Which song Michael sang better live?

Man In The Mirror (When the the real live vocals actually kick in that is lol)

I like WBSS live. It feels way more powerful than the album version.

Will You Be There in the Dangerous Tour rehearsals and NAACP Awards. And most songs in the rehearsals sounded better than they were in actual concerts, weirdly..

I think it would be easier to name the songs that didn't sound better live

Will You Be There in the Dangerous Tour rehearsals and NAACP Awards. And most songs in the rehearsals sounded better than they were in actual concerts, weirdly..

Not so weird, actually. Every artist wishes to God that there would have been the ONE rehearsal or practice that should have been the concert, or recording. When everything is PERFECT, sublime and just divine. Happens. Sometimes the actual performances are half as good as rehearsals.
I'm still amazed that with all the frenzy in these stadiums - that there are not more recorded mishaps. Just think of fans suddenly running on stage etc. In a rehearsal the focus is so much different etc. But you can see how he turns the stage presence on during a concert, regardless of live or not.

I like Human Nature in its live version. Because it's raw, I can hear him breath, sigh. It fits the song bill incredibly well. Not to mention this.
n1fnyqjpg.gif

Because there I'm not looking for vocal perfection, I just want it straight up raw and straining.

And of course the Earth Song adlibs. Just after those adlibs alone I can die peacefully and with love and passion in my heart.

Last edited:
Heartbreak Hotel from Brisbane & Tokyo Sept. 12th 1987! WBSS & APOM from Wembley, Rock With You Los Angeles 1981, Dirty Diana MSG, Human Nature This is it & Remember The Time + Beat it, Dangerous Tour rehearsal first day :heart:

Last edited:

I agree. I think that his rehearsal for Billie Jean for the Dangerous Tour was better than most of his live singing.

Am gonna go with I just Can't Stop Loving You for this thread though.

WBSS, hate the record version but the live version is just awesome.

Working Day and Night, Dirty Diana, WBSS, Beat It, Heartbreak Hotel....just to name a few...

Michael definitely added a new dimension to Human Nature when he performed it live. The stage version is divine.

WBSS, hate the record version but the live version is just awesome.

Same here :) The live version is so powerful and the tempo of live vers suits this song much better ;) The exact same story with Human Nature... studio version is weak for me. I just wouldn't love this song that much if MJ didn't perform it live. The way it sounds on DWT :woohoo:

Also, I'd agree that most songs that MJ did live sounds better than the studio versions. I mostly like the DWT arrangements :) They're so fresh and so cool :D

Same here :) The live version is so powerful and the tempo of live vers suits this song much better ;) The exact same story with Human Nature... studio version is weak for me. I just wouldn't love this song that much if MJ didn't perform it live. The way it sounds on DWT :woohoo:

Also, I'd agree that most songs that MJ did live sounds better than the studio versions. I mostly like the DWT arrangements :) They're so fresh and so cool :D
Definitely. The live versions have 'grit' and power, the original arrangement's are very soft and they are weak for me.

Michael also sang live when he was with his brothers. So through his whole career he did far more live singing than lip syncing

"She's Out Of My Life" always seems to sound really really good, no matter how exhausted and gasping for breath-y he is lol.

I think it would be easier to name the songs that didn't sound better live[/QUOTE]

I agree!

From what I've heard, I don't think he ever beat the studio vocals to any of his songs on stage. He gave many great performances, with great vocals, but for me, nothing that actually surpassed the studio masters where he is locked in and focused on giving the perfect vocal take. Not to mention the hours of vocal exercises prior to recording. Sure, I love Human Nature live, but do I think he ever surpassed the studio master vocally on stage? Not really.

The only song that really comes to mind as maybe being better performed on stage is "Who's Lovin' You".

Back