US charts in history:
22 years and 11 months - Michael Jackson had his first #1 hit as a solo artist in October 1972 with "Ben" and his last #1 song was "You Are Not Alone" in September 1995. Before his first solo
#1 Jackson furthermore had 4 #1 hits as the lead singer of The Jackson 5. The first #1 of the group was "I Want You Back" in 1970 - that summarizes a time period of unbelievable 25 years. USA;
- the biggest music publishing deal ever:
merging of Michael Jackson's ATV Publishing and Sony Publishing in Sony/ATV Publishing with equal share and total cost up to $1 billion. Michael Jackson was paid $110 million for this transaction;
- the biggest earnings of artist in one year:
at least $120 million from sales of Michael Jackson's records;
- most quantity of an artist/group's albums sold in one year ever:
30 million - Michael Jackson;

1994:
- the biggest selling male solo album of decade:
"Dangerous" - 23 million copies sold at retail worldwide;
- the biggest selling international album of decade:
"Dangerous" - 17 million copies outside USA at retail;
- the most quantity of artist/group records sold during album promotion campaign ever:
"Dangerous" has brought 57 million records: 40 million albums and 17 million singles; expired with "HIStory - Past, Present and Future - Book I" box set campaign ending in 1997;

1993:
- the biggest TV audience ever:
"US Super Bowl XXVII" (January 1993) - 133.4 million viewers.
Michael Jackson performed a spectacular half-time show at the event. USA;
- the biggest TV talk show audience ever:
"Michael Jackson talks to... Oprah" - 100 million. USA;
- the #4 biggest TV audience ever:
"Michael Jackson talks to... Oprah" - 100 million. USA;
- largest number of singles released ever from an
album ever:
"Dangerous" - 9 singles: "Black Or White", "Remember The Time", "In The Closet", "Who Is It", "Jam", "Heal The World", "Give In To Me", "Will You Be There", "Gone Too Soon";
- the biggest quantity of singles sold during album promotion:
17 million copies - "Dangerous" album promotion (9 singles);
- the biggest artist/group tour in Mexico:
"Dangerous World Tour" - 5 shows with more than 500 thousand attendance and $12 million income. Mexico;
- the second biggest entertainment-concerned charity act ever: around $70 million of net income from "Dangerous World Tour"; expired with 1997' "Diana Tribute" project, in which Michael
Jackson contributed "Gone Too Soon" song for the boxed set;
- largest deal in music publishing history:
administration of ATV Publishing (Michael Jackson's music catalogue) was moved from MCA Music to EMI Music Publishing for reportedly US$ 200 million - with an up-front payment of US$ 100 million;
expired in 1995 with ATV-Sony deal;

1992:
- the biggest selling rock song single ever:
"Black Or White" - 5 million copies;
- the most expensive video outfit:
"Remember The Time" - undisclosed figure;
"Dangerous World Tour"; expired;
- the biggest cable TV audience:
"Dangerous World Tour" concert from Budapest, approximately 250 million;
- the most paid concert ever:
"Dangerous World Tour" concert from Budapest - $20 million paid by HBO;
- the biggest selling artist of al time:
300 million records combined to late 1992;
- best-selling album of 1992:
"Dangerous";

1991:
- the most expensive outfit's element:
Michael Jackson's glove - $29 thousand;
- the most worth artist/group ever:
around $3 billion - estimated by Sony Corporation [Japan] during negotiating with MJJ Productions; profits and risks from release of six albums were considered;
- the biggest entertainment contract ever:
$890 million - between MJJ Productions/Mijac Music/MJJ Ventures/Optimum Production and Epic Records Group/Sony Music Entertainment/Sony Corporation [Japan]/Warner Timerlane/Warner
Chappell). It is about 15 years, six-albums and films. Michael Jackson received a US$ 18 million payment in advance for the forthcoming album plus US$ 5 million bonus for each album.
Furthermore he will receive US$ 1 million per year being the CEO of his own record label, Nation Records;
- the most paid artist/group ever:
at least 25% is from sales;
- the biggest audience ever to view a music video:
"Black Or White" - around 500 million during its first worldwide broadcast on November, 11 of 1991;
- highest-climbing single on the US Billboard Pop Singles charts since "Let It Be" by The Beatles:
"Black Or White" - it climbed from #35 to #3. In 1970 "Let It Be" climbed to #2. USA;
- shortest time-period to reach #1 on the US Pop Singles charts:
3 weeks - "Black Or White". The single sold 500,00 copies within this time period. The single thus equals The Beatles' "Get It Back" which reached #1 that quickly in 1969. USA;
- highest airplay of a music video on MTV:
"Black Or White". USA;
- fastest-selling album in GB in history:
"Dangerous" - more than 200,000 copies sold in 3 shopping days (estimation by Sony Music Entertainment). UK;
- the fastest selling album of all time: "Dangerous" - 14 million copies were sold within the first 37 days after the album's release;
- first and only artist/group in history to have #1 hits on the US Billboard charts in the '70s, '80s and '90s:
Michael Jackson. USA;
- first and only voice in history to be in #1 hits on the US
Billboard charts in the four decades: 7th (1961-1970), 8th (1971-1980), 9th (1981-1990), 10th (1991-2000):
Michael Jackson. USA;

1990:
- the biggest selling artist/group of decade:
100 million Epic solo records sold during 80s (excluding Motown's records);
- the biggest selling album of 80s/decade:
"Thriller" - 41 million copies sold at retail;
- the second biggest selling album of 80s/decade:
"Bad" - 21 million copies sold at retail;
- the most copied song of 80s/decade:
"Billie Jean" - 44 million copies (41 million in "Thriller" album and about 3 million singles);
- the most copied rock song of 80s/decade:
"Beat It" - 43 million copies (41 million in "Thriller" album and about 2 million singles);
- highest price paid for a painting in the world of subject still living ever: $2.1 million - paid by Hiromichi Saeki Corp. for Brett-Livingstone Strong's painting "The Book" - a painting of Michael Jackson;
- the most quantity of #1 hits of the '80s in USA:
10 - "Rock With You", "Billie Jean", "Beat It", "Say, Say, Say", "We Are The World", "I Just Can't Stop Loving You", "Bad", "The Way You Make Me Feel", "Man In The Mirror", "Dirty Diana". USA;

1989:
- the biggest artist/group's tour ever:
"Bad World Tour" - 4.4 million attendance; expired with "HIStory World Tour" in 1997;
- the biggest earnings from tour ever:
"Bad World Tour" - $125 million; expired;
- highest-paid entertainer of 1989 by "Forbes" magazine:
Michael Jackson - estimated earnings of $125 million;
- the most expensive sponsoring project:
"Bad World Tour" for Pepsi Co. - $10 million; expired with $12 million for "Dangerous World Tour"in 1993;
- the biggest selling music video ever:
"Moonwalker" - 2 million copies;
- the biggest selling music video ever in USA:
"Moonwalker" - 700 thousand copies. Within 2 weeks after its release "Moonwalker" outsells "The Making Of Thriller" which was the best-selling music video beforehand. Thus Michael Jackson has the #1 and had #2 spot in this category. USA;
- first artist with 3 consecutive albums that spent a hundred or more weeks on the charts in GB:
With "Off The Wall", "Thriller" and "Bad" Michael is the 5th artist (after The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, Phil Collins and U2) to achieve this goal. The Dire Straits are leading in this
category with 5 such albums. UK;
- most hits from a single album ever:
9 - "Bad" album: "I Just Can't Stop Loving You", "Bad", "The Way You Make Me Feel", "Man In The Mirror", Dirty Diana", "Another Part Of Me", "Smooth Criminal", "Leave Me Alone", "Liberian Girl";
- the second biggest selling solo album of all time:
"Bad" - 20 million copies to 1990; expired;
- the biggest selling artist's album of all time in UK:
"Bad", 3.2 million copies to 1989. UK;

1988:
- highest grossing at the Kemper Arena, Kansas City (USA):
$700,000 - for 2 sell-out concerts (February 23 and 24) during the "Bad World Tour". The previous record was held by Elvis Presley with US$ 500,000. USA;
- first advertisements to be aired in the Soviet Union (USSR; now Russian Federation as assignee):
Michael Jackson's Pepsi commercials. USSR;
- the most-watched commercial in advertising history:
"Chase," a four-part Pepsi ad featuring Michael Jackson in his first-ever episodic commercial, airs during the Grammy awards;
- the most expensive rights on book publishing:
$5-15 million paid by Doubleday Publishing to Michael Jackson for autobiographical book "The Moonwalk";
- first artist to have 3 albums in the USA with sales of more than 6 million copies each:
Michael Jackson - "Off The Wall", "Thriller", and "Bad". USA;
- fastest-selling video in GB in history:
"Michael Jackson: The Legend Continues...". UK;
- highest figure paid to a commercial spokesperson in history:
$12-15 million - paid by Pepsi Co. in March 1988 to do four TV commercials;
- most concert dates played at the Wembley Stadium, London (GB) ever:
7 - "Bad World Tour" (July 14-16, 22-23). The sell-out concerts were attended by 504,000 people. UK;
- most successful concert series in history:
Total attendance: 504,000 - achieved during 7 "Bad World Tour" concerts in a row at the "Wembley Stadium", London (GB) (July 14-16, 22-23). UK;
- highest concert attendance at Aintree Raceground, Liverpool (GB) ever:
125,000 people - Michael Jackson's "Bad World Tour" concert. UK;
- largest tour in GB in history:
"Bad World Tour" with a total attendance of over 800,000 people - grossing more than 13 million Pounds. UK;
- highest quantity of #1 consecutive hits from one album on the US Billboard Hot 100 Singles charts:
5 - "Bad" album: "I Just Can't Stop Loving You", "Bad", "The Way
You Make Me Feel", "Man In The Mirror", "Dirty Diana". USA;
expired;
- highest quantity of #1 consecutive hits on the US Billboard Hot 100 Singles charts:
6 - "We Are The World", "I Just Can't Stop Loving You", "Bad", "The Way You Make Me Feel", "Man In The Mirror", "Dirty Diana".USA;
- first artist to have 4 #1 singles from one album in history of USA:
from "Bad" - "I Just Can't Stop Loving You", "Bad", "The Way You Make Me Feel", "Man In The Mirror"
Only the soundtrack album "Saturday Night Fever" was also able to release 4 #1 singles. USA;
- highest quantity of #1 consecutive hits on the US Black Singles charts from one album:
5 - Michael Jackson's "Bad" & Janet Jackson's "Control". USA;
- highest number of #1 hits on the US Black Singles charts in history:
9 - Michael Jackson. USA;
- longest time period in history that an album spends on the Top Five of the US Billboard Pop Album charts in history:
"Bad" - 38 weeks. This breaks a previous record of 26 weeks which was held by The Eagles ("Hotel California"). USA;
- highest-paid entertainer of 1988 by "Forbes" magazine:
$97 million;

1987:
- the most quantity of orders-in-advance for an album ever:
"Bad" - undisclosed figure; expired;
- fastest-selling album in GB in history:
"Bad" - 350,000 copies sold in 5 shopping days;expired with "Dangerous" in 1991. UK;
- the longest video ever:
"Bad" - 18 minutes; expired with Meat Loaf's video (28 minutes) in 1996 and further by "Ghosts" (39 minutes);
- highest number of countries where an album reached #1:
25 countries - "Bad";
- largest attendance at the Tokyo Dome (Tokyo/Japan):
"Bad World Tour" (December 9-11, 17-19, 24-26). Attendance was reported to be four times greater than for any other tour;
Japan;
- the biggest artist/group's tour ever in Japan:
"Bad World Tour" - 450 thousand in 14 concerts. Japan;
- best-selling album of 1987:
"Bad";

1986:
- the most expensive video/movie per minute ever:
"Captain Eo" - $30 million for 17 minutes film;

1985:
- the fastest selling single of all time:
"We Are The World" - 800 thousand copies were sold in the first week of release. USA; expired;
- the biggest selling single of all time:
"We Are The World" - more than 6 million copies; expired;
- the biggest entertainment-concerning charity act ever:
"We Are The World" - $60 million raised. The biggest
result ever taking into account inflation - equal to $90m for 1999;
- the biggest selling music video in UK ever:
"The Making Of Thriller" - 130 thousand copies to 1985. UK;
expired with "Moonwalker" in 1989;
- the biggest selling music video ever:
"The Making Of Thriller" - 1 million copies to 1985; expired
with "Moonwalker" in 1989;

1984:
- largest number of American Music Awards for an artist in one year in history:
8 - Award of Merit, Favourite Pop Album ("Thriller"), Favourite Soul Album ("Thriller"), Favourite Pop Single ("Billie Jean"), Favourite Pop Video ("Beat It"), Favourite Soul Video ("Beat
It"), Favourite Pop/Rock Male Artist, Favourite Soul Male Vocalist. USA;
- youngest artist to receive the American Music Awards of Merit in history:
- the least number of week needed to reach the US Billboard Hot 100 Singles Charts Top Ten:
"Thriller" single ties with John Lennon's "Imagine" (1971) - 2 weeks. USA; expired finally with 1995's "You Are Not Alone";
- most Grammy awards and nominations for an artist in a single year in history: 8 and 12, respectively. Awards: Album Of The Year ("Thriller"),
Best Pop Male Vocal (""Thriller"), Record Of The Year ("Beat It"), Best Rock Male Vocal ("Beat It"), Best R&B Male Vocal ("Billie Jean"), Best New Song Of The Year ("Billie Jean"), Producer Of The Year (Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones), Best
Children's Recording ("E.T. : The Extra Terrestrial");
- first artist/group to receive both the NARM Gift Of Music Awards for "Best Selling Album" and "Best Selling Single" ever:
"Thriller" album and "Billie Jean" single, respectively. USA;
- the most expensive artist/group's advertising contract ever:
Pepsi Co. - undisclosed figure; expired with 1988' and 1991' Michael Jackson's contracts;
- record attendance at the Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City (Missouri/ USA):
attendance: 135,000 - during 3 sold-out shows of the "Victory Tour" (The Jacksons). The previous record was 58,000 (1977).USA;
- fastest-selling tickets in New York (USA):
The Jackson's Victory concerts dates at Giants Stadium (July 29-31) and Madison Square Garden (August 4-5) - 165,000 tickets were sold in less than 9 hours. USA; expired;
- best-selling tour tickets:
1.1 million tickets for The Jackson's "Victory" tour sold in just 2 months;
- first human-being to received 2 stars on the Walk of Fame in history:
Michael Jackson - one as a member of The Jacksons, one as a solo artist. USA;
The Jacksons' "Victory Tour"; expired;
- highest-grossing concert tour ever:
The Jacksons' "Victory" tour -$75-90 million; expired;
- the biggest selling album of all time:
"Thriller" - 30 million copies;
- the biggest selling album of all time in USA:
"Thriller" - 18 million copies. USA; expired;
- the biggest artist/group's single advertising contract:
LA Gear - $20 million;
- highest quantity of singles from an album that reached the US
Billboard Pop Singles charts Top Ten:
7 - " The Girl Is Mine", "Billie Jean", "Beat It", "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'", "Human Nature", "P.Y.T", "Thriller". The previous record had been 4 Top Ten singles. USA;
- longest time period that an album by an artist - which is no soundtrack - spends on the US Pop Contemporary Album charts in history:
37 weeks - "Thriller". Thus it beats the record established by Harry Belafonte's album "Calypso". Only soundtrack albums stayed on the #1 spot longer than "Thriller": "The Broadway Cast Album
For South Pacific" (69 weeks) and "West Side Story" (54 weeks). USA;
- best-selling album of 1984:
"Thriller";

1983:
- first album in history to be #1 on the charts in USA and GB simultaneously:
"Thriller". USA, UK;
- first song/single in history to be #1 on the US Billboard's Rock Albums, Rock Singles as well as R&B Albums and R&B Singles charts simultaneously:
"Billie Jean" single. USA;
- the youngest artist to have 10 million copies of one album sold in USA:
Michael Jackson, 25 years. USA; expired;
- the youngest male artist to have 10 million copies of one album sold in USA:
Michael Jackson, 25 years. USA;
- the most expensive video ever:
"Thriller" - $800 thousand; expired;
- the longest video ever:
"Thriller" - 14 minutes; expired with "Bad" in 1987;
- the most quantity of awards and nominations to
artist/group ever:
more than 50 certifications in one year;
- the most quantity of songs of an artist in US Billboard Singles charts Top Ten in single year:
7 songs - "The Girl Is Mine", "Billie Jean", "Beat It", "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'", "Human Nature", "P.Y.T", "Say, Say, Say". USA;
- first and only album in history to start and end a year at #1 of the US Billboard Album charts:
"Thriller"; USA;
- best-selling album of 1983:
"Thriller";

1980:
- first solo artist to release 4 Top Ten singles from one album in the USA:
Michael Jackson - "Off The Wall": "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough", "Off The Wall", "Rock With You", "She's Out Of My Life". USA;

1973:
- first black group to tour Australia in history:
Jackson 5; Australia;

1972:
- the youngest artist ever to have Billboard awards:
Michael Jackson - 2 awards. USA;
- record attendance at the Liverpool Empire's (GB):
Jackson 5 - during their first tour in GB. The record had previously been held by "The Beatles". UK;

1970:
- the youngest voice to be on #1 hit in USA:
- the first artist/group to have four consecutive #1 hits in USA:
NAACP Image Awards: Best Singing Group of the Year - The Jackson 5 (January)

Billboard Magazine Awards:
Names Michael Jackson as Top Singles Artist
Top Singles Male Vocalist of the year. (December)

Golden Globe Awards:
"Ben"

NAACP Image Awards:
Male Vocal Group or the Year: The Jackson 5

'Sixteen' And Spec Magazine (Annual Gold Star Awards):
Best Singer (Michael Jackson)

NAACP Image Awards:
Best Singing Group of the Year - The Jackson 5 (January)
Grammy Awards:
Best Pop Song, "ABC"

NAACP Image Awards:
Best Singing Group of the Year - The Jackson 5 (January)

Golden Globe Awards:
"Ben"

NAACP Image Awards:
Male Vocal Group or the Year: The Jackson 5

'Sixteen' And Spec Magazine (Annual Gold Star Awards):
Best Singer (Michael Jackson)
Best Single Of The Year ("Rockin' Robin")
(February 26)

The National Academy Of Recording Arts & Sciences:
Best Rhythm and Blues Vocals (Jackson 5)

U.S. Congress:
Special Commendation For Positive Role Models

Key to the City of Buffalo
The Jackson 5 receive the Key to the City of Buffalo from Mayor Stanley Makowski.

The Organization Of African Unity:
For strengthening Afro-Americans (Jackson 5)

Congressional Black Caucus
The Jackson 5 are made Honorary Members of the Congressional Black Caucus.

American Music Awards:
Favorite Male Soul Artist - Michael Jackson
Favorite Soul Album, "Off The Wall"
Favorite Soul Single, "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough"
(January 18)

Billboard Awards:
Number 1 Top Black Artist of The Year.
Number 1 Black Album Of The Year 'Off The wall'.
Number 2 Top Pop Male Artist Of The Year.
Number 3 Top Pop Album Of The Year 'Off The Wall'.
Number 2 Top Black Single Of The Year 'Rock With You'.
Number 4 Top Pop Single Of The Year 'Rock With You'.
(December)

Cashbox:
Soul Album of the Year, "Off The Wall"

Grammy Awards:
Best R&B Performance, "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough"
(First Grammy as a solo performer, Feb. 27)

Hollywood Walk of Fame:
Jacksons receive a Star on the Hollywood Blvd. (Sep. 3)

NAACP Image Awards:
Best Singing Group Of The Year - The Jacksons

American Music Awards:
Favorite Male Vocalist - Soul/R&B
Favorite Album - Soul/R&B, "Off The Wall"
(Jan. 30)

Billboard Magazine Year End Charts (Shows The Jacksons ranking):
Number 10 Top Black Album 'Triumph'.
Number 10 Top Black Artist.
Number 4 Top Dance Artist.
Number 4 Top Audience Response for 'Can You Feel It'.
(December)

British Phonographic Industry Awards:
"Off The Wall" Album

Cashbox:
Soul Album of the Year, "Off The Wall"

NAACP Image Awards:
Best Singing Group of the Year - The Jacksons
(January)

Billboard Awards
Pop Album of the Year - Thriller
Pop Artist of the Year
Black Album - Thriller
Black Artist of the Year
Pop Album Artist
Pop Male Album Artist
Pop Male Singles Artist
Black Album Artist
Black Singles Artist
Pop Singles Artist
Dance/Disco Artist
Dance/Disco 12" LP - Billie Jean
Dance/Disco 12" LP - Beat It

Billboard Year End Chart:
Best Selling Singles of the Year: 'Billie Jean' (2), 'Say, Say, Say' (4), 'Beat It' (8), 'The Girl Is Mine' (20).

Billboard Video Awards
Best Performance by a Male Artist
Best Overall Video - Beat It
Best Performance by a Male Artist Best Choreography - Beat It
Best Use Of Video To Enhance Artist's Song - Beat It
Best Use Of Video To Enhance Artist's Image - Beat It

Black Gold Awards
Top Male Vocalist
Best Album - Thriller
Best Single of the Year - Billie Jean
Best Video Performance - Beat It
Black Radio Artist Of The Year Award
(July)

Black Radio Exclusive Awards:
Artist Of The Year

Cashbox
Number One Male Artist
Top Black Male Artist
Top Pop Album: Thriller
Top Black Album: Thriller
Top Male - Singles Artist
Top Black Male - Singles Artist
Top Pop Single - Billie Jean
Top Black Single - Billie Jean

Rolling Stone
Readers Poll - #1 Artist of the Year
Readers Poll - #1 Soul Artist
Readers Poll - #1 Video - Beat It
Readers Poll - #1 Producer (with Quincy Jones)
Critics Poll - #1 Artist of the Year
Critics Poll - #1 Video - Beat It
Critics Poll - #1 Male Vocalist
Critics Poll - #1 Soul Artist

International Awards:
Album Of The Year - U.K, Japan, Australia, Holland
Artist Of The Year - U.K, Italy, Japan
International Artist Of The Year - Brazil
Record Of The Year - Greece
Best Male Vocalist - Japan
Most Important Foreign Album - Spain
Single Of The Year – Australia

American Music Awards
Special Award Of Merit - Michael Jackson (youngest artist to receive this award)
Favorite Album-Pop/Rock - Thriller
Favorite Album-Soul/R&B - Thriller
Favorite Male Vocalist - Soul/R&B
Favorite Male Vocalist - Pop/Rock
Favorite Single-Pop/Rock - Billie Jean
Favorite Video-Pop/Rock - Beat It
Favorite Video-Soul/R&B - Beat It
(Jan. 16)

American Video Awards
Best Long Form Video
Best Home Video
(MJ wins four of the eight categories)

Bravo Magazine
Gold Otto Award

Gabon (Africa):
National Honor Of Merit Award

Guinness Book Of World Records:
Largest Entertainment Contract Ever ($890 million)

International Monitor Awards:
Music Video With The Best Special Effects ("Black Or White")

Music Video Producers' Hall Of Fame:
"Beat It" and "Billie Jean" are inducted

National Association of Black Owned Broadcasters
Lifetime Achievement Award

National Honor Of Merit Award

Operation One To One Award
(For efforts in helping disadvantaged youth)

Point Of Light Ambassador
Given by George Bush, President of U.S.A

Pro-Set Los Angeles Music Awards:
Best Pop Male Vocalist
Video Of The Year ("Black Or White")

Smash Hits Awards:
Best Male Vocalist

American Music Awards
Best Pop/Rock Album - Dangerous
Best Soul/R&B Single - Remember The Time
Special International Artist Award for record sales and humanitarian efforts around the world. (In the future, the award will be known as The Michael Jackson International Artist Award)

ASCAP:
Best R&B Awards for "In The Closet," "Rembember The Time," and "Jam"

Bravo Magazine
Gold Otto Award

BMI Award
Most Performed Songs of The Year - Black or White, Remember The Time

Echo Awards
Best International Artist of the Year

Grammy Awards
Living Legend Award

Guinness Book Of World Records

Jack The Rapper Award:
Our Children, Our Hope Of Tomorrow Award (at this ceremony, this particular award is also renamed in Michael Jackson's honor)

NAACP Image Awards
25th Silver Anniversary Entertainer Of The Year Award
Outstanding Music Video - Black or White

NARM: (National Asscociation of Recording Merchandisers)
Best Seller Award 1992 for Best Selling Urban Music Recording Male ("Dangerous")

RTL Television Award (Germany):
Ehren Loewen

Soul Train Awards
1993 Humanitarian Of The Year Award
Best R&B Single - Remember The Time
Best R&B Album - Dangerous

World Music Awards
World's Best Selling Pop Artist
Best Selling American Artist
World's Best Selling Artist Of The Era

Bravo Magazine
Gold Otto Award

Cable Ace Awards
Outstanding Musical Special - HBO special, and Dangerous concert from Bucharest

Children's Choice Awards
Caring For Kids Award (100,000 children from the New York area voted for Michael)

Crenshaw Community Youth And Arts Foundation
Humanitarian Award

MTV Movie Awards
Best Song in a movie - Will You Be There

Pop Rocky Magazine
Favorite Singer of The Year

Smash Hits Awards
Best Male Vocalist

America's Most Favorite Singers Poll (Harris Poll):
Michael Jackson is the 10th Most Favorite Singer in America in 1995

Power Of Oneness Awards:

Radio Music Awards
Humanitarian Award. Michael is the first-ever recipient of this award. (Oct. 27)

Honour award-President of the United States of America:
President George Bush presents Michael with the award of being the biggest influence on America in history. Michael's song "Beat It" was run in the ads against drunk driving and it stopt the road toll of death caused by drink driving by 90%!
Pepsi made the most sales they had ever made in history during the period in which Michael appeared in the world famous Pepsi commercial.

American Music Awards:
Billie jean - Best selling single of all time (worldwide)
#1 Soul, Rock and Pop Artist of all time (worldwide)
Best selling Artist of all time (worldwide)
Best entertainer of all time (worldwide)
Most successful concerts of all time (worldwide)

Internet Worldwide Top 100 Male Stars
# 1 Male Star

Rolling Stone

Readers Poll - #1 Artist of A Lifetime
Readers Poll - #1 Soul Artist of all time
Readers Poll - #1 Pop Artist of all time
Readers Poll - #1 Rock artist of all time
Readers Poll – Billie Jean - Best song of all time

Michael Jackson inducted into the UK hall of fame

The public has chosen one act to represent each decade since the 60’s as part of a new UK television show. Michael Jackson was chosen for the 1980’s.

Michael Jackson crowned music ambassador for the 60s, 70s, 80’s, 90’s and 2000
Michael was chosen from a group of nominees including Prince, REM, George Michael and The Smiths to be crowned music ambassador for all 5 decades. No other artist in history besides Michael has had #1 hits for 5 decades.

Michael Jackson awarded’ the most famous and biggest icon of all time’
Michael Jackson has been awarded for being the most famous and biggest icon of all time.
For over 5 decades the whole world has looked up to Michael Jackson, He was a star at age 4 and now is a billionaire superstar crowned the king of pop.

Michael Jackson The 1st Most Popular Men This Year

Based on billions of searches conducted by Google users around the world, Google released it's 2004 Year-End Zeitgeist. This offers a unique perspective on the year's major events and trends.

Just like in the past years Michael Jackson was the #1 most favourite searches on Google.

Based on all the Google searches Mr. Jackson was the 1st "Most Popular Men" in 2004!

As well Mr. Jackson became the 1st "Top Public Figure" last year!

Mr. Jackson was the 2nd "Most Popular Men" in Norway!

HOT LIST OF THE TOP CELEBRITIES OF 2004

1. Michael Jackson

2. Oprah Winfrey

HOT LIST OF THE TOP CELEBRITIES OF 2003

1. Michael Jackson

I don't get all the lists and stuff?.... I don't go by what other people say or where he ranks on lists to know hes a great artist. People seem unsatisfied if they don't list something and make people think he should be #1 all the time.

Michael is number one for a reason. He's, in the words of Tina Turner, Simply The Best. I don't need a list to know that. He is number one because of who he is, what he does, and how he does it. If that's not what a number one artist is then i don't know.

I know you get off on stats and all that but can't we like him for who he is and not where he places on a list of any sort?

I agree with Oprah, "that title is beneth him. Michael is much more".

Listen to just one of his albums - then you've got the answer actually!

He is a musicly genius!

Back