What was Michael's Best Vocal Performance?

ParisKatherine

Proud Member
I was thinking about this, which song really shows of Michael's worldclass vocal ability (not necessarily live) and range. Anyone have any favourites?

I think its a difficult to find an MJ song thats all about Michael's voice as I think Michael controlled his voice so well to fit in with the song, not to show it off.

However Im thinking:

Who's Loving You
Speechless
Rock With You
Smile
Gone Too Soon
Human Nature

Opinions on his best vocal songs?

As a kid:
Got to be there Hellzapoppin 1972

As an adult:
Wasnt all sang live, but the end of Man In The Mirror Grammy Awards 1988. I think he sounds perfect, if the mic didnt cut out when he came in singing live then it would be hard to tell when he actually started singing live.

On that note, could someone tell me. Did Michael perform before he didnt win the album of the year or after? Maybe he felt driven and like he had something to prove after he didnt win.

This is tough, but here it goes:

1. Speechless
2. The Lady In My Life
3. Push Me Away

In no particular order:

Keep the Faith

She's Out of My Life

Butterflies

Earth Song

Will You Be There

Speechless

Everything and anything sung as a child.

Oh we are talking about actual songs.

EARTH SONG You will never top that. My god......

Lovely One

On The Line

Whos loving you

Butterflies :)

Live... or just recorded?

Black Or White for me... If you smirked or scrunched your face at that, listen again, to the vocals, carefully.

He let loose on that track, and ive said from the beginning that that track you can feel the song the entire time. Listen to it accapella.. you'll see.

Live vocal performance has to go to bad tour i'll be there, human nature, rock with you, shes out of my life etc

I could say almost every song he sang in his later teens with The Jacksons. Walk Right Now, lovely One, Heartbreak Hotel, Blame It On The Boogie and Can You Feel it. Hes awesome on them all.

The Way You Make Me Feel as well.

sigh so many :( such a talent. Any that showed his talent for melisma (Melisma is the musical art of stretching a syllable over a run of notes, think Christina Aguilera)?

You were there his tribute to Sammy Davis Jr.
Gone too Soon at President Clinton's Inuguaration
Man in the Mirror Grammy's
Elizabeth i love you

He has so many those stand out to me.

I thought you meant live when I read the title, and was about to lay some onyou but, ok

Songs: Earth Song, We've Had Enough, Push Me Away & Man In The Mirror

Live: Man In The Mirror (Grammys '88) although not sung live all the way through, it's just Incredible! When he does the ~ You, You, You, You, Yoah!! ~ at the end gives me goosebumps, it just UNBELEIVEABLE! So amazingly talented.

Also, Another Part Of Me - Live Bad Tour, Wembley 1988

and She's Out Of My Life - Live Dangerous Tour, Bucharest 1992, especially when he breaks It down at the end with ~ and it Cuuuttts Like a Knife! ~ WOW! *Goosbumps*

and last but not least, Who's Lovin You on tour with Jacksons, I Want You Back - Ed Sullivan Show

Last edited:
Who's Loving You, Ben, She's out of my life, Lady in my life, Give in to me, Dirty Diana, Smile, Butterflies, Break of Dawn, Earth Song, Will you be there.....just for starters

I'd start with Speechless and Butterflies - but there are many more

Oh wow, there's so so so many, I couldn't even begin to start picking just a few. The adlibs are usually the best part.. But I agree about some of the Jacksons' era songs being incredible.. like Destiny and Triumph, but even Victory -- he didn't sing too much on that one, but every time it was time for his vocals I got goosebumps (esp Torture, Wait). It's like magic. You can't duplicate a voice like that.

My vote would have to be Scared Of The Moon and One Day In Your Life. If only one, I would go with the latter.

Well, that is for today at least.

Mine is the adlibs at the end of Invincible. Incredible.

Also Gone Too Soon is a clear favourite, and the Keep The Faith ending.

I LOVE THIS SOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo Much!!!!! This is my Michael, the Michael I'll remember, the raw talent, the shyness but confidence combined and the MOVEEEEEEEEEES! James Brown loved it such a wonderful and joyous moment. Thank you so much (}) xxx

i agree with you 100% especially about the rawness, also if you watch the whole thing he walks up and totally overshadows prince, steals the show. its just natural and great.

Back