Vote: The Greatest Song Of The Last Decade

I like 'You Rock My World' but with all due respect how can the song of the decade not be Mariah Carey's 'We Belong Together'?

From wiki:

[Charmbracelet's] second single, "We Belong Together", became a "career re-defining" song for Carey, at a point when many critics had considered her career over. Music critics heralded the song as her "return to form", as well as the "return of The Voice", while many felt it would revive "faith" in Carey's potential as a balladeer. "We Belong Together" broke several records in the United States and became Carey's sixteenth chart topper on the Billboard Hot 100. After staying at number one for fourteen non-consecutive weeks, the song became the second longest running number one song in US chart history, behind Carey's 1996 collaboration with Boyz II Men, "One Sweet Day". Billboard listed it as the "song of the decade" and the ninth most popular song of all time. Besides its chart success, the song broke several airplay records, and according to Nielsen BDS, gathered both the largest one-day and one-week audiences in history.

During the week of September 25, 2005, Carey set another record, becoming the first female to occupy the first two spots atop the Hot 100, as "We Belong Together" remained at number one, and her next single, "Shake It Off" moved into the number two spot.

Michael Jackson fans, including myself, usually become apoplectic when, say, Madonna or Prince, is voted, or even considered, 'the artist of the 80s,' and rightfully so because we correctly point out that the accolades and consensus say Michael was. So how can we deny Mariah this accolade when by every criteria 'We Belong Together' deserves to be the song of the decade over 'You Rock My World' [and the other songs in the poll]? Obviously, I don't prefer Mariah over Michael as an overall artist, far from it in fact! I'm merely pointing out that 'We Belong Together' was much more successful and serviceable to Mariah career's than "You Rock My World' was to Michael's. Irrelevant to the discussion, I also like it more. I also don't think the first decade of the 21st century was Michael's decade, to put it mildly.

I also can't say I'm a fan of repeat voting by any of the artists' fan bases as in my opinion it runs contrary to the spirit of the enterprise and renders it a no longer genuine reflection of people's opinions. Indeed, if you attempted that in any election you'd be charged with voter fraud!

I like 'You Rock My World' but with all due respect how can the song of the decade not be Mariah Carey's 'We Belong Together'?

From wiki:

Michael Jackson fans, including myself, usually become apoplectic when, say, Madonna or Prince, is voted, or even considered, 'the artist of the 80s,' and rightfully so because we correctly point out that the accolades and consensus say Michael was. So how can we deny Mariah this accolade when by every criteria 'We Belong Together' deserves to be the song of the decade over 'You Rock My World' [and the other songs in the poll]? Obviously, I don't prefer Mariah over Michael as an overall artist, far from it in fact! I'm merely pointing out that 'We Belong Together' was much more successful and serviceable to Mariah career's than "You Rock My World' was to Michael's. Irrelevant to the discussion, I also like it more. I also don't think the first decade of the 21st century was Michael's decade, to put it mildly.

I also can't say I'm a fan of repeat voting by any of the artists' fan bases as in my opinion it runs contrary to the spirit of the enterprise and renders it a no longer genuine reflection of people's opinions. Indeed, if you attempted that in any election you'd be charged with voter fraud!

A very honest and (IMO) realistic post. Thanks.

A victory that is one because a handful of fans repeatedly vote is a shallow one indeed.
YRMW was NOT the best song of the decade. MJ was NOT a musical force in the 00s at all IMO.

C'mon it's not that serious. Comparing it to fraud at the elections... If a poll allows repeated voting then it's not a fraud as each and every fan base has many members who repeatedly vote for that artist. I can assure you it's not just MJ fans...
If they don't want repeated voting then they set measures which make it impossible or very hard. But most of the time the goal of such internet polls is actually get fans vote repeatedly and click on and refresh the page many times so the whole goal from the POV of the website is to generate traffic.

Having said that, I agree that You Rock My World wasn't the song of the decade (heck, it's not even the best song on Invincible) and I haven't even voted, but the whole thing is not that serious. And you can vote a song Song of the Decade based on many criteria and not everyone's criteria has to be chart success and sales. If that would be the case then why would we need such polls at all? You simply look on the charts and data and determine the outcome based on that. No need for polls then. It's just fun. You feel Mariah's song was Song of the Decade. Then vote for it. Simple.

Honestly, I think polls like these more show how dedicated the fanbase of said star is. Yes, "legitmately" Mariah Carey's 'We Belong Together' is the song of the decade BUT even the poll makers themselves state:
"Last month, we asked you to name a song released between the year 2000 and now- using the impact you feel made it on Pop culture (and not its sales) as the basis for your decision."

It makes me happy to see Michael is at the top because it means plenty of his fans were willing to take some time out of their day and continually vote until he was on top. Even if the other stars have had more sales, to me, it's how much the community cares shows me how big of an impact the artist made. Even if it's not necessarily that song which made that impact (although I personally love that song and believe its music video is superior to the others).

DangerousSC;3876163 said:
Honestly, I think polls like these more show how dedicated the fanbase of said star is. Yes, "legitmately" Mariah Carey's 'We Belong Together' is the song of the decade BUT even the poll makers themselves state:
"Last month, we asked you to name a song released between the year 2000 and now- using the impact you feel made it on Pop culture (and not its sales) as the basis for your decision."
It makes me happy to see Michael is at the top because it means plenty of his fans were willing to take some time out of their day and continually vote until he was on top. Even if the other stars have had more sales, to me, it's how much the community cares shows me how big of an impact the artist made. Even if it's not necessarily that song which made that impact (although I personally love that song and believe its music video is superior to the others).
Exactly. Polls like this are a way for the site to get more traffic and for fans to show their support. It’s not a real reflection of people’s opinions on the topic, polls like this never are. If it’s possible to vote repeatedly then of course some fans are going to vote multiple times. Sure, it means the poll is more a competition of who has the most active fans and not a reflection of the general public’s opinion, but that’s what these polls always are.

If I had to choose the greatest song with the most impact from that list I would pick Toxic, but I voted for YRMW instead, even though honestly I don’t think it's the greatest song of the decade. But this poll shows who has the most active fanbase, and I want people to see that no matter how much some people ridicule and bash Michael, he still has lots of fans who support him. Online polls may not be hugely important, but it’s always nice to see that Michael can win against the likes of Gaga and Bieber, young artists who have huge, dedicated fanbases.

Back