Wembley July 16 vs other Wembley concerts!

Frankyboy5

Proud Member
Just wondering what you guys think of Wembley July 16 compared to other concerts such as July 14 and "July 23" (where most of the amateur concert comes from, except for the MITM exit comes from July 16 as with DVD).

Also who has confirmation it is July 23? Birchey originally thought it was July 15 and then said it was July 16, then he said it was likely July 22. Not sure now if it's 23rd or 22nd... Is there any amateur audio from the 22nd and the 15th?

I haven't reviewed them both concisely yet, but there are certain things I like about the July 23rd concert over this one, and the other way around. In both concerts MJ uses a black mic for Beat It but for the other songs in between he's using a silver mic.

Beat It - I think he was more in tune in the July 16th concert, but "you wanna be a man" in July 23 was actually sung while in the 16th he just spoke the words for that line (it really depends on how you look at it, it is a sort of style too). He also does a toe stand right during the first chorus.

The WDAN illusion was done better on the 23rd where it seems he still does one more "hee" as the curtain is lifted.

Billie Jean - I think July 14 and July 23 were great where he did "look what you did baybe, look what you did yeaah" right after the moonwalk before the chorus, and he does "AAOW" in the "right place" where he typically did it during the Bad Tour. Sadly as I was hype about July 14 (since some of the previous BWT 88 videos we had like APOM came from this concert) the instruments MISS starting the chorus after the moonwalk, it's just briefly just drums at "billie jean is...". I think the vocals after the moonwalk in July 23 are better than July 16 but overall July 16 seems like a more energetic performance. Also he does the spotwalk quite a bit longer while in July 23 he does it for like a second and the camera angle shows it badly (I think the camera angles on the jumbotron are worse on July 23 than July 16, more overlaying effects, although July 23 wins in the toe stand view while 16th fails miserably). On the 16th he also walked up the stairs to sing his adlibs and kicked again while picking up his hat. They're very similar in the spotlight end dance but I like 16th better. However he puts a lot of energy jumping back to the mic stand before throwing his hat on the 23rd, but not as much improvisation like the hat posing he does on the 16th.

I'll come back to this later after I review more of them (I doubt I can get through it all).

Beat It - I think he was more in tune in the July 16th concert, but "you wanna be a man" in July 23 was actually sung while in the 16th he just spoke the words for that line (it really depends on how you look at it, it is a sort of style too). He also does a toe stand right during the first chorus.

I actually liked it in the audio from the 16th as he pressed "you wanna be A MAN"

I only heared this one from the 16th, but i dont like it when in the chorus 'no one wants to be defeated' the male voices sing 'or right'. I never heard that in other concerts and i did'nt liked it

what part do you mean exactly? I don't hear anything wrong with it.

I think APOM from July 16th is definitely the best, the aaow is much higher than other performances.

Bad from both July 15 and 16 are equally great, but from July 15 is better where he does the reverse moonwalk (actually a James Brown shuffle done forward with some sliding) and he ends the break facing the side of the stage. July 16 is unusual where he faces the audience covering his face to end the first half of the song.

Bad Groove Interlude from 15 July is Awesome !!!!!!!!!!! Much Better than 16 July.

I would have prefered another Wembley concert instead of the 16th because the setlists on those shows feel more complete with The Way You Make Me Feel being included. Was the 16th the only show the estate had access to or did they choose it simply because it was the concert Princess Diana atteneded?

I would have prefered another Wembley concert instead of the 16th because the setlists on those shows feel more complete with The Way You Make Me Feel being included. Was the 16th the only show the estate had access to or did they choose it simply because it was the concert Princess Diana atteneded?

It would seem that was the only reason. They could have just called it LIVE AT WEMBLEY and mentioned somewhere that she attended one of the 7 shows.
It's irrelevant that she was in the audience.

It's obvious that the estate has the 15th show's VHS (most likely to be full) as well. And I think they could have more VHS and won't tell us. The reason why they didn't mention about 15th's VHS is probably that they thought the concert Princess Diana atteneded would sell better, and they don't want fans to overthink.

Actually I prefer the 15th show for some reasons. And I would be 1000 times happier if they have chosen to release Man In The Mirror on 15th (with blue shirt) instead of those 2 songs from Yokohama.

It's obvious that the estate has the 15th show's VHS (most likely to be full) as well. And I think they could have more VHS and won't tell us. The reason why they didn't mention about 15th's VHS is probably that they thought the concert Princess Diana atteneded would sell better, and they don't want fans to overthink.

Actually I prefer the 15th show for some reasons. And I would be 1000 times happier if they have chosen to release Man In The Mirror on 15th (with blue shirt) instead of those 2 songs from Yokohama.

They have the u-matic (higher than vhs) for the 15th, as well as multi tracks.

Judging from the quality of the bonus video, it's clearly an VHS. If they have both the U-matic and the multi-tracks, they would release the 15th show for sure.

Nah, the quality is blatantly different from the main feature.
It's almost like they intentionally didn't touch the bonus video up very much, or dumbed it down so it wouldn't look too superior to the main feature.
And the multi tracks they have, which has been established they have for the 15th and 16th (the fact that they have it in 5.1 proves it too).

They didn't chose it because apparently his performance was better the 16th (can't possibly be that much better/worse) and for some reason Diana was somehow a selling point.

July 16th is the best show simply because Michael's performance of Dirty Diana, Thriller, Beat it & Billie Jean slays!! and also because we have a full unedited pro concert of the second leg of the Bad Tour!! :imbad

how many amatuer shows (video) of wembley do we have? Just one right?

but the video quality of TWYMMF performance on the dvd doesn't look better than the July 16th concert.

To me it does because it is untouched. And it appears to me it has more potentional detail and info in the frame/shot than the concert does. It also isn't sharpened so mad, that's why outlines aren't as fat which I'm happy about. When watching concert and TWYMMF after that, both on my TV, I actually preferred TWYMMF.

To me it does because it is untouched. And it appears to me it has more potentional details and info in the frame than the concert does. It also isn't sharpened so mad, that's why outlines aren't as fat which I'm happy about. When watching concert and TWYMMF after that, both on my TV, I actually preferred TWYMMF.

When I watch TWYMMF performance on my computer it doesn't look very good. It looks better on my tv.

How do you know?

Because I know everything.

Also, it's been established on the forums already that they recorded multi tracks on the 15th and 16th from various sources (and TWYMMF has a 5.1 soundtrack so that settles that).

And the quality of the video is different from the main feature. It looks better, but as above person said, untouched. As if to not make it look that much better. And the estate said they have other u-matics.

Who votes for July 15 release? lol TWYMMF was what I expected in terms of HQ..looks like lounis tape beta quality...U-Matic Quality :)

Still I believe it's just a promo tape where the previous Bad performance we have came from as well. They look to be about the same quality. The only difference is the Bad performance has a lot of crowd shots like the little boy with the MJ hat and stuff like that.

We so far have these amateur audio for sure:
July 14 - Best quality amateur audio
August 26 - Not as good as July 14

Birchey said July 15 exists but I have not heard it except the pro snippets. He probably knows more.

For video:
July 23 (or maybe 22nd) + July 16 Ending

Because I know everything.

Also, it's been established on the forums already that they recorded multi tracks on the 15th and 16th from various sources (and TWYMMF has a 5.1 soundtrack so that settles that).

And the quality of the video is different from the main feature. It looks better, but as above person said, untouched. As if to not make it look that much better. And the estate said they have other u-matics.

First of all, no one knows everything. We all have to rely on our own judgment.

Secondly, the bonus of the 15th show is clearly taken from an VHS tape that wasn't sent to the same lab that enhanced the main DVD. I think Sony only did a little enhancement themselves. It doesn't look more limpid, but I also prefer 15th bonus, just because the colour correction was not screwed up like the 16th was. Please take a good look at the image of The Way You Make Me Feel again.

Remember the Estate said: "...(and hold out hope that someday we might find the Umatic of the Wembley concert)...". To me it means they haven't found the Umatic for not just the Diana concert, but for the every Wembley concert. We all know that the multitrack audio of 15th exists, so if they do have the Umatic for that night, it would be perfect to just release that concert, and they don't need to explain about the quality at all.

I've just watched TWYMMF again and I can say, being 100% sure, that Hunterr is right. They have U-matic for July 15th and what's more, they used it on DVD release. Just some things, that shows it's not a VHS that was used:
- a regular, normal noise
- natural colors
- much more details are visible
- MJ's hair looks natural
- the side-stage lights looks natural

Clearly no filters were used on this song. No denoising, no sharpening. Whites looks great comparing to restored July 16th and there's no sign of VHS ripping which is very much noticible at some points on the rest of DVD. So just take Rome '88 and play along, next to TWYMMF and you'll see that it's the same source. It's just untouched but still looks much better than July 16th. And yes, I agree that it was a marketing gimmick to release the show that was attended by Princess Diana and show that comes straight form MJ's personal VHS as many fans didn't and still do not care about the quality that much :) But still, I hope The Estate will release July 15th with properly mixed 5.1 and from well enhanced U-matic tape :)

Obviously the show from july 16th is perfect, but if I could I choose the show from 14th or 15th simply because TWYMMF is in setlist, it's my favorite song, don't take me wrong but I prefer it than the presence of Lady Diana(she just appears before show begin).

Why didn't Michael perform TWYMMF on the 16th?

Michael should have had the audience stay later and perform TWYMMF. I'm sure they would have appreciated it :p
I think that if he had performed TWYMMF and as a result gone over the permitted play time when performing MITM, the arrangers would probably pull the electrical plug and shut down the stage equipment. This infamously happened back in summer when Bruce Springsteen played at Hyde Park and went over the permitted play time when Paul McCartney joined in as a special appearance for the last song 'Twist and Shout'.

ricardofac47;3721233 said:
Because of Michael's meeting with Princess Diana the show started late then he took off it from the setlist to finish in time, but was really a pity :/

I was just wondering why MJ performed Dirty Diana on this night when Princess Diana was in attendance? I have read before that when MJ talked to the Princess before the show she asked him if he was going to do DD and he said that he had taken it out in respect to her, and that it was too late to put it back into the setlist. But it seems that it was completely wrong. What´s with the story that I´ve heard, does anyone know??

Back