why do he always wear mask?

*Little Suzie*

Proud Member
Blood-On-The-Dance-Floor-Era-michael-jackson-7281188-1000-800.jpg

Dont get me wrong... i just never knew about it why he did it :I
Sometimes he do not wear it, sometimes he do.. why??

Because Michael has felt shy on some days. The mask has given him security.

Part of the reason could have been that he had to protect his skin from the sun cause of his vitiligo. Carying an ambrella all the time can be a drag lol

Its because if he wears that he can keep a little bit of privacy to himself, so the media wouldn't be able to get snapshots of his face. Its all in Moonwalker but my memories a little sketchy now becuase I read it a long time ago.

as a kid I thought he wore them cause it made him look cool!.. no seriously, growing up my friends and I thought he looked awesome with those masks! It was just another thing that only mike could wear and nobody else.
I think he said so himself, that he liked wearing them!

But of course as I'm sure you'll notice, there are plenty of theories as to why he really wore them and no real answer. :cheeky:

I think the mask was a trademark thing, like the white glove. It added to the mystery of Michael Jackson.

Its because if he wears that he can keep a little bit of privacy to himself, so the media wouldn't be able to get snapshots of his face. Its all in Moonwalker but my memories a little sketchy now becuase I read it a long time ago.
Yeah, I read this too!

This is from the book

I've been accused of being obsessed with my privacy and it's true that I am. People stare at you when you're famous. They're observing you and that's understandable, but it's not always easy. If you were to ask me why I wear sunglasses in public as often as I do, I'd tell you it's because I simply don't like to have to constantly look everyone in the eye. It's a way of concealing just a bit of myself. After I had my wisdom teeth pulled, the dentist gave me a surgical mask to wear home to keep out germs. I loved that mask. It was great - much better than sunglasses - and I had fun wearing it around for a while. There's so little privacy in my life that concealing a little bit of me is a way to give myself a break from all that. It may be considered strange, I know, but I like my privacy.

Yeah, I read this too!

This is from the book

I've been accused of being obsessed with my privacy and it's true that I am. People stare at you when you're famous. They're observing you and that's understandable, but it's not always easy. If you were to ask me why I wear sunglasses in public as often as I do, I'd tell you it's because I simply don't like to have to constantly look everyone in the eye. It's a way of concealing just a bit of myself. After I had my wisdom teeth pulled, the dentist gave me a surgical mask to wear home to keep out germs. I loved that mask. It was great - much better than sunglasses - and I had fun wearing it around for a while. There's so little privacy in my life that concealing a little bit of me is a way to give myself a break from all that. It may be considered strange, I know, but I like my privacy.

Thank you for this!

I can't stand it when there's so much speculation about his mask...He wanted his privacy, just a little bit...Something that everyone takes for granted everyday...No one really understands what it was like to be him....Being that famous...

Not saying your speculating MJForever94...I meant the media

I think maybe it's because his privacy (what he said in the book) , vitiligo covering and cover for plastic surgery (the nose etc) :)

mj used the words razzle dazzle when talking about the mask once to a reporter

I think the mask was a trademark thing, like the white glove. It added to the mystery of Michael Jackson.

^ That is the answer to the question Michael Bush (MJ's clothing designer) gave.
The mask, the finger tape, the armband - everything is there for you to notice and ask "Why?!".

Edit: Yehh, I remember Michael Lee Bush said that ^^

Alongside the creation of personal privacy for when he was wearing them, I believe he may have worn them to create mystery. In my opinion mystery is the greatest thing a star can have it creates interest and buzz..everyone talked and speculated about his masks. He really was clever.

Similar type of thing (kind of) as the hyperbaric chamber.. that was Michael himself who started that rumour and posed in one of the chambers he was donating to a burns hospital.. he was playing about with the media. I can imagine it could be fun to play about and it be all over the papers internationally the next day.

MJ was the master, there is too much reality going on nowadays.. I like the old school kind of fame that came with intrigue.

Everyone whether they liked him or not talked about and wanted to know about Michael Jackson.

Last edited:
Can you imagine every time you walk out the door, loads of paparazzi's in your face taking pictures of you. I'd want to cover as much as possible, because all they are going to do is take a "bad" photo of him and write nasty things :evil: :(

However, I personally find it attractive :shifty:

I agree with many have said: privacy, vitiligo, protecting himself from germs, fashion statement. lol There's so many reasons he wore it. lol I loved when he sported it. It sparked mystery for me and that just makes me more fascinated with him. I even want some masks of my own. lol :)

I think the mystery thing is brilliant. I never thought I would miss a surgical mask as much as I do now, hehe.

Some say he took the mystery thing too far. The mask only managed to draw even more attention to him by gawkers and paparazzi. So he kind of created his own prison of fame. That is what some people say.

Because that's just Michael. Maybe it could have been for privacy and to protect himself against germs and other things, but as someone said the mask was something that made him even more mysterious. It was part of his trademark.

I personally find the mask sexy to be honest lol. Only Michael could pull that off btw. Anyone else would look so ridiculous to me, but MJ managed to look sexy with it.

Can I be totally honest?

I've always thought that all those "why does he do that" things basically relate to the song Human Nature.

If they say, why? why?
Tell them that is human nature!

protecting himself from germs,
lol good ole tabloid rubbish.thats why he hugged anyone and everyone. i guess he slept in a hyperbaraic chamber aswell!

Personally I think he wore a surgical mask because of lupus, chronic autoimmune disese. Lupus rush appears on face and it has sort butterfly shape. Surgical mask would cover it. But he didn't wear it all the time though. I think when he had no indication of lupus on his skin he didn't wear it.Poor Michael.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemic_lupus_erythematosus

lol good ole tabloid rubbish.thats why he hugged anyone and everyone. i guess he slept in a hyperbaraic chamber aswell!

In the end....the hyperbaric chamber was a 'fun lie' made by MJ and wasn't it Frank Dileo, they told it to the tabloids...thought it was innocent fun. I heard from someone that either Frank or Michael himself admitted that.

Didn't that rabbbi guy said he told Michael that he shouldn't wear the mask so much and that Michael said he liked it, it made him look mysterious and all that. But Michael's explanation in Moonwalk says it all, really. And what about his crazy costumes to remain incognito...it was very sad that he had to do it, but i think in a way he enjoyed it. I know we fans laughed alot about pictures where MIchael was completely incognito, wearing a green outfit and sunglass and mask. He was barely recogniseable.

It's really too bad that the hyperbaric chamber and elephant man's bones 'fun lies' backfired hardcore =/

As for the mask, I never knew it was for privacy. I always thought it was Vitiligo. I never seem to stop learning new things about this man!

Back