Whawhat do americans know about Football (Soccer)

Nirvana

Proud Member
2301 Jackson street , i know your jealous
Do any americans know any english football teams, Like man united or chelsea...Do you ever get it on your TV channels cause in england we get NFL sometimes (usually late at night)....Because i know you all know david beckham but we literally don't know any american football players obviously the nfl fans will but average person wont

When I first heard about that game, I thought the people were socking each other. I don't like to see people hurting one another, but that's not what the game is. No, that's not what soccer's supposed to be.

LOL............

Football is the biggest sport on Earth by a very long shot...............and most American seem to ignore it................

...........It's the same in India.........but instead of Baseball/American Football/Basketball.......there is Cricket!!!!!!

Last edited:
Well, I remember when David Beckham went to play in America there were some Americans who argued that "the MLS is now the best league in the world because we have the best player in the world". That should tell you something.

No offence but that really doesn't help the american sterotype, Thinking they're the best..and another thing is why do americans think they are the worlds greatest.....it's not hard when you're the only ones trying

I'm not american but I use to watch CNN Sports and each week they resume the mains european championships like UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, France, and someone who's watching has in memory at least the leaders, and UK Championship is considered like the higher - In Europe, in Italy for instance, you can find some american players.
Football in US is not comparable to Europe, we must know that it was mainly considered as a female sport but the interest is increasing more and more since the good performances in world cup.

Last edited:
Well, americans do ignore the most played and the most well known sport on Earth in favor of their American football which to me seems to be just a more violent form of rugby.

Personally I don't have anything against americans and their sports, I just hate it how they disrespect other popular sports around the world. But I mean, it's ok... Americans don't care about football who is played all over the world so it only seems fair that the rest of the world to not care about an american sport.

Krshna28;3225545 said:
there is Cricket!!!!!!

:agree:

AndreyZidane™;3227643 said:
...American football which to me seems to be just a more violent form of rugby.

Really?? :mello:

240px-J.P._Losman_tackled_in_the_end_zone_by_Ty_Warren_2006-09-10.jpg

01_tackle.jpg

Yer.....gonna level with you americans, You're NOT the world champions at american football, And the "world series" which only america can play in is ridiculous.....althoguh i do wanna get into them and start watching but i know nothing about it

Ohhh btw even though MJ wasn't really a fan he visited 2 football (soccer) teams in england i dont think he ever visited american football teams :p

01_tackle.jpg

They're basically the same thing to me. Only difference is that in american rugby they wear helmets along side with a different attire with more pads for protection, because in my opinion it's more violent. Other than that the pictures are almost the same, both images show some dude getting tackled while running with an oval ball in his hand.

Again, this is just my opinion, you don't have to agree with it.. :p

01_tackle.jpg

that pic from the NRL in austrailia between paramatter and penrith is of an illegal tackle so u cant really use it to compair. theres obviously stricter rules in the NRL etc due to the lack of protective gear where in US football they ltterally use their heads/helmets against each other u cant do that when all u have on is abit of shoulder padding at the most

And the "world series" which only america can play in is ridiculous....
world series was named after a newspaper. its nothing to do with the actual world

All I know is David Beckham and Cristiano Ronaldo.... :lol:

I like American football better because its fun to watch.

In America soccer will never be bigger than Baseball, Football, or Basketball. Every four yrs Americans watch the world cup, and that's about it.

Got good news though. Yesterday the sports giant ESPN announced a huge deal to broadcast soccer.

I don't like soccer (football) OR American football.

I can tolerate baseball (Yankees!).

Me neither, except my disdain carries over to baseball, softball, volleyball, squash, cricket, and about every other sport you can think of. I especially hate group sports.

The only sports I actually enjoy watching are fencing, gymnastics, and ice-skating. I reckon this is due to the fact that they're truly more art than sport--it takes not only discipline, but a certain talent for expressing (emotion?) in motion to do all three of these sports.

Me neither, except my disdain carries over to baseball, softball, volleyball, squash, cricket, and about every other sport you can think of. I especially hate group sports.

The only sports I actually enjoy watching are fencing, gymnastics, and ice-skating. I reckon this is due to the fact that they're truly more art than sport--it takes not only discipline, but a certain talent for expressing (emotion?) in motion to do all three of these sports.

Absolutely, gymnastics and figure skating are artistic, beautiful sports. I enjoy watching those sometimes. It's too bad that often guys are given a tough time when they admit to watching these kinds of sports.

Yer.....gonna level with you americans, You're NOT the world champions at american football, And the "world series" which only america can play in is ridiculous.....althoguh i do wanna get into them and start watching but i know nothing about it

Ohhh btw even though MJ wasn't really a fan he visited 2 football (soccer) teams in england i dont think he ever visited american football teams :p

But to be honest only Football is the only real World sport.............

Just look at how many countries play in the Qualifying stages of the Fifa World Cup!!!!!!

Absolutely, gymnastics and figure skating are artistic, beautiful sports. I enjoy watching those sometimes. It's too bad that often guys are given a tough time when they admit to watching these kinds of sports.

I agree, but since this is a soccer thread, I reckon we should just leave it at that? :p

But to be honest only Football is the only real World sport.............

Just look at how many countries play in the Qualifying stages of the Fifa World Cup!!!!!!

Ever heard of the olympics? While not as many countries participate in them as in the qualifying stages of the world cup, they are still an international event (the world event, in my opinion as far as sports are concerned.) They are more historically relevant than the soccer world cup as well. They highlight athletes who participate in different sports, and have the prestige of being based on the ancient Olympics in Greece.

While it is acceptable that you enjoy soccer and admire the international involvement of the FIFA World Cup, I think it's unfair to say that it's the only "real" world sport.

Ever heard of the olympics? While not as many countries participate in them as in the qualifying stages of the world cup, they are still an international event (the world event, in my opinion as far as sports are concerned.) They are more historically relevant than the soccer world cup as well. They highlight athletes who participate in different sports, and have the prestige of being based on the ancient Olympics in Greece.

While it is acceptable that you enjoy soccer and admire the international involvement of the FIFA World Cup, I think it's unfair to say that it's the only "real" world sport.
He means Real as in it's the only sport where it's played all over the world, Not putting down other sports saying they are't real

Since when is "Olympics" a sport? Whether you like football or not, it is simply a fact that it is the most played and most watched sport in the world. No other sport comes anywhere near. Many Olympic sports are culturally tied, which is why you see so many Russians/Ukrainians in gymnastics, Chinese in pingpong, Koreans in archery, Dutch in speedskating etc. Definitely not all Olympic sports are international ones, even though they're said to be. Sports like ice hockey, baseball or rugby are virtually non-existent in my country even though they're very popular elsewhere. Football however is the most popular sport in the vast majority of countries from all over the world, which cannot be said of any Olympic sport (apart from football itself of course). As for prestige - ask any footballer or supporter whether they'd rather see their national team win the FIFA World Cup or an Olympic gold medal ;)

Since when is "Olympics" a sport? Whether you like football or not, it is simply a fact that it is the most played and most watched sport in the world. No other sport comes anywhere near. Many Olympic sports are culturally tied, which is why you see so many Russians/Ukrainians in gymnastics, Chinese in pingpong, Koreans in archery, Dutch in speedskating etc. Definitely not all Olympic sports are international ones, even though they're said to be. Sports like ice hockey, baseball or rugby are virtually non-existent in my country even though they're very popular elsewhere. Football however is the most popular sport in the vast majority of countries from all over the world, which cannot be said of any Olympic sport (apart from football itself of course). As for prestige - ask any footballer or supporter whether they'd rather see their national team win the FIFA World Cup or an Olympic gold medal ;)

I said they were an event, in which various sports are played, and participants from different countries compete for medals. I was comparing the Olympics to the FIFA world cup.

In any case, I wasn't attempting to take any merit away from football (soccer), I was just saying that it's unfair to deem it the only "real" world sport, when there are other events which are international and showcase many sports, thus making them international as well.

I was going more for the international competition appeal rather than popular opinion (something I am not fond of.) As far as prestige, I would say the continuation of a historically relevant custom is more important than what some player thinks, but that's just my humble opinion.

Both are meant for their respective audiences in any case. I happen to be more partial to the Olympics only because some of the sports they include have an element of art in them, whereas football (soccer) and other sports of that nature are more team-centered, actively competitive, and just in general not my cup of tea.

Like I said, I wasn't denying that football (soccer) is indeed a popular sport with world appeal and a vast following, however, the sports which are featured in the Olympics are also worthy of being called internationally appealing--perhaps not to the same degree as football (soccer), but still.

The Olympics is a sporting event where a huge variety of sports are played in.......including football (but only under 21 years)!!!!

I'm talking about just one singular sport that is global..........

A close second is the running sports in athletics (100m, 200m, marathon, etc.)............where your would see almost every country imaginable (during the qualifiers)...........

But Football is still the biggest and most widely played sport in the World!!!!

Back