Why didn't Michael release " On the Line"

Yeah Babyface puts his backing vocals all over alot of songs he writes, another example is YOU ARE MY LIFE on INVINCIBLE.

thats the point!!!!!!!!!:yes:
I don't like Babyface's background vocals on Michaels songs,its soo annoying.
Not that i dislike Babyface in general but I just want to hear Michael not him, I can't even explain I don't feel comfortable with B backing vocals :unsure:
If I could hear YAML wihout Babyface

although I like OTL very much

The song is pretty good, but I don't think it could be high in the charts, because of the lyrics.

What do you mean?

And someone said the song is maybe "too generic". Some people need generic songs, all of the people just can't handle something extremely "new". And so it's "easy listening".

And usually generic is proved to include good ideas.. Good for ears overall.

Many times the best songs are "generic" with only two or three tricks. That's right, there are no tricks in "On The Line" but as a generic song it's almost as good as the song can be.

Many times the best songs are "generic" with only two or three tricks. That's right, there are no tricks in "On The Line" but as a generic song it's almost as good as the song can be.
Nothing wrong with the song itself, but I've heard LOTS of Babyface or LA & Babyface productions, and this song doesn't really stick out and sounds like a lot of Babyface's other stuff. It has nothing to do with him singing the background vocals like some others have said, but the sound.

It was released on that soundtrack and then it was on that collector's single in the box.

I love those Babyface songs back then. That album "The Day" is amazing and this song reminds me of it.
The song was in the movie, but it wasn't on the soundtrack.

ON THE LINE is very beautiful song, I'm very happy that I have this Minimax CD in my collection.

the song was only intended for the film which artists have done over the years and in the opening of the film get on the bus Spike Lee says the King of Pop"on the line".

now also "On the Line" was cut and submitted to MJ the same time Babyface submitted "Why" to 3t. both songs orginally were offered for the "HISTORY" Project but MJ gave Why to 3t and then kept on the line for the film.

Becouse SONY, they didn't released - On the line, Unbreakable, Speechless, Break of dawn, What more can I give..... Destoying Michael's career wasn't easy, but they menaged it. Michael's career is out now and forever....

Last edited:
Back