Who is the best female/or all around singer/vocalist ever?

PopPrince89

Proud Member
Who is the best singer of all time? (not justified by sales, numbers or popularity but VOICE & TALENT ALOOONEE)

The obvious contenders are Whitney, Mariah, Celine & Aretha...Other mentions might be Patti LaBelle, Christina Aguilera, Chaka Khan

in my book...WHITNEY by far is the best singer ever!! She can blow withouT flaws!!!!

Best female singer ever? I would say Barbra Streisand and Patsy Cline. Best overall, I have to give it to Michael, based on everything from range to style, to control to versatility and most importantly to quality. Michael has the most beautiful and dynamic voice.

Some examples:

Streisand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rSA0Va-xTQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrwQaCOms24&feature=related

Cline:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4Qq8UuvrUk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkkM7K6smQA&feature=related

Last edited:
For me it's Whitney :wub: I've been watching her live performances lately and she's so amazing. Wish she'd come back :wub:

My favorite is Minnie Riperton. When she was with Rotary Connection she did some crazy stuff, lol. After that I'd go with Chaka Khan, Aretha Franklin, Deniece Williams, & Teena Marie. The best groups to me are En Vogue and The Emotions. My mom and grandmother listened to gospel, so I'll throw in Mahalia Jackson too. Cecilia Bartoli, Denyce Graves, and Kathleen Battle are some great ones as well

Here is Denyce Graves doing Habanera
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V9woZuVIO4
Cecilia Bartoli ~ Sposa son disprezzata
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr3WNaMJMA8

Last edited:
Hmm. There are many people with brilliant voices but this would have to come down between Celine Dion and Whitney Houston. I don't think I could pin it down just to just one person. Both Whitney and Celine have had such amazingly stunning moments.

Best female singer ever? I would say Barbra Streisand and Patsy Cline. Best overall, I have to give it to Michael, based on everything from range to style, to control to versatility and most importantly to quality. Michael has the most beautiful and dynamic voice.

No doubt Michael is the greatest tahts ever lived..but r u saying hes a better singer/vocalist than Whiteny Houston or Aretha Franklin or Celin Dion..if you were to judge on the voice alone??

I couldn't justly say he's better then Celine, though the quality of his voice is more beautiful. I will say though that he's better then Whitney, much better. Based on all of the elements I've listed, range, control, style, versatility, and quality, he's better then Whitney. I don't want to make anyone angry by telling them they're wrong. I'm just stating what I think and what I know. Whitney is fairly limited in her range and style. When she sings outside of her comfort zone, she has a very difficult time controling her voice, and she's limited in the type of music she's able to wrap her voice around. Her quality is beautiful, but one dimensional. She sounds the same on every note.

I find Aretha to be great, but just slightly overrated. She has great range and control, but she's boring to me and I don't find her voice to be beautiful at all.

Michael is vastly underrated, because he isn't a belter, he doesn't sing big, though bet you're life on it he could. Range equals power, and Michael's got a huge range. And because he isn't often percieved as just a pure vocalist, he doesn't get the credit he deserves. But his range equals any of those woman you've listed, and is actually better then most, his ability to adapt and adjust his voice to any genre and style is practically unmatched, his styling and timing is the best I've ever heard, down to his phrasing, and of course, the quality of his voice is so pure, so rich with dimension and so clean that it's impossible to say anyone has better quality. So overall, yes, I would put Michael at the top. I would tie him with Barbra Streisand I think, just in terms of pure voice. In terms of pure voice combined with being a great singer, Michael is tops though.

Last edited:
Hmm there are a lot. Of course we can state the obvious:

Whitney Houston
Mariah Carey
Barbara Streisand
Aretha Franklin
Celine Dion

But honorable mentions go to:

Minnie Riperton
Xtina Aguilera (once she learns less is more)
Teena Marie
Deniece Williams
Natalie Cole
Phyllis Hyman
Sade
Anita Baker

I probably would have said Michael before I got into Stevie Wonder. I think Whitney is the best female vocalist, she's quite stunning.

After hearing Stevie live in concert on a few occasions now and really digging his stuff the last three or four years (and of course some of his more popular hits long before that), he really takes the cake. I was seriously an MJ fanatic for a long time and never thought I would would pick someone over him, but Stevie's voice is quite incredible. The way he can get his voice up so high without ever breaking into falsetto is amazing. His ad-libs and the stuff he does vocally off the top of his mind without even having to think about is just awesome.

Last edited:
I would say
men: Michael Jackson and Freddie Mercury
women: Barbra Streisand, Celine Dion and Whitney Houston.

From female artists it's definitely Whitney for me. :yes:

I probably would have said Michael before I got into Stevie Wonder. I think Whitney is the best female vocalist, she's quite stunning.

After hearing Stevie live in concert on a few occasions now and really digging his stuff the last three or four years (and of course some of his more popular hits long before that), he really takes the cake. I was seriously an MJ fanatic for a long time and never thought I would would pick someone over him, but Stevie's voice is quite incredible. The way he can get his voice up so high without ever breaking into falsetto is amazing. His ad-libs and the stuff he does vocally off the top of his mind without even having to think about is just awesome.

What's funny about that is, I'm the exact opposite, lol. I used to consider Stevie the best male vocalist until I heard Michael.

hmm I couldn't pick just one :unsure:

maybe the likes of:

Whitney Houston
Barbara Streisand
Aretha Franklin

Those yet to be mentioned that I'd like to name are:

Enya
Annie Lennox
Lisa Gerrard

certainly love Annie Lennox's ability though

Celine Dion and Barbara Streisand for me :yes:

Last edited:
mariah-teen-choice-awards.jpg

Tori Amos
Kate Bush
Joni Mitchell
Sarah McLachlan
Janet Jackson

Last edited:
hmmm in my opinion the greats are:

Whitney Houston
Mariah Carey
Celine Dion/Barbara Streisand
Christina Aguilera
Aretha Franklin/Pattie Labelle

What's funny about that is, I'm the exact opposite, lol. I used to consider Stevie the best male vocalist until I heard Michael.

It's not so much quality for me with Stevie as it is quantity. If you just plunked down an album from each guy and said "Decide who has the better voice", I couldn't do it. But Stevie, for nearly a half-century, has sung live on almost every single appearance. Grammy shows, BET shows, MTV award shows, NAACP shows, thousands and thousands of live concerts... the guy sings live in full on every single performance. I haven't heard MJ sing live in 7 years, and it was Jackson 5 songs. The guy has a hell of a voice, but outside of his albums, there's nothing to gauge anymore.

It's not so much quality for me with Stevie as it is quantity. If you just plunked down an album from each guy and said "Decide who has the better voice", I couldn't do it. But Stevie, for nearly a half-century, has sung live on almost every single appearance. Grammy shows, BET shows, MTV award shows, NAACP shows, thousands and thousands of live concerts... the guy sings live in full on every single performance. I haven't heard MJ sing live in 7 years, and it was Jackson 5 songs. The guy has a hell of a voice, but outside of his albums, there's nothing to gauge anymore.

but he doesnt dance and mover around or perform at the intesity level as michael. so its easier for him 2 sing live lol. mike is aa wayy bettter vocalist than stevie wonder..but ill save that for another time since this thread is a FEMALES lol

Mariah is awesome. I really wish she would get more respect, but oh well.

I see your point. Mariah probably would get more respect if her music was consistent. Her newer music lately has been straight trash and I'm not hating just being real. Its just mainstream mess. Her old school 90's music was really good BUT that being said that doesn't take away from her being a great vocal talent. But you kinda have to admit why folks would feel that way. I look at it like this, you can be a great vocal talent but if the lyrics your singing about is garbage then what is that suppose to do for the listener? AND thats another big problem with the artists out now, they have a descent voice but there music is just trash.

My Picks:
Michael Jackson
Stevie Wonder
Mariah Carey (vocally)
Aretha Franklin

Back