Hot topic What unreleased demos and remixes do you think will be on Thriller 40 Disc 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop deluding yourselves boys it will be can’t get out of the rain, can’t get out of the game and the Manhattan Transfer version of spice of life

I think it’s already been established that MJ almost certainly didn’t record “Spice of Life.”
I like to believe that Mystery was the only one of the two recorded, because it just has a vibe that fits so well with the rest of Thriller. Of course, he may have never recorded it at all, but it's a thought worth dwelling on.

The only surprises at this point would be Roll The Dice, Why Can't I Be, or Nymphette Lover. I can't really think of anything else. Attitude?

Chicago 1945 and Buffalo Bill are going to be saved for the future.
Attitude may only exist as a writer's demo, tbh

Can't get outta the rain is on Disc 2 for sure. It was the only sample available to play from Disc 2 on some Japanese retailers when Thriller40 was announced. And then those sites pulled the sample down.

The original configuration of Thriller (according to the book “For The Record”) was:
1. Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’ / 2. Hot Street / 3. The Girl Is Mine / 4. Thriller
5. Billie Jean / 6. She's Trouble / 7. Nightline / 8. Carousel / 9. The Lady In My Life.
So before anything, 2 of the next 3 songs on CD2 really should be Hot Street & Nightline, to join the already added Carousel & She's Trouble. I'd also like Starlight to join them on Disc 2.
To respect the original intention for the album, it would have been nice if the full length original uncut versions of Wanna be Startin Somethin', Billie Jean, & The Lady In My Life were also included on the physical release. Maybe as extra tracks on CD1 along with The Girl Is Mine (solo demo), Thriller (with its 3rd VP Rap still in place) and the Baby Be Mine demo.
My guess though is the final 3 songs will probably be something like
Can't Get Out Of The Rain / Slapstick demo (instead of Hot Street) / Starlight (if we're lucky).
I'm also starting to wonder whether there are more finalised versions of songs such as She's Trouble, Got The Hots, Sunset Driver & Behind The Mask, and whether these songs and possibly others, had any finalised Quincy Jones input which he's not allowing to be released. If so, I do think such tracks, along with Hot Street & Nightline are being held back for a future release, or Thriller 50.

Last edited:
The original configuration of Thriller (according to the book “For The Record”) was:
1. Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’ / 2. Hot Street / 3. The Girl Is Mine / 4. Thriller
5. Billie Jean / 6. She's Trouble / 7. Nightline / 8. Carousel / 9. The Lady In My Life.
So before anything, 2 of the next 3 songs on CD2 really should be Hot Street & Nightline, to join the already added Carousel & She's Trouble. I'd also like Starlight to join them on Disc 2.
To respect the original intention for the album, it would have been nice if the full length original uncut versions of Wanna be Startin Somethin', Billie Jean, & The Lady In My Life were also included on the physical release. Maybe as extra tracks on CD1 along with The Girl Is Mine (solo demo), Thriller (with its 3rd VP Rap still in place) and the Baby Be Mine demo.
My guess though is the final 3 songs will probably be something like
Can't Get Out Of The Rain / Slapstick demo (instead of Hot Street) / Starlight (if we're lucky).
I'm also starting to wonder whether there are more finalised versions of songs such as She's Trouble, Got The Hots, Sunset Driver & Behind The Mask, and whether these songs and possibly others, had any finalised Quincy Jones input which he's not allowing to be released. If so, I do think such tracks, along with Hot Street & Nightline are being held back for a future release, or Thriller 50.
This is interesting. Does a producer have the right to prevent unfinished songs, demos or outtakes from being released?

I think this theory has been put to rest. She's Trouble is one of the tracks produced by Q and it's gonna be on the album
It states "She's Trouble (Demo)" on the tracklisting, so it's very unlikely to be produced by Q.

Last edited:
I think the issues with Q are very real, don't see why they wouldn't have released the finalised version Streetwalker otherwise. Maybe it's been resolved, though.

@Niteline
I had no idea the thriller album looked that different initially. I would love to hear it in its initial form.
Also I never heard of the existence of an extended version of WBSS. Has it leaked yet? The song is already quite long so MJ wanted it even longer?

Last edited:
@Niteline
I had no idea the thriller album looked that different initially. I would love to hear it in its initial form.
Also I never heard of the existence of an extended version of WBSS. Has it leaked yet? The song is already quite long so MJ wanted it even longer?
I think the 12" mix was meant. WBSS and Billie Jean were shortend for the album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back