Why didn't Michael release " On the Line"

Thriller_MJ

Proud Member
I've been thinking alot about this and i still havnt came to a conclusion as to why Michael didn't release this fantastic song it would have done so well on the charts :smile: he really should have released it mayby he thought it was too much like MITM

On The Line was released on the sound track for the movie Get On the Bus. (Think that's the right movie title - it was a good movie though :yes: )

He did. It was on the Ghosts limited edition boxed set. In it there was 2 CDs: the Blood on the Dance Floor: HIStory in the Mix CD album and a minimax CD that contained On the Line.

i believe it was to do with his contract with sony. he couldnt release it at the time of the movie ie on the soundtrack because it would have been a different labels release.

That was the only MJ song on it. It was a good movie about the Million Man March in Washington D.C. It went though the individuals stories. Been a long time since I've seen it though lol mainly remember it was good.

I've never heard of this song.....*goes song hunting* lol *sighs* being a new fan is such hard work! I get *new* music lol the one consolation of being new.

You can get that song on the Ultimate Collection Box Set (4 CD + 1 DVD).
If you are a new fan, this is the perfect xmas gift for u :)

It was released on that soundtrack and then it was on that collector's single in the box.

I love those Babyface songs back then. That album "The Day" is amazing and this song reminds me of it.

i never heard of that movie what is it about and are there more mj songs in it

It was a Spike Lee movie, as such it doesn't really translate to other countries. I don't know if many of his movies are released outside of the USA.

Last edited:
Here's some info on it from For The Record:

ON THE LINE
Written by Babyface, and originally recorded by Michael for the Spike
Lee movie, Get On The Bus, but not featured on the soundtrack album.

Lead track of a 3-track ‘minimax’ CD single, released as part of the
‘Deluxe Collector Box Set’ of Ghosts in December 1997 in the UK (no
USA release). Box set also included Michael’s Ghosts mini-movie on
home video and his BLOOD ON THE DANCE FLOOR album on CD.

Full length version included on Michael’s THE ULTIMATE
COLLECTION box-set, issued in November 2004.
Featured on a Columbia Pictures Get On The Bus promo CD, along
with Over A Million Strong by the Neville Brothers, as a potential
Oscar nominee, for Best Original Song.

It's a beautiful song. :yes: Not sure why it wasn't released as an "actual single" though. :unsure:

Guess we'll never know. :scratch: I didn't know about this song until 2001 because I wasn't really following Michael like that back then.

Last edited:
I actually never played it till after I got the Ultimate collection. :lol: I didn't want to ruin the "mint condition" of my minimax cd. :lmao:

I love this song. Every now and then, I go to youtube and listen to it over and over again. Michael's voice is so beautiful on it.

It sounds like a typical Babyface song, which is probably why it wasn't released as a single. Babyface's sound doesn't vary much.

It's a decent song, but I can see why Michael didn't release it as a single. It's not really single material imo, I could not have seen this doing well on radio or on the charts. The song is too generic. Pretty much any r&b singer could have sang that song.

i looooooove this song. it was played @my nephews promotion..yall kno i was tryin 2 stay contained lol

It sounds like a typical Babyface song, which is probably why it wasn't released as a single. Babyface's sound doesn't vary much.
Yeah Babyface puts his backing vocals all over alot of songs he writes, another example is YOU ARE MY LIFE on INVINCIBLE.

love this song and babyfaces music of the mid 90's from boyz11 men and take a bow with madonna.

On The Line was release on Ghost De Lux Box

This is the single picture:
ontheline.jpg

Last edited:
Back