Vegetarians/vegans?

morsmordre

Proud Member
Hey, just wondering if any of you are vegetarian or vegan! Maybe we can share recipes and just chat in general? :)

I was raised on meat but when I was 16 I became ovo-lacto vegetarian.. I've been thinking of ditching the eggs and dairy products too now.. but I don't know if I could go full out vegan (no honey?! :eek:)

I'm not one, but man do I hate the ones who try to preach to everyone else. I was just having this conversation with someone--about how the more someone preaches against something, the more it makes me want to do it lol.

With that said, I don't drink dairy products because I prefer almond milk to regular milk. However, I have nothing against eating meat, etc. I don't really eat meat, though, but that's because you have to, like, cook it--so that's a no for me. :p

I'm vegetarian. Mainly because I love animals and I hate to see them mistreated on such a huge scale just because people like to eat them every day. Meat is unneccesary in the end and if people would stop eating meat or at least lessen the amount they eat, it would not only spare many animal lives, it would also have an enourmously positive effect on global warming and world hunger would be diminished greatly because we wouldn't have to feed the massive amount of animals anymore.

I quit meat animal per animal. Really irrational, but I skipped horse, rabbit and lamb first, because I found them the cutest (I was a kid...), then I stopped eating pig, then cow, then all land animals, then all birds, then fish, then shrimp and other water creatures. I still eat dairy and eggs and own a couple of leather bags and shoes. In the most ideal scenario I will eventually be totally free of animal products, but I don't know if it's realistic for me (my husband cooks most often and his carnivore self can just adjust because of the existence of eggs and cheese). However I do have cats, and I think it is cruel to make them vegetarian (although people have sucessfully done so). So it's almost impossible to be 100% cruelty free I guess.

About vegetarianism and MJ: I remember an ad from the nineties which listed lots of vegetarian celebrities, Michael and Madonna among them, and then it said: So why not you? I guess Michael made an exception for KFC later on ;)

For good vegetarian food I love Indian food. Great tasty vegetarian kitchen they have. My favorite restaurant is a Dutch vegetarian restaurant and they make the most creative dishes. I hardly cook myself so I can't think of any favourite recepies right now.

I've been vegan for about 3 months. After seeing the cruelty involved in the meat and dairy industry, I really had no other choice, as I love animals. Also, hearing about the impact the industry is having on the Earth and the environment was very disturbing and was further reason for me to go vegan. I'm loving it so far. :D

I'm not one, but man do I hate the ones who try to preach to everyone else. I was just having this conversation with someone--about how the more someone preaches against something, the more it makes me want to do it lol.

With that said, I don't drink dairy products because I prefer almond milk to regular milk. However, I have nothing against eating meat, etc. I don't really eat meat, though, but that's because you have to, like, cook it--so that's a no for me. :p

What do you eat then?

I understand your annoyance about the preachy ones that don't eat meat (my last post was kinda preachy, but it soon is when explaining reasons for being veg). But at the same time I've often been called out by meat eaters (at a BBQ or something) with interrogative questions about why I would possibly be a vegetarian. I think that's the world reversed. No matter how you turn it, it can't possibly called a bad thing to spare animal's lives. While eating them, could be argued, is.

I'm vegetarian. Mainly because I love animals and I hate to see them mistreated on such a huge scale just because people like to eat them every day. Meat is unneccesary in the end and if people would stop eating meat or at least lessen the amount they eat, it would not only spare many animal lives, it would also have an enourmously positive effect on global warming and world hunger would be diminished greatly because we wouldn't have to feed the massive amount of animals anymore.

I quit meat animal per animal. Really irrational, but I skipped horse, rabbit and lamb first, because I found them the cutest (I was a kid...), then I stopped eating pig, then cow, then all land animals, then all birds, then fish, then shrimp and other water creatures. I still eat dairy and eggs and own a couple of leather bags and shoes. In the most ideal scenario I will eventually be totally free of animal products, but I don't know if it's realistic for me (my husband cooks most often and his carnivore self can just adjust because of the existence of eggs and cheese). However I do have cats, and I think it is cruel to make them vegetarian (although people have sucessfully done so). So it's almost impossible to be 100% cruelty free I guess.

About vegetarianism and MJ: I remember an ad from the nineties which listed lots of vegetarian celebrities, Michael and Madonna among them, and then it said: So why not you? I guess Michael made an exception for KFC later on ;)

For good vegetarian food I love Indian food. Great tasty vegetarian kitchen they have. My favorite restaurant is a Dutch vegetarian restaurant and they make the most creative dishes. I hardly cook myself so I can't think of any favourite recepies right now.

I wish I had become veg when I was younger.. I was just not really in the know I guess... and I just ate whatever my mom fed me :p I never really liked beef except for burger and meatballs.. so that was the first to go. Then pork, but we hardly ate that anyway. The hardest for me was chicken because it was the most eaten protein in our house.. and I really did love it. I still do love chicken but I wouldn't eat it again. Fish was the last to go but I was a pescatarian for a bit of time.

At the end of the day, I think it would be great if everyone was a vegetarian or conscious of their meat intake and how that affects the planet/the livelihoods of animals.. but I'm mostly concerned about myself.. and knowing that I don't consume meat makes me happier :)

Was Mike actually vegetarian or was that a rumour.. because we know he loved his KFC

Indian food is AMAZING! One of my housemates is Indian (and vegetarian) and just the variety of delicious food they eat is amazing. So many choices!

I've been vegan for about 3 months. After seeing the cruelty involved in the meat and dairy industry, I really had no other choice, as I love animals. Also, hearing about the impact the industry is having on the Earth and the environment was very disturbing and was further reason for me to go vegan. I'm loving it so far. :D

Did you go from omni to vegan or from vegetarian to vegan? I would love to be vegan but the most I think I could be is a strict vegetarian (what I'm trying now). I barely eat plain eggs to begin with so I'll just have to look out for eggs that are in baked goods. And I'm slightly lactose intolerant so I try to avoid milk anyway :p

I don't like preachy vegetarians either! :p Like you said, they make more people not want to become vegetarian haha

I have become one in the last months... For me, its for medical reasons... Meat was giving me more aches and pains in joints, stomach, bowels so I did the 'veggie' counter at my local supermarket and I :wub: it...

They have veggie stuff that you don't even see its 'veggie stuff' I already fooled my grandma with it and she's a real meat eater and she loved it...
Its Soya protein and wheat protein...

Oh, they even have salami and ham in 'veggie' style :smilerolleyes:
I still do eat comfort food though like pancakes... Yummy but that's with BIO stuff...

I was having probs with colourings and preservatives in food too so since August 2010... NO more of that and I feel much better :punk:

Recipes? I have a wonderful book called "200 Veggie Feasts" :wub:
It has turned me into a cooking princess :doh:

I don't really call myself a vegan or vegatarian though... I just eat HEALTHY!
Okay, once a week I do eat chicken as I visit my parents and I can't 'force' them to serve 'veggie' stuff right :mello:

What do you eat then?

I understand your annoyance about the preachy ones that don't eat meat (my last post was kinda preachy, but it soon is when explaining reasons for being veg). But at the same time I've often been called out by meat eaters (at a BBQ or something) with interrogative questions about why I would possibly be a vegetarian. I think that's the world reversed. No matter how you turn it, it can't possibly called a bad thing to spare animal's lives. While eating them, could be argued, is.

Nah, you were just expressing your personal reasons and there's nothing wrong with that. Had you said "you should all think about those poor animals, etc. how DARE you eat meat, you're the second coming of Stalin..." or something like that, it would have been of great annoyance to me. However, you did nothing of the sort, and only told us why you personally choose to be vegetarian. That's something I can respect.

My personal stance for supporting the meat and the fur/leather industry through my purchases is--I wouldn't do anything to an animal that I would have a problem with doing to a person.

I dislike the people who question other people's motives for doing things too. It's rather rude, I think. In the end, whatever one's personal decision is, is one's own to have.

As for eating them--there's population control, and that's a good thing. For a long time, eating meat was actually a really good thing--until the mass commercialization of the meat industry, which is where you get all the problems with global warming, cruelty to animals, decline in the quality of the product, et cetera. The same could be said for vegetables, though--the large demand for food in general prompts people to up their quantity (i.e. injecting cows with hormones to produce more milk, genetically modifying vegetables, and using pesticides to take care of large crops--which harm the ozone layer among other things.)

The way one would reduce things like global warming would be by going back to the agrarian manner of living--to grow and use one's own vegetables and farm animals for consumption. This is highly inconvenient, however, and we've become so accustomed to technology's use in both the meat and vegetable industries, that going agrarian is practically impossible, and going organic and local is, especially in places where the weather does not permit for such things, overly expensive and for most people (especially the poor) not truly worth the effort.

In my opinion, the real problem is overpopulation of the human race--even if we all become vegans, there's still too many of us, and we all use a disgusting amount of resources. The way it's going, there seems no other way to go but up with all the people having babies, especially in developing countries where birth control and pregnancy prevention/abortion are not practiced. The "going green" and being vegan would be akin to placing a bandaid on a bullet wound--in the end, it doesn't really fix the problem at all. The times prior to ours never faced this problem because disease got rid of people--with all the scientific breakthroughs we've had in the last century, most diseases aren't affecting us on a large scale like they used to in centuries prior. There's certainly no easy fix for any of what we've done in just this century alone.

As for what I eat...well, I eat KFC whenever I can, and I usually eat pringles, ramen noodles, tea, biscuits, and coffee.

@Daryll--that's really also part of the reason I don't eat much meat. My stomach reacts badly to it (and some vegetables as well.) However, it seems to have no problem with ramen noodles or pringles, lol!

Last edited:
Did you go from omni to vegan or from vegetarian to vegan? I would love to be vegan but the most I think I could be is a strict vegetarian (what I'm trying now). I barely eat plain eggs to begin with so I'll just have to look out for eggs that are in baked goods. And I'm slightly lactose intolerant so I try to avoid milk anyway :p
I went from omni to vegan. I had been a vegetarian in the past, so I knew being a vegan wouldn't be very difficult for me. It was surprisingly easy actually.

Pescetarian- and try to explain that to somebody... I'm equally unpopular with both meat eaters and vegetarians/vegans.

I started out as ovo-lacto vegetarian when I turned 20 and until then I loved meat. I just stopped, not gradually, pretty abruptly.
The good thing was that is somewhat forced me to learn to cook- unless I wanted to be eating cooked to death veggies and potatoes for the rest of my life- no fun.

I do enjoy cheese and the like far too much and I can't see myself stopping eating the seafood either anytime soon- I feel rather energized after some grilled fish. I did try to substitute the quick protein fix plant wise- but I honestly feel better eating seafood.

I already have issues energy wise, and for some reason cutting out seafood doesn't do me well.

I do not have moral issues with eating meat itself- I have issues with the mass consumption of 100 different cows being used for some unidentifiable burger- that is definitely not how farmers ate. You had one or two cows- not hundreds mixed together- and issues with the huge amount of meat that the regular western person seems to consume.

When I do buy meat for the other meat eaters here I do buy organic meat to support local farmers whose cows eat actual grass on a meadow- not 'a vegetarian grain died' of dried 'whatever'.

I do not have moral issues with eating meat itself- I have issues with the mass consumption of 100 different cows being used for some unidentifiable burger- that is definitely not how farmers ate. You had one or two cows- not hundreds mixed together- and issues with the huge amount of meat that the regular western person seems to consume.

When I do buy meat for the other meat eaters here I do buy organic meat to support local farmers whose cows eat actual grass on a meadow- not 'a vegetarian grain died' of dried 'whatever'.

My point exactly. There is no problem with eating meat--or vegetables, for that matter. The problem is how these are grown, and there are nasty things in both the meat and vegetable industry when large factories/farms are involved. Locally grown and organic meat and vegetables from nearby farms serve as far healthier than their big chain counterparts, however, they are also more expensive and not everyone can afford organic (I used to work at a grocery store, and the organic fruits/vegetables and locally grown meat were always so much more expensive than the regular stuff.)

Organic/local can work if you earn a good amount of money, or if you're just supporting yourself, but if you have a large family to take care of and a fixed income, it becomes increasingly difficult to choose to eat healthy because processed food is so much cheaper.

My personal stance for supporting the meat and the fur/leather industry through my purchases is--I wouldn't do anything to an animal that I would have a problem with doing to a person.

You would skin people alive, lock them in a cage with no room to turn around and eat them? Sorry if I misread your statement. Or I must be afraid... I think there's actually more reason to stand up for animal rights than for people's as they can't defend themselves to our industrial way of handling them.

I agree with you about overpopulation. But as long as there are this many people we should do something to turn the tide as the pressure on land is just too grave right now. This counts for the oceans too. If you have some spare time left and wnat to know more about the effects of the meat industry besides animal cruelty, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Jfgkp_mRM (all parts)
Or read Safran Foer's Eating Animals.

No offence to anyone, really. But if you think people are being preachy, it's because you have no idea of the reality of this situation. And we do. So before you start having a go at us, educate yourself on the full facts of this issue.
By buying animal products you are feeding an industry which is literally destroying the planet. This isn't just about animal welfare and cruelty. This is also about us and our future.

"The way we are breeding animals for food is a threat to the planet. It pollutes our environment while consuming huge amounts of water, grain, petroleum, pesticides and drugs. The results are disastrous."

http://www.peta2.com/p2vsk2_flash/

I've been a vegetarian from birth, in fact, the whole family has. We mainly eat Indian dishes but love Italian too. I haven't had a single meat product in my life and never will, I can't get my head around the idea of eating an animal and would rather starve then eat some chicken. I'm not a big animal lover or anything like that and people tell me I'm missing out on protein etc but I'm tall/healthy enough for my age so that doesn't bother me. I have no problems with other people eating meat and they do so regularly next to me when out for meals with friends/colleagues. Just don't you dare use that meat covered fork when trying some of my veg food!

I am a vegetarian twice a week, because am fasting, as well as about 4 months a year for the Lents. Am currently fasting for the Easter Lent.

I do not eat meat but I do eat fish. I have done this off and on for a long time but have stuck with it for over a year now (apart from turkey at Christmas - we had other people there who wanted the traditional turkey).

I feel a lot of guilt surrounding meat and have not been able to eat it without feeling this for some time. I dislike the way animals are treated when they are bred for meat purposes only. I can't see how it is natural. Our instinct as a human being is to hunt for food (meat included) when we need it, not the process that happens these days (I still think of fishing as more natural, and fish are less aware/subjected to cruelty than the birds/mammals are).

Only eating fish kind of suits my lifestyle anyway since my boyfriend moved in. He does eat meat but only if it's Halal (our turkey at Christmas was Halal). We can both buy/eat fish from anywhere without any worry/guilt. For other meals we use things like quorn chicken/mince, make nut roasts etc.

There are times when I think I ought to on occasion eat chicken for a protein boost but I just feel so bad about it. So much meat gets thrown away by supermarkets that it makes me think "did that animal really need to die?"

When I was a kid my father insisted that if we didn't eat meat then certain animals would just become extinct altogether which I kind of believed at the time but nowadays I am less sure as a lot of meat animals have other uses (milk, wool, eggs etc) and also sometimes I find myself thinking maybe it's not such a bad thing if they did as at least they wouldn't suffer anymore.

Sorry if that sounds preachy or whatever, it wasn't meant to be, it's just my personal feelings on the situation.

I am a vegetarian since I was 8 years old and learned that meat came from animals! I am thinking about becoming a vegan. But I need good recepies! I know lots of great vegetarian recepies, but almost all of them contain cheese. Does anyone have good vegan ones?

I also try to eat bread that has no sugar in it (sometimes hard to find!) and eat little sugar anyway. The only thing I cannot resist from time to time is chocolate. As long as it is fair trade of course. :)

I hope to get some good recepies from you all! :-D

I do not eat meat but I do eat fish. I have done this off and on for a long time but have stuck with it for over a year now (apart from turkey at Christmas - we had other people there who wanted the traditional turkey).

I feel a lot of guilt surrounding meat and have not been able to eat it without feeling this for some time. I dislike the way animals are treated when they are bred for meat purposes only. I can't see how it is natural. Our instinct as a human being is to hunt for food (meat included) when we need it, not the process that happens these days (I still think of fishing as more natural, and fish are less aware/subjected to cruelty than the birds/mammals are).

Only eating fish kind of suits my lifestyle anyway since my boyfriend moved in. He does eat meat but only if it's Halal (our turkey at Christmas was Halal). We can both buy/eat fish from anywhere without any worry/guilt. For other meals we use things like quorn chicken/mince, make nut roasts etc.

There are times when I think I ought to on occasion eat chicken for a protein boost but I just feel so bad about it. So much meat gets thrown away by supermarkets that it makes me think "did that animal really need to die?"

When I was a kid my father insisted that if we didn't eat meat then certain animals would just become extinct altogether which I kind of believed at the time but nowadays I am less sure as a lot of meat animals have other uses (milk, wool, eggs etc) and also sometimes I find myself thinking maybe it's not such a bad thing if they did as at least they wouldn't suffer anymore.

Sorry if that sounds preachy or whatever, it wasn't meant to be, it's just my personal feelings on the situation.

Thanks for sharing your story. The extinct reason to eat meat I have never heard before. I think it's silly as it has this premise that if we don't need an animal for human consumption it is of no use whatsoever. An animal has the right to live a life just to be an animal, not to serve a human's purpose.

I was a pescetarian for the longest time, like you. I felt less guilty because in a way I could less relate to fish than to mammals and I thought it was less cruel as well. Until my eyes were opened by this film http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mo7rQBFMfE (all parts) Fish do feel pain and the oceans will be empty within 40 years when fishing with trawlers continues he way it does this moment. And also the health claims of fish are disputable, especially for things like sword fish and other predatory fish as they eat all the crap the ocean is polluted with. Sorry, don't mean to make you feel bad about your choices (I think it's really admirable you don't eat meat), but I do think people have to wake up from the myth that eating fish is not as problematic as eating meat.

No offence to anyone, really. But if you think people are being preachy, it's because you have no idea of the reality of this situation. And we do. So before you start having a go at us, educate yourself on the full facts of this issue.
By buying animal products you are feeding an industry which is literally destroying the planet. This isn't just about animal welfare and cruelty. This is also about us and our future.

"The way we are breeding animals for food is a threat to the planet. It pollutes our environment while consuming huge amounts of water, grain, petroleum, pesticides and drugs. The results are disastrous."

http://www.peta2.com/p2vsk2_flash/

I agree with you 100%. I can't grasp it that if people would really take in the cold hard facts, they would still choose to eat meat everyday. That's just a sign of utter indiffrence. So the preachy ones just want to educate people to make them open their eyes. It's so frustrating when people don't even want to know how the food on their plate was produced and what that implicates. I think humans should be more conscious in all aspects of life, but this issue is really a blind spot for so many, just because it's the norm to eat meat. This has to change.

I lived with an animal activist for over four years and it was annoying as hell, especially when he took home 400 rabbits freed from a lab that were all over the place, but in the end I do think he was right, morally speaking. So yes, preachy people may be annoying, but it's not just a belief they preach, they preach facts that are overlooked by too many.

I agree with you 100%. I can't grasp it that if people would really take in the cold hard facts, they would still choose to eat meat everyday. That's just a sign of utter indiffrence. So the preachy ones just want to educate people to make them open their eyes. It's so frustrating when people don't even want to know how the food on their plate was produced and what that implicates. I think humans should be more conscious in all aspects of life, but this issue is really a blind spot for so many, just because it's the norm to eat meat. This has to change.

I lived with an animal activist for over four years and it was annoying as hell, especially when he took home 400 rabbits freed from a lab that were all over the place, but in the end I do think he was right, morally speaking. So yes, preachy people may be annoying, but it's not just a belief they preach, they preach facts that are overlooked by too many.

Hmm I agree. I do think that not a lot of people realise what they're doing when they consume so much meat at every meal of the day. But preachy vegetarians will not get the point across. I know what it's like to be preached at (not about vegetarianism of course :p) and all it does is make me put my barriers up and not care at all what that person is saying.

Now if there could be some way to open people's eyes about this issue without having people think that we're being preachy... but some people will always feel that way.

I'm the only vegetarian in my family, and I've been one for about 4 years now... and still I get remarks from time to time, even though I've told them my reasons they just don't seem to really care.

I think it just goes down to the fact that humans think we're the highest animal form and any other creature was put on earth for our consumption :(

I would L.O.V.E. to be a vegetarian. I have given up eating most meats. The only meats I would eat mostly now is chicken, turkey, fish, and shrimp. As for red meat I really don't eat much of it any more. And I totally given up eating all pork products some years ago. And at one time I used to be a big time meat eater. But now when I think how those poor animals are killed for food. It just really turns me off for wanting to eat them. And this is coming from someone who spent the first 15 years growing up on my grandfather's dairy farm where I ate his own cows. He would always have his cows slaughter for us to eat. Eating meat is something we always did and never think twice about it. Because the one thing that my now late grandmother his wife had always said God had put animals on Earth for people to eat. But now I am really thinking that and I have just totally stopped eating most meat products. And I really don't miss at all eating the meats that I used to eat at one time.

Hmm I agree. I do think that not a lot of people realise what they're doing when they consume so much meat at every meal of the day. But preachy vegetarians will not get the point across. I know what it's like to be preached at (not about vegetarianism of course :p) and all it does is make me put my barriers up and not care at all what that person is saying.

Now if there could be some way to open people's eyes about this issue without having people think that we're being preachy... but some people will always feel that way.

I'm the only vegetarian in my family, and I've been one for about 4 years now... and still I get remarks from time to time, even though I've told them my reasons they just don't seem to really care.

I think it just goes down to the fact that humans think we're the highest animal form and any other creature was put on earth for our consumption :(

Good for you for being persistant, eventhough your family is not always understanding.

We should have more respect for animals indeed. It's perposterous that people think it's their right to kill animals on such a large scale. It's just not right, no matter how you look at it. The potential for more animal love is there as many people love their pets like their closest friends and children are told cute and moralistic stories with animals being the heroes in it. But somehow, because 'everybody does it', it's normal to have that cute running lamb you pointed out in the fields to your kids or the duck you fed in the park, somehow it's normal to eat their brothers and sisters at night. I don't understand, although for a long time I wasn't putting these two extremes of endearment and indifferntly eating together as not quite right. It's a matter of not wanting/understanding to see the cruel truth behind the food on your plate.

Í don´t want to eat meat...........warning for heartbreaking pictures
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/17822580" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/17822580">Silent Night: A Message for the Animals</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user5484993">Frannie Tull</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Ugh. I feel so conflicted right now. My dog died last night and this afternoon I was lying in bed depressed and I started craving chicken really badly. After a lot of deliberation, me and my friend went to McDonald's and I had a chicken burger... and it felt so good to eat.
I feel guilty now... but part of me doesn't want to stop eating it.
I don't know why I suddenly want it again. I could quite happily never eat pork or beef again. I wouldn't want to, but for some reason, I want chicken again and I feel bad because it's cruel. My sister said humans are not meant to be vegans. We're omnivores, and I get what she's saying... but the way we treat these poor animals. It's so wrong. :(

Ugh. I feel so conflicted right now. My dog died last night and this afternoon I was lying in bed depressed and I started craving chicken really badly. After a lot of deliberation, me and my friend went to McDonald's and I had a chicken burger... and it felt so good to eat.
I don't know why I suddenly want it again. I could quite happily never eat pork or beef again. I wouldn't want to, but for some reason, I want chicken again and I feel bad because it's cruel. My sister said humans are not meant to be vegans. We're omnivores, and I get what she's saying... but the way we treat these poor animals. It's so wrong. :(

You grew up omni right? Since you very recently became vegan, you'll definitely get cravings! Reminds me of the first week of being vegetarian, I forgot that I decided to change my diet and ate like 3 turkey bites before realising what I was doing :lol:

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about eating that chicken burger. Also, you're upset that your dog died so that can affect the choices you make. Maybe wait until tomorrow to see how you feel. If eating it makes you feel guilty then you mustn't really want it right?

*hugs* about your dog :(

Awww! I'm so sorry for your dog. That's so sad. I can't imagine how I would feel if my 17-year old feline friend dies. Don't be too harsh on yourself. If you do eat chicken again, don't eat McDonalds but a chicken that had had a life at least. But maybe your cravings will pass with the sadness. I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for sharing your story. The extinct reason to eat meat I have never heard before. I think it's silly as it has this premise that if we don't need an animal for human consumption it is of no use whatsoever. An animal has the right to live a life just to be an animal, not to serve a human's purpose.

I was a pescetarian for the longest time, like you. I felt less guilty because in a way I could less relate to fish than to mammals and I thought it was less cruel as well. Until my eyes were opened by this film http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mo7rQBFMfE (all parts) Fish do feel pain and the oceans will be empty within 40 years when fishing with trawlers continues he way it does this moment. And also the health claims of fish are disputable, especially for things like sword fish and other predatory fish as they eat all the crap the ocean is polluted with. Sorry, don't mean to make you feel bad about your choices (I think it's really admirable you don't eat meat), but I do think people have to wake up from the myth that eating fish is not as problematic as eating meat.

Yeah I agree totally that an animal has a right to a life outside of serving humans, I think what my father was trying to get across to me was that farmers would stop breeding these animals if they couldn't make money from them, and that these animals were no longer conditioned to live in the wild. But I disagree with both of those things because a.) farmers could still sell other things these animals produce and b.) there are examples of all these animals who do live and survive in the wild so I think he's totally wrong and extremely selfish in his views.

Wow thankyou for opening my eyes about the fish situation. You are exactly right, I find it easier to relate to a mammal than a fish. But this has certainly made me think about it. Thanks for sharing this information.

Back