Was There Ever Beef Between Michael And Quincy Jones?

Well maybe Quincy was just jealous that Michael grew and grew after they parted ways after Bad, whilst Quincy kind of faded into obscurity and is now in most people's minds only known for Thriller and none of his own stuff. Michael survived post-Quincy, but can you really say the same for Q? To this day he'll do an interview and about 20 seconds in someone mentions Michael and then that's all they talk about for the rest of the time. They don't care about his '1029832 projects' and his going to Wales or whatever he's doing now.

I have Quincy's 1995 "Q's Jook Joint" Album and among the credits it says thanks to "Lisa Marie & Michael Jackson" among others, so I don't think there was such a big beef betwen them.

I don't care what relationship they had, Quincy should not have said some of the things he has said as I don't think Michael would EVER have said things in that way about him!

regardless of tention between the two, I guess it's a natural decision to part ways after 3 albums together. It's important to change one's style and grow as an artist. as I see it Thriller and bad has the same kind of style. same goes for Dangerous and History. If michael had continued with quincy, and made yet another album like thriller and bad I think Michael would have faded as an artist and become boring. people would have stopped to listen and turn to other artists. Time changes, quincy and mike had worked together for a decade. I think he did a good choice teaming up with teddy riley.

Sure there is: he's an ass.
Well said:clapping:

It annoys me too that Q gets so much credit for Thriller.

Michael himself said that Thriller was all his, all of what had been in his head for so long coming out, he's the one who wanted every song to be a hit instead of the industry standard of just one or two with the rest filler songs, AND I thought he CO-produced the album along with Michael...? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I don't have the original album.

I never heard of Q before nor after Thriller unless someone was referring to Thriller.

In an interview shortly after Michael passed, he talked about a conversation years ago where (according to him) Michael said that rap was dead...he told Michael no it wasn't, then the next thing he knew Michael was working with some rappers and paying them 5 times as much as he paid him. He started the story by saying "I have to be honest".

My first thought was OH, so the truth finally comes out...that's why he had issues with Michael...never heard about that before.

But who cares what he thinks about Michael...besides he's buddies with Oprah anyways...birds of a feather.
I think you're talkin bout this interview. The pay issue. "He paid Teddy Riley 5 times I got paid" blah blah laaa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB9T7mxRmAs

He's a bitter old man whose success and fame from the associations with Michael Jackson went to his head and fucked up his mentality. It is what it is. "Michael is part of my soul"? "He's like my son"? Get the fuck outta here:smilerolleyes:

I'm sure there were disagreements on musical side, which is natural. Quincy Jones is the one who made it ugly. Went personal and in public and shit. Michael never did that. Well, I wouldn't be surprised if they fell out badly in terms of personal relationship at some point. What they said about each other in interviews don't tell you the whole truth.

i thought that stuff that the papers said that quincy said was all fake? it was in "the sun" for gods sake!

are we sure he actually said these things? can someone post a link to a reliable source quoting exactly what quincy said?

fools who ever say they didn't get along or quincy was bitter or not as talented ..he was and is A GENIUS!!!!!! no question..to go from jazzz...to off the wall and thriller as a producer is some hugeeeeeee feat...i am still in shock...it is amazing what he did..the transition..

I am sure they have artistic disputes as they didn't work together after bad but that's it..nothing bitter or hate filled...i urge all who are sceptikal to watch 30th annniversary and all of 'we are the world' with quincy conducting..micke call's him a genius and their body langauge is of pure love and respect..they had a deep love and had to off..they both gave the other their greatest success...off the wall, thrileer, bad..that is some trilogy...not to mention all quincys work in jazz..who he knew then..how he was respected...the austin powers theme....
he is a conductor, composer, plays trumphet very well, and produces and arranges music..the only ever african american to be nominated as a producer in czateogry of best picture for the colour purple which he scored...he arranged music for frank sinatra..he was so well respected he got together artist for we are the world and made dizzy gillespie re do his songs which is something he said he would never do....

imo mj was just as lucky to find/meet and collaborate with quincy as quincy was for mj...without the other..they might not have reached that next level...mj could have gone down the jackie wilson route had he not met qj..you never know...so they were both part of each other...this is why qj says part of his soul has gone..they were kindred spirits...show the great man respect..ignorant foools damnnnn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0yXe83M8Oo

I don't care what relationship they had, Quincy should not have said some of the things he has said as I don't think Michael would EVER have said things in that way about him!

Agreed, some of the things he's said are just plain wrong. =/

I don't care what Quincy thinks about Michael's skin. He can have an opinion even if he is mistaken.

I still love Quincy and I think he has been a great producer and mentor to Michael. Maybe their relationship cooled a bit when Michael left him, maybe he didn't fully understand Michael as a person, but Michael was not easy to understand and Quincy is not a psychologist to figure him out. He cared for Michael, the musician.

Honestly I think this is pretty much it in a nutshell. Now granted Q probably shouldn't have made the comments he did about Michael and putting personal business out in the streets so to speak, but I really think it's as simple as them parting ways and MJ looking to find a newer more current sound to reflect the changing times. I think the work he did with Teddy was some of his BEST, and I LOVE the albums where he works majority with one producer... it seems that when he does that, at least to ME, they get a chance to gel, talk about the direction of the album and things just seem to be tighter, more feng shui if you will. But yeah folks seems to think there was some crazy big fight or disagreement and there may not have been, just a parting of ways... although again, I can see how one could think that since Q's been less than a gentleman when talking about MJ. Not a good look.

didnt they argue over the production of BAD? quincy wanted more instruments and mike wanted it to be more electronic or sum ish

Certainly possible. Listening to Bad compared to Thriller and definitely Off The Wall I can certainly hear less and less Q and more and more MJ.

regardless of tention between the two, I guess it's a natural decision to part ways after 3 albums together. It's important to change one's style and grow as an artist. as I see it Thriller and bad has the same kind of style. same goes for Dangerous and History. If michael had continued with quincy, and made yet another album like thriller and bad I think Michael would have faded as an artist and become boring. people would have stopped to listen and turn to other artists. Time changes, quincy and mike had worked together for a decade. I think he did a good choice teaming up with teddy riley.

I do too for the reasons I stated above.

It annoys me too that Q gets so much credit for Thriller.
I agree. The way some people talk you'd think that during the making of Thriller Quincy was doing all the work and Michael was just lying around and doing nothing. Also the two biggest hits of the album Billie Jean and Beat It was written and composed by Michael himself.

This is true.. I think it was probably a combination of MJ being so young at the time... like it wasn't possible for this young man to have actually created these huge hits on his own... folks forget that he had already been in the business a LONG time before that so it really shouldn't have been all that shocking. I'm sure Quincy mentored him, but at the end of the day that was a collaborative effort and they both deserve equal credit for it.

I don´t know what happed between them. I think he is grieving but the fact that he sometimes says things like "he was a part of my soul" and other times he didn´t know the man only the musician is very annoying to me and it sounds fake. Things I also find very strange is that Michael did have vitiligo. There are many pictures of it and it has once again been confirmed by his doctor that he had both vitiligo and Lupus and it sounds like Quincy didn´t know that. Also he has said that he met him in 1972 then he was 12 but that was the year he turned 14. I guess Michael was originally said to be two years younger than he really was introducd by Motown but a person who knew him well would know that. Also I think it is very mean if he said" Michael obviously didn´t want to be black have you seen his kids". That comment could really be hurting the kids. About that I don´t think he shold say anything at all. Have you seen Quincys kids. I hope he never actually said that and that part was fake.

3798c199-ec53-398e-bf9a-4774b52de03b-betawards08_quincyjones1.jpg
http://images.google.se/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bet.com/Assets/BET/Published/image/jpeg/3798c199-ec53-398e-bf9a-4774b52de03b-betawards08_quincyjones1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bet.com/Specials/BETAwards08/betawards-photos/beta08humanitarianaward.htm%3Fwbc_purpose%3DBasic%26WBCMODE%3DPresentationUnpublished%26i%3D1&usg=__Dgwiat3EblHg6B5eJL-0OND-HuY=&h=400&w=267&sz=88&hl=sv&start=6&um=1&tbnid=ln9Blbj9Q5stjM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=83&prev=/images%3Fq%3DQuincy%2BJones%2Bdaughter%26hl%3Dsv%26sa%3DX%26um%3D1
main.php
2ev4x3o.jpg

http://www.rashidajones.co.uk/rashida-jones-profile.php

Last edited:
I agree w/ michael4ever, i don't think he hates Mike, he loves the guy. But that ain't give him the right to go out in the media and keep lamblasting Mike's name. He ain't gotta keep puttin his business all out there. One minute he says he loves Mike, next his talkin ish.

He's been doing it for a while, and maybe its just me, but its gotten worse since Mike's passing.

on a lighthearted note, what was up with Mike thinknig rap was dead in '87:doh:

He probably thought it was overplayed and overexposed. Which it was. Run DMC and Beastie Boys were big in the charts at the time. Remember Michael hated overexposure and he didn't like to do what everyone else was doing, he liked to be original. Quincy was probably either remembering it wrong, misquoted, or he's just twisting it 'cause he's pissed that Michael went ahead and had rap on Dangerous anyways.

I think you're talkin bout this interview. The pay issue. "He paid Teddy Riley 5 times I got paid" blah blah laaa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB9T7mxRmAs

Yep, that's the one :cheeky:

I agree. The way some people talk you'd think that during the making of Thriller Quincy was doing all the work and Michael was just lying around and doing nothing. Also the two biggest hits of the album Billie Jean and Beat It was written and composed by Michael himself.
Okay? :yes:

He said it was limited because it only rhymed in english (if you can even understand WTH they're sayin') and there was no melody to it..."you have to be able to hum it" he said, and he was right in that regard.

BTW,
Michael is the one who won 8 Grammys for Thriller, 3 for co-PRODUCER -
Producer Of The Year (Non-Classical), Album Of The Year, Record Of The Year
:clapping:

http://www.grammy.com/GRAMMY_Awards/Winners/Results.aspx

I personally wish rap would have NEVER become mainstream. It ruined popular music. :(

I also feel rap ruined mainstream music in a big way.

I head that their was some tension between Michael and Quincy Jones during the recording of the Bad album. Quincy is supposed to have hated the song Smooth Criminal and didn't want it on the album. If that is true, it shows how out of step Quincy Jones was as that's one of Michael's biggest classics, even though it wasn't a top 5 hit on it's orginal release in 1988.

Quincy Jones always showed a lot of love in interviews for Michael until he was charged of false abuse allegation in 2003. Since then Quincy has been criticle of Michael, then always ends up being a huge hypcrite saying he loves Michael. If he loved Michael he wouldn't accuse Michael skin bleaching, and refer to Michael as a junkie. That's really low. I used to have a lot of admiration for Quincy Jones, now I just want to punch the bastard in the the face.

I agree.

Interesting. What does Teddy Riley have to do with rap? I thought his genre was New Jack Swing, meaning R&B, NOT rap.

I wish Quincy would have at least used an example that made sense LOL

Back