Weekends Daily News July 10 - 12 More from Shelia Jackson Lee

earthlyme

Proud Member
Trying to reach Michael...I cant see him but I fee
I found this Article...Very interesting...

Peter King bashing Michael Jackson in video was 'Bad' idea

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...ng_michael_jackson_in_video_was_bad_idea.html

Rep. Peter King has established a reputation over the years as a public official who speaks for regular Americans — people who believe that common sense and straight talk are what America needs to be about.
But when it comes to Michael Jackson, Rep. King (R, L.I.) should have kept his mouth shut.
King made a short video over the weekend in which he called Jackson a “lowlife” and a “child molester” and reamed the media for paying such obsessive attention to the drama that has surrounded his death.
On the first point, a lot of people agree with King. On the second, there can certainly be a valid debate on whether the media has overcovered Jackson in death as it overcovered him in life.
What isn’t necessary, or helpful, is to insult Jackson and his fans out of frustration over this level of coverage.
Anyone who feels the Jackson story has been overplayed has an immediate and 100% effective solution at hand: Ignore it. Put down the newspaper. Turn off the TV. Click on something else.
As for Jackson’s personal conduct, the truth is we don’t know all the truth. He was tried for child molestatation and acquitted, and one imagines that someone who believes as strongly in the American system as Rep. King would respect that.
What adds nothing to that discussion is to accuse anyone who grieves over Jackson, or media that cover the Jackson story, of thereby ignoring policemen, firemen, veterans and soldiers.
What exactly does distress over Michael Jackson’s death have to do with one’s respect for the police officer on the corner, or the soldier in Afghanistan?
When Rep. King portrays himself as a man who marches in Fourth of July parades and therefore is a better American than someone who mourns Michael Jackson, or writes about Michael Jackson, he’s serving only himself.
Michael Jackson fans are a wide cross-section of Americans, and as the last week has proven, a deep one, too.
Anyone who thinks less media coverage would have resulted in substantially less attention to Jackson’s death just doesn’t have an ear to the ground. Those hundreds of thousands of people who may descend on Los Angeles tomorrow didn’t get the idea by watching “Inside Edition.” They’re there because Michael Jackson’s singing and dancing made some permanent and wonderful impression on their lives.
Sure, the Jackson family fanned the media flame by deciding to hold a public memorial, and it can be argued that a private ceremony might have given Michael a final dash of dignity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Peter King bashing Michael Jackson in video was 'Bad' idea

valid point but for some reason I still don't like the feel of this story.In particular this section.

Sure, the Jackson family fanned the media flame by deciding to hold a public memorial, and it can be argued that a private ceremony might have given Michael a final dash of dignity.

I met Michael Jackson – twice

LIKE many other fans around the world, I was shocked and saddened to hear the news of the death of Michael Jackson.

I was fortunate enough to meet Michael twice and on both occasions he appeared as a softly spoken warm, sincere, immensely gifted and generous young man.

My first meeting took place in 1979 when he played the Halifax Civic Theatre, with the Jackson 5.

I met Michael and his brother Tito backstage after the second concert they played that night. As they were leaving I got both their autographs and while laughing together they gave me a huge bowl of fruit which I believe was given to them by Phillip Crossley in the market.

The second occasion was on July 4, 1984, when I attended a Lucasfilm picnic with my grandson in Nicasio, California.

On this occasion I first saw Michael riding in a fire engine with the sirens blaring and the horn being sounded. I waved as he drove past. He seemed to be as excited as a child would be riding in a fire engine for the first time.

Later at the picnic he came over with his bodyguard and his German shepherd dog and spoke to myself and my friend, Phillip Tordoff.

I told him I'd met him before in Halifax. He said he recalled the meeting and that particular show was almost cancelled as very few people had turned up for their first performance of the evening!

He was clearly misunderstood by the society that pounced on every piece of his sometimes strange behaviour. However The King of Pop is remembered, I'm sure his music will always live on, but for me, I'll always have my memories of the times I met Michael Jackson.

May he rest in peace.

Peter Cairns

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/mailbag/I-met-Michael-Jackson-.5446517.jp

Record Label Confirms to Release Michael Jackson's New Songs

In addition to the arrival of Epic Records' confirmation that Michael Jackson's new songs will indeed be released, a recent rumor hit the web suggesting Michael tribute gig will be held on August 29.

Michael Jackson's record label, Epic Records, has confirmed that his new songs, which were crafted before he passed away, will indeed be released. The statement is made by the company's president Amanda Ghost who is also a singer/songwriter during an interview with BBC News.

Amanda says, "I have no idea when it's coming out, but it will come out on Sony/Epic." Explaining why they do not want to rush the album, she states, "We haven't made any decisions because we just want to be respectful for his memory and not be seen in any way as trying to cash in."

On what will be offered to fans in this project, Amanda shares her thought, "If we do release anything of unreleased material, it has to be fantastic and it can't damage in any way his legacy or his legend and I won't let that happen at Epic."

In another news related to Michael Jackson
mag-glass_10x10.gif
, a tribute concert for the late King of Pop reportedly will be conducted at London's O2 Arena where he was supposed to have 50 gigs. It is said to be held on August 29 to mark his 51st birthday.

Performers for the gig are rumored to include backing dancers with whom Michael had rehearsed before his sudden death. A life-like hologram of him reportedly will be projected on stage. His three children, Prince Michael Jackson Jr., Paris Michael Katherine Jackson and Prince Michael Jackson II, as well as his brothers and sisters are also expected to make performances.

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00025608.html

Jackson's dad to attend Gary tribute

Michael Jackson's father will attend a memorial celebration Friday for the pop icon in the family's hometown of Gary, the mayor said Thursday.

Mayor Rudy Clay said that along with Joe Jackson, Rev. Al Sharpton and Rev. Jesse Jackson also will be at the event Friday at The Steel Yard baseball park in Gary -- a couple of miles from Jackson's boyhood home.

Clay says Gary's memorial, which will include musical performances and remembrances, will serve as a tribute to the Jackson family's contributions to the music industry. The celebration is scheduled to start at 6 p.m., but the doors will open at 4 p.m. Seating will be first come, first served. (More information is at www.gary.in.us.)

The Jacksons moved from Gary, about 30 miles southeast of Chicago, after the Jackson 5 recorded their first album in 1969. Streams of fans have visited the Jacksons' former home since the pop star's death last month.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/lifestyle/chi-0710_garyjul10,0,1356933.story

[/center]

Today in
Michael Jackson History[/center]
1984 - Jermaine Jackson's album "Jermaine Jackson" was certified Gold by the RIAA.

2000 - The David Orgell jewelry store in Beverly Hills, CA, filed a $1.45 million lawsuit against Michael Jackson. The suit was over a diamond-encrusted wristwatch that was returned to the store damaged.

mikejer.jpg

Last edited:
American Idol Judges Comment On MJ's Passing

Randy Jackson commented last week:

If there's one thing Randy Jackson knows, it's idols. It's the passing of one of music's biggest icons, Michael Jackson, that has him in shock.

"I am so saddened by the loss of a great idol and icon, Michael Jackson," the 'American Idol' judge tells Spinner. "He was, to me, the greatest entertainer of all time. He was a huge inspiration for performers across all music genres. He taught us all how to light up the stage. Wow."

http://www.spinner.com/2009/06/25/idol-judge-calls-michael-jackson-the-greatest-entertainer-of/

Paula and Simon also commented recently on MJ's passing:

"He was a genius," Cowell says. "It's such a shame it happened so young for him." Simon, in London with "Extra's" Terri Seymour, shares his greatest memories of the pop icon. "Always the moonwalk," Simon dishes, "and 'Thriller,' I loved 'Thriller.'"

Rumors have circulated for years that the King of Pop would take the stage on "American Idol" -- and Cowell confirms that there was, at one time, the possibility of a Jackson appearance. "There was always talk of it and 'X Factor.' I think he would have appeared on that, but it never happened."

Paula became close to the Jackson family when she choreographed dances for Michael's "Victory Tour" and a string of music videos -- including "Control" -- for his sister Janet. Abdul even made a cameo in Michael's 1987 video for "Liberian Girl." "I just wish he knew how he affected people in such a positive way," Abdul reveals. "I was very fortunate to be able to work closely with the entire family."

She continues, "He didn't know how to give halfway -- he didn't know how to just go through making steps. It was full-out or nothing at all."

Simon also helped discover "Britain's Got Talent" star Shaheen Jafargholi, who wowed the judge on the UK singing show with his rendition of Jackson's "Who's Loving You?" Shaheen reprised his song at Michael's memorial yesterday.

When asked who the Michael Jackson of today was, Cowell replied, "There isn't anyone else," and when Terri asked if there ever would be, Cowell flatly stated, "No."

http://extratv.warnerbros.com/2009/07/idol_judges_remember_jackson.php

-Ha, I so agree with Simon! There will never be another Michael Jackson. He was one of a kind. We will never see anyone like MJ again.

Re: Weekends Daily News July 10 - 12

"So You Think You Can Dance" Michael Jackson Tribute Nixed
Kareem Shaker - Celebrity News Service Reporter

Los Angeles, CA (CNS) - "So You Think You Can Dance", a popular FOX reality show, planned a Michael Jackson tribute Thursday, but plans changed when the show could not obtain licensing of Michael Jackson's music from the Jackson estate.

It is not clear whether the Jackson family or two long-time Jackson associates, John McClain and John Branca, refused the show rights to broadcast an on-air competition with the King Of Pop's music being featured...

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7015745619

American Idol’ finalists get ready to hit the road
By Peter Larsen The Orange County Register

... Gokey says he’ll do the late Michael Jackson’s “PYT” ...

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/artic...ican-Idol-finalists-get-ready-to-hit-the-road

Rumors about Jackson, Beatles catalog untrue, McCartney says

(CNN) -- First the rumor went around that Michael Jackson was leaving the Beatles catalog to Paul McCartney in his will. Then the rumor was that McCartney was upset that Jackson didn't leave the Beatles catalog to the Beatle in his will.

Neither is true, said McCartney in a posting on his Web site.

"Some time ago, the media came up with the idea that Michael Jackson was going to leave his share in the Beatles songs to me in his will which was completely made up and something I didn't believe for a second," McCartney said.

"Now the report is that I am devastated to find that he didn't leave the songs to me. This is completely untrue," he added.

The story of the Beatles song catalog is long and tangled. At the time McCartney and writing partner John Lennon wrote their songs, they retained only a portion of the rights in the publishing company created by the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, and London music publisher Dick James. (The company was called Northern Songs, a nod to the Beatles'

Liverpudlian roots.) The company went public in 1965.
According to the myth-busting site Snopes.com, Lennon and McCartney each had 15 percent of the shares, Epstein (and his NEMS Enterprises) had 7.5 percent, James and partner Charles Silver had 37.5 percent and Beatles George Harrison and Ringo Starr had less than 2 percent. The rest was available for public investment.

Over the years (and partly due to the group's legal battles) the Beatles lost or sold their control, and the catalog of about 250 songs -- almost all of Lennon/McCartney's creations -- ended up in the hands of British media mogul Sir Lew Grade and his ATV Music Publishing. ATV added the Beatles' songs to its holdings, a cache that eventually grew to more than 4,000 songs. (Other songs in the catalog include those recorded by the Kinks, the Moody Blues and Elvis Presley.)

In 1984, the catalog was put up for sale again. McCartney wanted to buy his creations back, but for various reasons wasn't a front-runner. Jackson -- who had taken to investing in music publishing at, ironically,

McCartney's recommendation -- came up with the winning bid of $47.5 million. The sale went through in 1985.

In 1995, Sony paid Jackson $95 million to merge the catalog with its Sony Music. Jackson maintained 50 percent control. In 2005, Sony/ATV Music had more than 200,000 songs in its catalog, a CNN.com article reported.

To finance his lifestyle, Jackson borrowed money, using the catalog as collateral. Nevertheless, he never lost the asset. The entire catalog was estimated to be worth between $600 million and $1 billion in 2005, according to a 2005 article in USA Today.

As a songwriter, McCartney has continued to receive some royalties from his work, as has Lennon's estate.

McCartney said in the posting that he and Jackson may have "drifted apart," but "we never really fell out."

"At times like this, the press do tend to make things up, so occasionally, I feel the need to put the record straight," he wrote.

McCartney and Jackson recorded a pair of duets in the early 1980s, "The Girl Is Mine" and "Say Say Say." The latter hit No. 1 in late 1983.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/09/jackson.mccartney/index.html

Congresswoman pushes ahead on Michael Jackson resolution

Rep. Shelia Jackson Lee won't beat it. Not when it comes to honoring the late Michael Jackson.

The Texas Democrat issued a statement early this morning saying she will offer House Resolution 600 -- which honors Jackson for his humanitarian service -- despite her speaker's wishes that she drop it.

As we reported here, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said on Thursday that such a resolution would be divisive and counterproductive. Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., has said he would fight to block the resolution because of the eccentric singer's lifestyle.

In her statement this morning, Jackson Lee said she talked to the King of Pop's family and she will give them time to mourn and then push for the resolution.

"This resolution is based on fact," the emailed statement read. "Speaker Pelosi is my dear friend and she recognizes the great artist that Michael was. I appreciate her concern that we handle the resolution with the right timing. I do not view her words as disallowing the legislative process to work its will. We will work with this legislation as long as necessary. We welcome positive growing attention to this measure from many of my fellow colleagues."

Jackson Lee spoke at the King of Pop's memorial service on Tuesday and hoisted a framed copy of the legislation to the applause of those at the Staples Center. The congresswoman also said in her statement that she was pleased that the family accepted "this introduction of the resolution with such joy."

Of course, this wouldn't be the first time that MJ was honored by the Washington political establishment. He was once honored by none other than the Great Communicator, Ronald Reagan.

Jackson received the Presidential Public Safety Communication Award from President Reagan 25 years ago in surprise ceremony at the White House. Jackson's hit single "Beat It" was used in a TV and radio campaign against drunk driving, and Reagan thanked him for it. That same year, the president also sent Jackson a sympathy letter after the singer was burned while shooting a Pepsi commercial. In the letter, Reagan says:

"You've gained quite a number of fans along the road since 'I Want You Back' and Nancy and I are among them."

http://blogs.usatoday.com/onpolitic...shes-ahead-on-michael-jackson-resolution.html

Granite Tribute for Michael Jackson in Gary

Senthil Muruganantham, CEO of Stone Plans in Richmond, was struck with an idea for a monument while watching Tuesday's television coverage of the funeral and tribute to Michael Jackson in Los Angeles. He stayed up through the night designing the monument. (Supplied photo)

Senthil Muruganantham stands near a monument to Michael Jackson as it is cut at Stone Plans in Richmond on Thursday. The monument will be on display in Gary, Ind. (Palladium-Item photo by Joshua Smith)

A monument to Michael Jackson is cut at Stone Plans in Richmond on Thursday before it is driven to Gary, Ind.
(Palladium-Item photo by Joshua Smith)

Tribute will be unveiled today

Stone Plans CEO stays up all night to design idea, gets OK from officials

BY BILL ENGLE • STAFF WRITER • July 10, 2009

The monument to pop icon Michael Jackson, to be unveiled today in Gary, Ind., was produced in Richmond in a whirlwind 48-hour effort of creativity, coordination and synchronicity.
adlabel_horz.gif

Senthil Muruganantham, CEO of Stone Plans in Richmond, was struck with an idea for a monument while watching Tuesday's television coverage of the funeral and tribute to Jackson in Los Angeles.

He stayed up through the night designing a monument and then contacted Gary officials Wednesday.

He pitched it, they loved it and he produced it.
It will be shipped to Gary today and unveiled during tonight's memorial service in The King of Pop's hometown.

Mayor Rudy Clay will officiate joined by Jackson's father, Joe Jackson, the Revs. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, former Miss Indiana Kellee Patterson, singer Deniece Williams and actor Fred "The Hammer" Williamson.

"We were watching the memorial service and we had an idea for a tribute to Michael Jackson," Muruganantham said. "I started working on it and spent the whole night designing it.

"Obviously, it struck us that it would be such a tribute and honor to do a monument for Michael Jackson," he said. In turn, the monument is striking.

On the front, Michael Jackson is in silhouette in a classic dance pose against the backdrop of a full moon. "Never can say good bye," the title of one of his hits, is emblazoned below.

On the back, a collage of pictures of Jackson from the many stages of his career rings Jackson's visage, created from lyrics from "Gone Too Soon," the song Jackson wrote for Ryan White, the Kokomo teen who died of AIDS in 1990.

Titles to several Jackson hits follow below.

"Who is not a fan of his music?" Muruganantham said. "I listened to his music growing up in India. Anybody who sees this can relate to Michael Jackson and his music."

Muruganantham's company is unique in that it could produce such a tribute in such a short period of time. His granite comes from a quarry his family owns in India. He had the 8-foot tall, 5-foot wide, 5,000-pound block in his 65,000-square-foot warehouse, which is located on a dusty side street on the city's northwest side.
adlabel_horz.gif

Muruganantham designs many of the monuments, markers, mausoleums, civic memorial and name signs his company produces.

He has a bachelor's degree in civil engineering and a master's degree in architecture from Ohio State University.

"We did all the work in our house," said Dan Tate, a company manufacturers' representative. "'We're one of the few companies in the nation that could have done something like this. Usually it takes several months when you're dealing with second, third and fourth parties."

The polished black granite monument was designed on a computer and laser-etched over 24 hours. It was completed around 10 p.m. Thursday.

"The design process was kind of chaotic but when I finished it felt right," Muruganantham said. "When I sent it (Gary officials) fell in love with it. I think it was what they had in mind.

"Obviously we are proud. It's amazing to be a part of Michael Jackson's legacy," he said. "But part of it was being there at the right place at the right time. Sometimes it's meant to happen and it does."

http://www.pal-item.com/article/20090710/NEWS01/907100334&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

Last edited:
LAPD: Police WIll Try To Talk To Former Doctors

POSTED: 9:30 pm EDT July 9, 2009

UPDATED: 7:36 am EDT July 10, 2009

LOS ANGELES -- Detectives investigating the death of Michael Jackson are looking at his prescription drug history and trying to talk with his numerous former doctors, the Los Angeles police chief said.

Jackson's father, Joe Jackson, told ABC News in an interview that he believed "foul play" was involved in his son's death. But in the interview aired Friday on "Good Morning America," Jackson did not elaborate.

Los Angeles Police Chief William Bratton told CNN that police are waiting for the coroner's report before ruling out any possibilities in their "comprehensive" investigation into the sudden death of the 50-year-old pop star two weeks ago.

The coroner's report will determine the cause of death and hinges on time-consuming toxicology tests.

"Based on those we'll have an idea of what we're dealing with," Bratton said Thursday. "Are we dealing with homicide? Are we dealing with an accidental overdose? What are we dealing with?"

Bratton said detectives are gathering evidence, including items seized from Jackson's rented home and arranging interviews with his many physicians, but the police chief deferred to the coroner to determine the cause of death.

"The next move really is his," Bratton said. "We're not marking time waiting for his report."

The Drug Enforcement Administration and the state attorney general's office, which keeps a database of prescription drugs, are assisting investigators.

An attorney for Dr. Arnold Klein, one of Jackson's many physicians, told the Los Angeles Times that the dermatologist was subpoenaed for medical records, which he turned over to the county coroner's office.

Bratton refused to discuss details of the case.

Jackson, who died June 25, had a well-known history of using prescription medications, especially painkillers. Following his death, Cherilyn Lee, a registered nurse who had worked for Jackson, told The Associated Press she repeatedly rejected his demands for the potent anesthetic Diprivan, also known as Propofol.

Jackson had multiple doctors, friends and staff who came in and out of his life. Which people were being interviewed by police was unclear because the LAPD has said virtually nothing about the probe.

Joe Jackson said he didn't know anything about drugs his son was involved in.

"I don't even know the name of them," he said. "I do know that whatever he was taking was to make him rest because he had been working so hard."

Police towed a doctor's car from Jackson's home hours after he died and said later it could contain medication or other evidence. Coroner's officials also said Jackson was taking prescription medication but declined to elaborate.

Meanwhile, Joe Jackson told ABC that he and his wife, Katherine, should have custody of Michael's three children. "They'll grow up to be strong Jacksons," he said.

He said Michael's daughter, Paris, who spoke at the Tuesday memorial service, was taking the death hard and was crying whenever Michael's name is mentioned. He said that she might have a future in the entertainment business along with the youngest son, nicknamed Blanket, who "can really dance."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

:angel:Keep Helping To Heal The World...Education Is The Key~~~

Re: LAPD: Police WIll Try To Talk To Former Doctors

Thanks for the information. But since we are trying to bring order back to the board, it would have better to post in the weekend news thread.

Please help us out here! Thanks for posting this info, but it should really go in the weekend news thread, or the LAPD thread. Staff are having a VERY hard time trying to restore some sort of order here. Instead of moving threads around, staff need to be taking care of themselves and the members, as best we can. Please? Thanks.

ALL is said, LAPD just try

Police Called to Arnold Klein's Office

ET can confirm that police were called to the L.A. office of Michael Jackson's former dermatologist on Friday afternoon.
Police arrived at Arnold Klein's office at noon to investigate "suspicious phone calls" received there. We're told the calls were not necessarily threatening in nature, and an investigation into the incident is currently underway.
Keep checking back here for the latest.

http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/07/76291/

Jackson's Kids in Better Spirits at Post-Memorial Reception

Jackson's Kids in Better Spirits at Post-Memorial Reception
Wednesday July 8, 2009
http://www.usmagazine.com/news/michael-jacksons-kids-in-better-spirits-at-reception-200987

jackson-b_5.jpg

Michael Jackson's children, Paris Jackson, Prince Michael Jackson II and Prince Michael Jackson I stand on stage during a public memorial service for Michael Jackson, at Staples Center in Los Angeles on July 7, 2009.
UPI Photo Photo/Gabriel Bouys/Pool yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = "Jackson's Kids in Better Spirits at Post-Memorial Reception"; yahooBuzzArticleSummary = "After Tuesday\'s somber memorial for their father, Michael Jackson\'s three children seemed to be in better sprits at a reception immediately following the service. Prince Michael, 12, Paris Katherine, 11, and Prince Michael II (Blanket), 7, all sat in the \"VIP\" area at a kid\'s table that included..."; yahooBuzzArticleCategory = "celebrity news"; yahooBuzzArticleType = "text"; yahooBuzzArticleId = "http://www.usmagazine.com/news/michael-jacksons-kids-in-better-spirits-at-reception-200987"; print(location.href);

After Tuesday's somber memorial for their father, Michael Jackson's three children seemed to be in better sprits at a reception immediately following the service.

Prince Michael, 12, Paris Katherine, 11, and Prince Michael II (Blanket), 7, all sat in the "VIP" area at a kid's table that included all the Jackson cousins and relatives in The Grand Ballroom at the Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel.
There were around 15 kids at the table, with ages ranging from 7-17. (Blanket was probably the youngest in the group.)

Jackson's children seemed very close with their cousins, as they all were playing and goofing around.
At one point, Prince Michael pulled out his cell phone. It looked like he was playing a game on it; he then passed it along to one of his cousins.

Blanket - who appeared overwhelmed at the memorial - was in a much better mood. He looked like he was having so much fun chasing around his cousins. The boy - whose hair is almost down to his waist and whose front tooth is missing - appeared playful at the reception, tickling his cousins and tapping others on the shoulder and then running away.
Paris also seemed to be in a better mood. She hugged her cousins and chatted with guests.
At one point, someone brought over the program from the memorial and all three of the kids -- including some of the cousins -- gathered around to look at the pictures.
Jackson's children seemed really poised and polite as they shook guests' hands and chatted with them. People were coming up and shaking Prince Michael's hand a lot. The kids interacted extremely naturally with each other.
Grace Rwaramba, Jackson's former nanny, was overheard saying: "The kids are holding up really well. It's good for them to be around the other kids."
The reception featured a classical music quartet that played softly
onstage. (Food included mini cheeseburgers, spanakopita, mini crab
cakes, vegetable plates, cheese plates and fruit.)
Todd Bridges, Corey Feldman, Chris Tucker, Brooke Shields, Wesley Snipes, Rev. Al Sharpton, Kim Porter, Mariah Carey, Jesse Jackson, Spike Lee and Anil Kapoor from Slumdog Millionaire were among the guests.
Usher pretty much kept to himself and still looked sad.
As for Jackson's siblings, Latoya made the rounds at the reception, greeting guests. Janet did not really interact with her family, only to chat with sister Latoya momentarily. (Both ladies kept their sunglasses on the entire time.) Janet also carried around Blanket's Michael Jackson doll for him. (Her beau Jermaine Dupri did not attend.)
Joe and Katherine Jackson briefly chatted up Brooke Shields, who was smiling but still mourning as her eyes were red.

Jermaine Jackson talked to family members and hugged a lot of the
guests.
At the end of the evening, a few guests took photos with Wesley Snipes, Usher and even Joe Jackson.
Feldman, still dressed in his bizarre Michael Jackson outfit, gave Joe Jackson a hug and a handshake on the way out.
Michael's three kids left with Katherine Jackson, who remains their temporary guardian until a July 13 court hearing.

Re: Jackson's Kids in Better Spirits at Post-Memorial Reception

glad 2 know they were doing well. and usher..aww usher man.

Re: Jackson's Kids in Better Spirits at Post-Memorial Reception

Thanks, that was comforting to read. Good to know the children have kids their age to relax and have fun with. The memorial must have been really hard on them, seeing Paris and Blanket break down simply tore my heart into pieces..

Re: Peter King bashing Michael Jackson in video was 'Bad' idea

Here you go and from a former councilor to the president as well.

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/dean/20090710.html

Defaming The Dead: Congressman Peter King's Michael Jackson Media Rant
By JOHN W. DEAN

Friday, July 10, 2009

New York Republican Congressman Peter King, acting very much like a prototypical contemporary Republican congressman, recently appeared in front of a Wantagh, New York American Legion Post, to rant about the news coverage of Michael Jackson's death. In doing so, Congressman King absolutely trashed and unashamedly defamed Jackson, even while the Jackson family was still coping with Michael's death and had yet to bury him.

King's "I'll tell you what's news and what's not" outburst truly crossed the line, however, when he charged Jackson with crimes for which the entertainer had been found "Not guilty." King said: "…I don't know how long now, this lowlife Michael Jackson, his name, his face, his picture is all over the newspapers, television, radio. All we hear about is Michael Jackson. And let's knock out the psychobabble. This guy was a pervert, a child molester, he was a pedophile, and to be giving this much coverage to him day in and day out, what does it say about us and this country? …There's nothing good about this guy...."

To defame Michael Jackson as "a child molester" and "a pedophile" – while claiming there was "nothing good about this guy" who devoted his considerable talents to carrying a message of peace and harmony throughout the world – was clearly way over the top.

A Profound Misunderstanding of Contemporary American Culture

Without a doubt, Michael Jackson's appearance and lifestyle had become conspicuously weird, but Congressman King's pronouncing Jackson guilty of child molestation and pedophilia, when a jury had listened to evidence for months on end and could not reach that conclusion, is not simply thoughtless on King's part, it is dishonest. What empowers King to nullify the jury's "Not guilty" finding? What does King know about the purported $20 million settlement with a boy whose mother allegedly accused Jackson of molesting him, if anything at all? On what basis can King elevate wild rumors to statements of fact? What exactly qualifies this Long Island right-wing Congressman to judge the appropriate news value of Michael Jackson's passing?

Actually, Peter King is completely out of tune with America's celebrity culture, and apparently is uninterested in understanding it. In fact, King's moralistic scolding of the news media is only one step removed from Iran's ayatollahs' broadcasting women discussing sewing on state-run television when outraged Iranian voters were rioting in the streets. King's moralistic view of pop culture is about as 1960s as that of Daniel Boorstin, who famously described a celebrity as "a person who is well-known for their well-knownness," and found both celebrities and "pseudo celebrity events" vacuous and inane. The moralizers have, of course, began declaring the end of civilization as we know it for decades, but civilization has survived them.

More enlightened views, set forth nicely in Graeme Turner's Understanding Celebrity (2004) explain that the decline of the traditional family, changing social relationships and new technology have created "para-social interactions" – meaning interactions occurring across significant social distances with people we do not know, and accounting for our enjoyment of celebrities. As Turner states it: "Among our compensations for the loss of community is an avid attention to the figure of the celebrity and a greater investment in our relations with specific versions of this figure. In effect, we are using celebrity as a means of constructing a new dimension of community through the media."

King's elitist distaste for the admiration felt by untold millions of Americans for Michael Jackson is based in the same authoritarian conservatism that the ayatollahs impose on society. It is an open rejection of the populism inherent in today's culture, a populism that tolerates, and often celebrates, being different. No doubt King finds this all very threatening, for he self-righteously but more cautiously repeated his charges the next day, remaining totally oblivious to the vicious, mean-spirited, small-minded nature of his statements. While King's congressional district is ninety percent white, fortunately it does not appear that King's astonishing insensitivity toward the Jackson family and admirers is representatives of feelings of his constituents, for according to press accounts they are not fully supportive of their outspoken Congressman. In fact, King may have created some serious political opposition for himself in his district with his remarks. (And as Pat Buchanan advised, King is not likely to be welcomed any time soon in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of New York City.)

More Evidence that the Dead, Too, May Need Protection From Defamatory Speech

King's excessive remarks caused me to recall how seriously the New York Assembly considered adopting a law providing a cause of action to the family of a deceased person, who has been gratuitously defamed as King defamed Michael Jackson. Not surprisingly, King's remarks have provoked a flood of similar thinking, albeit by largely anonymous people on the Internet who joined the attack on Jackson's reputation. Ignoring the actual facts of Jackson's life, like King, these anonymous commenters are also speaking out with no true knowledge of the evidence.

A few years ago, I addressed the issue of the defamation of those who can no longer defend themselves. Upon hearing Peter King's ugly charges, I felt badly for the Jackson family, for they have no remedy – that is, no way to force King to produce evidence that is admissible in a court of law in order to back up his conversion of rumor to fact; and no way to show that King's lead-footed dancing on Michael's grave was for his own political reasons, and at the emotional expense of the Jackson family. It appears that King, who has attracted public attention to himself by being nasty, plans to continue. This is modern conservatism in action.

Not withstanding the emotional hurt to the family, and even the future financial damage to Michael's estate that remarks like Peter King's may have wreaked, defamation is a personal injury and, as the law now stands, only living persons can protect their reputations. Family members and business associates of dead people who have been brutally defamed, people who have suffered conspicuous harm and clear financial injury, have failed to change the law on this point, notwithstanding endless years of trying to do so in court proceedings. Judges are typically sympathetic in these cases, but they cannot get around the longstanding common law rule prohibiting such lawsuits, so they often recommend that legislative remedies be developed to address situations where real harm has occurred – which is certainly the case with respect to what is now being said about Michael Jackson.

In the late 1980s, the New York Assembly seriously and repeatedly considered a legislative remedy that would alter the common law rule precluding a lawsuit for posthumous defamation, notwithstanding the ongoing hissy fits of news organizations. New York Governor Mario Cuomo even supported one of the proposals. In the end, however, the powerful New York-based communications industry, using its money and clout, killed the proposal.

During the days following Michael Jackson's death, many of his admirers have worked diligently to focus attention upon the contributions this talented entertainer made, the joy he provided his audiences, his far-beyond-the-call-of-any-duty contributions to charitable causes, and his crossover appeal to Americans of all colors and ethnicities -- a reality acknowledged by President Obama, who noted Jackson's role in paving the way for the election of the first African-American president.

As I was watching and listening to the Jackson coverage, it struck me that if Reverend Al Sharpton turned his focus on protecting Michael Jackson's legacy upon the New York Assembly, and revived the proposed legislation providing a posthumous cause of action for defamation that hurts the family members and financial interests of deceased persons, then Ayatollah Congressman King and his like would think twice before defaming a world-famously, and tremendously popular deceased figure for cheap political gain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John W. Dean, a FindLaw columnist, is a former counsel to the president.

Last edited:
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/29050647/michael_jackson_remembered_chris_cornell_on_the_power_of_billie_jean

Michael Jackson Remembered:
Chris Cornell on the Power of "Billie Jean"
Posted Jul 09, 2009 1:14 PM

Chris Cornell

The main memory I have of Michael Jackson is from when I was a kid. When you're a child and you see another child on TV with other brothers who are basically children — and I had two brothers — and you see what they're doing, and listening to the music they're making, it kind of knocks you out. That was the initial impact, that that was even possible. Especially being a kid from Seattle, where you're nowhere near any sort of media center and have no understanding of that type of popular culture and where it comes from or how it's created. You think it comes from some other planet.

28853374-28853380-slarge.jpg

The next thing that had a clear impact was when I was already a musician, probably about 18 years old, and was working in restaurants but was also starting different bands at the time, and was obviously watching MTV all the time, just to see what was on it. I wasn't a fan of most of it. Then, "Thriller" happened, and to see that shift from pretty much an entirely white audience watching an entirely white music channel change because of this one guy — he didn't just get some videos sent there, like me and my friends did on 120 Minutes at 1 a.m. on a Sunday — he took over. His videos were played the same amount Madonna videos were played. I remember the first two, especially, had an amazing energy. "Beat It" was an incredible video. Here is this guy who used to seem so shy and quiet comes out super-aggressive and there's actual gang members in it. It opened the door for Prince and Run-DMC to suddenly be in the living rooms of white people across the nation.

The brilliance of "Billie Jean" came to me when I was reading the lyrics for the first time, which was around the time that I was doing that arrangement, and the idea came from a conversation I had with my wife about the art of the cover song, because she would bring up ideas about songs I should cover, and I would always shoot 'em down, and I would explain the art of it: You can cover a song by an artist you are obviously influenced by and you will reproduce it, paying homage to it, and sticking close to the original. That's one way, the other way is Johnny Cash doing "Rusty Cage," which on paper sounds like the most ridiculous fucking idea you'll hear in your life. It did to me.

So she sort of challenged me with, what would that song be for you, and I thought well, who would be the least likely artist for me to attempt to cover and the first name that popped into my head was Michael Jackson. I liked "Billie Jean" because it had that little keyboard line in it, which I thought I could turn into an electric guitar line. And it was just embarrassingly awful. When I started reading the lyrics, I realized it's a lament, not a dance track. His moon walking and the video as well, as just the bass line and the beat, took precedence over the meaning. The lyrics are brilliant, and the way that the way the lyrics are put together. The story isn't spoon-fed to you, it's poetic.

Rolling Stone's special commemorative Michael Jackson issue featuring tributes from Quincy Jones, Slash, Brooke Shields and more is available now.

More details on instrumental album Michael Jackson started before his death, and his love of classical music

TV and film composer and conductor David Michael Frank may have been one of the last persons to collaborate with Michael Jackson on an artistic project. The pop singer’s untimely death left that project in an uncertain state. Initial reports suggested that Jackson planned to do an album of “classical music” he had written; the pieces were to be orchestrated by Frank. Actually, Frank says, the pieces were closer to film music and would have gone into an all-instrumental album had Jackson lived. The Baltimore-born Frank, interviewed by phone in California, gives an account here of his experience with the King of Pop:

Four or five months ago, I received a call from Michael Jackson’s longtime personal recording engineer, Michael Prince, who told me Michael was looking for someone to arrange some music for orchestra. I thought it was going to be for the tour he was going to do. For the next month or two, he would call, saying, ‘Michael Jackson says he’s going to call you.’

At the end of April, another Michael, Michael Jackson’s personal assistant, called me and asked me to come the next day at 10 a.m. and asked me the make and model of my car. I drove to the Holmby Hills home. I drove up to the front door, and was met by an assistant who told me to go inside. I was met there by a woman dressed like a housekeeper, but with a white turban on her head. She said, ‘Michael Jackson will be with you shortly.’ About two minutes later, he came down the stairs.

I was reluctant to shake his hand because I had heard that he was concerned about germs, but he immediately stuck his hand out and gave me a very firm handshake. He was very skinny, but not the least bit frail. He was wearing a suit and a hat. He was going to rehearsal later for the tour. He said, ‘You look familiar.’ I told him a long time ago I worked on a TV tribute to Sammy Davis, Jr. at Shrine Auditorium [that he had participated in]. I told him I had met him briefly there.’ He said, ‘I never forget a face.’

He told me, ‘I have three projects going on simultaneously.’ One was the tour that the whole world knew about. The other two I believe no one knew about. One was to be an album of pop songs. Then he said, ‘The other one is that I want to record an album of classical music’ — what he called classical music.

He said he listened to ...

classical music all the time; it was his absolute favorite. I was impressed with the pieces he mentioned: Aaron Copland’s Rodeo, Fanfare for the Common Man and Lincoln Portrait; Leonard Bernstein’s West Side Story. I mentioned Bernstein's On the Waterfront. Then Michael mentioned that he loved Elmer Bernstein's film music, too, and he specifically mentioned To Kill a Mockingbird.

I realized that almost all the classical pieces he mentioned are childlike, very simple and pretty, like Prokofiev’s Peter and the Wolf and Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker Suite. He also mentioned Debussy several times, specifically Arabesque [No. 1] and Clair de lune. He was very soft-spoken when were talking about music, but when he got animated about something, he was very changed. When he mentioned how he loved Elmer Bernstein, and I said I liked the Magnificent Seven score, Michael started singing the theme very loudly, almost screaming it.

He said, ‘I’m making a CD.’ Then his son, Prince Michael, came in, and Michael asked him to find a CD player. Paris found one and brought it in with Prince. Michael played the CD. It was very pretty music. He said, ‘But a section is missing.’ He played a second piece. And he said, ‘But a section is missing, too. But I can hum it to you.’ I asked if there was a piano in the house, and he said there was one in the pool house. We headed out there, but Michael stopped when he saw the dog was outside, soaking wet from being in the pool. He didn't want us to get splattered. It was kind of funny. Michael got another assistant to hold the dog while we went to his pool house.

I sat at the piano and Michael hummed the missing part of one of the pieces. I had taken a little digital recorder with me and asked if I could record him. He was in perfect pitch. I tried to figure out chords to go with it as he hummed. He said, ‘Your instincts are totally right about the chords.’

We talked about classical music some more. I played some Debussy pieces. Michael seemed very happy and I think he felt very comfortable with me. He mentioned Leonard Bernstein again, and I played some of West Side Story. He told me he had met Bernstein once and that Bernstein had said he was a big fan of Michael’s.

Back in the house, whenever he’d go from room to room, you’d hear, ‘I love you, Daddy.’ ‘I love you, Paris.’ They all seemed pretty normal and happy.

Michael was very anxious to get the pieces orchestrated and record the music with a big orchestra. I suggested we record it at the Fox, Sony or Warner Brothers lot. I asked if he could have someone call me to discuss the budget and he said he would take care of it. When I left there were several fans outside the gate.

[Later] I talked to Michael on the phone. He asked me how the project was going and I said I was waiting to hear from someone so we could set the deal. I suggested we could record the music in London while he was doing the show there. He liked the idea. He again brought up Arabesque.

I laid the music all out on my computer and started on the orchestrations. Finally, a week before Michael died, his manager, Frank Dileo, called and asked me for an email with the budget and an electronic mock-up of the music, the costs of orchestration.

Now I have no idea what’s going to happen with this. I’m hoping the family will do something to get this done. I will not bring it up [with them] until after what I think is an appropriate time.

My guess is that each piece would be seven to ten minutes long. [Each one] is more substantial than a song. It’s very pretty music. One piece had an Irish quality about it. I suggested that we could use a Celtic harp. The pieces sound like pretty film score music, with very traditional harmony, and definitely very strong melodies. One of them was a little John Barry-ish, like in Out of Africa -- that kind of John Barry score. I could hear [in my head] sweeping strings and French horns in unison.

I told Michael I was going to use one of Leonard Bernstein’s batons I had bought at auction when we did the recording. I knew he would have gotten a big kick out of that. I guess I still will use that baton if I ever get to conduct the music.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/ent...c/2009/07/more_details_on_instrumental_a.html

Back