Weekends News Aug 7 - 9 (Updatae for August 9, 2009 on post #20)

mariemarie

Guests
Larry Nimmer have posted a second clip from “Michael Jackson: The Untold Story of Neverland”. It can be seen at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8dP6em7QZ0&feature=channel.

He also wants to thank us for our continuing good work in support of Michael Jackson and his legacy.

I'm in a real hurry, so all your lovely people, post the good articles in here :)

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1997 - The Jackson Five single (1969) "I Want You Back" was certified gold and platinum by the RIAA.

CC4CC86BD7BB0B1F43566682528.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Weekends News Aug 7 - 9

bumping from page 2 for more news:)

i think the world needs to see this documentary,i just ordered it on amazon,

Can any member post news items here as long as we have a source and a link? If not I apologizze.. I just was scanning the news and look whos name I found on an insurance policy on Michael from Lloyds of London. If you go all the way down to the bottom you will see Dr. Tohomes name!! And the puzzle pieces start to come together, Im sure we will continue to find out more and more sadly.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-jackson-insurance7-2009aug07,0,5290158.story

Michael Jackson was scheduled for a second physical
Lloyd's, the British carrier underwriting the majority of the risk for the pop star's planned comeback concerts, insisted on follow-up tests by a London physician.
By Harriet Ryan
August 7, 2009
Michael Jackson was scheduled to undergo a second physical by an insurance company doctor at the time of his death, according to the terms of the policy purchased by the promoter of his planned comeback concerts in London.

A New York doctor gave Jackson a battery of medical tests in February so promoter AEG Live could get insurance for a portion of the performances, but the British carrier underwriting the majority of the risk, Lloyd's, insisted on a follow-up physical by a London physician closer to the July 13 kickoff show.

Under the terms in place when Jackson died, the $17.5-million policy covered only "losses" -- cancellations or non-appearances by the pop icon "resulting from accident." That coverage could have been expanded to include shows scuttled by a death from natural causes or by illness, but only after insurance officials had reviewed the results of the second medical examination and watched a run-through of the show at the O2 Arena.

Jackson, 50, died June 25, the week before he was to travel to London.

On Thursday, AEG Live provided a copy of the policy to Jackson's mother, Katherine, in what the company said was an effort to quell misinformation about its terms. The entertainer's father, Joe Jackson, suggested in an interview Sunday with Fox News' Geraldo Rivera that there was something suspicious about the AEG policy.

According to a copy obtained by The Times, the policy specifically prohibited a payout if cancellations were related to illegal drug use.

"This insurance does not cover any loss directly or indirectly arising out of, contributed to, by or resulting from . . . the illegal possession or illicit taking of drugs and their effects," the policy read.

Jackson, who had struggled with prescription drug addiction, was taking medication at the time of his death. Authorities are investigating the role drugs may have played in his death and are mulling charges against his personal physician, Dr. Conrad Murray. The L.A. County coroner's office has not yet released the results of a toxicology screen. AEG has said that the company is awaiting an official determination of death before trying to collect on the policy.

L.A.-based AEG has said getting insurance coverage for the troubled singer's comeback effort was difficult. The Lloyd's policy covered the income expected to be generated during the first 13 of the 50 planned concerts.

The promoter's chief executive, Randy Phillips, has said the company spent up to $30 million mounting the elaborate show but expects to recoup the investment by collecting on the insurance policy and embarking on various deals with the Jackson estate, including a documentary film.

Much of the policy appears standard, but aspects testify to Jackson's global fame. In an effort to guard his privacy, Jackson was referred to throughout the policy as Mark Jones. The policy also indicates the high stakes in keeping Jackson healthy. With a common cold carrying a potential cost in the millions, the policy barred Jackson from holding "meet-and-greets" with fans.

The policy, finalized in April, also covered Jackson's then-manager, Dr. Tohme Tohme.

"I think they put me on the insurance because we were traveling together and we were going to be together," the businessman said.

harriet.ryan@latimes.com

Prince in Talks for Michael Jackson Tribute Performance

3482994869_87848ceea5_m.jpg

Prince may have spent some time shooting hoops with Michael Jackson at Paisley Park and the pair did “share” the stage once, but there’s no doubt they had more than a bit of a rivalry in the 1980s and beyond. As MTV’s Kyle Anderson noted, the similarities between the King of Pop and the Purple One—reclusiveness, similar combination of genres, peaking on the charts around the same time, etc.—made their competition for the pop music crown kind of inevitable.
In the wake of Michael Jackson’s tragic passing, a response from his former foe appears to have finally arrived in the form of a musical tribute. MSNBC’s Courtney Hazlett reports that organizers of the World Music Awards have booked Janet Jackson to accept an award on her brother’s behalf (he was set to receive it before he died) and… drum roll… Prince is in talks to do a tribute performance.
Interestingly, the World Music Awards is taking place this fall in Monaco where Prince is scheduled to perform next week at the Monaco Opera House. Warm-up show, n’est-ce pas?

http://www.twentyfourbit.com/post/158083473/prince-in-talks-for-michael-jackson-tribute-performance

Hope it's true!!! :wild:

that would be so great,if Prince will do a tribute performance :yes:

Hey everyone it has certainly been a long time. I hope that each and everyone of you are doing fine. We shall get through this together with the help of one another. Please never hesitate to come here to MJJC whenever you are in need of someone to talk to or a shoulder to cry on. We are here as a family and shall continue to be a family for the sake of Michael Jackson.

I will be back in a few to update this thread.

I read a couple of interesting articles from the San Francisco Examiner dated today (8/7/09):

Stevie Wonder breaks silence on Michael Jackson: 'If he wasn't at peace, he is in the arms of God'

August 6, 11:24 PM · Katrina-Kasey Wheeler - Pop Media Examiner

APThe legendary Stevie Wonder has broken his silence on the passing of his longtime friend, and collaborator Michael Jackson. In a new interview Wonder says of friend, he is 'someone very, very special to the world.' And that 'if he wasn't at peace, he is in the arms of God.' Wonder penned a song called, 'In the Arms of God' and now it may be a tribute song to MJ.

Wonder urges people to celebrate Michael Jackson's legacy rather than focusing on the swirling rumors, speculation and negativity that has been discussed following MJ's passing. The legendary singer-songwriter also reminds us that musicians aren't the only individuals with the power to change the world - everyone has that power to make a change. No one will live forever and we all have to do our best to have a positive impact.

Youtube video of Stevie's Interview and him singing a few lyrics of the tribute song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGM1YRF7sP8

Another Prince article in regards to the World Music Awards tribute:

Prince to do Michael Jackson tribute performance at World Music Awards, Janet to accept award for MJ

August 7, 11:44 AM · Katrina-Kasey Wheeler - Pop Media Examiner

APIn a new report it is being alleged that Prince will be paying tribute to Michael Jackson in a performance at the World Music Awards. Janet Jackson is also said to appear as she will be accepting an award that will be given to MJ.

MSNBC reports:

What will take place at the World Music Awards? Janet Jackson will not perform, but organizers expect she will accept an award on behalf of Michael, who was due to receive the award prior to his death. Also, Prince is in talks to do a tribute performance to Michael Jackson.

It is also being reported that there will be numerous artists that will appear on an upcoming tribute album for Michael Jackson which will benefit various charities that he donated to.

Akon's tribute song to Michael Jackson: 'Cry Out of Joy'
August 7, 12:55 AM · Katrina-Kasey Wheeler - Pop Media Examiner

APA new song has surfaced and hit the internet by Akon which is a tribute song to none other than the King of Pop Michael Jackson entitled 'Cry Out of Joy.'

Akon recently was interviewed by MTV for a special on MJ entitled, Michael Jackson's Human Nature and Akon discussed what it was like meeting MJ for the first time.

He said: "So I'm going upstairs [to meet him], I knock on the door, his bodyguard opens and says, 'OK, he's waiting to meet you.' I walk in and [Michael's] in this spinning chair, but it's facing backwards, so I walk in the room, but his back is turned, and the guard says, 'Hey, Mike, Akon's here.' So he spins around, like it was choreographed — so right away I was like, 'Oh boy,' " he laughed.

"But as soon as he turns around, gets up, 'Yo, what up, man?!' and I was like, 'What up, Mike?' and he gave me a pound, we hugged each other. He's like, 'Yo, I've been waiting to meet you for so long, this is a great honor, thanks for showing up, thanks for making the time.' And in my mind I'm like, 'You know, I should be thanking you for making the time.'

"It was the craziest thing, because we sat down, we talked about Africa, we talked about my foundation [Konfidence], we talked about the music, we talked about girls. We had a great, incredible time that day," he continued. "He was extremely funny, he told jokes, and he liked to have fun."

A new report states that a number of the top artists of today who also collaborated with Michael Jackson will be involved in a tribute album which will benefit various charities close to MJ's heart.

The following are the lyrics to 'Cry Out of Joy':

You will be missed by all your fans,
I clench my fists cause it's so hard to respect,
If I had the power to change one thing
It'd bring you back to me,
But life's not promised and that won't change,
I'm a meet you there some day

In this lifetime
I wanna thank you for showin' me the man in the mirror
In this lifetime
I wanna thank you, you motivated the whole world to deliver
We cry out of joy
We cry out of joy
We cry out of joy
We cry out of joy
We cry out of joy
We cry out of joy
We cry out of joy
We cry out of joy
You're so much more then a heart

Oh I wish the world could see you the way I did,
And I wish they witnessed how wonderful a dad you were to all your kids
And I noticed it didn't stop there
Saving children was one of your goals
Just donating all of your millions
So they could one day rule the world

In this lifetime
In this lifetime
We cry out of joy
We cry out of joy
We cry out of joy
We cry out of joy
We cry out of joy
We cry out of joy
We cry out of joy
We cry out of joy

One word for the media
Please help the people see the love
Stop this garbage you're feeding us
Show him for who he really was

Remember there was more to come
Remember he's the chosen one
Remember him for wars he's won
Remember him for what he's done

In this lifetime
In this lifetime
We cry out of joy
We cry out of joy
We cry out of joy
We cry out of joy
We cry out of joy
We cry out of joy
We cry out of joy
We cry out of joy

SPOKEN:
Rest in peace and harmony Michael
I love you man

I also saw this article underneath all of the Michael Jackson articles on the Examiner:

Attention Michael Jackson supporters: There is a wonderful new project in the form of a portrait that millions of fans worldwide can take part in. A Portrait of Michael Jackson created from millions of hand-drawn dots will invite millions of fans worldwide to become part of Jackson's legacy by getting a free dot in the portrait in their name. A dot is not drawn on the canvas until someone signs up for it; at least one million fans (dots) are needed to complete the image of the King of Pop, with room in the portrait for many more millions to participate. The organizers of this tribute have the support of Ken Kragen, who was responsible for "We Are the World," The Robson Family (Joy, Wade and Chantal), and Don Wilson, the creator / director / producer of the "Man in the Mirror" video. Proceeds will be donated to several charities that were dear to Michael, including The Make A Wish Foundation. Every single hand-drawn dot David places on his canvas represents a real person. People have joined David's projects from over 150 countries. Every Michael Jackson fan will be able to get a free hand-drawn dot added to the portrait in their name. Thus far people representing over 100 countries have signed up to take part in this project. The Michael Jackson Tribute Portrait is a partner of The Michael Jackson Fan Club (http://www.MJfanclub.net), the largest Michael Jackson fan club in the world, which was supported by Jackson himself.

If 250,000 fans vote at SupportJacksonPortrait.com the drawing will begin. A dedicated website will be created so people can sign up for their free dot. People will be able to attach a message to their dot if they choose. Every time someone signs up, a dot will be hand drawn in the work of art in their name. People will be able to go online to see the portrait as it evolves toward completion and read some of the messages.

Please sign up at SupportJacksonPortrait.com and be a part of this tribute to the King of Pop.

Here is the link to read more about the portrait:

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...-portrait-An-interview-with-artist-David-Ilan

Thank you elmari for bringing those articles. Sorry about not updating soon enough had to go run an errand. Be back with updates.

Michael Jackson News:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iXymRgocDsCEKxjV2DORLQX8UjbgD99UCJDG0

Judge approves Jackson collectors' items

By ANTHONY McCARTNEY (AP) – 23 minutes ago
LOS ANGELES — The King of Pop is coming to calendars and collectors' coin cases after a judge approved several deals involving the singer's estate on Friday.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Mitchell Beckloff signed off on agreements for Jackson-themed items including calendars, school supplies, posters and a commemorative coin. He also granted authority so that reprints of Jackson's autobiography "Moonwalk" can be sold in China, Korea and several Eastern European countries.
Beckloff also agreed to allow Jackson's estate to partner with Apple's iTunes to sell songs and videos of Jermaine Jackson's performance of the Charlie Chaplain song "Smile" at the pop singer's public memorial.
The deals were presented to the judge by the current administrators of Jackson's estate, attorney John Branca and music executive John McClain. Financial details of the agreements were not disclosed.
They offer a hint at Jackson's post-death marketability, and a pending deal may bring even more Jackson-themed merchandise to store shelves and electronics.
Beckloff has scheduled a hearing on Monday to decide whether to approve other deals involving Jackson, including a movie project that would feature the singer's final rehearsals and preparations for a series of comeback concerts in London.
Columbia Pictures has agreed to pay $60 million for the rights to footage shot for Jackson's "This is It" concerts, but the deal must be approved by Monday. The extra time was granted to give the singer's mother, Katherine Jackson, time to consider the proposed contracts and voice any opposition to them.
Beckloff is also considering a deal between the estate and merchandiser Bravado for worldwide distribution rights to several Jackson-themed products, including trading cards, apparel, lighters, stuffed animals that play Jackson's music and digital apparel and even tattoos for online games such as "Second Life."
The deals remain an important piece of the Jackson's financial puzzle and could offset potential losses by concert promoter AEG Live, which spent more than $30 million organizing the singer's 50-show comeback in London. A copy of an insurance policy covering the first 13 of Jackson's shows states it did not cover cancellations if the singer was found to have illegally possessed drugs or was involved in the "illicit taking of drugs."
Authorities are focusing on drugs administered to Jackson in the hours before his death, according to law enforcement officials not authorized to speak publicly. It remains unclear whether the drugs given to Jackson would nullify the policy, which could pay out up to $17.5 million.
An attorney for Branca and McClain stated in a court filing earlier this week that the deals are expected to bring Jackson's estate tens of millions of dollars.
Jackson died June 25 in Los Angeles and was heavily in debt. His music returned to the top of the charts in the weeks after his death, and attorneys for the current administrators of his estate have said they are hoping to quickly approve several deals to maximize profits from interest in Jackson's life.
Jackson's assets are being placed into a private trust. His three children and Katherine Jackson, who is their guardian, are slated to receive 80 percent of the superstar's estate, with the rest going to unnamed charities.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gfpIxppL8yPmYoqhTKBAqj8LzfmwD99UCGKO2

Jackson insurance excluded 'illicit' drug use

By RYAN NAKASHIMA (AP) – 30 minutes ago
LOS ANGELES — The insurance taken out on Michael Jackson for his London concert series does not cover cancellations if the pop star was found to have illegally possessed drugs or was involved in the "illicit taking of drugs," according to a copy of the policy provided Friday to The Associated Press.
It was not immediately clear whether any medications Jackson was taking would negate a payout up to $17.5 million, which would ultimately benefit his estate.
Jackson's doctor administered multiple sedatives along with the powerful anesthetic propofol, a potentially lethal combination, hours before the singer died June 25, a law enforcement official who requested anonymity because the death investigation is ongoing told the AP.
The insurance policy, covering the first 13 shows of the 50-show run, was taken out by Jackson and concert promoter AEG Live in April. Such a policy and its provisions are considered standard for events on the scale of the one for which Jackson was preparing.
A New York doctor with no connection to AEG Live conducted a medical exam of Jackson in Los Angeles in February. AEG Live Chief Executive Randy Phillips said he was told by the insurance underwriter that Jackson passed "with flying colors." The exam results were shown to the insurers, but not to AEG Live.
A copy of the insurance policy shows that it had several clauses that would prevent a payout, including if the singer concealed information or acted carelessly to increase the risk of a no-show.
AEG Live and the special administrators of Jackson's estate have been moving quickly to cut business deals that will help the concert promoter recoup the more than $30 million it is currently owed by his estate. An insurance payout would go a long way to reducing the estate's obligation to AEG Live.
The promoter is also in line to quickly cover its costs if a $60 million payment from Sony Corp.'s movie division to distribute a film based on rehearsal footage is approved by a court Monday.
Also in the works for court approval is a merchandising deal with Bravado, a unit of Vivendi SA's Universal Music Group, which had signed a deal with AEG Live in July and has been selling Jackson goods online since then.
The estate is in line to receive 90 percent of the proceeds from the business deals after AEG Live's initial costs have been covered, according to documents filed in court this week.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iJTOVbtRsTuQHvxQ8ZcRVJIXnNRQD99UBOOG0

Jermaine Jackson's 'Smile' coming to iTunes

(AP) – 1 hour ago
LOS ANGELES — Jermaine Jackson's rendition of "Smile" sung at his brother's public memorial is coming to iTunes.
A judge granted Michael Jackson's estate a request to enter into an agreement with Apple to distribute the song on its popular music downloading service.
The agreement calls for both the audio and video of the performance to be sold. Documents immediately available didn't say how much the deal is worth.
Jermaine Jackson said the song, written by silent film star Charlie Chaplin, was Michael Jackson's favorite.
He performed the number wearing one sequined glove as a tribute to his brother.

The Song Is Mine: Sony/ATV Pursues New Opportunities
August 07, 2009 - Publishing

By Ed Christman, N.Y.

The death of a co-owner is a sad and difficult passage for any company.
But when the co-owner in question is Michael Jackson and the company is Sony/ATV Music Publishing, the proprietor of the Beatles song catalog, the transition is bound to attract the public spotlight.

And that suits Sony/ATV chairman/CEO Martin Bandier just fine.

Bandier--the legendary music publisher who joined the company in April 2007 after spending nearly two decades transforming EMI Music Publishing from a minor firm into an industry powerhouse--is clearly comfortable with being in the public eye, even if he's just as silent as other Sony Corp. executives on the topic of all things Jackson.

But the publishing veteran isn't bashful when it comes to talking about how he has turned around Sony/ATV from a sleepy company to a contender for every major deal that has come up since his arrival.

"In its history, Sony/ATV never won an ASCAP pop publisher of the year award and this year in May we won it," Bandier says. "That's a pretty remarkable accomplishment. I knew we would get there one day, but never thought we would do it within two years."

Sony/ATV shared the award with Bandier's old company, EMI Music Publishing, which suits the competitive executive just fine. In any event, Bandier plans on duplicating his EMI success at Sony/ATV, which is considered to be the smallest of the four major-owned music publishers and is half-owned by Sony.

"We have a great deal of autonomy and tremendous support from Sony, who are big believers in music publishing and copyright," Bandier says. "They have a real long-term view on growing this business and building it into the premier music publisher that I think it has become, although clearly not in terms of its size. But, shucks, it's only two-and-a-half years."

Bandier's impact at Sony/ATV is evident from studying Billboard's Top 10 Publisher Airplay chart (see page 18). Since its inception in second-quarter 2006, the chart has ranked publishers by their share of a given quarter's top 100 airplay songs as determined by Nielsen BDS. During the first four quarters of the chart before Bandier's arrival, Sony/ATV consistently placed either third or fourth. But during the last six quarters under his watch, Sony/ATV has ranked first once, second three times and third twice.

Since Bandier came aboard, Sony/ATV's key artist/songwriter signings and acquisitions have included Lady GaGa, Flo Rida, Sean Kingston, Akon, Shakira and, most recently, Enrique Iglesias. His key producer/writer signings have included RedOne (whose current projects include GaGa, Iglesias, Kingston and Adam Lambert), John Shanks (Bon Jovi, Colbie Caillat, Leona Lewis, Natasha Bedingfield) and Evan Bogart (Jordin Sparks, Beyoncé), as well as new signings Jeff Bhasker (Kanye West) and Boi-1da, writer/producer of Drake's current hit "Best I Ever Had."

Bandier's tenure at Sony/ATV began with the acquisitions of the Leiber & Stoller and Famous Music catalogs. And many industry executives wonder if Jackson's death will result in another acquisition--the remaining 50% of Sony/ATV owned by the trust created by Jackson and now managed by his estate. Sony executives declined to address the question directly.

"We are very happy with the tremendous growth and financial performance at Sony/ATV over the past few years," says Rob Wiesenthal, executive VP/CFO at Sony Corp. of America. "We are not sellers. We love this business and are completely focused on growing it."

Click here to read more about Sony/ATV's stake in the Beatles catalog, and the publisher's approach to expanding the business.
Share on LinkedInSAVE | EMAIL | PRINT | RSS | REPRINTS | Share

Ebony and Sister Sister have MJ articles... Ebony has a beautiful cover and in both mags.... Raymone Bains defends Michael and what a good father he was..

!B(14gH!!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-CoEjlLl)2U9BKeZYjg9ww~~_35.JPG

Vanity Fair is out in the UK! I bought my copy today! :) Awesome photos! And the interview with Michael playing hide-and-seek with the interviewer and giggling... lol

There is a very interesting web article on Katherine's Lawyer, Londell McMillan at People.com. I really like him and glad that Michael had a lawyer/friend like Londell, as well as, T-Mez.

INSIDE STORY: Katherine Jackson's Lawyer Opens Up About Her Plans

By Anne Marie Cruz

Originally posted Saturday August 08, 2009 08:15 AM EDT

It wasn't just a victory. It was finally a moment of relief for Michael Jackson's mother, Katherine, 79, when she won custody of her three grandchildren, Prince, 12, Paris, 11 and Blanket, 7.

And helping make this possible was New York lawyer L. Londell McMillan, whose longtime ties to the Jackson family are as personal as they are professional, giving him a uniquely intimate perspective on Katherine's ordeal.

"After last Monday, it was like a load was taken off of her, and she's kicking her heels a little bit," McMillan tells PEOPLE. "She's got her grandchildren, they're set. She's starting to rock and roll. She's getting her grandma swagger back."

The kids have been her saving grace amidst her son's tragedy. "It's been very painful for her," says McMillan. "But she has been busy trying to make sure that these children will be provided for."

Bonding with Michael, Katherine and Michael's Kids
McMillan, who got his law degree at New York University after majoring in collective bargaining at Cornell, began working with Michael about four years ago, when Jackson was faced with a breach of contract lawsuit filed by the Prince of Bahrain. "My relationship with Michael was one of trust," he explains.

He also represented Katherine in a couple matters, and built a connection with her. "I lost my mom almost 20 years ago, but [she and Katherine] were similar in being selfless, loving to laugh and being the most loyal person in the room," says McMillan. "Katherine is a wonderful lady."

His other credentials include helping Michael refinance his Beatles catalog, liberating the artist known as Prince from a Warner Bros. recording contract he was famously unhappy with, and founding the non-profit Artist Empowerment Coalition.

As for Michael's children, the lawyer says: "They're in a great spot. They love their grandma. She is a very vibrant and youthful 79-year-old woman. Mrs. Jackson will be the matriarch of love that she has always been for this family."

He also laughs when recalling the oasis of fun Hayvenhurst has been for Michael's kids. "They love spraying water guns on people – especially those in suits," says McMillan. "If you come into their space, you will get sprayed. Oh, they wait for me to turn that corner!"

Growing Up with Jay-Z
Before launching his career representing showbiz legends like Michael and Stevie Wonder, Katherine's lawyer came up through the Bedford-Stuyvesant projects in New York City.

"I went to the same junior high school as Jay-Z and [30 Rock star] Tracy Morgan," says McMillan, who dreamed of going to the NBA or NFL. "We were kids in the projects, running around."

Now McMillan co-owns the New Jersey Nets with Jay-Z, and is something of a hip-hop mogul himself: The publisher-owner of The Source magazine also co-owns a women's shape-wear line, Sliminizer with Kate Liegey, designer of Jessica Simpson's upcoming lingerie collection.

And while the custody case is over, there is much more to be done for Katherine. "She's focusing on making sure that Michael's estate will be protected, preserved and nurtured with her trust, counsel and care," says McMillan. "That's why she wants a seat at the table [regarding his will]. I am confident that Mrs. Jackson will honor the spirit of what Michael wanted."

Michael Jackson News for August 8, 2009:

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/entertai...ne_cashes_in_on_Michael_s_death-52624752.html
Scoop: Jermaine Cashes in on Michael’s Death

MJ brother plans a series of tribute concerts

By COURTNEY HAZLETT

Updated 3:38 AM PDT, Fri, Aug 7, 2009

AP

Michael Jackson has plenty of siblings who depended on him financially, but it’s brother Jermaine who seems to be doing the most to profit from him after his death.
Not only has Jermaine struck a deal to release a recording of “Smile,” the song he performed at Michael Jackson’s July 7 public memorial, but now there’s a series of tribute concerts he’s planning. Jermaine made the announcement during a taped interview with Larry King, which airs Aug. 7, according to multiple sources who had access to the interview.
What’s interesting about the announcement is right up until the interview, Jermaine was making calls to artists who were involved with the “This Is It Tour,” telling them the tribute concerts would be part of the World Music Awards. Not only is this not true, but the World Music Awards turned down a Jackson family appearance at the show, which will be taped in late October in Monaco, according to a person with direct knowledge of the Jacksons’ proposal.
“Two different people, each claiming to be representatives of the entire family called to ask if there was interest,” said the source. “Let’s say there was interest: First of all, no one represents the entire family, so that wasn’t right. Then, you can’t get past the issue of their travel needs. They said the entire family would have to travel from California to Monaco via chartered jet. And that’s just not going to happen.”

What will take place at the World Music Awards? Janet Jackson (who, it should be noted, is not to be lumped into Jermaine’s category — she’s been an example of pitch-perfect respect toward Michael and the situation as a whole) will not perform, but organizers expect she will accept an award on behalf of Michael, who was due to receive the award prior to his death. Also, Prince is in talks to do a tribute performance to Michael Jackson.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/08/07/earlyshow/leisure/celebspot/main5224748.shtml
MJ Estate to Pirates, Bootleggers: Beat It

Jacksons Taking Fight to Court to Regain Control of Michael Memorabilia

CBS) The King of Pop is dead, but his reign is far from over.

With fans clamoring for everything plastered with Michael Jackson's image, unauthorized souvenirs have flooded the market. And with millions of dollars at stake, his estate is preparing to try to stopt the flood of illegal memorabilia.

This as deal is being finalized to make footage from Jackson's final rehearsals into a major motion picture.

CBS News correspondent Ben Tracy reports that some people, such as suvenir salesman Jimmy Jam, have been cashing in on Jackson goods.

Jam said Jackson's death has created an underground "gray" market. "As soon as he passed, (fans were) blowing my phone up," he said, referring to the demand for Jackson memorabilia.

But Jackson's estate doesn't see a penny of the profits from illegal items, and neither do Jackson's beneficiaries: his mother and three kids.

Complete coverage of Jackson's life and death

That's why attorneys are now trying to get back control of Jackson's image, Tracy reported, by going to court to get approval on a massive merchandising deal.

Howard Weitzman, a Jackson family attorney said, "There will be a lot that will be done."

Weitzman said cease and desist letters will be sent to people bootlegging or pirating merchandise. That's because, Tracy said, most Jackson items you find in souvenir shops these days are unauthorized, costing his estate millions of dollars in lost revenue.

Attorney Alan Grodski told CBS News, "You want to scare (the pirates and bootleggers) and recognize, if you're the one who gets sued, you're going to spend money in legal fees, you're going to spend money in damages, and you're going to have a judgment against you."

Many of the authorized items for sale, Tracy reported, were designed by Jackson himself, in anticipation of the "This is It" concerts for the London comeback tour that never happened. Rehearsals were under way when Jackson died.

The administrators of Jackson's estate have also asked the judge to approve new Jackson memorabilia, including screen savers, lighters and stuffed animals that play his music.

http://www.javno.com/en-celebrities/jacksons-fans-obsessed-with-egyptian-sculpture_273841

RESEMBLANCE TO THE KING
Jackson`s Fans Obsessed With Egyptian Sculpture
Every day, masses of fan s campaign the Chicago museum just to stand in front of a 300-year-old Egyptian statue which looks like Jackson.
y210543131598893.jpg

Michael Jackson`s fans are truly grief-stricken. Their obsession runs so deep that they try to find a replacement for their idol with any means.
Every day, masses of fan s campaign the Field Museum in Chicago just to stand in front of a 300-year-old Egyptian statue. The deceased king of pop`s facial features match those of the anonymous woman. The lice carved in stone has equally round eyes like Jackson had and a slightly lifted nose.
Museum director Jim Phillips said that the museum takes many telephone calls and e-mails of fans who want to know whether a recent article which states the uncanny resemblance is true or not.
He added that some enter the museum and ask: “Where is Michael Jackson?”. The staff has to explain that he is not there, but that they have a statue which looks like him. See for yourselves if the resemblance is real.

Michael Jackson HIStory for August 8, 2009:

1981 - Michael Jackson's single "We're Almost THere" hit #46 in the U.K. six years after charting in the U.S.

1987 - Michael Jackson's "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" was released from the forthcoming album "Bad." The duet, with Siedah Garret, became the 7th #1 single of Michael's career.

covers.php

Ebony and Sister Sister have MJ articles... Ebony has a beautiful cover and in both mags.... Raymone Bains defends Michael and what a good father he was..

%21B%2814gH%21%21Wk%7E$%28KGrHgoH-CoEjlLl%292U9BKeZYjg9ww%7E%7E_35.JPG

Michael: Our Icon

Ebony devotes 20-page section to celebrate the life of music legend.

While knee-deep in completing the September issue, Ebony made the decision to switch gears and carve out a 20-page tribute to America’s pop icon, Michael Jackson. This special dedication takes a closer look into Michael’s life as a freedom fighter, philanthropist, friend, family man, entertainer and businessman. “So many people in Hollywood betrayed him, people he trusted. Hollywood turned on him. He was sensitive. You could not find a person who cared more about [other people’s] suffering,” said Steve Manning, Michael’s friend of 40 years.

Exodus News

To create the special section devoted to Michael Jackson, our team combed through old EBONY magazines and our photo archives in search of everything MJ. We had volumes to go through, starting with Ebony Jr. all the way through the last interview and photo shoot with Michael Jackson in 2007 that appeared in EBONY magazine. Everyone gathered stories about who Michael Jackson really was and his impact on Black America and the world. We looked back into our 2007 photo shoot and found images we shot behind the scenes. The result is this celebration of Michael Jackson, the man whom Berry Gordy so aptly labeled, “The greatest entertainer that ever lived.”

Ebony/Jet

Re: Weekends News Aug 7 - 9 (Updatae for August 8, 2009 on post #15)

MJ 'wanted his kids to become doctors'

ANI9 August 2009, 05:09pm
Michael Jackson once aspired to become a medicine man and wanted his children to follow the same path, it has emerged.

A friend claimed that the King of Pop wanted to see his kids- Prince, 12, Paris, 11, Blanket, 7- study hard in order to follow the respected profession of being doctors and not enter the glamour world.

"Michael also got his children interested in it. He made sure they were constantly learning. He wanted them to be highly educated and to follow a noble and well-respected profession - becoming a doctor was ideal," the Daily Star quoted the pal as saying.

The source said: "He didn’t want them to have the same troubles he had by going into showbiz. Paris was particularly interested in learning about anatomy.

It was apparently one of the reasons why he wanted Dr. Conrad Murray to stay with his family, who is now suspected of giving the singer powerful anaesthetic drugs which killed him.

The insider added: "That’s why Michael liked Dr Murray so much. He said the doctor always had time for the children and that he spoke to Prince and Paris about medicine and what it takes to be a doctor.

"In particular, Paris and Dr Murray spent quite a bit of time discussing his role as a cardiologist."

In fact, the pop legend’s 11-year-old daughter totally trusted the personal physician, the source said: "At the hospital on the day Michael died, Paris still had a lot of faith in Dr Murray because of the chats they’d had.

"She asked her gran Katherine how her daddy could have died because Dr Murray was the ‘world’s best cardiologist’."

The insider further revealed that Jackson was obsessed about becoming a medical practitioner and had even carried out a clandestine human dissection.

The pal added: "Michael secretly went along to dissect a foot, at the university, I think. I’m not sure when that was but he spoke about how interesting it was. He said it was his ultimate goal to become a doctor. I don’t think he quite realised how many years of study that takes.

"Michael ordered hundreds of books about medicine and the body and avidly read them.

"He was a very intelligent, articulate and educated man who loved soaking up knowledge from books. He encouraged his children to do the same."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ids-to-become-doctors/articleshow/4874109.cms

that would be so great,if Prince will do a tribute performance :yes:

haha^^ same as you...
Of course, prince is very likes his father (i mean his face)
if he can likes his father to be the entertainer,
i think he will makes us remind Michael,
And also gives us some comforted.

Michael Jckson News for August 9, 2009 coming up.

Michael Jackson News for August 9, 2009:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32346617/ns/entertainment-celebrities/
Katherine Jackson’s lawyer opens up

‘She’s getting her grandma swagger back,’ he says of singer’s mother

NEW YORK - It wasn't just a victory. It was finally a moment of relief for Michael Jackson's mother, Katherine, 79, when she won custody of her three grandchildren, Prince, 12, Paris, 11 and Blanket, 7.
And helping make this possible was New York lawyer L. Londell McMillan, whose longtime ties to the Jackson family are as personal as they are professional, giving him a uniquely intimate perspective on Katherine's ordeal.
"After last Monday, it was like a load was taken off of her, and she's kicking her heels a little bit," McMillan tells PEOPLE. "She's got her grandchildren,” they're set. She's starting to rock and roll. She's getting her grandma swagger back."

The kids have been her saving grace amidst her son's tragedy. "It's been very painful for her," says McMillan. "But she has been busy trying to make sure that these children will be provided for."
Bonding with Jacksons
McMillan, who got his law degree at New York University after majoring in collective bargaining at Cornell, began working with Michael about four years ago, when Jackson was faced with a breach of contract lawsuit filed by the Prince of Bahrain. "My relationship with Michael was one of trust," he explains.
He also represented Katherine in a couple matters, and built a connection with her. "I lost my mom almost 20 years ago, but [she and Katherine] were similar in being selfless, loving to laugh and being the most loyal person in the room," says McMillan. "Katherine is a wonderful lady."
His other credentials include helping Michael refinance his Beatles catalog, liberating the artist known as Prince from a Warner Bros. recording contract he was famously unhappy with, and founding the non-profit Artist Empowerment Coalition.
As for Michael's children, the lawyer says: "They're in a great spot. They love their grandma. She is a very vibrant and youthful 79-year-old woman. Mrs. Jackson will be the matriarch of love that she has always been for this family."
He also laughs when recalling the oasis of fun Hayvenhurst has been for Michael's kids. "They love spraying water guns on people — especially those in suits," says McMillan. "If you come into their space, you will get sprayed. Oh, they wait for me to turn that corner!"
Growing up with Jay-Z
Before launching his career representing showbiz legends like Michael and Stevie Wonder, Katherine's lawyer came up through the Bedford-Stuyvesant projects in New York City.
"I went to the same junior high school as Jay-Z and [30 Rock star] Tracy Morgan," says McMillan, who dreamed of going to the NBA or NFL. "We were kids in the projects, running around."

Now McMillan co-owns the New Jersey Nets with Jay-Z, and is something of a hip-hop mogul himself: The publisher-owner of The Source magazine also co-owns a women's shape-wear line, Sliminizer with Kate Liegey, designer of Jessica Simpson's upcoming lingerie collection.
And while the custody case is over, there is much more to be done for Katherine. "She's focusing on making sure that Michael's estate will be protected, preserved and nurtured with her trust, counsel and care," says McMillan. "That's why she wants a seat at the table [regarding his will]. I am confident that Mrs. Jackson will honor the spirit of what Michael wanted."

http://ydr.inyork.com/ci_13024498

In youth, Pa. man mirrored Michael Jackson

By ANDY VINEBERG Bucks County Courier Times
Updated: 08/09/2009 12:02:29 AM EDT

BRISTOL, Pa.—Nobody could be like Michael Jackson on stage. Few entertainers even tried.
Del Smith was one of the brave souls who did. He's spent much of his life attempting to emulate Jackson's ridiculously prodigious song-and-dance skills.
Not that he had much choice.
From the time Smith began performing for friends and neighbors as a young boy growing up in Bristol, about 20 miles northeast of Philadelphia along the Delaware River and New Jersey border, audiences thought of him as Michael Jackson.
Not because he was anywhere near as talented as Jackson—hardly anybody in the world is—but because he looked uncannily like the music superstar.
"Growing up, I must have had a trillion people say to me, 'Man, you look like Michael Jackson,'" Smith says. "I grew up being him. When I got into my 20s, I finally had to ask people to stop calling me that."
Smith, 47, used the resemblance to his advantage, performing professionally as a Jackson impersonator in local clubs during the height of King of Pop-mania—the 1979-84 "Off the Wall"-"Thriller" era.
Jackson was EVERYWHERE at that time, so the ability to sing and dance like him, even a little bit—and, of course, look like him—was obviously a boon to Smith's social life.
"Guys would come up to me and ask if their wives could dance with me," he recalls. "It was so flattering." He met his first wife while performing as Jackson at the old Holiday Inn in Bristol.

"I studied his dance moves, everything about him," Smith says. "I could sing every song he ever made."
Smith lost most of the photos of himself performing as Jackson in a fire, but there's a picture of him sporting an afro published in 1980 that you'd swear is a young Jackson staring back at you from the yellowed newspaper clipping.
Smith first began emulating Jackson in the late '60s, when he was the precocious, charismatic lead singer of the Jackson 5. Smith's parents were musically talented—his mother Marian taught ballet and had performed under the stage name Tangerine—and they encouraged him to show off his own talents and physical likeness to Jackson.
He remembers being asked by his parents to perform for the neighborhood in front of the family's storefront home.
"I didn't mind at the time, but looking back, I can see how he felt," Smith says, referring to the way Jackson's childhood was sacrificed for a career in music.
Smith's last performance as Jackson was six years ago, and it was a surprise to the 300 people in attendance. It came during his wedding day with his second and current wife, Jenny.
He sneaked out of the room during the reception and re-emerged wearing a tux similar to the one Jackson wore on the cover of his 1979 "Off the Wall" album, complete with a white shirt and a white glove that Smith made himself.
He grabbed the cordless microphone and sang the early Jackson 5 classic "I'll Be There" to his new wife.
"It was kind of my last hurrah," he says.

"He helped shape some of my character as a human being—all his charity work and the way he gave back to others," Smith says. "Listen to his songs, and they all have meaning. 'Man in the Mirror'—when I was younger I used to run around and do some dumb songs—and that song hit me so strong."
So it's no surprise that Smith was still in shock days after Jackson's death.
"I'm, like, totally down," he says. "It's like part of our generation has died."
Smith's dancing days are done—"I can't cut a rug like I used to"—so the retired diesel technician spends much of his time building cars. He worked for four years on the 1987 Pro-Street Camaro in his driveway, a car he calls his "Thriller."
Somehow, everything in his life always gets back to Michael.
"It's really heartbreaking that a person who was such an icon is out of our lives," Smith says. ———

http://www.thetelegraph.com/news/jackson-29930-sivia-child.html
Jackson case points to need for wills

Comments 1 | Recommend 0

August 08, 2009 10:33 PM

By DAN BRANNAN
The Telegraph
Pop star Michael Jackson left behind a musical legacy, but how he handled his will and child guardianship also opened eyes.
Many in the country have pondered their own will/child guardianship situations after Jackson's death.
Statistics show 80 percent of Americans die without a will, leaving no plan in place for who will raise their children and how to distribute assets.
Todd Sivia, an attorney with Sivia Business & Legal Services P.C., offices in Alton and Edwardsville, specializes in child guardianships and living wills. He said he hopes Jackson's death encourages parents to consider whether or not they have a will or child guardianship set up for their families.
"It's always a morbid discussion when you talk about wills and trusts," Sivia said. "No one likes to do it and that is why so many don't do it. You are talking about your death. It's not about what you do during your lifetime, but the legacy you leave for people. Do you want people to have a lasting memory that I had to spend thousands of dollars and go through probate or that this was easy when you die?"
When clients visit Sivia, he gives them a questionnaire, and his firm works to establish child guardians upon a person's death or disability. A standby guardian is established if something happens to a person or their spouse. A short-term guardian also is appointed and an exclusion of guardian letter is established.
Instructions are given to caregivers about which guardian to reach if something goes awry.
"If a situation happens where they are out and they tell a baby sitter they will be back by 10 o'clock from dinner and a movie and they don't show up, the baby sitter calls police," Sivia said. "The police come out and take custody of the children and call DCFS. They make assumptions and hopefully they are right. In my children's guardianship program you give directions to the baby sitter on who to call. The permanent guardian may be in Delaware and can't get there for a few hours, so sometimes neighbors are established as temporary guardians."
Michael Jackson also had a large amount of assets in his estate and much of that will likely have to go through probate, Sivia said.
"In a living will and trust, about 90 percent of the time people can avoid going through probate," Sivia said. "There are so many cases when people die at a young age. No one believes it will happen."
Sivia said Jackson will be remembered as a great pop star, but also will be referenced in legal circles by some of the rights and wrongs of wills and child guardianship plans.
"There will be a lot of unnecessary legal fees and costs," he said. "The kids are torn. We have to look at the kids. It's not about anything but the protection of these kids."

RESEMBLANCE TO THE KING
Jackson`s Fans Obsessed With Egyptian Sculpture
Every day, masses of fan s campaign the Chicago museum just to stand in front of a 300-year-old Egyptian statue which looks like Jackson.
y210543131598893.jpg

Michael Jackson`s fans are truly grief-stricken. Their obsession runs so deep that they try to find a replacement for their idol with any means.
Every day, masses of fan s campaign the Field Museum in Chicago just to stand in front of a 300-year-old Egyptian statue. The deceased king of pop`s facial features match those of the anonymous woman. The lice carved in stone has equally round eyes like Jackson had and a slightly lifted nose.
Museum director Jim Phillips said that the museum takes many telephone calls and e-mails of fans who want to know whether a recent article which states the uncanny resemblance is true or not.
He added that some enter the museum and ask: “Where is Michael Jackson?”. The staff has to explain that he is not there, but that they have a statue which looks like him. See for yourselves if the resemblance is real.
LOL there is actually some resemblance.. :yes: :D

Michael Jackson News for August 9, 2009:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32346617/ns/entertainment-celebrities/
Katherine Jackson’s lawyer opens up

‘She’s getting her grandma swagger back,’ he says of singer’s mother

NEW YORK - It wasn't just a victory. It was finally a moment of relief for Michael Jackson's mother, Katherine, 79, when she won custody of her three grandchildren, Prince, 12, Paris, 11 and Blanket, 7.
"After last Monday, it was like a load was taken off of her, and she's kicking her heels a little bit," McMillan tells PEOPLE. "She's got her grandchildren,” they're set. She's starting to rock and roll. She's getting her grandma swagger back."
Aww Go Katherine!! :clapping:

Thanks for all the news :)

KOREA
[NEW RELEASES] Michael Jackson
August 10, 2009​

09221508.jpg

Before “Bad,” before “Beat It” and before “Thriller,” there was “Off the Wall.”

It was 1979, and with his fifth solo album Michael Jackson was out to prove that he could make the transition into the decade he would ultimately define.

Off the Wall has Jackson’s songwriting debut, the dance masterpiece “Don’t Stop ’Til You Get Enough,” and nine other exciting tracks that point the way to his future as the King of Pop.

The echoes of Motown are still present on the album, but they’re growing faint as Jackson strikes out on his own. The results are still staggering, from the irresistible “Workin’ Day and Night” to the buoyant “Rock With You” and the incomparably funky title track.

This Korean reissue of a special edition that first came out in 2001 also contains snippets of interviews with songwriter Rod Temperton and producer Quincy Jones that offer little more than a tantalizing peek behind the scenes. The two demo versions of the album’s Jackson-penned hits are stunningly listenable, proving that it wasn’t just the slick production. Jackson was the real thing.

By Ben Applegate

Michael Jackson

“Off the Wall”

Label: Epic Records

Genre: Pop

http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2908530

Michael: Our Icon

Ebony devotes 20-page section to celebrate the life of music legend.

While knee-deep in completing the September issue, Ebony made the decision to switch gears and carve out a 20-page tribute to America’s pop icon, Michael Jackson. This special dedication takes a closer look into Michael’s life as a freedom fighter, philanthropist, friend, family man, entertainer and businessman. “So many people in Hollywood betrayed him, people he trusted. Hollywood turned on him. He was sensitive. You could not find a person who cared more about [other people’s] suffering,” said Steve Manning, Michael’s friend of 40 years.

Exodus News

To create the special section devoted to Michael Jackson, our team combed through old EBONY magazines and our photo archives in search of everything MJ. We had volumes to go through, starting with Ebony Jr. all the way through the last interview and photo shoot with Michael Jackson in 2007 that appeared in EBONY magazine. Everyone gathered stories about who Michael Jackson really was and his impact on Black America and the world. We looked back into our 2007 photo shoot and found images we shot behind the scenes. The result is this celebration of Michael Jackson, the man whom Berry Gordy so aptly labeled, “The greatest entertainer that ever lived.”

Ebony/Jet

they have the interview the azz Tom Joyner did with Michael on the Ebony site..............I like the interview but T Joyner has become a bafoon...
he was even defending Dr Murray when Rev Al told him that Dr Murray was James Brown doctor when he died and also James Brown's wife doctor when she died.............he doesn't apology for once again hating on Michael ... all he did was just make a joke.......................butt - o

ap_logo_106.png
Report: Jackson kids' godfather claims paternity

Sun Aug 9, 1:07 am ET

LONDON – A British tabloid reported Saturday that the godfather of Michael Jackson's three children claims to be the father of the singer's daughter Paris.
The News of the World quotes Jackson's longtime friend Mark Lester as saying that he "gave Michael my sperm so that he could have kids — and I believe Paris is my daughter."
The newspaper also quotes Lester, is a 51-year-old former child star known for his lead role in the 1968 movie version of the state show "Oliver!" as saying he's willing to take a paternity test.
In a video interview with Lester broadcast on the News of the World Web site, Lester said he donated his sperm at a London clinic. He said Jackson was married to Debbie Rowe at the time.
"She's the birth mother of the children so I naturally assumed the sperm donation would obviously have gone into Debbie and Debbie would have borne the children," he said.
He said Paris resembled his own 15-year-old daughter Harriet.
Rowe said he had made the revelations because he has "concerns about the welfare and upbringing of the children."
"It's a contact issue," he said on the video. "I dearly want to remain in contact with those kids and I feel now this is the only way I can ensure that."
Jackson and Lester became friends 27 years ago when Jackson's manager told Lester the singer wanted to meet him. Lester lives in Cheltenham, about 100 miles (160 kilometers) west of London.
Calls to Lester's home were not immediately returned.

-I don't know what to say. The word "circus" comes to mind. I feel particularly sad for all 3 children.

haha^^ same as you...

it's not THAT Prince. it's Prince, the musician. :)

haha^^ same as you...

I may be wrong, but I believe the "Prince" they are referring to is Prince the entertainer (Purple Rain) that may perform a tribute to Michael at the WMA's.

Everybody is gonna come out now and claim paternity!

Is none of these people thinking about the children involved here???

Back