Wembley July 16 vs other Wembley concerts!

Yes, it's been discussed 34234234 times lool
He remembered wrong or embellished the story, because he kept it in.

And sucks for all the showS he cut TWYMMF from. I'm sure it wasn't always because of some time constraint.

Because of Michael's meeting with Princess Diana the show started late then he took off it from the setlist to finish in time, but was really a pity :/

And it wasn't the only show that they cut that song from, either.

Really? I only know the removal of "TWYMMF" in this show from july 16th and the cut of "Dirty Diana" in LA's shows.

Which another concerts he took off "TWYMMF"?

Really? I only know the removal of "TWYMMF" in this show from july 16th and the cut of "Dirty Diana" in LA's shows.

Which another concerts he took off "TWYMMF"?

Barcelona 1988. There ain't no TWYMMF and MITM. Right after Bad there are fireworks.

here's a response from an audiophile forum i got from Al Quaglieri

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=285161&page=15
"if you got to hear the 32-track multis as I did, you'd be amazed you got what you got. I called in Thom Cadley, who's been quietly creating some of the world's best surround mixes for over a decade now, to deal with this project.

Several things to keep in mind when watching/listening to this set. First, it was at the dawn of wireless mics, and before in-ear monitoring. The wireless mics, including MJ's, were ragged. Then, there were monitors blaring all over the stage. Background vocals were submixed to a stereo pair. Add to that a poorly-mic'd audience. And everything was moving all over the stage.

If you were to look at the ProTools screen for any given song, it would look like a crossword puzzle...there was track muting galore, to try to minimize the crazy monitor bleed. Pinning Michael to the center speaker would have defeated all the efforts that went into making him blend smoothly with everything else that was going in.

All factors considered, Cadley's mix is nothing short of miraculous. And I think the surround is involving without being gimmicky or obtrusive.

Incidentally, the CD audio in this package is essentially the same framework created by Cadley, but tweaked by Rick Kwan and me at Avatar Studios to make it a better standalone audio experience than simply porting over the DVD mixes.

Glad to see most of you are enjoying the box."

so this explains why the vocals were not in the center channel- too much feedback and stuff apparently. this might also explain why "the way you make me feel" on the dvd is NOT a hybrid of live and pre-recorded vocals at the start, like in the leaked snippet

Yes, because TWYMMF and MITM were played as encore (as stated correctly in the DVD menue). As I understand it, a performer plays an encore (i.e. comes back on stage to go on performing after the (official) end of the show) when the audience is really into it, screaming, chanting, shouting. If the audience is less enthusiastic, on the other hand, there usually wont be an "encore", and why should there be.

MJ performed TWYMMF and Man In The Mirror in most of the concerts during 1988. And this one is the only one I've seen that cuts TWYMMF but keeps Man In The Mirror. Even though they put a TWYMMF snippet from the previous night as bonus, I still got disappointed because we really deserve a full well-edited Bad tour 2nd leg concert.

Yes, because TWYMMF and MITM were played as encore (as stated correctly in the DVD menue). As I understand it, a performer plays an encore (i.e. comes back on stage to go on performing after the (official) end of the show) when the audience is really into it, screaming, chanting, shouting. If the audience is less enthusiastic, on the other hand, there usually wont be an "encore", and why should there be.

A non enthusiastic audience at a Michael Jackson concert? That's just shocking and on the freaking Bad Tour no less

I was, of course, talking in general terms ;)
Having said that, I would have liked to hear a bit "more" from the audience on the DVD. On TWYMMF from the 15th - if you listen closely - you can hear them sing along while Mike is singing. Just love that. On the 16th they just seem a bit quieter overall.

You understood a little wrong :D
The term "encore" is thrown around loosely.
It simply means songs that are played outside the normal set and/or after the band/singer leaves the stage for a few minutes.
It's neither spontaneous or random, with the small exception of small jam bands n such. All encores for live shows are planned.

It's irrelevant of how the crowd reaction is.
And in the case of MJ especially, it's not an issue.
Must have been cut for a late start.

Last edited:
so this explains why the vocals were not in the center channel- too much feedback and stuff apparently. this might also explain why "the way you make me feel" on the dvd is NOT a hybrid of live and pre-recorded vocals at the start, like in the leaked snippet

I don't know about that.
Feedback is that unbearable noise you get when a mic is too close to a speaker.
They just mixed it wrong/poorly.
And it's blatantly obvious the audio on TWYMMF on DVD is just as it was live: playback+live vocals.
He sang the intro live, playback for the rest, save for some adlibs at the end.

Last edited:
And it's blatantly obvious the audio on TWYMMF on DVD is just as it was live: playback+live vocals.
He sang the intro live, playback for the rest, save for some adlibs at the end.

Of course. But Smooth Criminal isn't, because the parts "Annie are you OK?" were mostly covered with live vocals by the mixer. I love that, and it proves that MJ did sing live with playback after all.

Yes, it's been discussed 34234234 times lool
He remembered wrong or embellished the story, because he kept it in.

And sucks for all the showS he cut TWYMMF from. I'm sure it wasn't always because of some time constraint.

An what about another scenario... After MJ heard from Lady Diana, that she loves DD, Michael, due to time limits for the show decided to replace TWYMMF with Dirty Diana to keep the overall schedule? :) I think that it's possible ;)

here's a response from an audiophile forum i got from Al Quaglieri

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=285161&page=15
"if you got to hear the 32-track multis as I did, you'd be amazed you got what you got. I called in Thom Cadley, who's been quietly creating some of the world's best surround mixes for over a decade now, to deal with this project.

Several things to keep in mind when watching/listening to this set. First, it was at the dawn of wireless mics, and before in-ear monitoring. The wireless mics, including MJ's, were ragged. Then, there were monitors blaring all over the stage. Background vocals were submixed to a stereo pair. Add to that a poorly-mic'd audience. And everything was moving all over the stage.

If you were to look at the ProTools screen for any given song, it would look like a crossword puzzle...there was track muting galore, to try to minimize the crazy monitor bleed. Pinning Michael to the center speaker would have defeated all the efforts that went into making him blend smoothly with everything else that was going in.

All factors considered, Cadley's mix is nothing short of miraculous. And I think the surround is involving without being gimmicky or obtrusive.

Incidentally, the CD audio in this package is essentially the same framework created by Cadley, but tweaked by Rick Kwan and me at Avatar Studios to make it a better standalone audio experience than simply porting over the DVD mixes.

Glad to see most of you are enjoying the box."

i just read this and am nothing short of incandescent...

it's incorrect and just plain wrong in so many ways.

More to the point Michael HEARD and APPROVED the original recordings AND mixes.

This is the utter and total BS of a poor workman blaming his tools.

Last edited:
i just read this and am nothing short of incandescent...

it's incorrect and just plain wrong in so many ways.

More to the point Michael HEARD and APPROVED the original recordings AND mixes.

This is the utter and total BS of a poor workman blaming his tools.

So could you please tell us the truth about what's really going on with those mixes?

Back