Was There Ever Beef Between Michael And Quincy Jones?

ParisKatherine

Proud Member
Obviously in light of what Quincy has been saying about Michael, I was trying to think back if Michael and Quincy ever argue about anything. Did Quincy sue him at one point? Why did they stop working together?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Quincy that encouraged Michael to work with Teddy Riley?

Riley being...?

Teddy Riley is the dude no one is talking about, but IMO is 10 times better producer than Quincy Jones will ever be since Teddy did most records all by myself together with Michael. - While Quincy had a room full of people working for him.

Teddy produced almost the entire Dangerous album and later on records like Ghosts, Whatever Happens, Don't Walk Away, Someone Put Your Hand Out, 2000 Watts, Heaven Can Wait, Shout, Blood On The Dance Floor (and I'm sure I've forgot some...)

Here's a clip of Teddy Riley speaking about Michael:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EfyFm5L4ZY

oh yes i remember actually watching him talk abotu michael and he broke down. but he seems a good guy, why would that cause beef between mike and quincy?

Teddy Riley is the dude no one is talking about, but IMO is 10 times better producer than Quincy Jones will ever be since Teddy did most records all by myself together with Michael. - While Quincy had a room full of people working for him.
My friend is a Teddy fan, but most of his stuff sounds alike to me. Quincy has been out a lot longer and produced, composed, and/or arranged all types of music. Teddy couldn't have done something like 'Soul Bossa Nova' or the film scores Quincy did. Teddy couldn't have produced a Helen Merrill or a Astrud Gilberto record either.

oh yes i remember actually watching him talk abotu michael and he broke down. but he seems a good guy, why would that cause beef between mike and quincy?

I don't think there ever was beef between Michael and Quincy.
I just think that Quincy is of the same kind as Michael's father and have a weird mentality.
The old generation are uncomfortable with anything "abnormal".

My friend is a Teddy fan, but most of his stuff sounds alike to me. Quincy has been out a lot longer and produced, composed, and/or arranged all types of music. Teddy couldn't have done something like 'Soul Bossa Nova' or the film scores Quincy did. Teddy couldn't have produced a Helen Merrill or a Astrud Gilberto record either.

I'd love to see how many names there is in the credits of Soul Bossa Nova.
Of course Quincy was important to Michael, but it makes me kind of sad that it's always Quincy that is talked about and portrayed as the only essential producer in Michael's career.

I don't think there ever was beef between Michael and Quincy.
I just think that Quincy is of the same kind as Michael's father and have a weird mentality.
The old generation are uncomfortable with anything "abnormal".

so there isnt really a proper reason to explain why Quincy said those things about Michael?

I'd love to see how many names there is in the credits of Soul Bossa Nova.
Of course Quincy was important to Michael, but it makes me kind of sad that it's always Quincy that is talked about and portrayed as the only essential producer in Michael's career.
It's not a producer's job to actually play all the music on a track. Berry Gordy didn't do that, neither did Gamble & Huff or George Martin or Bob Rock. That just happenens with "beat maker" producers like Timbaland. Teddy can't conduct an orchestra like the one on "Soul Bossa Nova". Teddy is just a programmer. Anybody can do that. Now Prince, George Michael, Roger Troutman, & Stevie Wonder work by themselves and do real productions.

yeah its odd he'd finish it like this "Our souls were joined, you know. And a piece of it goes with him."
That little tag line of "he didn't want to be black" is something he probably knew would get everyone talking about his interview. Great little quote for a headline plastered over papers.

Yeah during the trail on Access Hollywood or one of these shows, when asked about MJ , he said Mike wasn't his friend. Just a BUSINESS ASSOCIATE. Quincy is as fake as they come. In my opinion he gets way too much credit for Mike's success. Lets face it would anyone know who he was if it wasn't for Mike? I dont think so. JMO

Yeah during the trail on Access Hollywood or one of these shows, when asked about MJ , he said Mike wasn't his friend. Just a BUSINESS ASSOCIATE. Quincy is as fake as they come. In my opinion he gets way too much credit for Mike's success. Lets face it would anyone know who he was if it wasn't for Mike? I dont think so. JMO
Q was well known long before he hooked up with Mike

to answer the teddy riley vs quincy jones comparison. Off the Wall and Thriller are more respected albums to the media and non fans than Dangerous. Even non fans who listened to Dangerous still favor Michaels earlier work with Quincy.

The angry singing side of MJ is cool for 1 song but multiple jusnt catchy to ur average music fan turning on the radio. They want to hear tracks they can sing along to.

Only in the jazz world really, lol. Thriller turned Quincy into a household name.
Leslie Gore, Little Richard, B.B. King, Brothers Johnson, Ringo Starr, Minnie Riperton, & Ashford and Simpson aren't jazz. Q didn't do much music production after Thriller, he did movie production, so that's irrelevant. Jam & Lewis and LA & Babyface were the people to go to in the mid and late 80s

I don't care what Quincy thinks about Michael's skin. He can have an opinion even if he is mistaken.

I still love Quincy and I think he has been a great producer and mentor to Michael. Maybe their relationship cooled a bit when Michael left him, maybe he didn't fully understand Michael as a person, but Michael was not easy to understand and Quincy is not a psychologist to figure him out. He cared for Michael, the musician.

Q was well known long before he hooked up with Mike

He was well Known in the Jazz world. He wasn't "famous" How many Jazz producers do we know of? The thing that bugs me is when u hear Q , u think he made Mike, n Mike had nothing to do with his success. You would think Mike wasn't famous before Quincy came along. Q wasn't the one on stage during Motown 25th, Q wasn't involved in the Thriller video etc. Not talking anything away from Quincy , But Mike's sheer talent is what took Mike to the next level, not Quincy.

Teddy Riley is awesome since back in the Blackstreet days. Quincy is awesome too but they are from two completely different styles and era's of music.

I have no clue if anything happened between Q and Mike but I'm sure if it did they made up after a while. Way too much history there.

didnt they argue over the production of BAD? quincy wanted more instruments and mike wanted it to be more electronic or sum ish

Not sure but he seems bitter to me about something. At least some of the quotes I've seen attributed to him.

It annoys me too that Q gets so much credit for Thriller.

Michael himself said that Thriller was all his, all of what had been in his head for so long coming out, he's the one who wanted every song to be a hit instead of the industry standard of just one or two with the rest filler songs, AND I thought he CO-produced the album along with Michael...? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I don't have the original album.

I never heard of Q before nor after Thriller unless someone was referring to Thriller.

In an interview shortly after Michael passed, he talked about a conversation years ago where (according to him) Michael said that rap was dead...he told Michael no it wasn't, then the next thing he knew Michael was working with some rappers and paying them 5 times as much as he paid him. He started the story by saying "I have to be honest".

My first thought was OH, so the truth finally comes out...that's why he had issues with Michael...never heard about that before.

But who cares what he thinks about Michael...besides he's buddies with Oprah anyways...birds of a feather.

there was a radio interview with quincy about a month before Michael died. He was saying some pretty mean things such as, Michael didnt want to be black, he had skin peals...etc :(

Back