"Wanna Be Startin' Something" on the Sony commercial

If Santana's album won for best recording engineer as well, he had 8 Grammys in one night tiding Michael's record. So, it's still an unbeatable one indeed.

5oz5mw.jpg

^ Some were the same, some not.

He won

album of the year (Supernatural),
record of the year (Smooth with Rob Thomas)
song of the year (Smooth with Rob Thomas)
best pop performance by a duo or group with vocals (Maria, Maria with The Product G&B)
best pop collaboration with vocals (Smooth with Rob Thomas)
best pop instrumental performance (El Farol)
Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal (Put Your Lights Out with Everlast)
best instrumental performance (The Calling with Eric Clapton)
best rock album (Supernatural - shared with Steve Fontano engineer/mixer and Clive Davis producer)

Thing is his album was all about collaborations with other artists and the Grammys love to shower such albums with awards. (Quincy Jones' Back on the Block was showered with 7 Grammys in 1989 because that too was an album with collaborations, but it wasn't that a great of an album, definitely not as significant or great as the awards suggest.)
I don't think it would have been so awarded if it was just Santana alone.

^ Some were the same, some not.

He won

album of the year (Supernatural),
record of the year (Smooth with Rob Thomas)
song of the year (Smooth with Rob Thomas)
best pop performance by a duo or group with vocals (Maria, Maria with The Product G&B)
best pop collaboration with vocals (Smooth with Rob Thomas)
best pop instrumental performance (El Farol)
Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal (Put Your Lights Out with Everlast)
best instrumental performance (The Calling with Eric Clapton)
best rock album (Supernatural - shared with Steve Fontano engineer/mixer and Clive Davis producer)

Thing is his album was all about collaborations with other artists and the Grammys love to shower such albums with awards. (Quincy Jones' Back on the Block was showered with 7 Grammys in 1989 because that too was an album with collaborations, but it wasn't that a great of an album, definitely not as significant or great as the awards suggest.)
I don't think it would have been so awarded if it was just Santana alone.

^Thanks that is what I was trying to see, if this was all solo Santana because with Michael it was solo Michael Jackson. These distinctions need to be made when people compare achievement. Sometimes those comparisons are not equal. I love Santana especially that black magic woman (song makes me want to go wild, like spinning quickly through the streets), but I can't compare a sole performer earning 8 grammys with a collaboration. Sorry.

Re: William Orbit working on Michael & Freddie Mercury duet

Did Spike Lee shoot this commercial? He already said WBSS is his favorite MJ song, that might explain it's use in the Sony ad.

Back