What actually happened to Rod Temperton after the Thriller-Era?

Hold on a second. Did i misunderstand something, or did MJ really record a third verse for BoJ that was written by Rod Temperton? And they cut this verse so they could release the shorter version on the Michael album?

Hold on a second. Did i misunderstand something, or did MJ really record a third verse for BoJ that was written by Rod Temperton? And they cut this verse so they could release the shorter version on the Michael album?

No. Michael did record a third verse for BoJ that was written by Rod Temperton BUT they cut it out because either Rod asked too much money for it to be included or like Birchey said because Estate and Sony had bad experience with him due to his abnormally high price he requested for Thriller song in This Is It movie.

Wow. If that's true, I don't know whether to be angry at the Estate/Sony for basically cutting 1/3 of a great song just to release it, or to be happy because we may get to hear the full song (with RT lyrics!) somewhere in the future.

Wow. If that's true, I don't know whether to be angry at the Estate/Sony for basically cutting 1/3 of a great song just to release it, or to be happy because we may get to hear the full song (with RT lyrics!) somewhere in the future.

You can also be happy (like me) that we got 2/3 of the song. Like Neff-U said: they've got to release that song because that was the last song MJ recorded in his liftime. I'm not angry at the Estate/Sony at all because of this. Although instead of paying 5 MIL for 12 fake songs they could have given Rod 2-3 MIL for 1/3 of one real song. I'm actually little angry at Rod because his asking price (either for Thriller or for BoJ) was ridiculously high. But in the end it's all about the money, just like it is with will.i.am and RedOne. They all want huge bags of money. And Estate/Sony also want their part to be as big as it can be. So it's always us - the fans, we are the ones who suffer because of their stupid games over money.

BOJ is my favorite MJ song released post 2009. I sincerely hope that we one day will be graced with the full unedited song :)

I agree, but 5 MIL is a lot. Maybe even 1 MIL. He wrote 1 of the 20 songs that appeared in the movie.

Don't know about Wembley - because I really don't understand how music publishing/distribution rights and ownership of the music works. But I'm sure he'll have to agree on Thriller's 2015 3D theatre and blu-ray release. I just hope everything will go smoothly and without any problem.
I love Rod. He's written some of my most favorite songs in the world and he's always seemed like a very nice person to boot. But this is really confusing to me-I understand songwriter's royalties and recording royalties-but I didn't realize a songwriter would have to give an OK or receive additional payment for their song that's covered. Maybe Rod had a special contract on his songs like Quincy did to be the first to remix?
It seems like a lot of people had special deals going on with those albums.

Wow, I didn't know Rod composed a verse of Best Of Joy. I agree it's a ridiculously high sum of money to ask for but I hope an agreement can be made and release the song as Michael left it some day.

They should release all tracks, unedited from 2005-2009! whatever state they're in, they are Michael's final works of art.. and they need to be heard.. eventually. 'Best of Joy' is the best track i've heard from 2005-2009 so far..

I love Rod. He's written some of my most favorite songs in the world and he's always seemed like a very nice person to boot. But this is really confusing to me-I understand songwriter's royalties and recording royalties-but I didn't realize a songwriter would have to give an OK or receive additional payment for their song that's covered.

Yes it is confusing. That's why I said that maybe he asked that sum of money for BoJ and not for Thriller. But who knows.

They should release all tracks, unedited from 2005-2009! whatever state they're in, they are Michael's final works of art.. and they need to be heard.. eventually.

Money dictates what will be released and what not. The best examples are will.i.am and RedOne. If Rod asked this much for one song, just imagine how much money will two of the hottest producers in the world request for 6 or 8-10 songs! Money talks.

Given the state the music industry is right now, it seems so unreasonable to ask for that amount of money THB. Performers make more money out of tours nowadays. We know Michael surpasses living acts on the yearly income mainly because of The Immortal show but it was abusive on RT part nonetheless. If the will.I.am songs aren't released, we won't be surprised the reason behind it. Although the released work with will have Michael's worst.

Back