We Are The World 25 for Haiti / Official video now in first post.

I saw that, quite a hilarious story!:D Michael was something else:wub:

Why oh why did Michael had to die? :cry:

Anger, sadness, anger, sadness, anger, sadness....I feel like I'm plucking out a daisie for the last 8 months. :(

Re: Lionel Richie on Oprah about We Are The World (MJ related)

come one Richie, who really wrote (at least 90%) the song?-_-

It was shown again last night on CNN :yes:
I know it's on Youtube but
Does anyone know if any station in the US
will rebroadcast it today???

Feb 14 2010 4:56 PM EST
Jay-Z Calls Original 'We Are The World' 'Untouchable'
'I think it's great, but 'We are the World' is [musically] untouchable, like 'Thriller' ' Jay-Z says during NBA All-Star weekend.

By Shaheem Reid

DALLAS -- "We Are the World: 25 for Haiti," the all-star remake of the classic 1985 charity single, premiered on Friday night during the Winter Olympics opening ceremony. The song features dozens of today's biggest musical artists, ranging from Kanye West and Pink to Barbra Streisand and Tony Bennett, and unlike the original, it also features a large number of rappers. However, the genre's biggest star said that to him, musically speaking, nothing could ever come close to the original.

"I have a interesting take on that," Jay-Z said Saturday at the annual "2 Kings" dinner, which was sponsored by Sprite and Bing and took place during NBA All-Star weekend. "I know everybody is gonna take this wrong: 'We Are the World,' I love it, and I understand the point and think it's great. But I think 'We Are the World' is like [Michael Jackson's] 'Thriller' to me. I don't ever wanna see it touched. I'm a fan of music. I know the plight and everything that's going on in Haiti. I applaud the efforts: [Millions have been raised] through text [donations] to Haiti. So I appreciate the efforts and everything, but 'We are the World' is [musically] untouchable like 'Thriller' is untouchable. Some things are just untouchable. It was a valiant effort, but for me, it's gonna be untouchable."

Jay said he felt that a new song should have been written instead of re-creating the 1985 classic.

"I would have loved that idea better," he said. "As everyone knows, I have tremendous respect for Quincy Jones. Of course, I think he's genius, as everyone else does. [But] I think it's time for us to make a new [song].
I tried to do that with 'Stranded,' the song Jay, Rihanna and U2's Bono and the Edge premiered at the 'Hope for Haiti Now' telethon]. I didn't try to make 'We Are the World,' but I tried to make our take on how we felt."

In fact, Jay and LeBron James spent the early part of Saturday giving back in Dallas. They visited a local Boys & Girls Club and gave out not just scholarships, but words of advice and inspiration telling the kids to pursue their dreams.

The "2 Kings" dinner and afterparty was held at the W Hotel in Dallas. Diddy, Mario Lopez, Terrell Owens, Magic Johnson, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Major League Baseball Hall of Famer Dave Winfield were among those who attended.

I don't know if this is already posted... but I agree completely with JAY-Z concerning the pitiful remake of ''WATW''

Funny, er'body damn near wanted to string him up a tree last week when he tried to compliment Usher in the wrong wrooooong way.
init.php

That said, I think he's absolutely right: they should have LEFT WATW alooooone. The original is great; the remake sucks sweaty monkey balls. And what Jay left out (probably too mindful of the press to say) is that Q ain't write a NEW song because the dude ain't about shiit these days. The majority of WATW's magic was due to THE DEAD GUY Q can't stop badmouthing, except for when it benefits him to seem like he's grieving. So, there was no way they were gonna write a 'new classic', because they can't resurrect the guy with the talent to do it. And they ONLY left that guy's vocals in, and got his sister to add to them, for fear people who LOVED Michael would completely reject the new version if he wasn't a part of it.

This is what some poster on another board said and I agree thoroughly.

This is what some poster on another board said and I agree thoroughly.

this is coming from a rapper, about a remake with rap in it. i could never understand why people automatically think that if a person says they hate the rap parts in this remake, that means that that person hates rap, in general.

in fact, i'd really like to hear the new Jay Z track for Haiti. i'm really in the mood to hear something original for this cause. i'll still say how i honestly feel about it, if i hear it.

Re: Lionel Richie on Oprah about We Are The World (MJ related)

Ogar stop bein' a fake ass bish. She actin' like she actually cared about Michael at all. ppfft :doh:

And Michael wrote most of the song. So yea w.e. A lot of people in the media seem to be forgetting that FACT. I see how they, the media, are trying to get Michael's name out of it as much as they can. :smilerolleyes:

The song is for a good cause and thats really the MOST important thing here. HOWEVER, that song is a hot mess. There is no comparision between that mess and the original. LOL T-pain and that auto tune box of his

Sorry to sound so naive.....:-(
But isn't auto tuning a means to mask your inability to hit the right notes???

Or, is auto tuning a new fad???

a new way to make music???

A new sound for new music???

So why would they make the auto tuning so obvious in this video???

Shouldn't they make it a subtle disguise???/

Just trying to understand auto tuning......ty

I just saw this other comment:

" And that's really what's most disappointing about this overblown redux. Nobody can argue wi ...th its worthy cause -- the song's latest proceeds will go to earthquake relief in Haiti -- but the recording's original thrill was due to the panoply of voices gracefully working together: a reedy Willie Nelson, a roaring Bruce Springsteen, an angelic Michael Jackson.

On the new version -- its video will be simulcast around the world Saturday -- Jackson's original vocal contribution was wisely left intact. "

By Chris RichardsWashington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, February 13, 2010

My local newspaper had a similar comment: the most emotional part of the new tune is Michael Jackson's original singing.

On your face, Quincy Jones!! On YOUR face!!!

Yeh im worried that ppl wont bother bout the real meaning of this song cuz this version is just crap!

Did anyone hear the news about Gloria Estefan re-making WATW in Spanish?

OMG! FAIL!

Is it that hard to make a new song? :rolleyes:

Yeh im worried that ppl wont bother bout the real meaning of this song cuz this version is just crap!

lionel richie just appeared on oprah, and oprah played the original, and the whole audience was into it. this was the day before the debut of the remake...so..lol..i guess the world knows the original

Idk, this song/release is "updated" to bring in people from a newer generation, most likely many of which have never seen the original. It doesn't have the same feel without Michael for me. But if it affects people to get involved, donate, do something, then isn't this what Michael would ultimately want? I didn't think it was all that bad, there were some standout voices/interpretations that I liked very much, Barbra being one of them for me; Pink has some power in her own right, for some reason I do enjoy what she puts out, and that's coming from a pretty "old" person in years.

No, it will never compare to Michael's original, but can't we sometimes overlook that and just do what we know he would want us to do? While I completely understand the comparison, it just doesn't seem like something Michael in his heart would want me/us to do, ie, belittle the participants because he was not the "star" of the singing of the message? :(

jmo

Last edited:
Idk, this song/release is "updated" to bring in people from a newer generation, most likely many of which have never seen the original. It doesn't have the same feel without Michael for me. But if it affects people to get involved, donate, do something, then isn't this what Michael would ultimately want? I didn't think it was all that bad, there were some standout voices/interpretations that I liked very much, Barbra being one of them for me; Pink has some power in her own right, for some reason I do enjoy what she puts out, and that's coming from a pretty "old" person in years.

No, it will never compare to Michael's original, but can't we sometimes overlook that and just do what we know he would want us to do? While I completely understand the comparison, it just doesn't seem like something Michael in his heart would want me/us to do, ie, belittle the participants because he was not the "star" of the singing of the message? :(

jmo

why is there always this assumption that if we think a remake is bad, that we are belittling someone, or that we are not donating to Haiti, in other ways?

there are a host of artists that mJ did not work with. he spoke a lot about pulling the best out of someone. he didn't want mediocre work. being honest about a remake, and saying it is not good, is not a personal attack on an artist. nothing is said about the artist. something is only said about the remake.

why is there always this assumption that if we think a remake is bad, that we are belittling someone, or that we are not donating to Haiti, in other ways?

there are a host of artists that mJ did not work with. he spoke a lot about pulling the best out of someone. he didn't want mediocre work. being honest about a remake, and saying it is not good, is not a personal attack on an artist. nothing is said about the artist. something is only said about the remake.

Guess it's all personal interpretation. I personally did not find this "remake" to be totally inferior per se, but from a different generation, a different sound, a different "interpretation". There's always room for improvement on anything, depending upon one's desire for what "could have been". Do I think Michael would have said "that was crap"? Maybe. But more than anything I think he would have said, not being able to direct this production, thanks for the trying-

I really like new version. Of course its not comparable to the original, but as far as bringing it into 2010, incorporating new young artists I think its a job well done. Very uplifting at the end.

lionel richie just appeared on oprah, and oprah played the original, and the whole audience was into it. this was the day before the debut of the remake...so..lol..i guess the world knows the original

See what i mean! the original still captures hearts even today!
The first is best :punk:

The 7 minute version was to air on Saturdays' Olympic Games.
I was all set to record it but I missed the first 20 minutes of it.
Did they show it? I watched for a long time after but never saw it.
So of course, I didnt get to record it. *pout*
I did get to record the 3 minute version tho.

They should have just released WMCIG! I like the remake, but WMCIG is just sitting there waiting to raise some money.

After listening to it 5 times, I'm starting to like it better TBH. Only lil wayne, akon and that other autotune guys just ruins the track with their autotune. Come on, everyone can sing in autotune effect.

Terrible!

Worst piece of garbage I've ever heard. No, Michael would not be happy with the job that was done here. Quincy and Lionel should be ashamed for putting this out. I'm all for helping Haiti, but when is everyone going to stop exploiting MJ or his image to make money or a name for themselves. Quincy did show Michael respect before or after his death. Yet he wants to take credit for putting this together? You can have it Quincy! This totally stinks!!! I will listen to the original.

I love it, updating it will broaden it's audience and this is about making as much money as possible to help, so how can that not be a good thing. They put a lot of work into it and you can't please everyone. I think Michael would be proud.

I wept all the way through it, of course he should be here but his work continues to help people and I think it was done with respect for him.

They should have just released WMCIG! I like the remake, but WMCIG is just sitting there waiting to raise some money.

Now that I can agree with. WMCIG is a wonderful song, damn you Mottola! I just pray it will be released one day, it really is such a beautiful song.

What else than can i say then...

ridiculous?

Crap, horrible, terrible?

When you have that failure of a Lil Wayne in it with his horrible autotune....and even Wyclef manages to ruin it miserably...sigh. Even rapping in it...nah...now i've seen it all. I said it before...

horrible!

They should not have touched this. And that asswipe lil wayne who talked alotta crap abuot Michael..and HE is in this...you gotta be joking...

Back