Weekend News Bytes:(Update for April 20, 2008 on post #42)

Dorothy_Marie

Proud Member
Michael Jackson News:

http://leamingtonobserver.co.uk/ents41640.html

Thriller at the Belgrade

thriller_c565804_8418_899.jpg

18 April 2008

TRIBUTE is paid to Michael Jackson at Coventry's Belgrade Theatre next week.
Thriller Live, the first multimedia concert specially created to celebrate the career of one the world's greatest entertainers, has been put together by Jackson biographer Adrian Grant.
A celebration of the music of Michael Jackson solo and the Jackson 5. It takes the audience on a journey through the music of the King of Pop in the 25th anniversary year of the world’s biggest selling album, Thriller.
The concert features over 30 performers including a full company of singers, a live band, a gospel choir - and even features choreography from Jackson’s own live show team.
The show includes over two-hours of hit songs including, I Want You Back, I'll Be There, Show You The Way To Go, Can You Feel It, Rock With You, She's Out Of My Life, Thriller, Beat It, Billie Jean, Earth Song, and more.
Thriller Live can be seen from Tuesday (April 29) to May 3. Tickets, priced £19.50 to £31, are available now from the box office on 024 7655 3055 or online at www.belgrade.co.uk.

Michael Jackson Mentionings:

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/insidepike/archives/136644.asp?from=blog_last3

Last fall, I didn't see it myself but I heard that a big group of people busted into a choreographed dance to Michael Jackson's "Thriller."
A huge group dancing to Thriller right on those darn red cobblestones (shown on YouTube below...). I hate it that missed it! But, there will assuredly me more performances....
The Market's not going anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un3NvqEmqto

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/tvguide/359612_tvgif18.html

TV Guide: Were they break-dancing contests?
Poehler: If only! Unfortunately in my suburban basement, it was just a lot of dancing to Michael Jackson records and K-Tel records. I would be the judge, but I would win every time. You gotta go where the talent is!

http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=c089c904-7dcd-460f-86fe-05f87766512a

Here are some other points of interest from the settlement:
  • She gets the photographs of Hollywood great Claudette Colbert and pop singer Michael Jackson that hung outside the couple's master suite. She also gets a shot of herself that apparently ran in Sports Illustrated.
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080418/COL0101/804180345/1300/biz

Since then, Google has stayed quietly in the background while YouTube continued its brand of online video entertainment.
I'm not a big YouTube fan, but who can resist the video of the prisoners doing Michael Jackson's Thriller routine.
So I joined around 3.6 billion others in February that visited the YouTube Web site.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/entertainment/clubs/s/2026149_mission_accomplished_pitcher_and_piano

DJ Jack and crew pumped out classics such as Red Red Wine and a variety of blues tunes as the crowd excitedly chatted and the Apocraphalites readied themselves for the stage.
The band intro’d with a ska rendition of the Hawaii Five-O theme music and Michael Jackson’s Billie Jean.

Michael Jackson HIStory:

1984 - Michael Jackson went into surgery in Los Angeles. Doctors performed scalp surgery to repair damage done after Jackson's hair caught fire during the filming of a Pepsi commercial on January 27.

2004 - The Los Angeles Police Department released a statement saying that it was contacted by the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office in March regarding allegations of child abuse against Michael Jackson. The charges came from an 18-year-old who claimed that he had been molested for six years starting when he was three years old. On June 2, it was announced that no evidence was found to support the charges. The case was unrelated to the case based out of Santa Barbara, CA.

Last edited:
Re: Weekend News Bytes for April 18-20, 2008

Here are some other points of interest from the settlement:
  • She gets the photographs of Hollywood great Claudette Colbert and pop singer Michael Jackson that hung outside the couple's master suite. She also gets a shot of herself that apparently ran in Sports Illustrated.

Oh my goodness, that is TOO cute.

The "settlement" in question is David Hasselhoff's divorce. They actually had a picture of Michael hanging on the wall, outside their bedroom. LOL! That's a new one on me.

BEWARE - MICHAEL JACKSON IS EVERYWHERE!

thanks for the news...

Great that I live in Coventry (Thriller musical) so UNgreat that I will be out of the country the week it begins..talk about awful timing. grrr

thank you for the mentionings

http://www.brazzil.com/p54sep02.htm

Samba in the Kitchen

She has charmed the President of Brazil and Michael Jackson with her cooking. Hollywood and Brazilian Royalty has savored her cuisine. Now, Remi is being celebrated in song and parade prepared in her homage.

David de Hilster

"When I cook, I love to hear the sounds of the ingredients in the pans. They sing to me."

While living in Brazil, one of my friends told me "Michael Jackson loves Brazilian food. He eats black beans, rice, and collard greens!" I chalked it up to another one of those Brazilian tall tales and I left it at that. Many years later, that statement would come back to haunt me when I moved from Rio to Los Angeles and saw an article in a Brazilian newspaper entitled "Remi: Brazilian Cook to Michael Jackson and other Hollywood royalty".

Brazzil: You and Quincy Jones have a special relationship. How did he become such a big fan of yours?
Remi: Eventually, I cooked for almost every movie star and musician in Hollywood. I met Quincy once at a dinner I cooked for some other musician. He loved my food and asked me if he could come and do something very important. He told me that he wanted to be Michael Jackson's producer but every time he invited Michael to his house, Michael would never eat. He asked me if he could get Michael to eat some of my food. He said that Michael was a vegetarian and very picky about what he ate. I said I would try.
I went to Quincy's house and there I met Michael for the first time. I took him aside and told him, "Let me make you something very special. I know how to cook very healthy food from Brazil. All natural, all vegetarian. You will like it." He agreed. I made him some black beans, collard greens, farofa (toasted, seasoned cassava flour) and some other things, and he ate four plates full!
Quincy was kissing me all night long and from that time, he has called me many times to cook for him.

Brazzil: Your trip on the Michael Jackson's Thriller tour. Tell me how that came about.
Remi: That is another very amazing story. I was living in West Los Angeles in a small apartment when I got a phone call. The person on the phone asked me to look outside. He said, "See the limousine? Get in it, now!" I told him I could not because I was taking care of a person off the street and could not leave him. They said that they would send someone to look after the person right away and for me to get into the car. I told them I had to change my clothes because I was all dirty from cleaning. They didn't care. Finally, I agreed when the man arrived to take care of my guest and I was taken to a big building in Beverly Hills and up to the very top penthouse. It was very luxurious.
The man on the other side of the desk handed me a ticket and said, "You are going to the airport right now. Here is your ticket." I asked him why. He explained to me that Michael Jackson was having stomach aches and specifically requested me to be his "nutritionist" on the Thriller tour. He was feeling sick to his stomach and refused to go on stage until they sent me to be his private cook. They were all very nervous. They said they were losing millions of dollars in canceled shows and I had to go right then.
I told them I could not and could only go in the morning. After a lot of arguing, they agreed to let me go home and they picked me up early in the morning and I was off to Birmingham Alabama. I spent eight weeks with Michael and his family on the road during the tour. It was an incredible trip I will never forget.

Brazzil: Did you become friends with him?
Remi: We became friends and I saw him numbers of times after that. I visited him in the hospital when his hair caught on fire and I saw him once in a while at an award's show or party.

Brazzil: They didn't call you Michael Jackson's chef. They called you his nutritionist didn't they? Remi: Yes. When first I came to the United States, I started learning from other chefs about what is healthy and not healthy. In Brazil, we didn't worry about what ingredients we used or what happened to someone if they ate something that made them sick. That was just part of regular life there. But in the United States, people cared about what they put into their bodies and I had to learn a lot of things quickly. I am an artist in some way and being a cook, I learned to have a "love for people". I cared about whether they got a belly-ache from eating my food not only because it needs to be prepared fresh—I always did that—but because of the ingredients themselves. I started substituting different meats in the traditional Brazilian feijoada (see recipe box) and cooking lots of things vegetarian.

It was fun for me to cook this new way because in the end I care about the taste of the food. I learned that food could be not only a wonderful experience, but also be nutritious and healthy.
I know I must have succeeded because Michael Jackson ate my food and he is very, very particular about what he puts into his body. But because Michael is so big, I got a lot of attention around the world during the Thriller tour because they called me his nutritionist. I did after all make him stop having tummy-aches during his tour and he did not have any problem with food while I cooked for him. O Globo Television in Brazil did a report on me on the show Fantástico talking about me as Michael Jackson's nutritionist. A Japanese magazine also did a story on Michael Jackson's nutritionist. Then I guess I was not a cook or chef to them. I was a "nutritionist". But today, I feel that part of being a chef IS being a nutritionist.

It was fun for me to cook this new way because in the end I care about the taste of the food. I learned that food could be not only a wonderful experience, but also be nutritious and healthy.
I know I must have succeeded because Michael Jackson ate my food and he is very, very particular about what he puts into his body. But because Michael is so big, I got a lot of attention around the world during the Thriller tour because they called me his nutritionist. I did after all make him stop having tummy-aches during his tour and he did not have any problem with food while I cooked for him. O Globo Television in Brazil did a report on me on the show Fantástico talking about me as Michael Jackson's nutritionist. A Japanese magazine also did a story on Michael Jackson's nutritionist. Then I guess I was not a cook or chef to them. I was a "nutritionist". But today, I feel that part of being a chef IS being a nutritionist.

Brazzil: Tell me some of the people you have cooked for in Hollywood. Remi: I have cooked for so, so many people. I once cooked for Michael Jackson and Elizabeth Taylor alone in Michael's house. That was very special. I have cooked for Oprah Winfrey, Paul McCartney, Eddie Murphy, Dick Van Dyke, Sugar Ray Leonard, Magic Johnson, Bill Cosby, Willie Nelson, Herb Albert. So, so many. I just can't remember them all. I used to see Gregory Peck and James Stewart walking their dogs in the neighborhood and I would talk with them and got to know them. They were very wonderful men.

Michael Jackson said _ "It's simply delicious"

Thanks for posting that news Dorothy, I really enjoyed reading about Remi the chef :).

*screeeeeech* Wait a minute. Hold up!

Michael's a collard greens man?! What the beep?!:lol:

Niiiiiiice. :shifty:

Then again that was years ago, who knows about now? I think the tour they're calling the Thriller tour has to be the Victory tour.Too too cute! Thanks for posting.

Thanks to all for the news and any updates. :flowers:

Great article...I wish he could cook for me...I love that kind of food...

:lol: I think he's become more of a Hard Rock Cafe man lately. Most of the recent citings seem to be coming from there and Asian restaurants. :p

Anyway, I was looking for the homesite the interview came from, besides the link Dorothy Marie provided, and found the full interview. There's another Michael bit and a pic. ^_^

michaelhugging1ca7.jpg

Brazzil Magazine: Now we can't do this interview without talking about your famous salsa. How and when did you come up with it?

Remi: That was a very long road! When I lived in Rio and was cooking for the politicians, I think it was 1957, I wanted to improve the looks and taste of the molho campanha. Molho campanha was always made with different sizes of tomatoes and onions and sometimes with peppers and it often was in a very thin sauce of water and vinegar. I wanted to improve it. So I cut up all the ingredients to be equal and made a more interesting sauce and everyone liked it. But because of all the politics in those days, the politicians didn't worry too much about the salsa then.

It wasn't until I came to the United States that I made the salsa again and there it took off. I made it once in 1968 when I was living and cooking for Sergio Mendez. But the time it became really popular when I cooked for Sidney Poitier during a dinner for the movie "Out of Africa". I was making Bo-Bo, and African dish for Sidney and a famous African musician. Everyone loved it and people started asking for it. Sidney's wife asked me to make a big jar of it so she could put it on apple pie! That was very amazing! My salsa which is spicy on apple pie?

Brazzil Magazine: There's a story about you, your salsa, and Quincy Jones in Madison Square Garden during the Michael Jackson "Thriller" tour. Tell me about that.

Remi: Yes, Quincy Jones loves my salsa. Quincy first tasted my salsa and became addicted to it at Sidney's (Poitier) house. Once in Madison Square Garden, I just got done preparing the special tea I made for Michael Jackson and placed them all around the backstage area for him to drink during the show. When I was done, I then went back in the back of the auditorium and waited for the show.

All of a sudden, there was a pounding at the microphone and the crowd went wild. They yelled "Michael, Michael", screaming and yelling. Then all of a sudden I hear my name. "Remi, Remi!" over the sound system. I didn't believe it at first but it was Quincy. "Remi, return to Los Angeles, there is no more salsa!" Quincy had run out of salsa before the show and wanted more. He was always playing jokes. That was very funny. I will never forget that.

Brazzil Magazine: Once I heard that Quincy Jones had all his brothers line up and kiss your feet. Is that true?

Remi: I will never forget that. The Jones boys loved my cooking and always made their wives write down the recipe. I even dictated recipes over the phone to them all over the United States. But they said it never tasted quite like what I make. One day, they were so happy to eat my cooking again at Quincy's house, that Quincy came to me and said: "Remi, come here! You must come here outside." So I went out side to find all his brothers on their knees in a line waiting for me. They all came over and kissed my feet. It was very funny but they were serious. They were crazy for my cooking. It was also the cachaça. They got very funny and friendly when they drank caipirinhas.

Brazzil Magazine: B.B. King once called you the B.B. King of Cooking. Why do you think you have cooked and related so well with musicians?

Remi: I think cooking and making music is the same thing. Instead of instruments, I have my pots and pans and stove. Instead of notes, I have ingredients. Instead of music, I have the food I make. B.B. King said that the sizzle and the crackling of the ingredients in my pans were a virtual symphony of delights and I never forgot that.

Now when I cook, I love to hear the sounds of the ingredients in the pans. They sing to me.

Sammy Davis Junior said to me once "Remi, I wish I could just become very small and jump into your pan of beans eat and dance and dance".

Brazzil Magazine: You used to cook for Tom Jobim and all his Bossa Nova friends is that right?

Remi: Yes. That was incredible. I would cook for them all night. They would sit around playing, laughing, joking around. And after one party at one person's house, they would go to another. What music. What emotion.

The rest can be read here. And suddenly I feel hungry again.:lol:

im always more than happy to hear that michaels a vegetarian like me :wub:

Enjoyed reading that article about the Brazilian chef. And Thriller Live is generating quite a bit of buzz! :D

Last edited:

a little off topic or is it?
Clive Davis out as BMG head

Barry Weiss named CEO of Sony's music label, Davis retained as chief creative officer.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Legendary music executive Clive Davis has been replaced by Barry Weiss as chairman and chief executive officer of the BMG label group.

Parent company Sony (SNE) BMG announced the move Thursday. The 74-year-old Davis will become chief creative officer of Sony BMG. Two other BMG executives also departed in the label shakeup.

The 49-year-old Weiss oversaw several labels as president and CEO of the Zomba Label Group. He helped grow Jive Records from a small imprint to a major force with such blockbuster acts as Britney Spears, Usher, the Backstreet Boys, Justin Timberlake and 'N Sync. Recent successes include teen sensation Chris Brown and singer-songwriter T-Pain.

As head of BMG, Weiss will oversee RCA Records, Jive, J Records, LaFace, Arista, Volcano, Verity, GospoCentric and Fo Yo Soul.

Sony BMG said that Davis will continue to work with top artists in his new position as chief creative officer Sony BMG Worldwide.

http://money.cnn.com/POLLSERVER/results/39139.html

Sorry for the lateness of the news thread for April 19, 2008.

Michael Jackson Mentionings April 19, 2008:

http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNews/idUSN1829654820080419

How to save the album

By Quincy Jones
LOS ANGELES (Billboard) - Ever since Shawn Fanning launched the original Napster -- and even more so now that legitimate downloading has taken off via iTunes -- I've been hearing lots of talk about the death of the album.
It's getting louder and louder, and it has our industry running scared. As you all know, single tracks -- whether they're purchased legitimately or downloaded illegally -- are cutting into the sales of albums, which are far more profitable.
The big question is, What, as an industry, should we do about this? Do we deny consumers the freedom of choice of buying single tracks, as Jay-Z did with his "American Gangster" album? That's one way of preserving the art form known as the album, but I think there's an even better solution.
Artists, producers, songwriters and A&R folks: Rise up to the challenge and make your album so good that fans will want to buy the whole thing. I realize every album can't have six or seven top 10 singles, like Michael Jackson and I were blessed with on "Thriller" and "Bad," but you've got to try. If it's good enough, the fans will buy it. Maybe they'll want to whet their appetite by only buying a track or two at first, but if you keep coming out with good tracks and pique their interest, they'll be back.
There's actually an opportunity here to sell more than just the album. Release a digital track early. That's an easy sell, but make sure the rest of the album delivers that same kind of quality and excitement, and they'll be back to buy additional tracks and/or hopefully the entire album as you conceived it. And don't forget special packaging for the physical product. If you and your team deliver quality goods, the fans will want to buy it.
Can you imagine a world in which people only bought a single download of Miles Davis' "So What" instead of the greatest jazz album of all time, "Kind of Blue?" Or "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" instead of Marvin Gaye's complete masterpiece "What's Going On?" Or even a single track from Herbie Hancock's Grammy Award-winning "River: The Joni Letters" instead of the whole collection?
We need to stop complaining about single-song downloads and instead focus on making better music that'll make fans want more than just one song.
Reuters/Billboard

http://www.nationalpost.com/life/travel/story.html?id=456290

There are builder kings and then there is King Ludwig II. Ludwig, otherwise known as Mad King Ludwig, was like Michael Jackson, Liberace and Nero rolled into one. From 1864, when the 18-year-old Crown Prince ascended the Bavarian throne, to 1886, when he was declared a certified nutjob and dethroned, Ludwig built three castles -- Linderhof, Neuschwanstein and Herrenchiemsee--each one a more glaringly "all wrong, all wrong" design than the last: in randomly proportioned, pseudo medieval, pseudo baroque or pseudo classical styles, with a kitsch factor that's off the charts.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23566687-2902,00.html

They have sold more than 150 million albums worldwide and 1980's Back in Black - with Brian Johnson on vocals following Bon Scott's death -- sold 22 million copies in the US alone - surpassed only by Michael Jackson's Thriller.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/lifest...iews/2008/04/21/on-your-garda-84229-20788949/

IT wasn’t too long ago that I wandered to the hard-drinking end of Tenerife to be swamped by a collection of sweaty sales people flogging everything from fake Rolex watches to timeshares.
There were dozens of Elvis and Michael Jackson impersonators at the bars and pubs, which were lookalikes of the drinking dens left behind in Newcastle’s Bigg Market.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/baseball/ironpigs/all-ironpigs.6370097apr19,0,956794.story

The only ''Thriller'' at Coca-Cola Park on Friday night was Michael Jackson's 1982 hit being played over the P.A. system to accompany the dancing grounds crew prior to the top of the seventh inning.

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/CityHom.../citytimes_April187.xml&section=citytimes&col=

How does your backround/origins influence your music?
Obviously being Lebanese my parents would always play Arabic music in the house, my dad used to play the Darbuka drum and the Oud so I was naturally influenced by those, however I wasn’t inclined to listen to them because it wasn’t what was cool in school so I used to listen to hip-hop and R&B, I grew up with Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, 112, and Prince. Only recently, just about 2 or 3 years ago as I got older, I thought it would be good to go back to your roots and let me experiment with something Arabic, let me try something fresh. So I asked my mom for her Arabic collection, and I sat down for a month just listening. Although I wasn’t necessarily into it back then, I got into just studying how they structure their songs. As I was producing and writing all my music, I got a Darbuka player, and we put it together, it turned into complete fusion between east and west.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/apr/19/take-note-its-national-record-store-day/

Back when Michael Jackson thrilled audiences with his moon walk and fans had "Faith" in George Michael, record stores across the country were doing a booming business.
However, with the rise of the iTunes and YouTube generations, record stores have to put a new spin on doing business. Today in East Tennessee and around the world, independent record stores are banding together for "Record Store Day 2008."

Michael Jackson HIStory for April 19, 2008:

1997 - A wax statue of Michael Jackson was unveiled at Paris' Grevin Museum of Wax.

Re: Weekend News Bytes for April 18-20, 2008 (update for April 19, 2008 on post #16)

Thanks for the news. Great reads. :)

Q told the truth on that article. On point.

Re: Weekend News Bytes for April 18-20, 2008 (update for April 19, 2008 on post #16)

Well, he is supposedly working with Michael. Maybe this is the advice he is giving him. Maybe Michael is really working hard to make a really good album. Not just an album with one or two hits and the rest in B sides. I think Michael is trying to make another Thriller success. Maybe not as big, but close to it.

Michael still in talks with the O2 Dome CEO? According to this Guardian article yes. MMMMMM interesting......

http://music.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2273962,00.html

Haven't you got a Dome to go to?

Leonard Cohen will be on Keith's river in July (can't wait to see the all-action giant video screen for that one), and U2, Coldplay and Oasis are all elbowing for residencies this year (Campbell: 'I can confirm some of those names you mention'). With anticipated career-reviving throws of the dice from Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson ('Yes, we are in talks. How does one talk to Michael Jackson? Through Michael Jackson's lawyers'), good times at the O2 will continue to roll, its success all the more remarkable given that it sprang from the loudest trumpeting white elephant of modern times. The former Millennium Dome was an £800m blunder that until 2007 was still costing the taxpayer £190,000 a year to maintain. 'For a marketing man there was no bigger challenge,' says Campbell, 46, as he takes me on a comprehensive tour of the O2's 20-acre site, 'than taking that large white elephant and trying to make it otherwise.'

But there's one more deal to strike. 'If it's the last thing I do,' says Randy Phillips, 'I'm going to get Michael Jackson on that stage.'

Michael still in talks with the O2 Dome CEO? According to this Guardian article yes. MMMMMM interesting......

http://music.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2273962,00.html

Haven't you got a Dome to go to?

Leonard Cohen will be on Keith's river in July (can't wait to see the all-action giant video screen for that one), and U2, Coldplay and Oasis are all elbowing for residencies this year (Campbell: 'I can confirm some of those names you mention'). With anticipated career-reviving throws of the dice from Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson ('Yes, we are in talks. How does one talk to Michael Jackson? Through Michael Jackson's lawyers'), good times at the O2 will continue to roll, its success all the more remarkable given that it sprang from the loudest trumpeting white elephant of modern times. The former Millennium Dome was an £800m blunder that until 2007 was still costing the taxpayer £190,000 a year to maintain. 'For a marketing man there was no bigger challenge,' says Campbell, 46, as he takes me on a comprehensive tour of the O2's 20-acre site, 'than taking that large white elephant and trying to make it otherwise.'

But there's one more deal to strike. 'If it's the last thing I do,' says Randy Phillips, 'I'm going to get Michael Jackson on that stage.'

^^Isn't this great that these people want Michael there so badly? Michael is up to something. :cool:

Re: Weekend News Bytes :Michael is still in talks with the O2 Dome Arena people; article on post #20

^ interesting :p

thanks for the weekend bytes Dorothy :wild:

Re: Weekend News Bytes :Michael is still in talks with the O2 Dome Arena people; article on post #20

"If it's the last thing I do, I'm going to get Michael Jackson on that stage!"

I hope so, dude!

Can some give me some stats on this O2 Arena? Like how many people does it seat?

Thanks Dorothy for posting all of this news :flowers:.

:D Right now, I assume that Michael's primary interest is simply getting his new material finished up and released. I'm sure that he's also been eying a lot of these possible appearances and concerts, but obviously he isn't ready to commit to any of them before his new music is set in stone and he's worked on new choreography and such.

Prince's tickets were $31.21 in London money. Can someone tell me how much that is in USA money?

That's cheap. That's like $62.00 about, but those were probably nose bleed seats.

Well, from what I have read, Prince was originally booked for 21 nights, but ended up adding 7 nights after they saw how well his tickets were selling.

I think that Michael will end up lasting way longer than that. I mean the place only seats 20,000. Now yall know darn well that Michael has a huge fanbase over there in the UK and all those people will want to get to see him again. By now, the kids of those people are probably wishing to see him as well. So I think that if Michael were up to it, he may be able to pull a 5 month run.

I want to see him do this O2 thingy, but I think this place is too small a venue for him.

Whatchallthink?

five words. don't think it's gunna happen.

(new music first..then...if at all...maybe)

Last edited:

Michael's a stadium performer. Typically he does arena's in the US I think. I don't see Michael doing a long term contract with any one venue, to be honest.

http://www.brazzil.com/p54sep02.htm

Samba in the Kitchen

She has charmed the President of Brazil and Michael Jackson with her cooking. Hollywood and Brazilian Royalty has savored her cuisine. Now, Remi is being celebrated in song and parade prepared in her homage.

David de Hilster

"When I cook, I love to hear the sounds of the ingredients in the pans. They sing to me."

While living in Brazil, one of my friends told me "Michael Jackson loves Brazilian food. He eats black beans, rice, and collard greens!" I chalked it up to another one of those Brazilian tall tales and I left it at that. Many years later, that statement would come back to haunt me when I moved from Rio to Los Angeles and saw an article in a Brazilian newspaper entitled "Remi: Brazilian Cook to Michael Jackson and other Hollywood royalty".

Brazzil: You and Quincy Jones have a special relationship. How did he become such a big fan of yours?
Remi: Eventually, I cooked for almost every movie star and musician in Hollywood. I met Quincy once at a dinner I cooked for some other musician. He loved my food and asked me if he could come and do something very important. He told me that he wanted to be Michael Jackson's producer but every time he invited Michael to his house, Michael would never eat. He asked me if he could get Michael to eat some of my food. He said that Michael was a vegetarian and very picky about what he ate. I said I would try.
I went to Quincy's house and there I met Michael for the first time. I took him aside and told him, "Let me make you something very special. I know how to cook very healthy food from Brazil. All natural, all vegetarian. You will like it." He agreed. I made him some black beans, collard greens, farofa (toasted, seasoned cassava flour) and some other things, and he ate four plates full!
Quincy was kissing me all night long and from that time, he has called me many times to cook for him.

Brazzil: Your trip on the Michael Jackson's Thriller tour. Tell me how that came about.
Remi: That is another very amazing story. I was living in West Los Angeles in a small apartment when I got a phone call. The person on the phone asked me to look outside. He said, "See the limousine? Get in it, now!" I told him I could not because I was taking care of a person off the street and could not leave him. They said that they would send someone to look after the person right away and for me to get into the car. I told them I had to change my clothes because I was all dirty from cleaning. They didn't care. Finally, I agreed when the man arrived to take care of my guest and I was taken to a big building in Beverly Hills and up to the very top penthouse. It was very luxurious.
The man on the other side of the desk handed me a ticket and said, "You are going to the airport right now. Here is your ticket." I asked him why. He explained to me that Michael Jackson was having stomach aches and specifically requested me to be his "nutritionist" on the Thriller tour. He was feeling sick to his stomach and refused to go on stage until they sent me to be his private cook. They were all very nervous. They said they were losing millions of dollars in canceled shows and I had to go right then.
I told them I could not and could only go in the morning. After a lot of arguing, they agreed to let me go home and they picked me up early in the morning and I was off to Birmingham Alabama. I spent eight weeks with Michael and his family on the road during the tour. It was an incredible trip I will never forget.

Brazzil: Did you become friends with him?
Remi: We became friends and I saw him numbers of times after that. I visited him in the hospital when his hair caught on fire and I saw him once in a while at an award's show or party.

Brazzil: They didn't call you Michael Jackson's chef. They called you his nutritionist didn't they? Remi: Yes. When first I came to the United States, I started learning from other chefs about what is healthy and not healthy. In Brazil, we didn't worry about what ingredients we used or what happened to someone if they ate something that made them sick. That was just part of regular life there. But in the United States, people cared about what they put into their bodies and I had to learn a lot of things quickly. I am an artist in some way and being a cook, I learned to have a "love for people". I cared about whether they got a belly-ache from eating my food not only because it needs to be prepared fresh—I always did that—but because of the ingredients themselves. I started substituting different meats in the traditional Brazilian feijoada (see recipe box) and cooking lots of things vegetarian.

Brazzil: Tell me some of the people you have cooked for in Hollywood. Remi: I have cooked for so, so many people. I once cooked for Michael Jackson and Elizabeth Taylor alone in Michael's house. That was very special. I have cooked for Oprah Winfrey, Paul McCartney, Eddie Murphy, Dick Van Dyke, Sugar Ray Leonard, Magic Johnson, Bill Cosby, Willie Nelson, Herb Albert. So, so many. I just can't remember them all. I used to see Gregory Peck and James Stewart walking their dogs in the neighborhood and I would talk with them and got to know them. They were very wonderful men.

Michael Jackson said _ "It's simply delicious"

yeah...they gotta mention MIchael along with the President of Brazil..then, they're too lazy to mention anyone else so..they just say Brazilian and Hollywood royalty. lol...Yep...MJ is the big.

Back