Where did MJ get the inspiration for Liberian Girl?

Well since it was called 'Pyramid Girl' first and one of Liz Taylor's biggest roles was playing 'Cleopatra' (Egyptian queen/pyramids) Liz most probably was the inspiration for the initial song..

For some reason MJ changed the title (maybe it just sounded better..?) but that still makes Liz Taylor the inspiration right..?

Anyway, both Cleopatra and Liz Taylor were not black women
I respect your opinion while still maintaining my own.

But it still stands, the version of "Liberian Girl" that we know today was about African Women—and I believe them to be it's inspiration based off a few things that have only to do with the song itself.
It has been said that Diana Ross (who is an African-American woman) was the actual inspiration behind the 'Liberian Girl' song.

In 1983, Michael Jackson and Diana Ross spent some time together on vacation in Liberia (the largest city of Costa Rica), and later he wrote that song for her.

Michael Jackson not only wrote 'Liberian Girl' for her, but he also erected a shrine dedicated to her in his Hayvenhurst family home.

It has been said that Diana Ross (who is an African-American woman) was the actual inspiration behind the 'Liberian Girl' song.

In 1983, Michael Jackson and Diana Ross spent some time together on vacation in Liberia (the largest city of Costa Rica), and later he wrote that song for her.

Michael Jackson not only wrote 'Liberian Girl' for her, but he also erected a shrine dedicated to her in his Hayvenhurst family home.

If the original song was called 'Pyramid Song' than it couldn't be about a vacation to Liberia..?

Also, I was merely speaking about "Pyramid Girl" and the dispute of whether ancient Egypt was a black civilization. This had nothing to do with Cleopatra nor whether she was black or not. However, I understand how that could have been confused since I mentioned that book. I just found it interesting how Michael had a book on that particular topic. And I definitely know Elizabeth Taylor is not black! Lol. I'm black! I've been a MJ fan since 1982.
Okay I understand!
I respect your opinion while still maintaining my own.

But it still stands, the version of "Liberian Girl" that we know today was about African Women—and I believe them to be it's inspiration based off a few things that have only to do with the song itself.
I agree that the song as we know it now has an African theme due to the title and the Swahili intro!

Yes! And I completely forgot about this as I just learned this information about a month ago. I was gonna do more digging about it. As I always say, no matter how long you been a MJ fan, there is always something new to learn. 😊

Edit: I knew about Mike's dedication room aka Shrine to Diana (I'mma give our mans some grace since some of us also hang his posters and pics up, lol). I was talking about the the trip. I knew he went on trips with her, I just didn't know about that particular trip to Liberia.

Last edited:
There isn't really any proof it was ever called Pyramid Girl other than a mention in one article.
True. I believe I actually only know of that one instance including it being mentioned in the book "Michael Jackson: All The Songs. (The story behind every track"). Which is a great book, btw. 😊

Okay I understand!

I agree that the song as we know it now has an African theme due to the title and the Swahili intro!
Thanks for understanding. Trust, I ain't trying to cause no confusion on this forum. Sometimes, I just wish Mike left us cliff notes or sumn' for all his songs! Lol.

If the original song was called 'Pyramid Song' than it couldn't be about a vacation to Liberia..?
I think after vacationing with Diana, this is how the song possibly evolved. Lol. Ion think MJ was really gonna tell us all that if it were the case. I'm joking but being serious at the same time. 💯🤣

It's interesting, but going on a holiday trip to Liberia doesn't suddenly make you a 'Liberian Girl'.. Also the lyrics (which talk about a first meeting) aren't likely to be about Diana Ross

My Pyramid Girl......you know that you came and you changed my world

Wasn't the "Pyramid" lyric just a misheard quote from an album review? Anyway, as a song writer, maybe MJ just thought that "Liberian girl" just fit sonically within the grove of the song?

He's been quoted as saying he came up with this song while he was playing pinball at Hayvenhurst. I thought this was common knowledge around this community. Maybe I missed it.
That is common knowledge but it doesn't explain what the song is about and what the inspiration was

Aren't you the same person who made a thread about this forum going sour..? lol
I surely am. In response to the disrespect towards Michael and the constant pointless and repeat threads. this falls under that category. the song title suggests what? The chant at the start of the song suggests what? This was also touched on in the Bad25 documentary that came out in 2012. Let’s not choose to be dense and get mad when called out. you also don’t know my /certain experiences within the fan community. So I stand on my comment. is there anything else you need clarity on?

Back